Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I really wish the 2016 movie had been good. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ehud posted:

I didn't like GB2016. But I was thinking about it the other day and I realized I haven't really liked any comedies in more than a decade now.

I felt like this, too, about how most if not all comedies just don't work for me.

Then I remembered laughing out loud at Jason Bateman's 'Bad Words'. That's been the sole exception.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fart City posted:

Carrie Coon is fuckin’ dope.

Yeah, this.

I'll watch anything with her in it. Hey, everyone... Go watch The Leftovers!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Look at this nerd who wants to be a Ghostbuster without getting three mortgages on their home.

The interest rate alone comes to almost 95 thousand dollars!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

deoju posted:

I really want a scene or a line that acknowledges that they had more adventures after GB2.

Something like... "This is worse than the spectral schnauzer at Westminster Dog Show back in 97."

Yeah, if we get even one scene where the guys (Ernie, Dan, Bill, or even just one of them) wax nostalgic for previous adventures in the 90s, I'll be super happy.

I wonder how they'll talk about Egon, and if they'll mention the stuff that happened during the game. Obviously, I'm referring to the 3% that wasn't a rehash of the first two movies.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Holy gently caress!

https://ew.com/movies/2019/04/05/bill-murray-dan-aykroyd-found-ghostbusters-clip/

It's actually finally loving happening:

quote:

GHOSTBUSTERS

6 Rare & Newly Unearthed Deleted Scenes, including the long-requested Fort Detmerring scenes!
Raw takes for the Central Park bums sequence
1984 ShoWest Exhibitor Reel, featuring Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd pitching an early reel of footage to theatrical exhibitors.
Full Ghostbusters TV Commercial from the film
Ghostbusters TV Commercial Outtakes
“A Moment With the Stars” – original press kit featurette
Original Domestic Teaser Trailer
Original Stereo Audio for the Feature (Blu-ray only)
Fan Commentary featuring Troy Benjamin and Chris Stewart (Interdimensional Crossrippodcast),Ashley Victoria Robinson (Geek History Lesson podcast) and Sean Bishop (Ghostbusters prop replica expert), moderated by Ghost Corps’ Eric Reich

GHOSTBUSTERS II

Commentary featuring Director Ivan Reitman, Star/Co-Writer Dan Aykroyd and Executive Producer Joe Medjuck
“The Oprah Winfrey Show: Cast of Ghostbusters II” – June 1989
Full Ghostbusters II Theatrical EPK
Rare Unfinished Teaser Trailer – featuring the full commercial from the film!
Original Stereo Audio for the Feature (Blu-ray only)

I sincerely hope that we get more deleted scenes from GB2 :f5:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't even have a blu-ray player, and am now wondering how I could watch this in the cheapest way possible. I literally have no use for one aside from this. :negative:

I mean, those deleted scenes are going to hit youtube almost immediately, so that's cool. The commentaries, though... I definitely want to hear those.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mooey Cow posted:

But those scenes were supposed to have been lost :aaaaa:

A couple years ago, Ghostcorps or someone posted old tapes, and in sharpie marker, you can very clearly make out "Fort Detmerring" written along the side of it. At that time, it was 'recently uncovered'.

They knew what they had and kept it until this release :argh:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Violator posted:

What the heck is this lost scene about that makes it so important?

Short answer: Ray gets a blowjob from a ghost.

Long answer: Ray gets a blowjob from a ghost, and there's a bunch of extra stuff that happens. Wasn't originally meant as part of a montage, it's actually where Ray and Winston are driving to when they have their 'Revelations' conversation in the car, and where they're returning from when the firehall goes to hell. Bunch of dialogue about it, but it's one of the more extensive scenes written and filmed and then never used. Mostly everything else was small stuff, like the couple finding slimer in the hotel during their honeymoon, or the bums conversation, though I'm glad to be getting more of the latter with this new release.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Timby posted:

The montage is almost exclusively bits from cut scenes.

Including possessed Ray driving like nuts, which is the holy grail of gb2 deleted scenes, at least for me.

