Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I guess Feig just isn't funny (he is AWFUL whenever he showed up on Joel McHale's Netflix show). He just put up a camera and told the actors to adlib. Occasionally that work, like Hemsworth's interview. But it's usually loving atrocious, like the Dean flipping the bird for 10 minutes.

They must have had little confidence in the script. There's no craft or care like in the original. Look at this thread for all the info on the wonderful score and sets.

The film had a bad director. That's the crux of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Timby posted:

Again, I don't think the issue is that Feig is a bad director. Bridesmaids, Spy, The Heat and Freaks & Geeks should prove that. (And let's face it: If it weren't for Stripes and the first Ghostbusters, Ivan Reitman would be an afterthought in the canon, so let's not say he's a god among men, either.)

I think the issue with GB2016 is that it was a studio-mandated movie that had far too many cooks in the kitchen. Aykroyd himself, for example, is on record as saying that he was constantly giving notes on the script, and Aykroyd lost the plot decades ago.

I enjoyed Bridesmaids and Freaks and Geeks but they're incredibly different beasts to Ghostbusters, as has been stated.

I don't know if the script was the problem. The man wrote Ghostbusters. It was the awful, obvious improvving that sucked the life out of the film.

Yes Ivan Reitman won't go down in the pantheon of best directors, but weirdly enough, he directed the best film ever made.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

sponges posted:

Watch more movies

You don't come into the Ghostbusters thread and say it's not the best movie ever made.

But go on, name your favorite.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

MrJacobs posted:

those are 2 very different things though. The best movie ever made is about as close as you can get to perfection within a film or genre and is universally beloved or at least respected.

But that's Ghostbusters!

Haha yeah I get your point, I should have said "name better movies".

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember the part where they're in jail and Venkman loudly talks about having sex with a possessed Dana, which gets all the prisoners' attention. And then the Ghostbusters start theorising on what's going on while the other prisoners watch. They seem to actually fit in pretty well.

That... Literally doesn't happen. What? He says he likes her because she sleeps above her covers. Four FEET above her covers. She barks, she claws, she drools....

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 3, 2018

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Going to NYC and visiting all the Ghostbusters locations is magical. I always visit the fire station every time in there. And I don't live in the USA.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Does the pole still work?

This place is great! When can we move in? You gotta try this pole!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Not only that, but when Venkman is chewed out by the Dean, it's the only time he doesn't have a come back. Just a deadpan "I see."

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I remember the last thread was really positive about female Egon, but to me she was the worst. Just "wacky" and "crazy", they'd always cut to her during a conversation so she could make a face or do a dance. She was a cartoon. Patty was the most human.

What sucks is that the movie seems to have killed the franchise. I really wanted them to make another one, maybe set that in the 80s. Seth Rogan, Jonah Hill, Danny McBride, something like that but it's all taken seriously and not improv everywhere. I know Danny Mcbride is making the sequel to Halloween, and is supposedly doing a good job. drat you, Feig!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, that would be fun. Yes, do that.

Yes, have some

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

So I landed in NYC today, and I’m staying about 5 blocks from here:

Ha, nice. I always go there if I can. The mortgage "you're never gonna regret this Ray" scene was filmed just across the street if memory serves.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Finally ticked off one of my life goals.

Here’s a unique fixer-upper:

Every time I visit New York (which isn't a lot) I always go there, it's always... Surreal. Love it!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

But I am English and never want to put anyone out or cause a fuss.

Haha me too. I'd never ask to go in, they might be busy

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Oof that Murray cameo was absolutely dreadful. It couldn't be any more obvious he didn't want to be there. Oh now I'm thinking about how Paul Feig is such a bad director again! *insert a 2 minute improv back-and-forth while a third party looks on annoyed here*

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Sometimes a test audience has saved a lovely ending but seriously, that explains so much about Feig. No vision, no confidence, just hire funny actors and let them do whatever they want while he yells "more!" then cashes his million dollar check. The man's a genius

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ghostbusters 2 is perfectly fine, it might actually be just as funny as the first one. It lacks the magic obvs but if you love the first one I can't see how you'd not at least like the sequel. I've worked with better, but not many

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

He said the Titanic just arrived!

Command me lord!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'd love a director's cut of 2!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Probably not that much really. He gets weird with the painting, drives the Ecto 1 badly, then gets momentarily possessed at the end right?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I mean isn't that why we all love Ghostbusters? Dorky teens shooting proton packs and spitting out one liners? Man I wish I was those teens!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ehud posted:

It will be in a small town. The cast will be adolescents who remind you of the stranger things kids. One of them will be related to Dan Akroyd. They’ll work with “uncle Ray” to repair some of the old equipment and fight a local paranormal threat with busted up gear that only works half the time.

