Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do wonder if the Marshmallow Man works thematically as an extension of the glutton ghost (aka Slimer) that is the first ghost they do a full-on busting of, a figure that's ridiculous, surreal and more of a nuisance than a threat, but at the same time eldritch, intimidating and presenting a genuine challenge that requires the Ghostbusters to make full use of their equipment and improvise tactics and a safe environment. The supernatural is not only strange, but absurd and ridiculous, yet taken entirely seriously to show that it's no less dangerous.

It's maybe reflected a bit with the Ghostbusters themselves, as they're originally ejected from university as kooks, and Venkman is equally at home as a huckster and genuine supernatural investigator, because the line is so thin between kooky occult ramblings and an aspect of reality that's poorly understood to the point where most people only recognise its existence when it becomes too much of a nuisance to ignore. (Possibly summed up in his negotiation with the mayor; "If we're wrong, we go to jail. We'll go quietly, even. But if we're right... you will have saved the lives of millions of registered voters.")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Liberal Idiot posted:

Counterpoint: Venkman pushed Peck into action by being an rear end in a top hat to him, the Ghostbusters' technology is dangerously unregulated, and it's pretty obvious that having all of the psychokinetic energy in NYC concentrated in a single place made Gozer's job a lot easier.

Peck pretty much handled the situation as badly as possible though; both considering the Ghostbusters dangerous AND not taking them seriously led to him making the worst possible decision. Like, if these guys are frauds, why would they even bother screwing around with high-intensity, expensive technology when hallucinogenics and stage tricks will do?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

It feels like they wanted to have their cake and eat it too. They wanted to bring across that the ghosts are a legitimate and serious threat, but also have a wacky workplace comedy about not getting enough dumplings in their wonton soup. Tonally it’s all over the place.

Which is a bit funny given the original movie does that too but gets it right.

I think a big part of the problem is that Ghostbusters is so well remembered because it manages to balance a lot of things without seeming like it's trying; sci-fi, horror, and comedy of various types. It doesn't really try to bother with the whole genre thing, mixing mysticism, science, sex comedy and wisecracks seamlessly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I remember the part where they're in jail and Venkman loudly talks about having sex with a possessed Dana, which gets all the prisoners' attention. And then the Ghostbusters start theorising on what's going on while the other prisoners watch. They seem to actually fit in pretty well.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That said, my memory is very bad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kinda makes me wonder if the core issue with GB2016 (one of them anyway) is that it's so focused on being A Comedy Movie, they have have comedy plot, comedy stakes, the plot is an excuse for comedy to happen, while as mentioned the original movie doesn't give a poo poo about genre. A big issue with modern filmmaking I think is that it's obsessed with sticking to what's expected of its genre (an already vague, artificial and often unhelpful term) giving movies no room to stretch or explore.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Reminded that the Ghostbusters comics had a crossover between the movie Ghostbusters (whom the comics were focused on post-GB2) and The Real Ghostbusters, and the differences between them were pointed out. Also the Ninja Turtles. (and later on the 2016 Ghostbusters, probably by contractual obligation)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MrJacobs posted:

There were two TMNT crossovers. They weren't that bad either.

One of also had the Real Ghostbusters in it too!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

One note about the Ghostbusters is that, aside from their personal whims, corner-cutting and low budget, they seem to be pretty professional and in general try to know what they're doing. Maybe having a con-artist psychologist on staff helps with that, but even with the motto "We're ready to believe you" they put Dana through a battery of tests to make sure she's not having delusions or psychosis (I imagine they see plenty of kooks as would-be customers) but also take her seriously. It shows that the whole premise of the movie is thoroughly thought out, and their less sensible decisions are also used as points both for plot and comedy. (the EPA being furious and not able to make heads or tails of what the Ghostbusters are actually doing)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Acebuckeye13 posted:

In that movie and other modern comedies I've seen, I feel there's an obsession that everything has to be a joke, to the point that anything even remotely serious has to be undercut by a pithy one-liner—and when the vast majority of the time those jokes are groan-worthy at best, all they do is drag down otherwise fine scenes.

