Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The_Doctor posted:

In fact, the full-size set was so immense that it was not only several feet off the ground at it's lowest point, and nearly 35ft high, but the enourmous 360 degree NYC panoramic painting that set required almost every generator the studio had to light it. No corner was cut. The best part of all of this, for me, is that so much effort was expended not only to amuse you, but also to involve you. Look at that set. It's ridiculous. But it's also beautiful. Every aspect of this film was gone over countless times - from the wild initial concept to the more grounded final story - until it was honed to perfection. The art department was no exception. Comedy film or not, the art dept produced a film that looked better than many dramas or even sci-fi epics of it's day - but never at the expense of the humour. The tone of the art design was spot on, and impeccable in every way. They were serious about being funny.

The full Gozer Temple set was seriously amazing. Just look at this goddamn thing:

The practical work on Stay Puft was also pretty crazy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Which is a bit funny given the original movie does that too but gets it right.

I think a big part of the problem is that Ghostbusters is so well remembered because it manages to balance a lot of things without seeming like it's trying; sci-fi, horror, and comedy of various types. It doesn't really try to bother with the whole genre thing, mixing mysticism, science, sex comedy and wisecracks seamlessly.

It'd be an interesting exercise to dig into the genre precedents of Ghostbusters. I watched the 1967 Hammer film Quatermass and the Pit a few days ago and it shares a heck of a lot of DNA with Ghostbusters including a finale where the heroic scientists are forced into a position where they have to sacrifice themselves to destroy a gigantic white ancient otherworldy monster that is towering over the city in order to save humanity. The film starts with a scientist being forced to surrender his life's work to a system he's fiercely opposed to (the military in this case, the corporate world in Ghostbusters) and a lot of the plot involves the plucky scientists arguing against stuck up authority figures who want to dismiss all the recent weird stuff as a hoax. The scene where they use brainscanning equipment to access racial memories of the martian massacres has obvious similarities to the scene where Egon interviews Vinz Clortho but also the scene where Dana is possessed by Zuul and starts floating.

There's also a scene where a technician is alone in the basement and is terrorized by freaky poltergeist activity (which is somewhat similar to the librarian scene in Ghostbusters) and he then gets possessed and staggers through the city freaking people out (which is somewhat similar to the Keymaster scene) etc etc..

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

sponges posted:

I just don’t find GB particularly funny but a lot of that is because Venkman is an irredeemable deviant and the movie plays it for laughs.

Just out of interest, how old are you and when was the first time you saw the movie?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fart City posted:

Like my single favorite gag in the original Ghostbusters is when they power on the proton packs in the elevator for the first time. You have the set-up of Ray’s “thermonuclear reactor strapped to our backs” dialogue, and the pay-off is dual layered; Egon and Peter crowding to the back corner, and Ray remaining blissfully ignorant of them doing so. It’s awesome because it’s a character focused bit: Egon is a mad scientist and Peter is a cynic. They actually believe it might blow up. Meanwhile, Ray is the naive believer.

Good comedy is character work expressed through jokes.

The rest of the scene immediately after that is also jam packed with characterization. When they step out of the elevator Ray and Egon are swinging their proton wands around like they're a SWAT team but Peter just ambles out without even turning his pack on, etc etc..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJVgfDnjkko

Note that they also included the step-away-from-the-unlicenced-nuclear-accelerator gag in the equivalent scene in GB2016:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoSzqHlvN6s&t=83s

... but just in case you missed it, they do they stepping-back-from-the-untested-equipment gag again later on, and one of the characters even announces they're doing it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lw7GJh31nM

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Squashing Machine posted:

It also contrasts with the "what the hell are you doing?" lady and the three's sort of embarrassed apology. That's funny. You almost killed someone because you're a bunch of overgrown kids and your response is completely inadequate. In GB2016, she would've been screaming and running around and the proton beam would've chased her around the corridor, and the entire time Wiig and McCarthy would be shouting TURN IT OFF!!! WHO TAUGHT YOU HOW TO SHOOT, ALEXANDER HAMILTON????