Now this I can get into to

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I saw! I can sympathize, and she had the best character, but I don't think we need another movie with those characters

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

GB 2 is surely leagues above the reboot. Like it's not even close

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Oh yeah GB2 is way weirder and scarier than 1. Definitely scarier than the reboot which isn't scary at all I think (of course it's hard to separate nostalgia from genuine criticism).

I was just thinking, it's weird in GB1 that they never bust the library ghost. That's such a classic and obvious beat in a movie, like any other movie would have the Ghostbusters coming back to the library in the montage for payback, but.... Nope. Ghostbusters does a lot of "right" things wrong, but does everything perfectly. It's quite a unique film

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Fart City posted:

This is a cool, normal brain post.

Anyway,

I wonder what the sequel prospects were when GB2016 was in production. The movie ends with a halfassed stinger, but given how taped-together the script was, I wonder if there was even a genuinely sketched out plan for where to go next.

We all know the answer to this

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

You fools, you took his bait, I wondered why there were 40 new posts in the Ghostbusters thread

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Timby posted:

This is one of those things that's become generally accepted to the point that people think Murray was freestyling through most of the movie, but it really isn't true. Lines were shifted here and there on the set (some of Louis' dialogue, for example, when he's doing his tour through his party was changed), but generally speaking, everything in the finished movie was in the final shooting script.

They changed it up a bit in some takes (Egon and Venkman in the "four big ones, four thousand dollars" scene) but all the improv was worked out in rehearsals beforehand, and surprisingly it made the film more cohesive and... better?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

And Holtzman isn't even a character, just a dancing cartoon that pulls faces

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

mmmmalo posted:

Fair enough, still kinda gay

I have a hunch on the second thing. The opening scene has Dana walking her baby past a bunch of angry, aggressive New Yorkers, and in response to all this, the baby carriage just kind of rolls itself into the street. Idk if the baby's supposed to be an honest-to-God psychic or what, but I think the point is that the baby trying to escape all the anger? Like it is sensitive to what it hears and growing up with all the bad vibes will make it evil, hence being susceptible to possession by Vigo, hence the fake-out where the first ghost-busting gig turns out to be a children's birthday party. The kids are 'haunted' with unhappiness.

The movie jokes about Ray getting excited about danger and calling their equipment toys, so I think he's susceptible to possession by Vigo because the movie's calling him a big kid.

All your hunches are bad. I vant you to know this

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I love that pic and still miss Ramis. What a talented, wonderful man

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Crazy Rich Asians was funny. Unless you didn't watch it because you're RACIST

How much did GB2016 make? Was it profitable? Because they're not gonna make a sequel to a movie that bombed, you can't cry sexism

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I wasn't expecting much and it had a slow start, but there are some great characters in there and I love Awkwafina so much

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Great interview, his story about to Coca Cola suits is amazing. And it really is cool to know that he does love Ghostbusters and considers it a great movie (it's the best movie)

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Timby posted:

Did you pirate it? The game was coded to make the candelabras invulnerable if it detected that it was a pirated version. ;)

Haha owned

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Oh no, I never played the PC port. By all accounts, keyboard/mouse didn’t work properly for it because it was made for controllers. But it was graphically superior, so this new remastered version may just be the PC version rejigged for current gem consoles.

So you never played it but called it an absolute wreck? :colbert:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

poo poo I might get Planet Coaster just for that! Is it good?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

My bold prediction is that GB3 will be really good

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

GB16: once you pop, you can't stop!

You get a car, and you get a car!

How do you know it was from the back?

My SIDES

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't want to necessarily defend GB2016's script (really, my only problem with it), but taking lines out of the first two and just posting them would have a similar effect. I mean, I legit laughed at Holtzman and the 'our president is a plant' line near the end. And as much as the constant riffing and over-the-top ridiculousness didn't fit, I have to be honest... I laughed at the whole 'my cat' 'Mike Hat' conversation. It was super dumb, but whatever.

I found GB2016 a fine Paul Feig movie, but just a horrible GB movie.

How many lines from the original are straight up jingles or ads? I count one: it's Miller time! And that's barely a joke.

Holtzman is not a character. She's a cartoon that exists to cut to when you need a quip or a dance move.

I'd agree that Kevin was the best part of the film.

I think Feig is a poo poo director. He's like Kevin Smith if Smith didn't at least write his own stuff. Did you see the "action scenes"? Yikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well there's something you don't hear every day.

Ray has gone bye bye, Egon. What have you got left?