Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
In the original movie there was "something strange in your neighborhood", so naturally in a sequel there are Stranger Things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I know Answer The Call is a different universe, but is the 2009 video game canon here?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Sequel does its own thing:
Ugh this isn't [franchise] at all! This sucks!

Sequel is not its own thing:
Ugh why even make it, if it's just rehashing the original? This sucks!

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I think we'll all be ghosts before that movie is released.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The general public definitely ended up perceiving them as frauds. All most people ever knew was that there were some claims of ghosts running around, then the Ghostbusters went into a highrise building and blew the roof off the place causing millions of dollars in damage.

I guess it really depends on how many people saw the Stay Puft incident. Realistically it would've had to be thousands of people but from what's actually shown in the movie it doesn't seem like all that many people are around to witness it.

When Ghostbusters II came out, I wondered how countless people could see such an event, in a place as populous as NYC, and think it was all a scam/hoax.
... and then 9/11 happened ... and "truthers" happened.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I haven't seen it yet but supposedly there is a spoiler for the villain on the Clue box.

It's Walter "Dickless" Peck!

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Finally saw it last night

Why didn't Zuul/Vinz Clortho possess Egon rather than killing him via heart attack?

Why didn't ghost Egon get sucked into the trap array?

What of all the other ghosts around town?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

GB2 definitely has a strong "you had to be there" element to it, because if you were 5 years old in 1989 then it's gonna have a totally different significance to you than other people. For a kid who was dressing up in the costumes for Halloween(I was a Ghostbuster 2 years in a row) and watching the cartoon series every day after school and buying all the toys, it just didn't occur to us that GB2 was a rehash or that the cast didn't want to be there. We were so unbelievably hyped for another Ghostbusters that we weren't even thinking on those terms.

I still remember being in the car on the way home from Ghostbusters 2 and one of my parents asked which one I liked more and I said GB2. I said it because I was a child, and it was newer, and I literally just saw it. I remember my parents not sharing my preference and at the time I was confused as to why.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

We're getting another Ghostbusters film

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

So basically they could/should have shot the maid with their proton beam, which would have killed her and instantly trapped her ghost in its beam. So they roll out a trap and charge the hotel more money for capturing more ghosts.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

The animated film or series should take place between Ghostbusters 2 and Afterlife and really explain what the hell Egon did to Ray that was so bad, that Ray wouldn't even investigate the Shandor Mining Company's operation in Summerville.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It also really handily explains why each of the sequels had to start from a position where pretty much everyone else has forgotten or dismissed the events of the previous films even though they were extremely newsworthy and unforgettable - the juxtaposition underpinning Ghostbusters just doesn't work otherwise. It's really really unlikely that Phoebe had never heard anything at all about her Grandfather's exploits in NYC in 1984 even accidentally but but it was pretty important thematically for that to be the case.

It'll be interesting to see how GB4 handles that aspect

Granted they didn't go this route with Afterlife, but I could see something like the 1984 events being dismissed as some of kind of conspiracy. (See: 9/11 Truthers, or hell, a couple years ago/today regarding COVID). Maybe they touched on the idea of the general public not believing the events of Ghostbusters in Ghostbusters II, I don't remember.

It's such a common problem in media where the original is like an underdog story and/or uncovering some big truth. Once the underdog is no longer the underdog and/or the truth is uncovered, where do you go from there in a sequel?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

“No eye witnesses”

Not a single person saw a giant marshmallow man, evil slime, 10000 ghosts, titanic, alien dinosaur ghost, walking Statue of Liberty or a building covered in slime

brauh

I think the read is that no eye witnesses saw that The Ghostbusters fixed the issue(s). Still a big stretch though.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Lobok posted:

True for the first one. Can't really ignore the finale of Ghostbusters II, though.

Those hacks? They had nothing to do with it! The Statue of Liberty saved the day :911:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Why would Venkman even bother hiding booze in the first place? In the first film he and Ray were openly chugging down booze all the time - he was swilling from a bottle during the entire "Call it fate, call it luck, call it karma" speech, they were drinking Buds during the "this magnificent feast here represents the last of the petty cash" scene, his immediate reaction when they thought they neutronized Gozer was "It's Miller time!", etc etc

The idea that he'd be sneakily hiding booze around the firehouse doesn't fit his character, he's way too brazen

It's possible he could have changed in the past 40 years. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

If the next Ghostbusters needs Bill Murray, then find someone he can't say 'no' to. That's right, Ghostbusters directed by Wes Anderson.