Also compare Peter's sarcastic "Successful test!" quip and Ray's oblivious "I guess so" response to the reactions in GB'16.

It's really weird picking individual gags from GB'84 and seeing whether they repeat them in GB'16 and how often. They had another untested-equipment-let's-hope-it-doesn't-kill-us scene earlier in the film and they reeeeally laboured the "Oops, hope you don't die" aspect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl4bRwYs1tI
They also repeat the "He slimed me!" gag which they'd already done earlier in the film.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan_Shore posted:

I remember the last thread was really positive about female Egon, but to me she was the worst. Just "wacky" and "crazy", they'd always cut to her during a conversation so she could make a face or do a dance. She was a cartoon.

I really liked Holtzmann but she had no background and no goals of her own (as far as I can remember) so she was more of an adjunct to Abby's character rather than being a fully formed character on her own. Abby needed to be a farcical klutz for all the pratfall gags to work but she still needed to have easy access to high tech scifi equipment for the sake of the plot so it feels like they just bolted on a technically competent sidekick rather than muddying up her comedy potential by making her technically proficient at anything.

Holtzmann sailed awfully close to being a manic pixie dream girl.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If you can't visit Hook & Ladder 8 in person there's another way you can go there ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EY64A3tTgE

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fart City posted:

I always though that a cool thread to follow for a side-sequel would be Tobin's Spirit Guide. Make it about Tobin's kids or grandkids, who are maybe estranged or something, and reunite to finish their father's work, and in the process stumble across some kind of ancient Lovecraftian horror.

We already have a template for the "Guide book within the cinematic universe gets spun off into it's own movies" idea with the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them movies and uhhhh I'd prefer they didn't do that with Ghostbusters.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DLC Inc posted:

I'm continuously baffled why loving Ghostbusters keeps getting dug back up in attempts to franchise it when even the the 2nd movie with the entire original cast was pretty much dogshit.

The original Ghostbusters was the 3rd biggest film of the 80s, only being beaten by ET and Return of the Jedi. (The Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of the Lost Ark made less on their initial releases but got re-released several times and eventually overtook it.) If you adjust for inflation it was Sony/Columbia's second biggest hit ever, only being slightly beaten 18 years later by the first Raimi Spider-Man film. And you know how Sony are obsessed with going back to the Spider-Man well as often as they possibly can ...

Sony are 100% certain that the Ghostbusters franchise is a licence to print money if they can just solve the puzzle on how reboot it just right so they are never, ever going to stop trying to remake it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Iron Crowned posted:

The OG Ecto 1 was the only hunk of junk they could afford at the time. A new Ecto 1 should be a more current hunk of junk, like a rusty rear end late 80's Suburban

That's exactly what they did in Ghostbusters 2016. Ecto-1 from the original film was a 25 year old Cadillac ambulance/hearse, Ecto-1 in the 2016 film was a 32 year old Cadillac hearse.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

evobatman posted:

There wasn't even a musical number in the movie, they just showed clips of it in the credits.

That's quality.

I have vague recollections that they showed tiny snippets of that scene in trailers and there was a really negative reaction against the idea of a musical dance number so I guess someone at Sony made the decision to cut that scene from the movie, but then someone decided to include it during the credits anyway.

And then when the extended version of the film came out they reinstated the dance number back into the film and it turned out to only be 30 seconds long.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The_Doctor posted:

GB2 is marginally scarier than GB1.

Winston saw some poo poo that'll turn you even whiter than that other poo poo!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

fist4jesus posted:

In those days there were only a few big movies a year

Hell no, the mid 80s were a golden age. Just look through the list of movies that were also released in 1984 (not just the blockbusters but the mid-tier hits, the sleeper hits and the soon-to-be cult favourites as well), it's pretty crazy how many iconic movies came out that year. Then click on [Next Year >] a few times, the hits keep on coming.

