Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Frankly, I could see Murray signing off if it's both a good script, and one he doesn't have to be in.

I remember the RLM review that speculated what Murray mostly wanted for his cameo was to be able to remain seated for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah we got the #FeigCut but what we really needed was a cut that followed the actual script to complete cohesive character arcs instead of improv'ing every scene into oblivion so everything ran together in a sea of bad jokes

How much of that cut is just Chris Hemsworth at the desk doing shtick with his logos?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Guy A. Person posted:

I've said this before but Kristen Wiig's arc is one that makes sense but is just directly undermined by all the ad libbing/improvisation. Her backstory is that she saw a ghost and nobody believed her so now she is obsessed with being taken seriously. In all the major plot beats this carries through: she is timid until she finds proof, then her confidence swells, then she comes crashing down when faced with scrutiny. But then there's extended scenes where she's like, doing a bit with McCarthy about the plot of Dirty Dancing or whatever which just doesn't jive with what should be happening with her characterization. They could have paired the jokes with her upswings of confidence but it really just happens in whatever scene regardless of context, so even when she is supposed to be feeling defeated and resentful she's still just goofing off.

It dawned on me I don't actually remember a thing about Melissa McCarthy's character aside from the wonton soup bit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Guy A. Person posted:

That’s true but there’s characterization, like Ray being the overeager team mascot. Wiig is the only one with an actual arc, McCarthy’s at most is like “was hurt by being abandoned but becomes friends again”. In either case it’s all thrown out the window when it’s time for a gag, which you really don’t see in the original.

Yeah, the guys don't have arcs but they do have roles.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

King Vidiot posted:

(Which would be a good Ghostbusters plot. A techbro steals the forgotten tech the Ghostbusters abandoned and then retools it and claims it as his own, sets up a billion-dollar industry)

They did that in the comics I believe.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Was Chevy originally intended to be in the Ghostbusters cast?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh, interesting. I'd heard about Belushi and Murphy, but never Chase.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

text me a vag pic posted:

I have no idea what the episode's list is there, but it the show is missing the Slimer and the RGB, I think it's still worth getting. I managed to score this bad boy last decade and I'm glad I did.

Yeah, if the series has the first couple of seasons before that crazy outfit hired by ABC's Standards and Practices got their hooks into it, you've got the best episodes. Or basically if you've got Lorenzo Music playing Venkman you're golden.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Julius CSAR posted:

I like the episode where Venkman fights Cthullhu on a roller coaster.

My first exposure to Lovecraft. It was one of the episodes (I believe for syndication, so they could get away with more) that felt legit creepy when I watched it as a kid.

Of course the Extreme Ghostbusters would fight the Cenobites so that was a thing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Winston was in the ecto-1, driving around the block, looking for parking.

That reminds me the focus group ABC got to 'fix' the cartoon's rationale for Winston was that he was 'the driver.' He should be the one driving the Ecto-1. Because... reasons.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Malcolm Excellent posted:

As a child, and today, Winston is my favorite because he was so normal. I could be Winston. He's an everyman that got paid near minimum wage to blow poo poo up and bust ghosts.

As people who watched Ghostbusters as a kid get older, I think it's Winston who becomes the character that feels increasingly relatable. "As long as there's a steady paycheck in it, I'll believe anything you say."

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 10, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Violator posted:

Holy shot, I don’t think my adult brain realizes how much of this show I watched as a kid. It’s all coming back as I watch these clips.

Right? I had a dream not too long ago that was pretty much just the episode 'When Halloween Was Forever' which was a big deal at the time, airing in prime time and everything as a Halloween special alongside like Charlie Brown and Garfield.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The only thing that really gets me about GB II is clearly Winston is there in the courtroom but doesn't stick around when the Scoleri brothers show up. Sure, they might have only had three proton packs but you could have had all four as evidence so he could have helped out. Or maybe at least showing him getting everybody out of the courtroom.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just seems really weird he wouldn't be there, y'know... supporting his friends and coworkers.

He's there:

Then he just disappears like Timby says. That's why it always struck me as weird.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

no mom very hungry posted:

According to the IDW Comics Ghostbusters Annual 2017, Winston was facing off against the Scolari brothers' mother https://ghostbusters.fandom.com/wiki/Mama_Scoleri .