Should've been kept :argh:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I remember it being in the comic adaptation (which had the RGBs in the respective roles).

:ohdear: “Slow down Ray! You’re going to kill somebody!”
:twisted: “No, I’m going to kill everybody!”

Someone did a composite of the scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCnvc3UqMoU

I definitely want to hear Dan Aykroyd deliver that line.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've always wondered why I'm so intensely interested in GB/GB2 deleted scenes, and couldn't really care that much about those from other movies.

I guess I see GB-related scenes as completely different things probably because the first movie is just so engrained not just in the average fan's mind, but society in general. Because of that, discovering footage that's new to us but is just as old as the movie itself is kind of strange. Also, due to the massive popularity of GB over the past 3 decades, these scenes, hinted at years and years ago, build up some sort of mythological status among anyone who pays attention to this stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Payndz posted:

Makes me wonder now what the original context was for the scene with the three guys asleep in the fire house that the ghost blowjob dream sequence was inserted into. I don't remember it appearing in the script or being mentioned in The Making Of book.

Good point. Maybe that part was specifically shot for the montage, and they might've had a clip of a paper headline, or an interview where they mention that they're not getting good sleep from being way too busy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm torn between feeling happy for and kind of sad for Robin Shelby. She goes to all of these cons, and yes, she was a part of the production of GB2, but you'd never recognize her; she was the actress who was in the Slimer suit.

And a whole Slimer subplot was cut, which is also kind of confusing to me; so, Slimer, in the cartoon, lives with the guys. Ok, that actually makes sense. It's fine, he's fairly benign, whatever, it's like an ethereal dog (though in that metaphor, the guys are dog catchers). Anyway... if Louis is their main accountant, why the hell is he surprised by Slimer?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

The Slimer stuff in GB2 is from the film being overly influenced by RGB.

Yeah, I know. That and the changing of the times was also why there are pretty much no cigarettes or instances of smoking in the sequel, either. I get that it's a silly gag to have Louis scared by Slimer and all, but like.... one line could have cleared it up.

I love GB2 mostly out of nostalgia (and it's an ok, legit-funny movie even if you take the franchise history out of consideration), but there's so much that could have been fixed :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

So you never played it but called it an absolute wreck? :colbert:

Well, that's what he heard!!!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

They missed a huuuuuuge opportunity by not making it free-roaming, sort of GTA or LA Noire-like, in that you can get jobs, drive the Ecto-1 yourself, and build up the franchise. And there'd be an over-arching story on top of that. The original guys could have been there for support, and you have to make your own team.

I know there's Ghost Patrol on Steam but that is a far cry from what could have been with the actual license and money put into development :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Any Rocket League fans here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk3qh7bjoIY

:toot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

deoju posted:

That's good news, but I'm still waiting to hear about Winston. :ohdear:

Same.

He really could be the only returning one, and I'd be 100% fine with that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://comicbook.com/movies/2019/06/10/ghostbusters-fort-detmerring-clip-steelbook-exclusive/

Not the full thing, but part of it.

Anyone get their copy of the Blu-ray yet?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

The 4K set is currently 40% off at Amazon.

And also not available in Canada, which is just :psyduck: I mean, full disclosure, I don't have a blu-ray player, and am not planning on getting one for just one release, but still. What the hell?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I have to agree with everything said so far, with regards to the scare factor of the first two films. I'll add that the entire library sequence (outside of the actual jokes) was really eerie, and anything regarding the terror dogs were pretty scary as well. I remember not getting the joke when Louis gets possessed at Tavern on the Green. My little kid brain would always think 'WHY DON'T THEY HELP HIM?!?!'

Pssshh... New Yorkers.

Also, even though the sequence was sort of a mix between badass and goofy, the courtroom scene from 2 used to get me. We all know why.

Goddamn Tony Scoleri.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Timby posted:

He's in-frame during the pricing scene, but he's cropped out when they first enter the hotel.

