Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

The_Doctor posted:

It's coming on the Switch too.

The PC port was an absolute wreck, and failed to work properly.

I never had a problem with it. I played it every now and again. Ran fine. It also has 360 controller support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

The_Doctor posted:

So I’ve got the 4K Blu-ray, and tried it this evening to see how it looks. I was expecting a crystal clear vibrant picture, but drat it’s dark and super grainy. Honestly, I’m very disappointed.

I have not seen the 4K Ghostbusters disc yet, but I got to say, I really appreciate when discs capture the look of film accurately instead of trying to remove film grain.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

The Human Crouton posted:

I just don't want to see kids at all. I don't want to see them in flashbacks, I don't want to see them in dream sequences, I don't want to see Brody Globstein hit a home run for them, I don't want them to be haunting spirits with British accents, I don't want to see Bruce Wayne's parents get shot, I don't want to see them taken hostage and have to be saved because they are so precious.

I don't want any more kids in movies.

When was the last time you were excited there was a sequel to a film you like that features children? None? Me neither. And yes, I hold the addition of children to Aliens against it.

Edit - Ok, X23 in the last Wolverine film was kind of great.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

ruddiger posted:

Make him a slimer.

Make him the form of the destructor.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

The_Doctor posted:

Wasn’t the original PC port back in 2007/8 legendarily trash?

I'm not familiar with the controversy, but played through the original Steam release a few times without issue.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Narsham posted:

True, although at least the Real Ghostbusters gives him more focus. (So maybe it should be “Ernie Hudson is tragically underused”.)

Those notes from the network consultants urging the program to simplify the character roles by having Egon the brain, Peter the mouth, Ray the hands and Winston the driver still make my blood boil.

A nerdy hobby of mine and fluke chance of my friend getting asked to help Ernie Hudson led to me spending an afternoon with him. It's kind of heartbreaking hearing Ernie talk about how he auditioned for the cartoon, and was told he doesn't sound like the character. "I could have used the job at the time."

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Dawgstar posted:

Did they ever do a home version of the arcade game? I remember playing that at the bowling alley a lot. (It was either that or Rampage.)

Yes, on the C64. Maybe some other 8-bit computers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2sKCU1yBOw

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Payndz posted:

The fake Beetlejuice 2 (Be2lejuice?) posters doing the rounds made me surprised that nobody's done a Ghostbusters Vs Beetlejuice crossover yet - ghost exterminators against bio-exorcist. Or is somebody going to tell me that Real Ghostbusters did an episode that was basically that?

You had to go to Universal Studios and catch their shows to see that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft5G4gE0PUc

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

But what about Casper, is that in continuity?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

text me a vag pic posted:

I have my tickets pre-ordered for Ghostbusters 3. Been waiting on this since 1990.

This image is giving me flashbacks to gbcentral.org in the late 1990s/early 2000s.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

WonkyBob posted:

One of the Blurays has really awful colour "correction" and the entire shot looks green (even Murrays face), I wonder if the colourist had similar thoughts. "I'm sure this looked greener... I'll just..... Tweak this.... A little.... What do you mean I can't revert changes?"

https://www.theraffon.net/spookcentral/gb1_homevid_compare.htm

The first DVD I bought was that 1999 version with the heavier purple hue, wish I knew more about colour grading because I'd love to get the colours in the 2160p version to match it.
That's a really good comparison. Some fan actually got ahold of and scanned a 35mm print, complete with cigarette burns, film grain, missing frames, and scratches - got a chance to watch that last night on a projector. It's probably the closest I'll get to seeing it as it was in the 80s.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Abner Assington posted:

I feel like almost every rewatch of the original gets me catching some little bit of acting that I didn't catch previously. This time around, it was Venkman mockingly sniffing the air after Ray says, "Listen! You smell something?" and the realtor mean mugging the poo poo out of Egon as he describes how the firehouse should be condemned.

Goddamn, what a fantastic film.

