Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
JMS was the lead writer for The Real Ghostbusters. It might had to do with the show having a little more to it than just being a standard kids show at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The rest of the scene immediately after that is also jam packed with characterization. When they step out of the elevator Ray and Egon are swinging their proton wands around like they're a SWAT team but Peter just ambles out without even turning his pack on, etc etc..

Someone pointed out something I found very interesting in one of the Star Wars threads, in that the Reboots and Remakes we see so often these days are reverentially focused on objects. In the example given, in The Force Awakens, Rey opens up a box and we get a lovingly focused shot of Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber. It fills the whole frame as if screaming 'THIS IS IMPORTANT.' In the original, Obi-Wan hands Luke the lightsaber, he swings it around a couple of times, puts it away, and that's that.

GB16 does the same thing, in that we get not only a montage of them testing out the proton pack, we later see one of the characters breaking down exactly what it does and how it does it a long scene of pointless technobabble jargon. In the original film once again, the proton packs simply show up in a scene. It gets mentioned that they're potentially dangerous, but they work, and that's all we the audience needs to know about them. Who cares how the trap captures ghosts? All that matters is that it does.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

You know what really sucks about GB2016? The ghosts are loving boring. All of them lose the original movies' design aesthetics where the spirits of bad people become deformed and corrupted to reflect their negative personalities. Like if you were a metaphorical monster in life, you spend the rest of eternity as a literal monster haunting the living. Check out the ghosts from the intros of both GB'84 and GB2016:

The OG Ghostbusters ghost is loving terrifying. It's distinctly human, but stretched and bloated in all the wrong ways. The ghost in GB2016 just looks like someone wearing latex halloween makeup.

Or check out the Scoleri Brothers:

Like what the gently caress are those things?

Oh, but GB2016 has a dragon.

Okay.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminded that the Ghostbusters comics had a crossover between the movie Ghostbusters (whom the comics were focused on post-GB2) and The Real Ghostbusters, and the differences between them were pointed out. Also the Ninja Turtles. (and later on the 2016 Ghostbusters, probably by contractual obligation)

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminded that the Ghostbusters comics had a crossover between the movie Ghostbusters (whom the comics were focused on post-GB2) and The Real Ghostbusters, and the differences between them were pointed out. Also the Ninja Turtles. (and later on the 2016 Ghostbusters, probably by contractual obligation)

There were two TMNT crossovers. They weren't that bad either.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MrJacobs posted:

There were two TMNT crossovers. They weren't that bad either.

One of also had the Real Ghostbusters in it too!

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One of also had the Real Ghostbusters in it too!

I just flipped through my trades and didn't see any RGBs in the TMNT crossovers. But the RGB crossover was pretty fantastic. Having Cartoon Venkman trash talk movie venkman was great.

The 2016 crossover wasn't bad, but it made me hate Mckinnon's character, but it still had some good gags from her and more Patty is always cool.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I remember the last thread was really positive about female Egon, but to me she was the worst. Just "wacky" and "crazy", they'd always cut to her during a conversation so she could make a face or do a dance. She was a cartoon. Patty was the most human.

What sucks is that the movie seems to have killed the franchise. I really wanted them to make another one, maybe set that in the 80s. Seth Rogan, Jonah Hill, Danny McBride, something like that but it's all taken seriously and not improv everywhere. I know Danny Mcbride is making the sequel to Halloween, and is supposedly doing a good job. drat you, Feig!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan_Shore posted:

I remember the last thread was really positive about female Egon, but to me she was the worst. Just "wacky" and "crazy", they'd always cut to her during a conversation so she could make a face or do a dance. She was a cartoon.

I really liked Holtzmann but she had no background and no goals of her own (as far as I can remember) so she was more of an adjunct to Abby's character rather than being a fully formed character on her own. Abby needed to be a farcical klutz for all the pratfall gags to work but she still needed to have easy access to high tech scifi equipment for the sake of the plot so it feels like they just bolted on a technically competent sidekick rather than muddying up her comedy potential by making her technically proficient at anything.

