Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

ruddiger posted:

The dude who waited for the next elevator really dodged a bullet getting dosed with however many rads those proton packs give off when booted up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just found out that, around 2 weeks ago, the official GB channel uploaded one of the best RGB episodes, 'The Devil to Pay', to youtube.

Here ya go. Maybe it's not one of the best, but it's in my top 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1KX_pQc8Pg

I see they've got 'Ghostbuster Of The Year' which scared the crap out of me as a kid

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

So I went back and Ghostbusters 2 for the first time in well over a decade, and it's a lot better than I remembered. The opening act is funnier than my memory told me it was, including Egon getting a reading from Dana when she's talking about Peter. But what I took away is that the second act is way too cluttered with too many things going on. The first movie gave itself a bit of a breather between the montage and Dana getting attacked by the chair, and the second just doesn't give itself time to ground itself. I had a feeling that was the case going in from my memories of previous watches, but this watch cemented it. Also, because it whips from set piece to set piece, it feels a lot shorter than the first one

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Afterlife is apparently getting a sequel which releases at the end of the year. Anyone heard anything about what it's about?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

someone on twitter asked "what scared you as a kid" and all I could think of was this

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Yeah, the tree guards the route to the depths of the underworld. It also takes part in this exchange

Winston: "but we're not dead!"
Tree: "nobody's perfect!"

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

it's been a while since I read the comics, but from what I remember I liked the way Peck was written in that. Clearly absolutely full of contempt for the ghostbusters and using his position to let them know it, while at the same time having a slightly begrudging appreciation what they do. If they can nail that sort of nous, and not just use it as a callback to the dick joke, it might be okay

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Those episodes are some of the strongest in the run and they still hold up

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

On my last re-watch of GB2, and I probably made this point pages back, was that it was noticeable how the middle part of the film rushes from set piece to set piece and doesn't let the movie just settle before increasing the stakes as if everyone involved wasn't entirely convinced that the general plot of the movie was strong enough. Contrast to the first one where there's a lull post catching Slimer to Dana getting attacked in her apartment, and then the threat level of gozer is slowly increased up until the containment unit blows up. At least that's how I saw it

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

So I went back and re-watched GB2016 just now and I am conflicted. Kate McKinnon and Chris Hemsworth are great, obviously and when the jokes hit, they absolutely hit. But there are a few sequences where the initial gag doesn't hit but they plough on trying to find a punchline that is never going to come and it's like, please, just move on. It also doesn't help that the plot is piss weak and seems to hit its inevitable run to the end about halfway through and so it drags the ending out way beyond any tolerance on my behalf. Also, Melissa McCarthy is sneaky good at keeping the whole thing together when she's not talking about soup

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Lemon posted:

I found it! It was from a 1989 Real Ghostbusters annual:

Definitely some similarities there, so good to know my memory isn't completely shot yet.

loving hell I remember that. I was nine at the time

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

According to this German site, if translated directly, the next film will be called Ghostbusters: The New Ice Age, which will probably be retitled in English to something like "Hell Freezes Over". Take this with a massive grain of salt, of course.

Personally, I kind of liked "Firehouse" :shrug:

a lot of the concept art posted earlier in the thread did have ice in them, so maybe that's going to be the thing?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Just went back and re-watched the Halloween episode of the 1986 cartoon and goddamn is the cast really loving good

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

90sgamer posted:

I’m kinda torn between wanting vigo back or something completely new. I feel like the new stuff has high potential to be lame and similar anyway. On the other hand I’d really like to see a live action debut for some of the real ghostbusters animated villains like Sam Hain or Boogeyman

The Sandman, the Grundle or Killawatt

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

There was the Pillar Of Manhattan, which caused a heatwave and all of the water to stop flowing iirc

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Out of curiosity, how many episodes of TRG involved world ending threats?

Was there EVER GB media at anytime where it's just the guys busting ghosts and feeling good?

'Ghostbuster of the Year' and 'Who's Afraid Of The Big Bad Ghost' end with a ghost moving on

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

'The Man Who Never Reached Home'. I think Ray ends up on the carriage in his place?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Kumail Nanjiani just confirmed on twitter that the writers/director were essentially aiming to create a feature-length, live action movie that felt like an episode of The Real Ghostbusters.

Ok, now I'm hyped

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think I said it pages back, but what stuck out to me with GB2 is that it never gives itself a moment to rest, it just keeps whipping from set piece to set piece almost as if the writers had no confidence in Vigo being that threatening a villain. If I remember from the post-Slimer montage to Dana getting attacked in the chair not a lot really happens in the original, just a lot of exposition maybe? The closest GB2 gets to this involves a dancing toaster

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair to Real, it basically did that by changing all the characters pretty wildly aside from the absolute broadest strokes. (Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure like 45% of my like of Ghostbusters is due to The Real Ghostbusters. 50% is due to the original Ghostbusters and 5% is due to the lawyer scene in Ghostbusters 2.)

