Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Saw it over the weekend, liked it a lot. Yeah it leaned extremely heavily on nostalgia and fan pandering but I was okay with all of it. Definitely buying it on 4K when it comes out.

I’m not a huge die hard Ghostbusters fanboy but I liked the 2 original movies and really enjoyed the 2009 videogame, I’m getting GB1 in 4K in the mail today and I’m planning to watch it tonight or tomorrow and see how much I still like it.

A coworker also let me borrow the 2016 GB remake today (which I’ve never seen), he says it’s worth a watch and I’m willing to give it a whirl so who knows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

roffels posted:

I want one of these, but like, once I have it, what do I do with it?
Bust ghosts. Was that a trick question? :raise:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

sigher posted:

The game is awful so that isn't a way to convince someone that busting feels good.
The game rules.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I haven’t tried the remaster yet but I loved the original, the gameplay felt great and busting definitely felt good.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

sigher posted:

My only experience is with the remaster, which according to Steam reviews barely has any extra polish and just a ton of bugs. It really sucks, I wanted to experience the whole thing. Maybe it's a PC thing, though I don't know if it got a release on other platforms.
I've got the remaster version on PC, I've been meaning to give it a whirl. I originally played it on Xbox360 and it was a blast.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just watched Ghostbusters 2016 for the first time and I... didn't hate it? I think it helped that I set my expectations at the basement rock bottom bare minimum, I guess? Like it's nowhere near as good as any of the originals and a lot of the dialogue felt ad-libbed into the ground, but I thought the ghosts looked visually cool and interesting, the whole "break the frame" thing with ghost and proton stream stuff was really novel and eye-catching, it had some neat visuals (Rowan's ghosts trapped in the mirrors looking like old-school 3D holograms for example), and the scene where Holtzmann went nuts with the dual proton pistols ruled:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqbT6RVRNsE

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alan_Shore posted:

He can't direct action,
Like I said in my initial post, the bit where Holtzmann breaks out the dual pistols was fantastic. Granted that was a whole 45 seconds but it was still the best part of the movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alan_Shore posted:

That is a cool shot but it's literally just a slow motion shot. It's not an action sequence.
Ehh I think it’s more than just a cool shot, like the camera angle changes repeatedly and stuff happens. It’s a real short sequence, granted.

https://youtu.be/UqbT6RVRNsE

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Counterpoint: it was in fact cool and good

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

I’m not a fan of it on its own. It’s something in the movie because there’s nothing really that interesting happening besides bad quips and dodgy green screen stuff and so when that drops, it’s something kind of okay with a really cool track blaring behind it.

But having watched it on its own out of context it’s really just…yeah kinda lame to me. Especially the fact that the proton streams kill ghosts for some reason.

Such an odd choice.
I didn’t really see it as “killing” the ghost, maybe just sending it back to its ethereal plane or something.

Well except for that mini wood chipper thing, I dunno about that.

Yeah permanently killing a ghost is kind of wack, the more I think about it. I’m going to live with my head-canon that they’re just “banishing” them. I’d say that’s even more humane than trapping them and locking them up in a containment unit with who knows what kind of conditions on the inside. Yeah, that’s what I’m going to tell myself I think.

I liked how the ghosts and proton streams looked in the movie; I don’t care that it’s all CGI green screen added in post, I thought the ghost effects looked rad, the way they glowed and flowed looked more interesting to me than, say, Muncher in Afterlife who was just kind of a translucent blue blob.

Also since I have too much money and not enough common sense, I bought those retro re-release Real Ghostbusters from Walmart. I used to have a lot of Ghostbusters stuff as a kid and my parents got rid of it or whatever, so getting those again (especially the ghost toilet, holy poo poo) is fun.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 2, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Especially egons

For every time you don’t watch Afterlife, I’m going to watch it twice. Doubly so for that action figure two-pack. :colbert:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Not gonna bother me haha. I mean you do you. I just don’t know what you’re gonna do with an army of undead cgi ghouls lol

Turn you into a spore, mold, or fungus (your choice)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ghostbusters knock-off competitors loving things up and making problems worse (or even the converse, developing new tech and being actual competition) are both fantastic ideas for a sequel hook.

I think part of the “problem” with the very premise in the movies is that ghost activity only happens when there’s a larger threat that causes it (Ivo Shandor’s high rise channeling spirits and bringing Gozer, Vigo in the second movie, Shandor’s Gozer shrine in the third, even Shandor’s mandala in the video game) that it makes the Ghostbusters premise as depicted in the movies essentially unsustainable without constant Big Bad Guys causing ghost activity as a byproduct. Afterlife even says there had been no ghost activity for 30 years (because the Ghostbusters stopped the root cause), and that business flat out dried up because of it.