It might feel like that doesn't compare to the ridiculous number of big screen movies, Netflix movies and direct-to-DVD junk we're constantly bombarded with these days but A) most of those are disposable junk, and B) there was a neverending avalanche of lovely made-for-TV movies and shlocky B-movies back then as well.
poo poo, go through the list of all the movies released to cinemas in 2018 and try and pick any that'll still be beloved fan favourites 35 years from now.

These days it feels like Hollywood is stuck in a perpetual loop of trying to recreate their 80s hits.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

fist4jesus posted:

You miss what i'm saying, or just had better availability and much more money than my family.

Okay I guess when you said "In those days there were only a few big movies a year" you actually meant "In those days I only got the chance to see a few big movies a year" which is a different thing altogether

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

fist4jesus posted:

My point was about availability. But you seem to want to argue.

Nah, I just want you to post clearly in the first place. If you want to talk about availability, knock yourself out.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Nah, all the films including Ghostbusters that feature a giant laser shooting into the sky (and a spinning circle of storm clouds suddenly appearing) which summons an alien god who strikes down the unbelievers with destructor drones is referencing Raiders of the Lost Ark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0APF3SO9tqE

(So the original 'alien god' was the Old Testament Abrahamic God. :ssh: )

Note that Ghostbusters also 'borrows' the "placid female ghost turns into a screaming monstrous ghoul" shot from this scene for the Library Ghost gag.

(Also note that Raiders may have got the idea for a laser from space that people summon in the expectation that it will bestow God's benevolence upon them but which actually disintegrates their asses from the 1979 Quatermass TV serial.)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kevyn posted:

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable. You are a poor poster, mmmmalo.

LMAO

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mmmmalo posted:

(Or else the slime itself is responding to all the anger in New York, without the baby's mediation)

Good lord Holmes, you've cracked the case!

Dana pushes the carriage past a bunch of really angry people immediately after wheeling it through the slime. Also the carriage definitely wasn't trying to commit suicide, it was actively dodging all those cars. The only reason that Dana catches up to it was that it it stopped to avoid getting hit by a bus.

mmmmalo posted:

You're right! I had forgotten about that.

Maybe try watching the scenes instead of relying on your spotty memory? Pretty much every scene is up on youtube in some format.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mmmmalo posted:

Also, towards the earlier point of the Ray getting possessed because he's like a kid (or he's in tune with his "inner-child" or whatever): I rewatched a clip of the birthday party just now and he walks out wearing one of the little party hats. It's very cute. Winston takes the hat off Ray and reminds him of all of the destruction and legal trouble that resulted from their work, and Ray just kind of sighs wistfully with nostalgia. Ray wants to play! That's why they include the line of him calling their equipment 'toys' later

Ray's always been a childish weak-minded chump, that's how they ended up with Stay Puft in the first film. (Also they ended up with the firehouse because Ray loved sliding down the pole, they hosed up the Library Ghost investigation because Ray's plan was "Grab her!", etc etc..)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mmmmalo posted:

On Venkman's TV show, one of the guests described an "alien abduction" that was actually about her getting drugged at a bar and led to a hotel room.

Also note that the guests on Venkman's shoddy TV Psychics show who he keeps insulting were actually genuinely psychic, just like that guy with the huge jewfro in the first film who he kept giving electrical shocks. The guy who said that the world was going to end on NYE was correctly predicting Vigo's return and the woman who predicted the end of the world on Feb 14 2016 seemed to be a flake at the time but it turns out that she was sensing the extreme dread and anguish that sent psychic shockwaves 27 years into the past when this was published to youtube on that date:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zen753JD5kI

:v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan_Shore posted:

How much did GB2016 make? Was it profitable? Because they're not gonna make a sequel to a movie that bombed, you can't cry sexism

Domestically it made slightly more than the 2016 Tarzan movie that absolutely everyone forgot existed but quite a lot more than Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows, which isn't much to brag about. On the worldwide stage it made less than Assassin's Creed but slightly more than The Davinci Code 3 (which everyone has also forgotten about). So it wasn't the absolute worst financial disaster of 2016 but it sure didn't do well.