With line in the library 'This ever happened to you before? No? First time?'; at least the version I grew up with (taped off of MITV :canada:, with the alternate takes for lines), it's actually RAY who's out of frame.

And Peter is talking to Ray, so I have no idea why they did that :psyduck:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yay! Good ol' Crap Bag gonna join the team.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Like many others, I'm guessing Spengler descendants.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Is the full fort detmerring scene on there?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It's just the way the movie was made. Not much to be done about it outside of a few specific shots where I think the grain could've been reduced somewhat. But that's just the overall look of the film, it's a dark and grainy holdover from a more 70s style of filmmaking versus Ghostbusters 2 which came along 5 years later and is much more slick and modern looking.

Ok, wow, I've tried to pinpoint what it was about GB1 and films of that era, vs GB2. Is that it? I mean, it also feels like 2 was physically shot differently as well, had way more closeups, and also felt better lit, overall.

Like, compare the meetings with the mayor in both films. GB1 feels like it was filmed in a real office in downtown, and maybe there should be a haze of cigarette smoke in the air or something. The meeting in 2 felt like it was done on a soundstage / studio, and everything is crystal clear and bright (despite it being at night).

Is there anywhere where can read more about this specific kind of change/difference? I feel like Back to the Future 1 and 2 were like this, and 3 was like GB2, but I might be way off with that one.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Cameo posted:

No, that’s just what Spielberg remembers growing up in Arizona and California looking like

And now it happens for real, every year! :haw: :negative:

Btw, thanks for the info about the film stock, goons! I find that stuff interesting, and it'd be super neat to see a big-budget film from the 5294 era shot in 5295. Do those exist, or did 95 just flat out not exist then? I'd look this all up, but I'm at work, and am already spending enough work time on SA.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Was the Stay Puft marshmallow man made of actual marshmallow or was it not just white ectoplasm?

It is a nice touch that Dana buys a pack of Stay Puft marshmallows at the start of the film. They don't appear again in GB2 do they?

They don't. There IS one shot somewhere in GB1 with a Stay Puft billboard on the side of a building, though.

It was surreal when I noticed that after watching the film many, many times over the past few decades.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

Why is Dana, a single woman in NY, buying so many marshmallows anyway?

Oh my god... Does she actually eat that stuff?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Remember when Ray answers the phone at his bookstore? "7pm on week days, midnight on Saturdays". I'm assuming he's telling whomever the closing times of his store.

Am I the only one who took this as a subtle dig at Ray, and how he likely has no life?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Kevyn posted:

Finn Wolfhard cosplaying as himself?

:thejoke:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just watching GB1 again and I noticed (or maybe I'm just reaching) that the ear pulling in GB2 is maybe a callback to when Peter does it to Ray before they go through with the 'get her' plan in the library.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Get over here Francine

STOP that!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

GB16: once you pop, you can't stop!

You get a car, and you get a car!

How do you know it was from the back?

My SIDES

I don't want to necessarily defend GB2016's script (really, my only problem with it), but taking lines out of the first two and just posting them would have a similar effect. I mean, I legit laughed at Holtzman and the 'our president is a plant' line near the end. And as much as the constant riffing and over-the-top ridiculousness didn't fit, I have to be honest... I laughed at the whole 'my cat' 'Mike Hat' conversation. It was super dumb, but whatever.

I found GB2016 a fine Paul Feig movie, but just a horrible GB movie.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ruddiger posted:

I hope they do modern remakes from the classic real ghostbusters toyline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai0hmixQHzI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_KN20vICnA

Holy gently caress, I thought I had remembered all of the old toy villains (I still have the granny and mailman), but it turns out I had completely forgotten about the garbage man.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

You mean the IDW Ghostbusters/Transformers comic? With available tie-in toy for the kids?

*slowly puts head on desk*

But seriously, that looks great.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

My mom hates toilet humor too.

She is also the one who got fed up at someone not flushing (90% chance it was my brother), and told us that the poopy monster would come out of the toilet and get us if we didn't flush.

Well there's something you don't hear every day.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ernie Hudson is in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007