Like the first movie kind of threw it in the audience’s face that there’s a *reason* why all of a sudden there are actual honest to god corporeal ghosts for serious showing up all over specifically New York and nowhere else, when there hadn’t been before.

I don’t know how RGB addressed this, but the movies kind of wrote themselves into a corner.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 6, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

I think the way it's presented in the movies, the big bads like Gozer and Vigo can stir things up to such a degree that you get these massive build-ups of ghost energy that leads to an entire city being overrun with ghosts, but that doesn't mean there's literally NO ghosts when those guys aren't around, just maybe not enough to sustain the type of booming business we saw in the first movie.

So I don't see any reason why there couldn't be a GB movie that is about a ghost situation that was simply created some other way, like by more traditional means(trauma, unfinished business, etc.). It would just mean the Ghostbusters wouldn't be saving an entire city, maybe instead they just save one family or something like that. Not every GB story has to be a huge apocalyptic situation.
The problem is that three times in a row, it has been an apocalyptic situation, and Afterlife full on says there have been no ghosts in 30 years (until it’s an apocalyptic situation again, which evidently happens on a known schedule based on carvings).

Like I agree that future movies or whatever should move away from that, and it’s not hard to retcon, but it is the pattern the movies showed.

For those that have read them, are the comics any good?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like "no ghosts" just means there haven't been any high profile publicly known situations ala a giant marshmallow man walking through downtown NY or a jello mold engulfing a museum or the ghost Titanic showing up to port. It doesn't mean there aren't people out there being spooked by random isolated ghost encounters.
I’d agree if Ray didn’t say they went out of business.

All of this is making me want to rewatch GB2. I rewatched the first one very recently after seeing Afterlife because I bought the 4K of the first movie, but it’s been ages since I watched the sequel.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Not even as trade paperbacks?

Who has the license now?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ghostbusters International, get Chris Hemsworth.

As I write that sentence, even I can’t tell if I’m joking or not.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

You know you’d watch it. Bah Humbug.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So ‘The Frighteners’ meets Spider-Man: Far From Home’? I can dig it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

I hated International. And I didn’t like Chris hemsworth in 2016.
Oh yeah?? For every time you don’t watch this hypothetical movie that doesn’t exist, I’m going to watch it in my mind’s eye twice. :colbert:

I’m not saying it should be MIB International But Ghostbusters (I didn’t see MIB International and I’m not in a hurry to), but Chris Hemsworth has good comedic timing when given the right material and putting him in a foreign “franchised” GB team (or poo poo, even a rival “knock off” team) isn’t a bad idea, and bonus points for instantly getting people riled up for the immediate comparisons to both MIB International and GB2016 right out of the gate before the movie even comes out.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t know why you think watching it more is a slight against me at all lol. I don’t really have any problem with you watching and loving it.

My problem is with the movie and the filmmakers alone.

I’m joking :ssh:

deoju posted:

Get Tessa Thompson instead. :swoon:

poo poo, why not both!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lastdancer posted:

Ghostbusters vs. Beetlejuice

Actually looking at the Sony-owned studios they totally could do a Ghostbusters vs. Boogeyman. Why the hell not
I can do you one better:

https://youtu.be/wfYlTtA7-ks

Skip to 7:15 for the relevant bit (although the whole video is really well done and worth a watch).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Literally nothing about that video was what I expected. Pretty pro-click here.
That’s just part 2, he’s done others:

Part 1:

https://youtu.be/5aF94oZlph8

BATHROOM SPINOFF:

https://youtu.be/ZjtjORHViMs

Slasher movie mash-up:

https://youtu.be/wzOGdOEtvD8

His stuff is really creative and really well done. When I think of the concept of “let’s mash together every movie ever in one big crossover”, I never expected anything as coherent and clean as these. There’s a ton of Easter eggs in the backgrounds, both audio and visual. He put a ton of work into these.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The_Doctor posted:

:toot:

Time to finally back it, I guess.

Goddamnit I'm really tempted to back it at the buzzer. Someone talk me into/out of doing it.

Edit-- I did it. :suicide:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 13, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The_Doctor posted:

One of us, one of us.

