Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Interestingly the reboot seemed to lean way too into the comedy and this seems to be whiplashing in the other direction to lean into the darker aspect. I'm sure the comedy will be there since they have Rudd tho, but that mix the originals achieved seems hard to pin down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

text me a vag pic posted:

and then Maggie laughed.

she's such a little trooper!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

30 years from now there’s a movie where some kids on AI hoverboards find bikes, as a nostalgia movie for the “kids on bikes finding things” genre

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

Yes, we all did.

No humanbeing would stack books like that

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Merkinman posted:

Sequel does its own thing:
Ugh this isn't [franchise] at all! This sucks!

Sequel is not its own thing:
Ugh why even make it, if it's just rehashing the original? This sucks!

90% of sequels shouldn't exist for this exact reason

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

I"m going to see it twice just to spite you

lol jesus christ

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

They did Winston so dirty in 2, and it basically seemed like it was just so they could follow the loose formula of the first movie. Winston should have been part of all the hijinks from the beginning, at the very least during the courtroom fight (I can forgive him not going to Dana's apt to inspect Oscar)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Even with thorough social distancing the virus is widespread enough that it’s going to keep cycling through people who can’t/won’t self quarantine (health care workers, other essential services, people so poor that they need to risk going out to do whatever jobs they can) and won’t just burn out in the next few months. We’re looking at several months followed probably by staggered rollbacks to normalcy, it won’t just be like “welp it’s July, everything is going back to normal!”

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah we got the #FeigCut but what we really needed was a cut that followed the actual script to complete cohesive character arcs instead of improv'ing every scene into oblivion so everything ran together in a sea of bad jokes

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

text me a vag pic posted:

I swear there's a lot in GB16 somewhere in there. Something about the bicentienial in New York and the lay lines and Patty's whole background of knowing city history. I swear, there was a plot in there and they forgot it.

I've said this before but Kristen Wiig's arc is one that makes sense but is just directly undermined by all the ad libbing/improvisation. Her backstory is that she saw a ghost and nobody believed her so now she is obsessed with being taken seriously. In all the major plot beats this carries through: she is timid until she finds proof, then her confidence swells, then she comes crashing down when faced with scrutiny. But then there's extended scenes where she's like, doing a bit with McCarthy about the plot of Dirty Dancing or whatever which just doesn't jive with what should be happening with her characterization. They could have paired the jokes with her upswings of confidence but it really just happens in whatever scene regardless of context, so even when she is supposed to be feeling defeated and resentful she's still just goofing off.

I feel like a lot of the production went like this. I.e. "oh this scene is supposed to have Patty explaining some ritual that happened in the subway tunnels 80 years ago but we had a really funny take where Jones went off on some tangent and we were all dying so let's use that one" etc. They seemed to choose funny improvised scenes in 90% of the cases and sacrificed characterization and story in the hopes that how much fun they were all having on set carried over into the audience experience.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

It dawned on me I don't actually remember a thing about Melissa McCarthy's character aside from the wonton soup bit.

Yeah her character seems to have been conceived to mostly be a direct foil for Wiig's; like the end of Wiig's arc is that she realizes she should care more about the people who do believe and care about her than freak out about what the average person thinks, whereas McCarthy is the person who already valued loyalty and felt betrayed by Wiig who abandoned her previously. So when Wiig's arc collapses McCarthy's fares even worse because there's nothing to compare/contract it with and you're left with...wonton soup.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

That’s true but there’s characterization, like Ray being the overeager team mascot. Wiig is the only one with an actual arc, McCarthy’s at most is like “was hurt by being abandoned but becomes friends again”. In either case it’s all thrown out the window when it’s time for a gag, which you really don’t see in the original.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Timby posted:

I think he's full of poo poo. Murray was attached to the project very early on, and he and Chase have a visceral hatred of one another.

I assumed this too but they did work together on Caddyshack and there's a photo of Chase visiting the Ghostbusters set.

I could see it going either way since post-Belushi it was pretty much Murray's movie and he might not have wanted the competition for leading man, but it does seem they made up enough once they made the transition to movies that they weren't fist fighting each other on sight at least.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

As with perhaps most 1980s comedies, the protagonists are not-good people. Half the jokes in the movie involve for-profit exorcism being a horrible loving idea.

I went looking for the deleted scene Karloff posted about earlier and another cut scene had Winston waiting in front of Janine while she tells someone roughly "we can't get to you until next Friday, my advice is just stay out of your house until then" while Winston raises a concerned eyebrow. This is obviously even more on the nose with that theme.