I think I put it my own way earlier or in another thread; they're basically 'This is a COMEDY movie, we must do COMEDY things, have a COMEDY plot and COMEDY lines and COMEDY heroes and COMEDY villains!' etc etc and so on and so forth. Because it's easier to check boxes than to be funny.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

One thing about Venkman that shows up from time to time in the cartoon and comics, which I think is fairly true to the film, is that he's just as smart as the other two scientists, having two doctorates and all, and able to understand and keep up with them for the most part, but unlike Ray and Egon he doesn't have much of a work ethic. A case or two in the cartoon apparently had him invent an impressive device or two, which can't be replicated because he didn't take notes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The recent IDW comics were kinda fun. The crossovers with the TMNT worked better than you'd think they ever should. And they also had a crossover with The Real Ghostbusters. (since the comics take place specifically as a continuation of the movies, though they also reference the events of the games iirc)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The casting call apparently mentions teenagers, we're totally getting The Extreme Ghostbusters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fart City posted:

what if I told you one of the kids is in a wheelchair

They really made that work with the wheelchair guy being the team's fearless jock.

Alternatively: They end up ripping off Danny Phantom. I always felt that show had a natural shoo-in for a Ghostbusters crossover, with Danny's parents being fans of the original Ghostbusters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Just badly ripping off The Mask anyway, and even that movie had a reason for the musical number.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Nothing good came of Ghostbusters 2016.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The cartoon was pretty good and some of the comics are neat. They had a crossover with TMNT.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Reminded how before the 2016 movie, the comics had an arc where a con artist developed a knockoff of the Ghostbusters' tech that 'destroyed' ghosts (iirc pretty sure it just had them come back later powered up) and hired a bunch of women as publicity eye-candy to operate it before it all came back to bite them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mmmmalo posted:

What haunts the baby then, before he even gets to Vigo? The movie is openly about how New York City is overflowing with bad vibes exacerbated by the slime river. The opening scene's progression of unhappy New Yorker's culminates in Dana's baby almost committing suicide via traffic. Later, the baby walks out the window and stands on the edge of the balcony, invoking a classic image of suicide before the museum guys swoops in and carries him off to Vigo. It seems consistent with the movie's themes to say the baby is just 'haunted' by misery, like the rest of New York.

A suicidal baby is kind of a stupid concept but it strikes me as the best explanation

Any parent will tell you that all babies are suicidal.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Venkman having the skillset to distinguish kooks and the mentally ill from people who've had genuine encounters with the paranormal is probably something the Ghostbusters couldn't function without.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The next crossover we need: Spongebob Squarepants

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Reminded of how the comics had Egon disappear (they called up the cartoon Egon to fill in for him, long story) and one of them mentions that if Egon died the first thing he'd do is come back as a ghost to examine himself.

Oddly enough the fanart of Egon and Slimer walking into the light together was actually kinda sweetly spot on. Does strike me as someone to whom death is just the next great discovery.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Looks like a total shellformer, but pretty neat.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Trying to use progressivism as a marketing gimmick damages both. There's nothing else to be learned from the remake, it's best forgotten.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mel Mudkiper posted:

imagine how much better the world would be if sequels were illegal and wearing merchandise from a show or movie was punishable by death

You'd just have it like video games where everything is a thinly veiled knockoff of the IP the producers really want to use, over and over and over.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I haven't seen Crazy Rich Asians but everything about it sounds like a cry for help.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mostly just remember the Wii version of the Ghostbusters game was made differently and had cartoon designs of the characters instead.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Timby posted:

The Wii version had a cartoon aesthetic because the system really couldn't handle the graphics of the PS3 / 360 versions (since it was basically a GameCube with a turbocharger), and while it shortened and changed the story quite a bit, it does have an advantage in that the trapping mechanic is continued much later through the game. After the second or third level, the 360 / PS3 version basically becomes a Gears of War knockoff shooter with Ghostbusters accoutrements.