Between the proton pack and then the neutrona wand (because it doesn’t make sense to get one without the other) I’m telling myself it’s a ready-to-go cosplay kit right out of the box that’s higher quality and cheaper than anything I’d be able to do myself, with no effort involved. I also got a substantial Christmas bonus so it’s not like I can’t afford it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Open Marriage Night posted:

If it helps you feel better about your purchase, you can always see if your area has a local Ghostbusters chapter that you can do charity events with. I'll definitely be getting a lot of use out of that thing.

I’m looking into the Phoenix Ghostbusters, they’ve got a website and a Facebook page and stuff. Granted I can’t do a whole lot until next year when the pack shows up. Well I can still volunteer, but I don’t get to bust ghosts. :smith:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Everyone posted:

Honestly the least believable plot point to me was the idea that at some point Egon had sex with a female human and got her pregnant.
Speaking as someone with a boss who can be more neurotic and awkward than 10 Egons and yet somehow has two kids, I can absolutely believe Egon tried to start a family

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

You… you don’t have a blu-ray player?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I noticed they had a link that Entertainmrnt Earth is getting a restock on the Hasbro proton wand in like April, while Hasbro Pulse (the official storefront of Hasbro, the actual manufacturer) isn’t getting a restock until December.

Get your poo poo together, Hasbro. I *want* to order direct from you, but when other retailers get your products before you do, it makes it real drat difficult.

Edit-- Honey found a $15-off coupon for Entertainment Earth, making it *cheaper* than Hasbro, loving hilarious.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 27, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m turbo-biased because I worked for Blockbuster Video for the better part of a decade and amassed a huge collection of physical media, but I can’t imagine me not having a blu-ray player. Like I “get” it because streaming and digital media is so ubiquitous nowadays, but popping a disc in the player feels “right” to me when I want to watch a movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alan_Shore posted:

Streaming is good but you cant beat Blu Ray for quality
Maybe I'm just a snob and/or ignorant because I don't stream a lot of stuff if I can avoid it, but is it possible for streaming to match physical media presentation quality? Like is there an internet connection speed where it's indistinguishable, or will physical media always be superior?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Also, they won't suddenly decide to re-color grade or re-edit my copy, or just say "you don't own this anymore" and vanish it.
Speaking out of ignorance, has any of that actually happened? I'm genuinely asking because it's crazy if it did.
If so, have any of the corrections been for the better? Like, a poo poo physical release got fixed by a corrected digital release?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

gregday posted:

So apparently Sony announced a box set including GB1, GB2, and GB:A and Paul Feig is salty about his movie not being included.
Please link this, I can only assume it's funny.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I had no idea he’d sold his channel.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

My neutrona wand I bought online was supposed to ship in December and instead shipped early and is arriving today, I’m pretty stoked :toot: :woop:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Push El Burrito posted:

I hope the next movie is about Vigo showing up and then they have to use a dualsense controller to pilot the Statue of Liberty and break into Freedom Tower.

Which kind didja get?

This:

Shop Ghostbusters Plasma Series Spengler’s Neutrona Wand Premium Collectible Ghostbusters: Afterlife at Hasbro Pulse. https://hasbropulse.com/products/ghostbusters-plasma-series-spengler-s-neutrona-wand-premium-collectible-ghostbusters-afterlife

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The_Doctor posted:

I hope the orange tip is easily removed. :ohdear:

Even if it’s not, I’m confident I can use my miniature paints and paint right over it.
I’m also not sure how much of a “running change” the orange tip will be and if mine will have it, my wand was supposed to ship in like December and instead it shipped this week, so I dunno what batch mine is from.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Push El Burrito posted:

I hope Muncher and Slimer get together.

The gbfans forums has a lot of mods for the different things you can buy so I'm sure they have one to easily get rid of that. A friend of mine is doing a teardown of a pack to put on his wall based off the Afterlife stuff so that'll be fun to see once it's done.

I’ve got the Haslab proton pack on order, I’m definitely looking forward to it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

text me a vag pic posted:

Heck yeah. And it's got the tube. And look at you scrubs with the orange tip. Real OGBs got the silver head.

I just opened mine up and it DOES NOT have an orange tip. I win! :toot:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

gregday posted:

I have a Matty Wand in box if anyone is interested in buying it.

You of all people claiming to have a movie prop is just something I can’t take seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Disco Pope posted:

I'm okay with a new Ghostbusters film, but its a 3 1/2hr docudrama about the ghost that sucks your dick when you sleep in a museum.

I want a ghostbusters movie where the general public has an existential crisis over the fact that, in death, there is a very real chance that you turn into something like Slimer or Muncher for all eternity.