Holtzmann sailed awfully close to being a manic pixie dream girl.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Yesterday I was realizing that I really want an XCOM: Ghostbusters

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Iron Crowned posted:

Oh, that would be fun. Yes, do that.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Yes, have some

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Alan_Shore posted:

Yes, have some

gently caress, I love this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjzZhTS_xa0

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

One note about the Ghostbusters is that, aside from their personal whims, corner-cutting and low budget, they seem to be pretty professional and in general try to know what they're doing. Maybe having a con-artist psychologist on staff helps with that, but even with the motto "We're ready to believe you" they put Dana through a battery of tests to make sure she's not having delusions or psychosis (I imagine they see plenty of kooks as would-be customers) but also take her seriously. It shows that the whole premise of the movie is thoroughly thought out, and their less sensible decisions are also used as points both for plot and comedy. (the EPA being furious and not able to make heads or tails of what the Ghostbusters are actually doing)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
In an absolute first, Rick Moranis is appearing at the Alamo City Comic Con in San Antonio in October. Photo/meet&greet fees are insultingly expensive, however.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

The_Doctor posted:

In an absolute first, Rick Moranis is appearing at the Alamo City Comic Con in San Antonio in October. Photo/meet&greet fees are insultingly expensive, however.

Maybe if I bring clients instead of friends, I can get it as a tax write off.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ghostbusters: Dimension, the VR game experience based at Madame Tussauds in NY is closing on Sep 30th. I'm in NYC next week and I'm curious to try. Anyone been? Is it worth the money?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So I landed in NYC today, and I’m staying about 5 blocks from here:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The_Doctor posted:

Iron Crowned posted:

That exists, very specifically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUtgs-vB7hM

Unfortunately it kinda sucks. Buggy, poorly translated, unbalanced weapon selection, arbitrarily gated content, bad art, no real effort to have an overarching plot or escalate anything. It's really fun for a little bit, then all the problems start to pile up.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

So I landed in NYC today, and I’m staying about 5 blocks from here:

Ha, nice. I always go there if I can. The mortgage "you're never gonna regret this Ray" scene was filmed just across the street if memory serves.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lurdiak posted:

That exists, very specifically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUtgs-vB7hM

Unfortunately it kinda sucks. Buggy, poorly translated, unbalanced weapon selection, arbitrarily gated content, bad art, no real effort to have an overarching plot or escalate anything. It's really fun for a little bit, then all the problems start to pile up.

My dream of this would be more like New XCOM/XCOM 2, where it takes place in say 1992, and a Ghostbusters franchise is setting up in New Orleans, with some overarching voodoo plot. Really I just want to have the Skyranger loading screens replaced with Ecto I.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

My dream of this would be more like New XCOM/XCOM 2, where it takes place in say 1992, and a Ghostbusters franchise is setting up in New Orleans, with some overarching voodoo plot. Really I just want to have the Skyranger loading screens replaced with Ecto I.

Seriously a modern XCOM-type game with customizable Ghostbusters and various different gadgets and ghost types and abilities would be like the last game I'd ever need. Just make that and wrap it up, the industry has peaked.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Iron Crowned posted:

Oh sure, that'd be neat, and to a certain extent could be modded into one of the X-com games. But if you want to shoot at a ghost and have it go into a trap, Ghost Control has that. It's just a shame it's got no writing chops and has the stability of an rpgmaker xp game.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Timby posted:

He's talking about when she starts levitating off the bed and making otherworldly growls and whatnot (after which he presumably injects her with 300cc of thorazine, which I still wonder why he'd have with him on a date; I once got an IV dosage around that level over a few hours and I was out cold for nearly a day).

I think we know why he brings it on dates.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Freaky.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I caught part of GB2016 on TV the other day for the first time since I saw it in theaters. Watched about 15 minutes and my takeaway was that I just wanted everybody to STOP TALKING. They never stop. It’s like listening to a team of comedians spitball one liners to punch up a script.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Ehud posted:

I caught part of GB2016 on TV the other day for the first time since I saw it in theaters. Watched about 15 minutes and my takeaway was that I just wanted everybody to STOP TALKING. They never stop. It’s like listening to a team of comedians spitball one liners to punch up a script.

In that movie and other modern comedies I've seen, I feel there's an obsession that everything has to be a joke, to the point that anything even remotely serious has to be undercut by a pithy one-liner—and when the vast majority of the time those jokes are groan-worthy at best, all they do is drag down otherwise fine scenes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Finally ticked off one of my life goals.

Here’s a unique fixer-upper:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Acebuckeye13 posted:

In that movie and other modern comedies I've seen, I feel there's an obsession that everything has to be a joke, to the point that anything even remotely serious has to be undercut by a pithy one-liner—and when the vast majority of the time those jokes are groan-worthy at best, all they do is drag down otherwise fine scenes.

