Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
God I love this film, came out the year I was born and I've seen it so many loving times..I had no idea SA had a thread for it as I never really come into this forum..

I should. Cause this looks like an awesome loving thread.

I wasn't expecting much from afterlife either, after that god awful film with the ladies, but they really nailed it and got the right feel and the right cast. I have better expectations for the new one and I'll certainly be all excited in the cinema like a kid. Told my wife already were 100% going to see this the moment it comes out.

I also didn't realise till many, many years later, that Vigo was apparently from Moldova, which is interesting because I ended up living there for a few years in my mid teens and didn't make connection or observation till quite just recently, let's be honest, if we're going to rewatch any of them, it's always going to be the original first over the 2nd.

Ragnar Gunvald fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Timby posted:

Moldavia is a region. Moldova is a country.

Well, I assume he's loosely based on the guy that Moldova has statues of, loving everywhere. Stephen the Great...

Or Ștefan cel Mare as the locals call him.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I mean, I never looked into it that deeply, I just thought it was a fun coincidence from my life as a life long Ghostbusters fan that I ended up living in specifically the very same area Vigo is meant to be from, without realising till many years later.

I can't imagine Moldova or Moldavia was a very well known or thought about place back in the late 80's and early 90's as I imagine it would have just been known collectively as the USSR to us.

But then, I suppose that's also the point and why it was chosen.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Putin's Russian and I'd say he's doing a pretty good job of making Russians miserable right now... You don't always need to be an invader.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Yeah, Egon was always my favourite as a kid and I was uncomfortable with his portrayal in afterlife tbh. But I did love all the references to stuff from the past, as much as that stuff annoys some people and they want original content etc... I do love a nostalgic walk down memory lane.

One of my favourite birthday gifts ever from my wife actually was her taking me to the Prince Charles Cinema in London's Leicester square to watch the original 14mm version of Ghostbusters and it was bloody amazing..

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I like Rudd, but I find him very hit or miss with his movie choices.

In afterlife I think he is great, same in almost 40 and Wanderlust. But I hate his MCU work and a lot of his smaller roles.

Oh, I do enjoy him in friends too.

I'll be watching this tonight and I'm not expecting much based on the thread of reviews I've seen, but I love Annie Potts, I miss Ramis, I love all the original cast tbh and just seeing them having fun is all I want I think. The new members have been very hit or miss for me too, Finn I find very annoying and don't rate as an Actor but McKenna has been great in everything I've seen her in so far.

A little nostalgia but I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking.

Ragnar Gunvald fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 22, 2024

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Actually double post, but I was watching a clip from the late show with Seth Myers the other day (we don't get those shows in the UK) and I found out loving James Acaster is in this and that really bummed me out. He's a poo poo comedian and do not get why he would have a role in this. Perhaps better IMO if it went to John Oliver or someone more deserving.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

CelticPredator posted:

He’s trying to be a director now which is cool.

I feel like that would suit him better tbh and me too as I don't really want to see him on screen that much. He's ok, but I don't think he's good enough to really make it "big" long term.

I agree with the previous comments about Murray too, I loved his previous work, almost all of it. But the stuff that's come out about him in recent years has left a bad taste in my mouth..

I get the whole "it was a different time" argument but that doesn't really mean I need to also be comfortable with it. I'm still a big fan of his older work, like Groundhog day and Scrooged etc but I couldn't really see myself going out of my way to see him in anything non Ghostbusters related these days as he just seems like a massive twat.

RE James Acaster, he's far more of a stand up guy than a panel show guy, at least in the UK as far I know, but I just don't "get" him, even as a Brit.

My comedy is more John Oliver, Jimmy Carr, Jim Jeffries theses days and I just think Acaster is far, Fae, far too dry even by British humour standards..

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
See, I really didn't like him in IT. I wasn't overly impressed with that film at all other than Pennywise himself. I much prefer the original though

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I'm just waiting for the film to start with baited breath...

The wife has booked an extra fancy cinema too which doesn't feel right for Ghostbusters. It's really loving nice, but because of my expectations of the film, it feels all kinds of wrong right now.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Been hyped up all day and watched all the films today before going to the cinema, wore my shirt, the cinema was cool they had a local GB group turned up with an Ecto One. I got a collectible cup, the cinema really pushed the boat out making it feel special for the opening weekend, all the music inside was soundtrack from the 84 and 89 films.

Unfortunately I hated it. There were a few nice ideas and a couple of scenes I liked but in general I felt it dragged far too much. I hope I like it more on rewatch at home without any distraction but right now it's a bit of a letdown.

Just to add I wasn't hyped for Frozen Empire to be amazing or anything, I just wanted it to be more of a Ghostbusters film than Afterlife. It is, but it definitely left me cold.

Couldn't agree more. I loving hated it. The directing wasn't bad, the music was classic and fitted perfectly, the acting was all great as expected but oh my god, holy poo poo, the writing and pacing of the film is awful. Its up there with the all female cast film as the worst one.

I loved afterlife, it felt new and fresh but kept the charm while being entirely new. This just feels too new without the charm and writing and humour and like it was crowbarred into the 80s version. It just didn't work at all.

Dan.A was great, McKenna was great, Murray was pointless, Potts was a missed opportunity.

I bloody hated Acaster. They could have easily dropped him and have on the older Afterlife characters fill that role which would have made far more sense considering etc etc.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I actually liked Podcast becoming Ray's sidekick, they work well together. Ray needs another weirdo to work off, someone who 100% buys into his weird stuff and just runs with it. That used to be Egon but, well ...

Yeah, that kinda worked and he was one of my favourite characters from the last film. He did kind of fill in rays role in that one now that I think about it.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I really think Kumail wasn't needed at all personally. You could have cut him, he wasn't funny. I really do not get the appreciation for him.

I agree with the comments about too many characters, plots, arcs etc going on. I still think it seriously lacked charm. I will be giving it another viewing at a later date to make sure my mind is made up and give it another chance though.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Bill Murray doing Bill Murray things I guess.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

roffels posted:

I wouldn't have minded a Venkman / Slimer encounter - even if it was just him walking in on Finn Wolfhard after being slimed, "first time?"

That would have been very cool and very on brand too tbh. A missed opportunity for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Tarantino should do Ghostbusters.