:ghost:

Wow, the ghost of Ma Fratelli.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ConfusedUs posted:

Some day, if I manage to achieve home ownership, the guest bathroom is going to have the largest possible print of that painting possible opposite the toilet, so Vigo can judge those who dare defecate in his presence.

I would rectify his tragic Carpathian Kitten Loss.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shout out to mixing in the theme from Extreme Ghostbusters.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LividLiquid posted:

People still bring up the fact that there was a wheelchair Ghostbuster as some gotchya' about "forced diversity" and it's like, yeah, pal. Kids in wheelchairs getting one non-canon cartoon Ghostbuster and one member of the Burger King Kid's Club 25 years ago to see themselves in their media sure is a good reason to be violently angry.

Just imagine. A cast of a Black guy, a Latino guy, a guy in a wheelchair and a GIRL with only one original cast member who doesn't even come out to hunt ghosts much. A certain type of people would come unglued today.

That said I thought EGB was pretty good overall. It's got an episode where an R.L. Stine-alike writes the Cenobites into existence for heaven's sake. My only two issues with the show were the animation quality wasn't great and they never seemed scared of the ghosts very much which kind of took the wind out of the episodes' plots sometimes. Still worth checking out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

I hated that episode because the originals all came across as dicks.

Also they didn't spring for Lorenzo Music back as Peter and went with Coulier.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Are the IDW comics any good?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It has some nice touches, like the reveal that Venkmen gots his doctorate in parapsychology because there are so few experts that no one could call him out on his bullshit.

That made me genuinely laugh out loud. Sold.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bacon Terrorist posted:

As long as it is tightly scripted it will be fine, I think it was done to death on youtube etc but that was one of the biggest issues with 2016, goofball humour in scenes dragging on three times too long.

Yeah. They had a good cast but a mostly improv-fueled take was not the way to go. Or at least it needed to be given to a different editor.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean, 2016 GB tried to replicate that magic. I would argue that Chris Hemsworth was the biggest star of that movie, much like Sigorney Weaver was in GB84. All the rest were SNL alums for the most part. I guess Wiig had more mainstream success than like Akroyd or Murray had at that point but...

Wiig was nominated for an Oscar for the Bridesmaids screenplay,* but yeah. If Eddie Murphy had actually been in the original film I think he would have been the biggest as he was really blowing up around that time.

*I wonder what she would have done with the 2016 script if they gave it to her (and she wanted to do it).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kemper Boyd posted:

A lot of why the original movie is so good is that it really lets the plot breathe. Worth remembering there's actually just a grand total of one scene of them doing ghostbusting, the rest is implied through other scenes and the montage, while the whole Gozer plot slowly putters on. Of course a lot of that has to do with special effects being laborious and expensive back in the day.

I've heard the original described as a 'long short movie' and I think I get it. It's a very tight movie that manages to make you realize it's not skipping to the end really quickly.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They cheat a lot with the timeframe throughout the movie and hide it really well. The scene where they first meet Dana and then go on their first ghostbusting gig is a great example - when Dana walks in Ray is working on the Ecto-1 which is still an unpainted black hearse with no ghostbusting equipment on it, then they interview her about her Zuul incident and Peter goes to her apartment to check it out, then they cut back to the firehouse where they're sitting around eating Chinese takeaway and making a toast "To our first ..... and only .... customer" (as if the earlier scene only just happened) and suddenly they get the call from the Sedgewick Hotel and rush off in the fully repainted & decked out Ecto-1 with a full complement of proton packs & ghostbusting gear. There was a timeskip of at least a month hidden in there.

Oh, that's interesting. You could infer "this magnificent feast represents the last of our petty cash" just meant 'oh they blew their money wad and now they're about to go into the red' and not instead it's been likely they've just been sitting around for ages waiting on a call and playing those Missile Command and Star Castle arcade games.

Payndz posted:

Yeah, 2 hits a lot of the same beats as the original because they either didn't want or couldn't be bothered to change the zeroes-to-heroes arc of the Ghostbusters. So they start off in a similar position as discredited failures, and have to build up the business all over again, complete with another montage following their first successful bust. Similarly, Venkman is back to square one in his relationship with Dana because it's easier to write and gives him a secondary goal, even if it's exactly the same as in the first film. (Cf Langdon's love interest in each of Dan Brown's novels being nowhere to be found in the next book.)

