Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

The_Doctor posted:

In an absolute first, Rick Moranis is appearing at the Alamo City Comic Con in San Antonio in October. Photo/meet&greet fees are insultingly expensive, however.

Maybe if I bring clients instead of friends, I can get it as a tax write off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I played the absolute gently caress out of the Wii version. Using the Wii-mote as a proton pack was so fun, and I liked that it was basically The Real Ghostbusters done up to match the story of the PS3 game. My roommate has never played the game, so I'm getting it for his PS4 and we are gonna bust some goddamn ghosts.

Also, if you play Planet Coaster, they just released a Ghostbusters pack that included the four main characters, Slimer, Stay-Puft, tons of sets from the film to put in your parks, a Slimer themed kiddie coaster and an all new ride system that is basically Men in Black from Universal and you can build a ghostbusters shooter game ride, and then actually ride it and play the game and rack up points. There is also a campaign mode too, but I don't know exactly what it entails. Looks to be a ton of fun.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I rewatched Answer the Call today and didn't hate it. I mean, I never hated it, but I tried really hard to separate it from the originals, which helped.

I still like the Mike Hat bit.

Occasionally I remember the Mike Hat bit and laugh hysterically. It is absolutely the best joke in the film. I like ATC a fair bit more than most, but the jokes don't land ery well. That one LANDS.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

text me a vag pic posted:

Careful, last time I was in a vacant parking lot, Dan Aykroyd wandered into backseat of my car and wouldn't leave until he told me the total, unfiltered lore of the blue tubes on the Ecto-1.

as long as he doesn't ask if you want to see something REALLY scary.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

The first trailer had some jokes, so I don't know why people are like "oh no, no funny men in my ghost movie"

This seems to be at least attempting to stick to the original's blending of humor, horror, and action adventure. One of the reason's 2016's film failed is they just went full Judd Apatow style comedy and it isn't the same at all.

That said, I will occasionally remember the Mike Hat joke from 2016 and have a hearty laugh.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

RGB is genuinely scary at times, and I loved watching it to see which monster would terrify the snot out of me as a kid.

It also had some great titles for episodes. The Collect Call of C'thulu? Come on, that rules.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I enjoyed 2016 to a point, but it was clear that improv was prefered over scripted bits, and they lost the thread. Michael Hat is really goddamn funny, and Chris Hemsworth delivered it beautifully. I also liked that the villain was essentially a knock at the chuds being mad about the ghostbusters being girls, rather than the quality of the film. That said, for that to be super effective, they needed to write the character better, and they did not. Woof. Noble effort, I guess.

If they do a sequel to Afterlife, I truly hope they take it in a more RGB route and just have new foes for them to fight. I've always wondered what them fighting a ghost from the Old West would be like, or a gangster type.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

James Acaster isn't really doing his schtick in this. He's mostly just kind of a Egon type nerdy scientist dude.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think Acaster is fine either way :shrug:

I agree, but if people aren't fond of his comedy stylings, he isn't really going for that here. I enjoyed him in the role.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I really liked this movie overall and liked it WAY better than Afterlife, which I found fairly uninteresting. This feels like a feature length episode of the Real Ghostbusters animated show and while it's a tad exposition heavy, I loved the vibe and story it was telling.

Melody, the ghost girl who is secretly working for the villain is a very cool character and her chemistry with Pheobe was really fun and makes her somewhat predictable betrayl plot work better.

Ray getting to get some actual solid screen time as a part of the story is lovely. Seeing Akyrod get the twinkle in his eye when he gets to say weird supernatural mumbo jumbo is lovely

LOVE the Possesor ghost, especially when it's the trashbag. Also loved the subtle return of Slimer. Much better than the weird cameo they gave him in the 2016 film. Sadly no Muncher to be found

Did have a few nitpicks though.

The plot conveniently finding a way to have Podcast and the girl character whose name I still don't remember from Afterlife also be in NYC just feels stupid. They don't add anything to the overall film, and didn't need to be there. Having them there means that Finn Wolfhard still doesn't get much to do as Trevor and he could be doing what those characters do in this film with no real change.

Letting Janine get suited up and get a cool wrist mounted proton blaster only for her to use it once for about a second then never again feels like a waste of Annie Potts. Basically Ray is the only legacy character who is an actual part of the plot, with Winston getting honorable mention.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

To add to things that go nowhere I'd add:

Trevor complaining about feeling infantalised, a subplot that just sort of stops.
Trevor's attempts to deal with slimer.

That's fine, but I'm talking about character arcs and plot threads from the same film. None of these things feel like teasers, they feel like Frankensteined scripts and editing suite butchery. I enjoyed Winston's lab though, I'm a sucker for a monster zoo and this was very literally that.

Trevor as a character has gone nowhere since he was introduced in Afterlife. Why cast Finn Wolfhard to just...not use him much?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

roffels posted:

Phoebe cuts up the firepole to bronze the proton pack. Kumail uses the pole a minute later.

It really feels like 20 minutes is missing from the end or something.

While I did notice that there are two firepoles in the firehouse, so while the editing isn't great on that, I imagine she took it from the one Kumail didn't go down later

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I didn't really read it as him hiding the booze so much as the booze being where he last put it. More of a "AHA, Still there baby" than a "Oh good nobody found it"

Is it a weird place to store the booze? Yes. But Venkmen seems the type to just have random places he keeps a drink for ease of access.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

If I have a nitpick I keep thinking about is the sewer dragon just isn't interesting as a ghost to me. Every other ghost seems to be cool or interesting, but I just feel nothing towards the design or actions of the dragon. Just feels like it needed a few design revamps, or to have just been a different creature all together.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

roffels posted:

Judging by what made it to screen, those scripts couldn't have been radically different.

I wouldn't have minded a Venkman / Slimer encounter - even if it was just him walking in on Finn Wolfhard after being slimed, "first time?"

The idea of Venkmen just kind of casually rockin up to the firehouse whenever he sees fit, even with the Spenglers living there is amusing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

And I've said this before but I'm like 90% certain they used improv takes in spots of the 2016 movie where it either derails or supplants actual plot beats. Like the extended riffing on Patrick Swayze movies happens right around the mid-point and at a high tension moment where it seems like they may have cut out a subplot where Erin has a falling out and leaves the team (they have an emotional reunion prior to the climax that doesn't seem connected to anything, like she went home for the day then comes back and they all embrace).

It's equally possible they just cut the conflict subplot for time but then keeping in the Swayze bits is even more of a weird time suck.

Plenty of time for multiple wonton soup jokes though! Gotta keep those in the picture.