Huh. I noticed Venkman sniffing for the first time last night too.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

I enjoyed Afterlife. Maybe not the Ghostbusters sequel I wanted, but it was fun for what it is. I really enjoyed Mckenna Grace's performance. Paul Rudd is fun.

Where did the kids all get the proton packs at the end?

Regarding the main plot, is it fair things could have just continued as is, for a long time, if Ghost Egon hadn't shown Phoebe the trap? After all, that intervention more or less led to the final showdown.

Things that took me out of the film,
Ghosts that fly along streets back to the mountain rather than taking a direct path
A nitpick, but the batteries totally would have been dead on that remote-controlled ghost trap if it had been sitting in the ecto 1
"Egon Spengler can burn in hell" - not my Ray Stantz! I could buy that from Venkman or even Winston

It's fine but
Less CGI egon
The first Annie Potts cameo is weird. She's hanging out in Sommerville just go provide exposition and then disappear completely for the rest of the film until she's back in New York at the end? Also I guess I wish Louis could have shown up and ramble a bit about Egon's finances.
While most of the film looked like it was on location, Ray/Peter/Winston at the end looked like it was shot on a small soundstage and felt very boxed in and cheap

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

The_Doctor posted:

Phoebe has the same pack she's had all along, and Trevor is using the gunner seat pack. Podcast doesn't have one, and Lucky is a Terror Dog. The OGs all bought theirs from home, it looks like.

Ah. I didn't realize those were different packs.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I'm glad the fan base has decided to shrug off the accusations of toxicity from 2016 by dogpiling anyone who is remotely critical of Afterlife online :allears:

It's a shame dialogue around basically any major film franchise is as toxic as it is. What's with that? I'm a dork and participate in some online music scenes with my favorite bands, it seems so wholesome in comparison.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Looking forward to Hudson telling a bunch of kids he's seen poo poo that would turn them white.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Malcolm Excellent posted:

https://youtu.be/Uc2jXrxI1SU

I'm about to drop a bad amount of money

I want one of these, but like, once I have it, what do I do with it?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Jerkface posted:

Wear it to ghostbuster conventions, to walmarts, and around your neighborhood on halloween

Pretty sure that would get me shot or mugged in my neighborhood

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Wrangling ghosts was fun, the stasis "shot gun" and slime mechanics less so.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

AndyElusive posted:

I mean, the slime blower worked like you'd expect it to from GB2.

Sure, that doesn't mean I enjoyed hosing the floors of levels or found the mechanic fun.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Timby posted:

The problem was that the trapping mechanic was effectively abandoned after the Hotel Sedgwick level and the game instead became Gears of War with a Ghostbusters skin on it.

Indeed. And why even have a tutorial instructing you to retrieve your trap? Feels like there was a mechanic that was abandoned, such as having limited traps or financial incentive to retrieve them

roffels fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 26, 2021

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

8one6 posted:

I never got to the end boss because I couldn't tether ghosts for poo poo.

It's been a minute, but I don't think you ever actually needed to tether ghosts. Spray with slime, sure! Otherwise tethering seemed more important for interacting with the environment.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

The_Doctor posted:

You needed to tether those loving cherubs in Central Park to get past the gate.

Oh... Yeah. The gate...

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Bring back Ghostbusters vs Scottish Faeries or dig into some folklore.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Make a holiday film remaking a Christmas Carol, but instead of anyone learning any lessons, the Ghostbusters bust the ghosts of Christmas past.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

My local theater recently decided to have captions enabled on every single film. Like, I'm cool with inclusivity, but I find it super distracting when the text is telegraphing things before and as they happen. So, besides covid, it's probably going to be home movies for me now too.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I watch every movie with captions because it rules

Go see films at my local cinema!

I watch some films with captions. I like options.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

The Merkinman posted:

Finally saw it last night

What of all the other ghosts around town?

Good question - was this addressed in the first two films too?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

deoju posted:

Ghostbusters is a going in to business movie.
Ghostbusters 2 is a going back into business movie.
Ghostbusters 2016 is a going into business movie.
Ghostbusters Aftterlife is a going back into business movie.