Honestly it feels like the lease they could have done was integrated Winston right off, by which I guess I mostly mean have him come out to check the intersection with the others and helping out in the courtroom.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tom Guycot posted:

I still quote "everything you are doing is bad, I want you to know this"

"Janny, where in the hell are you from?"
"...ze Upper Vest zide?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Narsham posted:

True, although at least the Real Ghostbusters gives him more focus. (So maybe it should be “Ernie Hudson is tragically underused”.)

Those notes from the network consultants urging the program to simplify the character roles by having Egon the brain, Peter the mouth, Ray the hands and Winston the driver still make my blood boil.

The comics also do solid work with Winston. He's honestly the heart of the team there, more than Ray.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I guess his pack wasn't there (he wasn't arrested, his stuff wasn't confiscated), so he did the best he could. :shrug:

Were I doing my armchair rewrite, I'd just have Winston there when they check the intersection and get busted (heh) so poof, four proton packs as evidence.

I really gotta read these someday. Like, all of them.

There's honestly a really cool scene where an ancient demon possesses Venkman who completely no-sells the fact it feeds on fear. Really working that psychology degree.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is the game where 'Rookie' comes from?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

roffels posted:

A nerdy hobby of mine and fluke chance of my friend getting asked to help Ernie Hudson led to me spending an afternoon with him. It's kind of heartbreaking hearing Ernie talk about how he auditioned for the cartoon, and was told he doesn't sound like the character. "I could have used the job at the time."

Aw, that's a shame. Although for what it's worth Arsenio Hall didn't think he'd get it either as Hudson was there to audition, but apparently everybody was being told 'no impressions' so that might be why Ernie didn't get it as dumb as that sounds. It does get a little funnier as Maurice LaMarche was worried because he was an impressionist but they decided that worked for Egon.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

deoju posted:

Super happy with it. Just waiting for my phone to ring. ;)

Wow! That's amazing work.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PhotoKirk posted:

Am I the only one old enough to have played Ghostbusters on the C-64?

https://www.c64-wiki.com/wiki/Ghostbusters

I hope it was better on there than it was on the NES.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Did they ever do a home version of the arcade game? I remember playing that at the bowling alley a lot. (It was either that or Rampage.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Huh, that's cool. I don't think I've ever seen any RGB. Would it still be worth watching without specific nostalgia?

If Lorenzo Music is voicing Venkman instead of Dave Coulier, you're probably in for a good time. Specific episodes that are really good off the top of my head aside from the above are "Collect Call of Cathulhu," "When Halloween Was Forever,"* "Knock, Knock" "Mr. Sandman, Dream Me a Dream,"** and the kinda sad "Drool The Dog-Faced Goblin."

*That one premiered as a Halloween special in prime time.
**The first time Janine does the busting of ghosts, I think.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One other one I'll throw out is The Revenge of Murray the Mantis which is one of the rare Egon backstory episodes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dog_Meat posted:

God, the C64 had some crap games...

I think it was even worse on the NES. I remember my dad brought home like half a dozen NES games because somebody at work was getting rid of their kid's collection or the kid was or whatever, but I was the lucky recipient. The first two I played of that little collection was Tetris and Castlevania II so we're on high and solid and ground and then Ghostbusters! A GAME about Ghostbusters! I wondered if Dad could have gotten the money he didn't pay for them back.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I like the RGB YT channel adds an Arsenio Hall hashtag.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bacon Terrorist posted:

It definitely wouldn't fly in modern cinema but I think the persistent loser/creep was basically a trope in 80s cinema?

Oh, yes. The 'charming lothario' for lack of a better term was definitely a thing back then, especially in the slobs v. snobs comedies.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

King Vidiot posted:

I never even considered where he got the Thorazine, but then when I was doing most of my Ghostbusters re-watching I didn't even know what Thorazine was (other than tranquilizer/sleeping pills from the context).

When I gave it any thought at all, I just assumed Dana had it in her medicine cabinet as an anxiety or sleep aid :shrug:

I've also seen 'Dana already had it' but there's certainly enough evidence to infer Peter went out and got it. Honestly I think it's just Aykroyd and Ramis thought psychologists could write scrips like psychiatrists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Splint Chesthair posted:

Oh, that makes a lot of sense, yeah.

We can only imagine what buying the Ecto-1 was like as I think Ray did that on his own. "WOW! An old ambulance! I'll take it!"