It's probably notable that the only on-screen, non-montage related bust is at a super stuffy hotel, so their antics come off as "sticking it to the man" rather than gouging some homeowner who just wants to get rid of the poltergeist who tried to eat their baby or something.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

The only thing that really gets me about GB II is clearly Winston is there in the courtroom but doesn't stick around when the Scoleri brothers show up. Sure, they might have only had three proton packs but you could have had all four as evidence so he could have helped out. Or maybe at least showing him getting everybody out of the courtroom.

Or working the trap.

I've always assumed they kept it to those 3 because they wanted to keep the same loose story beats as GB1, so they needed their "these three guys blow up some place while fighting wacky cartoon ghost(s)" moment. It's disappointing to say the least.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Everyone posted:

See, the best part of this is that neither of these people seem to recognize this thing from Ghostbusters II.

Maybe :thejoke: but this is an edit (you can see a halo around the lady's head when it overlaps the painting)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

wtf does the tiny marshmallow man bite him with??? HE AINT GOT NO TEETH!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

PhotoKirk posted:

Am I the only one old enough to have played Ghostbusters on the C-64?

https://www.c64-wiki.com/wiki/Ghostbusters

There was an NES port of the game and I'm old enough to have played it but young enough that I had zero loving clue what was going on or what I was supposed to be doing at any point.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's at 4:48 in that video. Rewatching it now, he does stop freaking out, but starts to go right back into it after "now DO something!", so I guess they just just flat out cut him off in post. :shrug:

Wow, I think there was a bunch cut out from the actual battle. Egon rolls the trap out, but all of a sudden, Ray's yelling "Spengy, no no!!", it cuts to Peter very clearly mouthing "poo poo, poo poo poo poo!!"... and then... success? What the hell?

It looks like the part behind the screen was maybe shortened overall, since there's also some weird ADR for the judge saying "now do something!" where his mouth hangs open a second too long then Louis seems to start to say something again. Also the 'busters smile then get serious, so maybe they were going to try to mess with him some more and that got re-edited to cut it there.

As for the end of the battle, I think Ray is yelling "Now now now, Spengy!" and then they just cut the "poo poo" vocal for kid friendliness.

(also as far the "sleepy" thing, I think the idea is they are all squinting from the bursts of light, they all are under the desk as well)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So maybe this got discussed but is the idea that Egon had a secret off-screen family during GB2 or are Carrie Coon and the kids playing slightly younger or are they just playing with the timeline a bit?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yea the fans loving the gadgets is not the same as the movies fetishizing them. If anything the first movie in particular plays up how dangerous and kind of ludicrous they are (the elevator proton pack power up, “don’t cross the streams”, “I looked at the trap Ray :stare:”, the containment unit blowing). They do a little bit more with making them toyetic in 2 but it’s still not like e.g. 2016 where they have a whole “check out these gadgets, now available at Walmart for $39.99” scene

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Actually, even when Peter meets back up with Dana, she says he's a real celebrity. Later on "well, actually mom, he's a Ghostbuster.... those guys on TV."

Not arguing your overall point but at this point in the story they’re more like a local lawyer or car salesman with a goofy/memorable jingle or commercial. She’s definitely not bragging to her mom that’s she’s dating a Ghostbuster.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

:wtc:

They are absolutely minor celebrities in the first movie. They're on the front page of every newspaper and the cover of Time, Newsweek, and a bunch of other magazines I'm forgetting right now. Larry King is interviewing them!

They're for sure celebrities but my point is they are not glamorous celebrities. When Dana says "you're a big celebrity now" it's after she busts his chops for his lie about being able to pick her out in the orchestra, when she tells her mom she's dating a Ghostbuster it's with a hint of embarrassment. Also they aren't interviewed by Larry King, King reports on them and calls them controversial and repeats claims that they are the ones engineering the incidents themselves. When a TV host asks Ray "how is Elvis, and have you seen him lately" it's because they're kind of a joke (at least to establishment types, the average person might think they're great, a guy gives them some roast ducks!)

