Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The teaser trailer that just dropped hit every god drat note I want from a new Ghostbusters praise the lord hail satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
So you're saying any new GB movie should ditch Ecto 1 :raise:

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Not being like the previous movies is not a death sentence for a good movie. The crew of Alien hated the direction of Aliens and completely shunned James Cameron because they remained loyal to Ridley Scott yet both films own hard in totally different ways.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Mr Plinkett, as much as a lot of it was 'Melissa McCarthy is fat lol' made some good actual points about what was wrong with 2016. The kind of movie GB needs to be requires a tightly written script, Feig let the actors ad lib a lot in 2016. When they were doing the scripted joke the pacing was all wrong, again Feig's fault.

One of the reasons Venkman works so well beyond simply Bill loving Murray is his character is really a scoundrel who happily uses the paranormal as a grift when he didn't really believe in it, and when it becomes a reality he rolls with it because that's opportunity knocking as far as he's concerned. I think the new one needs a slick hustler type character in the team to retain the feel.

Imagine if it turns out this one is a live action Extreme Ghostbusters with Ray standing in for Egon :allears:

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Rumours flying around the new lead characters will be a 12 year old boy and a 13 year old girl :what:

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Those kids can't drive the Ecto One :bahgawd:

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Leslie Jones is pissed.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The haunted mannequin sequence in 2016 was probably the spookiest bit.

I don't understabd why they develop a ghost trap then in the finale just resort to 'killing' ghosts, that's a major oversight of the whole paranormal exterminator 'busting makes me feel good' touchstone.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The former example is far more on the nose then the latter examples though.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
GB2 was on tv last night and I watched it, I think a lot was cut based on the end credits which has a lot of footage not used in the film itself.

The straights thing I never read as 'lol you guys look gay' more as in Egon is the straight man of the team, the people in the restaurant are straight because these slimy hijinks would offend their sensibilities. That's why the restaurant is so high class, to juxtapose with the others arriving.

My wife has only seen GB2 once before last night and thinks it is far inferior to the original, so GB2 probably holds up better if you saw it as a kid. She also didn't rate 2016 for what it's worth.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Without Venkman they're busting mass sea sponge migrations.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I am realistic about what the film will be, just using the original props and score is a big plus. Hopefully the writing and direction takes inspiration from the two originals aswell. There is a good clip on youtube contrasting 1984's proton pack explanation scene with 2016's and I think it just shows why a lot of people disliked 2016: overly long scenes where no-one ever stops talking is not what a lot of GB fans like about the series.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Szmitten posted:

As weird as it would be, I'd love to make an Extreme Ghostbusters set in the late 90s.

Honestly they could probably do exactly this as a live action series on Netflix or whatever and it would rock.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The Hallmark Keepsake Ornament Ecto One with light and sound looks amazing for $20, unfortunately they dont ship to the UK :smith:

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

SimonCat posted:

Has there ever been a canonical crossover between the Ghostbusters and the Real Ghostbusters?

When I was a kid I used made it work by thinking the Filmation Ghostbusters were the kids of the original Ghostbusters.

Isn't there an episode where the Real Ghostbusters visit the seg where GB84 is being filmed and find it haunted?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Was the Stay Puft marshmallow man made of actual marshmallow or was it not just white ectoplasm?

It is a nice touch that Dana buys a pack of Stay Puft marshmallows at the start of the film. They don't appear again in GB2 do they?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Get over here Francine

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Dors anyone have a Spirit Pack? My wife and I are wanting to dress as Ghostbusters for the big Halloween party we usually go to, I may be due some money unexpectedly that would cover maybe two spirit packs and a trap (either spirit or one of the many custom props). To get a spirit pack sent to the UK the cheapest option seems to be £70 through amazon including import fees. I have heard the sounds arent great though. The other options are either DIY (and I am very much the kind of man who is good with his mind and terrible with his hands) or going the supse expensive replica route, which isn't really an option.

Maybe it's because I'm such a huge fan of GB and always have been, to the point of having a Stay Puft tattoo, but I really don't want to do this if it's half assed.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, I have one. They’re actually pretty good, save for the backpack straps. For that, I’d highly recommend getting an ALICE pack and attaching it (there’s vids on YouTube). For £70 that’s really not bad, especially if that’s including postage and possible customs charges. They’re $70 (maybe $80 this year) in the US just to buy. You can buy a better proton gun kit that scales with it from Benofkent, as well as other upgrades.

Thanks for the swift reply! I have seen the mods but even out of the box I'm sure they will look the part. Just need to procure them now!

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is official:

Not gonna lie that has me really stoked.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Do we know what time the trailer drops today? I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve over here.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I think that looked great and I'm sure I wasn't the only one getting goosebumps, I also think it might not just be 'kid ghostbusters' (if it is, I'm cool with it) but they're putting a solid trailer out without giving too much away. If you think about it a lot of the stuff shown there could be the opening 30 minutes.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I know a lot of people are dismissing it as a nostalgia cash in but so what, the GB equivalent of a Force Awakens treatment seemed so far away for decades I really couldn't care if that's all it is, as long as I have a blast watching it I don't need it to be on par with GB1984.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
As the online GB community seems to be making much of the fact it is the Ecto 1 we see amd not the Ecto 1A I'm hoping that the kids driving the Ecto 1 goes viral online and Ray sees it, prompting the original cast to roll up in a pristine Ecto 1A Ray has been polishing every day since GB2.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Those traps I'm seeing pictured in Walmart for $20 look awesome :britain:

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
There have been some good examples of how weak directing let the film down by comparing it to the original. When you look at Feig's other work like Bridesmaids and The Heat, which often have long set pieces, it's clear with hindsight that is not really what the highlights of the franchise are about. 2016's proton pack test scene vs 1984's lift scene, for example. I genuinely think 2016 could've been a lot better with some script changes, reining in the improv and changing the tone.