I think I put it my own way earlier or in another thread; they're basically 'This is a COMEDY movie, we must do COMEDY things, have a COMEDY plot and COMEDY lines and COMEDY heroes and COMEDY villains!' etc etc and so on and so forth. Because it's easier to check boxes than to be funny.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Finally ticked off one of my life goals.

Here’s a unique fixer-upper:

Every time I visit New York (which isn't a lot) I always go there, it's always... Surreal. Love it!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Every time I visit New York (which isn't a lot) I always go there, it's always... Surreal. Love it!

It was a great moment, although it’s much.. shorter then I expected? Like, the cartoon makes it look like a tall thin building, and I feel like the way it’s shot in the film that seem to slim it up a little?

Still, it was fantastic to see in person, and I’m glad I got that clear street shot of it. I’d have loved to look inside but I’d have felt bad ringing the doorbell or something.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

I’d have loved to look inside but I’d have felt bad ringing the doorbell or something.

The firefighters there are used to tourists and are happy to let them have a look around (although the actual firehouse interior shots in the movies were done in Los Angeles).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Timby posted:

The firefighters there are used to tourists and are happy to let them have a look around (although the actual firehouse interior shots in the movies were done in Los Angeles).

But I am English and never want to put anyone out or cause a fuss.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

But I am English and never want to put anyone out or cause a fuss.

Haha me too. I'd never ask to go in, they might be busy

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It's, uh, relatively easy to tell when a firehouse is busy. :v:

Anyway, the guys there are really nice, and they still have the GB2 sign in the garage. They even let me turn on the lights and honk one of the engine horns. :unsmith:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Timby posted:

It's, uh, relatively easy to tell when a firehouse is busy. :v:

Anyway, the guys there are really nice, and they still have the GB2 sign in the garage. They even let me turn on the lights and honk one of the engine horns. :unsmith:

I haven't been to a fire house since I was a kid, but yeah, firemen are generally pretty chill, they're not cops

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I haven't been to a fire house since I was a kid, but yeah, firemen are generally pretty chill, they're not cops

Good, because ACAB

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It kinda feels like people are taking the wrong kind of lesson from films like "Airplane!". There's nothing wrong with a movie having wall to wall jokes, and if anything, it can help because if a joke doesnt land, well, there's another coming up in a few seconds.

Though, if you're going to do that, you generally need to have things written out and try to flow with the scene, not just point the camera at the actors and hope that they ramble out something funny.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

ExplodingSims posted:

It kinda feels like people are taking the wrong kind of lesson from films like "Airplane!". There's nothing wrong with a movie having wall to wall jokes, and if anything, it can help because if a joke doesnt land, well, there's another coming up in a few seconds.

Though, if you're going to do that, you generally need to have things written out and try to flow with the scene, not just point the camera at the actors and hope that they ramble out something funny.

I think a big thing as well is tone. Airplane! is a parody of a serious drama and everything in the film is surgically scripted and designed to cut the drama to shreds. It never once tries to have a serious moment, and every time it could have one it rips it apart with ludicrously over-the-top gags. By contrast, the tone of the original Ghostbusters, is more serious, and very distinct from Airplane!'s irreverence. Right from the very beginning, the movie introduces ghosts as dangerous and terrifying creatures, and Dana's character is established early on to ground the film and provide tangible stakes—the events she experiences throughout the movie are legitimately horrifying, and they help to build up to the legitimately apocalyptic final act. When the movie is funny, the comedy is also balanced against the stakes—For instance, the Stay Puft Marshmallow man is hilarious because it's an adorable 100 foot titan made of marshmallow, but it's also horrifying, because it's a 100 foot titan created by an Sumerian god that's leaving a path of destruction through New York City and will 100% kill the heroes if they can't figure out how to stop it. The situation is as absurd as it is serious, and that's where Ghostbusters thrives.

With the new Ghostbusters the tone is all over the place because the film doesn't really know what it wants to be. At times it wants to be a faithful reboot of the original, and includes a frankly gratuitous amount of callbacks and references that actively take away from the film you're supposed to be watching. At (most) other times it's a silly slapstick comedy with a lot of immature humor that mostly falls flat, and ostensibly keeping it together is a fairly thin plot about a creepy basement weirdo's desire to become a super-powered ghost and a fight for professional vindication. It just doesn't hold together, and ultimately fails to leave a coherent impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If you can't visit Hook & Ladder 8 in person there's another way you can go there ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EY64A3tTgE