It's like how the Tiger King is a celebrity (but in an obviously less scummy and murdery way, but still in a "check out this latest sideshow" way)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Can’t wait for part 3 which will presumably either remake 2016 or else just cycle right back to part 1 again

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Of all the many well-deserved complaints about Ghostbusters 2016 the idea that the characters were trying to be retreads of the originals is completely foreign to me. Aside from extremely loose archetypes like "is the working class Ghostbuster and is also black" and "is a weirdo who loves esoteric science stuff and wears glasses" none of them are characterized the same as the originals even before all the ad-libbing. Like who would Peter or Ray be in this paradigm? McCarthy's character is much more of an actual scientist than Venkman and is nowhere near the slimy con-artist, and Wiig's is too self-conscious to be remotely like Ray (or really any of them, aside from maybe some Venkman scenes where he is trying to distance himself from the weirdness to appear more respectable)

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 29, 2021

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

gregday posted:

McCarthy/Ray are chubby and geek out over ghost stuff. I think that’s literally it.

Yeah, at best they started from a broad archetype for each 'buster like "okay we need an excitable one, a geeky one who handles the tech, an 'everyperson' who can voice the audience's confusion, etc" and built their new characters from that understanding, but outside of that none of them have much in common with their "counterparts" even in places where there is a clear counterpart

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh hey I’ll take a link

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

lol at all the babbies in the FB comments whining about cancelling their order because it comes with a digital code for ATC. Dude, it’s a slip of paper, throw it away if women scare you that much.

Lol holy poo poo that’s loving insane. It’s not like they aren’t financially supporting the same studio regardless of what version they buy. Holy hell that’s dumb hahaha

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean they are already nervous about switching on the proton packs because they are tiny nuclear reactors strapped to their backs. Also "...every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light" sounds like, at minimum, we are talking about setting off a nuclear blast in downtown Manhattan, so even if it's not "this destroys the entire universe" bad, it's still worse than just risking their own lives.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

8one6 posted:

"The Ghostbusters are evil" is some real CineD brain worms poo poo.

The issue is everything has to be inherently tied to an IP to even be considered a viable idea, and the average person is picking up on that and desperately longing for original ideas by vaguely tying them to something already marketable.

Like “what if the afterlife was policed by some frightening government force” isn’t an inherently bad idea, it’s like a more anti-authoritarian take on Beetlejuice where the bureaucracy is just boring and not oppressive m. Likewise Men in Black is just Ghostbusters but with government funding.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

Reminder our introduction to Peter is lying in an experiment to sleep with a student.

And torturing a dude who is potentially proving his purported scientific theory just for a laugh

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

“Gaslighting” is a really loaded and incorrect term to use there. He obviously doesn’t fully believe her and is mocking her a bit, but he’s not using an abuser tactic to get her to doubt her own memory.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I’d argue that Venkman at least starts taking poo poo more seriously as he starts falling for Dana and working with the guys. It’s hard to imagine the Venkman at the beginning of the movie (who is conning those college students) selflessly sacrificing himself to destroy Gozer. It’s definitely not as spelled out with a breakthrough scene like you’d get in a modern movie tho

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We called that "Ghostbusters 2-ing a post"

Lol

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I said before but there's multiple moments where the stupid ad libbing approach directly undercuts obvious characterization. Like Wiig's character's entire thing is "wants badly to be taken seriously, get's over excited when she thinks she's proven right, then regresses hard when it blows up in her face" but she still spares some time to riff on Patrick Swayze movies to the cops when it's completely out of character. McCarthy's character clearly has vague nods to caring about loyalty since she felt betrayed by Wiig, but this is never really fleshed out much and whatever else could have been there is replaced by wonton soup gags.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I heard that, too. Apparently, a lot of Winston's lines were originally someone else's. So... Like.... They'd just have one guy who doesn't talk? Like the first two seasons of The Shield?

Yea assuming this is true and considering they had already drastically reduced Winston’s part from when he was an Air Force major, it seems like after they couldn’t get (or couldn’t afford?) Eddie Murphy they just…didn’t know what to do with him and kept him as just a nebulous fourth guy.

I’ve always been really happy with the Winston we got for GB1 despite all that tho, I think the bigger crime was keeping him out of a bunch of the GB2 early scenes just as a way to kind of artificially force it into the same general pattern of GB1.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The feature film adaptations of Bass Masters.

It's a fishing movie.

Oh yeah I’ve seen bass masters

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh boy wait till you figure out the subtle joke behind The Key Master and the Gatekeeper

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Alan_Shore posted:

I can imagine you watching this scene, tutting loudly and turning to the annoyed person next to you "Can you believe this? This is abuse!"

"Geez, you must be some kind of annoying dork in real life!" I insist while continuing to argue with other adults about Ghostbusters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Meanwhile, you saw something strange in your neighbourhood, and then failed to call anyone more brave to assist you!

goddamn