If you adjust for inflation it made less than a quarter of what the original made, domestically.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The snooty people in that Central Park restaurant would have assumed that Louis was just another homeless person screaming about crazy poo poo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I think Rudd could actually pull off a pretty good version of Ray or some similar character so he'd be a good fit with the right co-stars, but holy poo poo are all these promos super desperate to push the message "This time we'll be mega respectful of the canon, we're so sorry about the last film, please don't hate us again!!!"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I guess I see him more as a guy who gets "well meaning but naive doofus" roles, he doesn't feel sleazy enough to be a Venkman to me.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Basebf555 posted:

I'm thinking more Anchorman than Antman

He was still a naive doofus in Anchorman! Just one who thought he was sexy. :v:

I honestly don't know who I'd cast as a replacement Venkman.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Basebf555 posted:

It's just the way the movie was made. Not much to be done about it outside of a few specific shots where I think the grain could've been reduced somewhat. But that's just the overall look of the film, it's a dark and grainy holdover from a more 70s style of filmmaking versus Ghostbusters 2 which came along 5 years later and is much more slick and modern looking.

Yeah one of the local theatres here specializes in showing classic films and when they showed Ghostbusters I was surprised by how grainy it was.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

The Hallmark Keepsake Ornament Ecto One with light and sound looks amazing for $20, unfortunately they dont ship to the UK :smith:

I really really want the old Hallmark Stay Puft ornament but I've pretty much accepted that I just can't get it at a reasonable cost. Postage to Australia is a real killer as well. :(
Edit: I just checked prices/postage and the lowest I could find was around $60 and the average is about $100.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LividLiquid posted:

Was it ever supposed to be an actual, recognizable mascot like Big Boy?

It's really similar to bunch of old mascots, but still legally distinct from any of them

Edit: apparently he appeared in Aykroyd's original script

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Eh, the Spirit pack is only about 2/3 scale so it's never looked right to me anyway.

Here's one next to a full size replica:

Still way better than the inflatable proton packs you get with cheap Halloween costumes though! :v:

Open Marriage Night posted:

I might be looking to upgrade if I quit being lazy and finally join up with the Detroit Ghostbusters.

Yeah if you're wearing a Spirit pack and you're hanging around with people wearing authentic replicas the difference would be really really noticeable.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The vetting scene was before the montage, though. She was their first client, which plays into the joke of "we have standard procedures that we normally follow in a case like this", and Peter trying to ease her mind, telling her that all they get is craziness, day in, day day out.

They asked Alice the librarian a bunch of similar questions right at the start of the movie too.

Last one, at the end, during the credits; I never used to hear this, but Louis, after asking if anyone wants to interview him, tells the paramedics that he "wants to ride in the car, with them!" as he points to the guys.

Yeah well I know how he feels, everyone wants to ride in the car :unsmith:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
They've obviously gone back to the original version of the car for HYPER NOSTALGIA reasons but is there an in-universe reason they're using Ecto-1 and not Ecto-1A?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kevyn posted:

The scariest Janosz thing is when his eyes start glowing in the hallway.

I remember seeing a behing-the-scenes doco where they talk about shooting that scene and it was surprisingly difficult to achieve that effect

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I think it's going to be around 830 EST

5 minutes :ohdear:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Hell yes!!

Stacked books
Shandor mining
Terror dog?
A collection of molds, spores & fungus

Edit: Paul Rudd is obviously going to be the Key Master

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 9, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's the official Sony Pictures channel version, much better quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahZFCF--uRY

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Keltar posted:

Guessing Egon went to investigate Shandor Mining and it's where he passed away.