I've been watching a few episodes of RGB recently, and I feel like that's about right but some of their character traits needed to be somewhat toned down for kids TV. Peter still acts like a conman who doesn't really believe in it who cracks on women, even women on station platforms in the middle of the underworld who turn into explosive skeletons

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 12, 2023

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

moths posted:

Except that Real Ghostbusters integrated with the original by framing the movie as an in-universe Hollywood account of the "Real Ghostbusters" origin story.

"Murray, Akroyd, Ramis? What is that, a law firm?" is an absolutely killer line

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Garnier_Andrew/status/1725982911864737872

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

this one's interesting, mainly because Bill Murray is just lurking in the background or at least I think that's Bill Murray. Is this where the terror dog is in Louis's closet/bedroom?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

It is real

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Is that book any good? It’s $15 on Amazon but apparently it’s under 100 pages? There’s an “unofficial” one on Amazon that’s pushing 300 pages too, for $20.

The artwork is great, and it just fleshes out the background to a majority of the ghosts from the movies and the cartoon. There's an entry on the Sloar that Louis mentions during his monologue to Egon for example. Is it worth $15? I'd say no, but definitely see if you can find it cheaper

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 1, 2023

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Alas, I'd have to replay the game to find out. Weekend plans for me then!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

My only issue with GB2, and I mentioned it many pages ago, is that it doesn't have a period where it just lets the movie settle. The first one (IIRC) had more or less from the post-Slimer montage to Dana getting caught by the terror dog where not a lot happens and is very talky. The second one just lurches from set piece to set piece without a breather. Actually, I may need to watch both again to confirm that I'm not just making it up

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

No trailer, just a lot of promo shots on the Empire mag's insta *so far*

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

CaptainN posted:

A UK version would probably have less Acaster.

don't like ghosts, don't watch my movies. don't like ghosts, don't watch my movies. What's the matter, too many ghosts for you?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Ok, so I watched the trailer a few times and where's Podcast? According to IMDB he's in it

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

almost any episode with the full original voice cast i.e. Lorenzo Music as Peter, Arsenio Hall as Winston and Laura Summer as Janine is worth watching. Yes, even the JMS episode where the guy makes a pact with a demon to rid the world of chickens which to be fair has an amazing title ("Chicken, He Clucked")

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Oh my god, yes. The consistent frame rate the detail, the colours... It's so good.

Also, apparently the ghost at the beginning (you know, the one in the sign) has a name? Something like moogie or like that?

This might actually be from Ragnarok and Roll. Or maybe it's when they were trapped in the boogeyman's lair.

Jfc, the only callback I ever really want to see is a film version of that loving boogeyman. That would be incredible.

Also, there exists a few shots of what Vigo looked like as he walked out of the painting, which is what they were going to do before they just made him disappear and reappear, and they are chilling.

I think it's the scene after this (and apologies for linking my own twitter), where they're standing there about to be blown to poo poo and are sort of dealing with it in their own way and all Egon says is "Janine" and god, Maurice LaMarche just absolutely loving nails the delivery

https://twitter.com/realflanmurray/status/1756375904740061562

but this is so rich, the detail in the backgrounds & the sheer density of plot and exposition

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

booked to see it on the 27th March

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Why do I have this feeling that there's going to be a Marvel-style 40 minute final showdown

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Just got in from a 19:45 showing. Turned up about 15 minutes before start time and was the only one in there, and the screen ended up being about 25% full. Solid 7/10 B/B- from me. Plenty of genuinely terrible, eye-rolling gags that are right up my street, McKenna Grace is going to be a star, no bad performances and I secretly wish James Acaster had done a riff on his "What's the matter, too challenging for ya?" stand up routine. Having said that, yes, the second act starts to drag once they get out of the Library until Acaster turns up with the van of gear. So many characters doing so many things, and it's a shame because the first half positively whips along at almost too frantic a pace. Hoping there's going to be some sort of directors cut which either fleshes out that second act or streamlines it, one or the other

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Evolution is underrated imo, but there are some gags they absolutely run into the ground

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

deoju posted:

I did not pick up on that, but that owns.

I picked up the burner's flame moving, but it wasn't until jedit's post that I connected the two

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I watched The Boogieman Cometh episode of The Real Ghostbusters and it absolutely rules and would have scared the ever loving poo poo out of six year old me when it was first broadcast

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

There were a couple of episodes that did that to me back in the day. “When Halloween Was Forever,” "Knock, Knock" and "Ragnarok and Roll" are a couple that come to mind. "The Grundle" too, and that might have been the last episode with Dave Coulier voicing Peter I really liked.

Ragnarok & Roll is great because the Ghostbusters really only help in the last two minutes, having tried almost everything and none of it works while Knock Knock has some incredibly dark imagery

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Knock Knock was written by JMS, and he does get the character's voices down pat. There's a scene in the middle where Ray explains what's going on to Peter that sounds like a riff on the jail scene from the movie, and there's a bit at the end where Egon explains how dangerous it is. There's also an episode where Janine asks Egon to implant Peter's brain into a chicken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I never liked Panthro or Tygra's voices in Thundercats even when I was watching as a kid. Tygra in particular was really bad