This is well worn territory I suppose. I am just an old man shouting at a cloud about practical effects and trapping ghosts not killing them.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Speaking of 1984, I saw Kindergarten Cop again the other day and it has a similar original score to Ghostbusters despite it not being Elmer Bernstein (Reitman directed both).

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
More interesting is one of the mini pufts is somehow aware of the T2 ending.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The Gozer thing and location thing make sense in terms of why did Egon move there.

I'm glad we see the kid fixing up the Ecto 1 before driving it now as people were complaining about him calling it darlin in the other trailer.

The reveal at the end, goosebumps and a tear in the eye. I like the fact there looked to be at least one practical effect rather than all CGI. God I need one of those fancy artisan built proton packs this Halloween.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
There are potentially spoilerific Hasbro toy releases going viral now if that is your thing.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I haven't seen it yet but supposedly there is a spoiler for the villain on the Clue box.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
There was at least one snarky joke in the previous trailer so I would suggest they are going for a measured approach to the comedy but the trailer is hyping the nostalgia and stakes more than the comedy, which is fine. Everyone playing with a straight bat against quite horrifying ghosts/monsters is what made the original work in my opinion, Venkman felt like he was just laying down covering fire of jokes to put a brave face on things at times.

As long as it is tightly scripted it will be fine, I think it was done to death on youtube etc but that was one of the biggest issues with 2016, goofball humour in scenes dragging on three times too long.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I imagine there might be at least a passing reference to Oscar since one of the twins who played him has sadly passed away since.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

TL posted:

That's a very good point I've never really thought of. There's really no reason for Venkman to be such a dick to Peck when he first appears, but Venkman has to be Venkman.

To be fair Peck is skeptical of Venkman's credentials which gets things off to a bad start.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

LividLiquid posted:

I watched the first two the other day, and while I already caught the flick's weird libertarian ethos years ago, until now, I've had a rather huge blind spot for what a huge loving creep Venkman is to Dana, who wants absolutely nothing to do with him in both flicks right up until the plot decides she's changed her mind for no reason. Like, she tells him no so many times and he just blows right past all of them.

I know what you're saying but it is part of the overall arc reflected in the B plot, for better or worse by today's standards. Dana has a problem, Venkman is hired to fix it but doesn't know what he is doing at first. He swears to solve her problem and prove himself to her, which she acknowledges only to solve her problem. In GB1 via the montage we see her opinion of Venkman and the Ghostbusters improves, to the point she accepts a date with him at the next meeting (initially reluctant but the script needs the plot to happen and the ground has been laid for a change in attitude, mirroring the city's change in attitude towards them).

Similarly in GB2, Venkman treated her badly in the 5 year gap. Ghostbusters are discredited again, by investigating her problem they then get vindicated (another montage) and Dana comes to Venkman when the bathtub attacks. Again, mirroring the same way the Mayor blanks him at the start and begs him at the end.

It definitely wouldn't fly in modern cinema but I think the persistent loser/creep was basically a trope in 80s cinema?

Edit: TV Tropes would have Dana as a Damsel in Distress/Defrosting Ice Queen hybrid, not unlike a certain Princess Leia though Han was more of a jerk than a creep to her.

Bacon Terrorist fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 7, 2021

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Edit: Deleted duplicate.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Even more jarring with GB2 is that Winston is literally in the opening scenes, in full gear with Ray, yet when they investigate the weird event with Dana he doesn't go along despite being more of a Ghostbuster than Egon or Peter in the previous years based on the evidence presented to us.

Regarding the thorazine thing, it's sketchy but I like to think based on the way the script in GB1 plays fast and loose with the time and it needs Dana to be sedated to bring the third act in, it could be argued Venkman went out to get something rather than had it for 'reasons'. After all she aggressively comes on to him and he declines knowing she is possessed, a guy carrying round sedatives routinely for sketchy reasons would surely have just gone with it.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
If they didn't like the neighbourhood etc they would have never have viewed it. Peter and Egon are purposely setting up a negotiating position that Ray's enthusiasm undermines. Ray is enthusiatic about everything. Ray is a bad negotiator. 'Everybody can relax I found the car...'

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Just got the Spengler Neutrino Wand and really happy with it, love the modes from the game being incorporated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

text me a vag pic posted:

The Spengler wand has such satisfying switches, I love it. I'm working on a new pack for the wand, but I'm waiting on a v-hook from etsy. As for the different modes: the new Hasbro Proton M.O.D. also has though sound modes. Wonder if they'll show up in the movie or if it's just cheaper to re-use the clips.

Nice! I really want a Proton Props pack with lights, sound and smoke.

Regarding Afterlife, there were more snarky jokes in the first trailer. There will be jokes, but as people have said they aren't pitching the comedy stuff after 2016.