Ivo Shandor was basically the reason why everything happened in the previous movies, he was the guy who built the building in the first movie. The stone etc probably came from the small towns mine and there's some other stuff there.

SimonCat posted:

Why would Egon have Ecto-1? Surely Ray would have the car.

I'm guessing that Egon figured out that this small town was going to be Gozer's next point of entry at some point in the future so he moved everything there and just sat and waited, and his family got pissed off that he disrupted their entire life so he could obsessively stare at a hole in the ground for a few decades.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Delzuma posted:

I believe he moved out to the middle of nowhere to continue his research, more than likely naming Shandor Mine himself

The sign says that the Shandor Mine was established in 1927 :ssh:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

dorium posted:

that's awesome and now i want to watch it.

Here ya go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzQkQQEBt8o&t=62s

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If any of my aunts/uncles had bought me anything even half as good as the $60 Spirit pack when I was 4 they would have been my favourite relative for life, it's absolutely worth it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lurdiak posted:

I mean you talk about arcs, but it's not like the original film had a strong arc for anyone. Egon and Ray decide to be Ghostbusters, and then they bust ghosts. As a team, they have an arc of going from schlubs to successful businessmen to heroes, but personally the only one who grows at all is Peter, and his arc is to care slightly more than not at all about what goes on around him.

Their character arcs occur externally and not internally, like any good power fantasy movie. Peter Venkman's "arc" is almost exactly the same as John McClane's arc in Die Hard:

- The guy everyone wrote off as a smug smartass loser is hailed by the entire city as a hero and proven to be Right All Along
- The smart & successful frizzy haired woman he'd been horndogging after the entire time finally realises that he's actually perfect exactly as he is and she totally wants to bone him now
- The hero's foil (an uptight guy in a suit & tie who goes by the book and desperately wants to tear down the hero because he's a devilmaycare risktaker) is shown to be an idiot for not letting the hero just get on with it and therefore was Wrong All Along (Walter Peck/Richard Thornburg)
- All the authority figures were shown to be too incompetent to handle the villain's intricate scheme and the hero was the only one smart enough to figure it out, and the only one crazy enough to do what it takes to save the day

There's also a whole bunch of related iconography between the two movies (John's movement of pulling the hidden gun from behind his back is pretty much the same movement as the GBs pulling their proton wands, both movies end with the hero teetering on the edge of a skyscraper which blows up and rains debris over everyone below, Stay Puft roaring as the GBs shoot him is in almost the same pose and framed from almost the same angle as Hans Gruber looking up at John and Holly as he falls, both movies end with the black sidekick getting the final line and everyone piling into a beat up stretched car and driving off through the chaos) but whether you want to read much into that is up to you.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Their character arcs occur externally and not internally, like any good power fantasy movie. Peter Venkman's "arc" is almost exactly the same as John McClane's arc in Die Hard:

- The guy everyone wrote off as a smug smartass loser is hailed by the entire city as a hero and proven to be Right All Along
- The smart & successful frizzy haired woman he'd been horndogging after the entire time finally realises that he's actually perfect exactly as he is and she totally wants to bone him now
- The hero's foil (an uptight guy in a suit & tie who goes by the book and desperately wants to tear down the hero because he's a devilmaycare risktaker) is shown to be an idiot for not letting the hero just get on with it and therefore was Wrong All Along (Walter Peck/Richard Thornburg)
- All the authority figures were shown to be too incompetent to handle the villain's intricate scheme and the hero was the only one smart enough to figure it out, and the only one crazy enough to do what it takes to save the day

On a hunch I went and checked through Reitman's 2001 film Evolution and it almost exactly fits this meter except the "smart & successful woman [who] he'd been horndogging after the entire time finally realises that he's actually perfect exactly as he is and she totally wants to bone him now" has straight hair, not frizzy hair. :v:

Also I forgot the soundtrack featured Powerman 5000, I'm guessing they wanted Limp Bizkit but didn't have the budget?