Sounds right. That was kind of a terrible period where basically every AAA game couldn't become a Gears of War knockoff fast enough, complete with starring nothing but growly white guys with crew cuts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You'd think a transforming Ecto-1 would be enough, there's been fanart of that for years. But then again, picturing Optimus Prime joining the Ghostbusters is strangely believable and completely hilarious.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The ghosts are really the biggest strength of Ghostbusters in any medium. They can be goofy, scary, legitimately dangerous, or all three at once, but the important thing is that the characters and the writers take them seriously.

The cartoon had a pretty legendary creature designer that went on to work on the awesomely hosed up Jumanji cartoon, iirc.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Extreme Ghostbusters, obviously.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SimonCat posted:

Has there ever been a canonical crossover between the Ghostbusters and the Real Ghostbusters?

When I was a kid I used made it work by thinking the Filmation Ghostbusters were the kids of the original Ghostbusters.

The IDW comics have 'The Ghostbusters Get Real' with the film Ghostbusters meeting the cartoon ones and pointing out about every difference. Also later on that connects to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles crossover, where they recruit 'Blonde Egon' to replace the MIA movie Egon.

They also had a crossover later with the 2016 Ghostbusters, which may or may not have actually managed to salvage something out of that. I'm sure they'd probably have done one with the Filmation Ghostbusters too if they had the rights.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean, it was the 80s.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Avril Lavigne posted:

It's two girls and two boys all in their early teens.

...wait, is one of them in a wheelchair

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Venkman is still one of the more interesting characters because a con man/charlatan/supernatural debunker working with the genuine supernatural is interesting, especially when he adjusts without a hitch and also seems along with Egon to be the one putting Dana through a battery of tests before investigating her apartment- probably because he knows that a lot of cranks and the mentally ill are going to be asking the Ghostbusters to deal with their problems along with the genuinely haunted.

There's a rare mix, I think, of taking the supernatural seriously to the point of considering where it fits into the real world. There's a likeable pragmatism to the Ghostbusters that carries over a bit into the cartoons, where they encounter all kinds of supernatural beings, some of which aren't necessarily malevolent. Even in GB2 Slimer helps out Tully.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a Lego Ghostbusters comic going on at the moment. Funny thing is it starts out with an original Transformer who seems like basically a giant robot version of Egon. You can probably guess what his alt-mode turns out to be.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yes, I'm beyond the capacity for rational thought today and got my toys mixed up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Iron Crowned posted:

My mom hates toilet humor too.

She is also the one who got fed up at someone not flushing (90% chance it was my brother), and told us that the poopy monster would come out of the toilet and get us if we didn't flush.

The Great Mighty Poo?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

That reminds me, one thing that's kind of a letdown about the ghostbusters video game is that they go through this whole thing of putting Walter Peck more or less in charge of the Ghostbusters as a PR move by the mayor, but nothing really comes of it. He basically does exactly what you'd expect, try to stop them from ever doing anything, but they just ignore him entirely, he doesn't actually impede them in any way, and all that comes of it is that it was a complete misdirection and the real villain was using Peck as a distraction to keep the busters off his trail.

I think there's a lot of comedic potential that was wasted there with Peck and the gang being forced to actually work together, endlessly bickering. Maybe he has some character growth, maybe his knowledge of the environment actually helps stop the bad guy, who knows.

The IDW comics do exactly this and for the most part a lot better. He's described as 'liking the idea of the Ghostbusters a lot more than the reality' and it doesn't help that Venkman just can't stop riffing on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The comics actually had a crossover between the movie and cartoon Ghostbusters. Blonde Egon even makes a return in the TMNT crossover.