The franchise has retread ground. If I had a time machine and poo poo tons of money I'd make the Ghostbusters a monster of the week show like the X-Files, or even something closer to the cartoon.

I'd take a page from Red Letter Media and explore different issues with running a business. Knock-off competitors, Ghosbusters unionizing and Venkman breaking the law by union busting, Ghostbusters go bankrupt, Venkman breaks a non-compete clause and splinters off, whatever. Just play with the premise.

roffels fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 6, 2021

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Everyone posted:

Honestly the least believable plot point to me was the idea that at some point Egon had sex with a female human and got her pregnant.

Are we sure he did? My head cannon is that he was experimenting with artificial insemination.

roffels fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 15, 2021

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Extra row of tits posted:

Oh cool, we have reached the point in every thread where people are bored with the topic and just start being dicks.

I have spoilered my post, but your quote of my post is unspoilered, FYI.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I finally got to see the movie! I can finally mouse over all those spoiler bars in this thread. :buddy:

I liked the modern day aspects of the film (the new characters, etc) but all the connections to the original film felt clunky and badly written.

I know it's cliche, but this probably would have made a better mini-series than a feature-length film. Could have let the family drama breathe a little bit, explored Ivan Shandor's impact on the town, maybe rope in some Gozer worshippers, and still bring the original crew back in the final episode.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, James Rolfe, who I normally enjoy, 'famously' refused to watch or review the 2016 Ghostbusters, but has released a review for the new one. I don't get it... Was it the reboot angle that he didn't like, or the woman one?

Also, is anyone else really tired of hearing the term "passing the torch"?

He may just not have liked it, and didn't want to get involved in internet arguments over it. Like, I just found the whole film tedious and boring, but at the time, it didn't seem like you could say anything about it without it becoming an argument (in certain circles, anyways)

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

As far as I know, he didn't watch it. He released his video before saying he refused to even watch it. I could be misremembering though.
Ah, I see. I only remembered he refused to review it, not watch it.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Karloff posted:

I hope the scene of Louis confronting the muggers is released.

I thought it was posted earlier in this thread, there's some footage of it here: https://www.theraffon.net/spookcentral/gb1_deleted15.htm

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Basebf555 posted:

I've always been a GB2 defender. I was born in 84 so by 89 when GB2 came out that was a BIG DEAL for me. It's always been just as important to my connection with Ghostbusters as the first film was.

Same, except the last time I watched it, in the lead-up to Afterlife, I realized it just doesn't do anything for me any more. The first film is still perfection. Part 2 felt like a chore.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Basebf555 posted:

That was one of my main issues with Afterlife, they turned Gozer into a somewhat standard ghost villain that the Ghostbusters can have a back and forth battle with. In the original film Gozer returning basically means game over, it's not something you really fight. The Ghostbusters only have their one, borderline suicidal, ace in the hole to play and even that uses Gozer's own portal against it. It seems pretty clear that there's no chance of actually holding Gozer in the usual proton stream or catching Gozer in a trap, Gozer is a literal god.

It's like they forgot what crossing the streams even meant. I try not to be a nerd about canon, but considering they only had callbacks to one film's story, it shouldn't be hard to get right.

roffels fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 21, 2022

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

deoju posted:

The one thing I would change out the movie is Dana's appearance. I wish she showed up at the end with the other 3. Proton pack and jumpsuit with her own name tag, to show that at some point she was a member of the team. Then Gozer is strong enough to fight off the 4 crossed proton streams this time. Then Phoebe comes up with a 5th and the rest of the movie plays out the same way. I read Weaver didn't want to be in the movie at first and that's why her scene came during the credits and was a little detached.

But why though? Dana never showed interest in busting ghosts. She's a musician. Has love of art. She worked in fields she enjoyed. Ellen Ripley as a Ghostbuster? Hell yeah! Dana Barrett? Doesn't seem like something she'd have interest in. I'd rather Louis show up because at least that would be a call back

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Ernie Hudson too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

LividLiquid posted:

In many important ways, I think GB2 is even better than the original

Go on...