Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Has anyone done a post-mortem on what went wrong with Ghostbusters 2016? I don't mean garbage written by chuds mad that they let girls in the treehouse, but how it ended up being a mediocre movie that kind of just tanked at the box office in spite of seemingly being set up for success in a lot of ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

One of these days I'll get around to watching GB2016

It's basically watching an A grade comedy cast wrestle with a C grade script. It's not terrible, but there are long stretches where it seems like the writers forgot to even try to be funny, and the actors are just trying to power through dialogue that's just sort of there. Nothing is scary even on the level of the librarian ghost scene, nothing is really threatening and nothing seems to matter very much. By the end of the movie the heroes have saved the day, but the characters themselves don't seem that happy about it. I wanted to like it but really struggled to maintain interest.

At least that's my hot take.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Squashing Machine posted:

It's a shotgun approach to joke-writing that speaks less to crafting specific jokes that you know will land and more to just throwing poo poo out there and hoping something works.

My only argument with this is that it doesn't work on the level of a joke-a-second movie like Airplane! or Kentucky Fried Movie, either.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

In GB2016, the universe unjustly punishes the Ghostbusters until they win. In GB1, the universe unjustly punishes everyone else, and that's why it's funny.

This is a good observation, but I think the GB2016 approach could have been decent if the ending felt like a big win. Beating up your heroes until they triumph over adversity is a classic crowd-pleaser, but the audience really needs to feel like finally winning was a big deal emotionally for the characters.

In GB1 it basically ends with big cheering crowds and :slick: I LOVE THIS TOWN :slick: while GB2016 ends with them just sitting around a table in a bar with :geno: faces on going, "That was pretty good, right?"

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

GB2016's moment of... triumph?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Fart City posted:

The tone of GB2016 honestly makes more sense if you view it as a live action reboot of The Real Ghostbusters, rather than the 1984 film. If carries about the same stakes and consequences as a Saturday morning cartoon, while eschewing nearly any real horror elements.

But the again TRGB had The Bogeyman, which was a lot more impactful than anything in GB2016, so it even fails at that.

No GB2016 joke is as good as this IMO:

Peter: Anything that looks like Godzilla wearing an octopus hat shouldn't be hard to find.

It sounds like they're reading the scene directions instead of their lines. They're just narrating everything that's already happening visually.

Sarcastically, I'm in charge.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I could never get the PC version of that game to run worth a poo poo, even though my computer blew the recommended specs out of the water. :mad:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Do kids still ride bikes? I don't see it much anymore.

Trying to imagine a Dutch version of "Kids on bikes find an X" movie.

Directed by Paul Verhoeven. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Marshmallow can't melt steel beams with cores of pure selenium

:science: