Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't need a proton pack or trap because those things don't actually do anything for real but if it was legally or socially acceptable to get the Ecto-1 siren for my car...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

deoju posted:

I know blue lights are illegal for non-cops in most of the US.

Lights are a no-no here as well but I was talking about the sound.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I can't really see GB2 as a bad movie. Part of it is seeing it so many times uncritically as a kid but honestly the main gripes I have with it is Kurt Fuller taking the place of William Atherton to rehash the mistrust + sidelining of the team before the final battle and the disappearance of Winston. Other than that I enjoy it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

deoju posted:

It was great for their brand recognition. You can't buy that kind of publicity!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

- Peter Venkman, Stay-Puft marketing executive, January 1985

A different Bill Murray.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

OldSenileGuy posted:

I was under the impression the Titanic itself was a ghost. In addition to all the ghost passengers.

Pretty sure it was. Doesn't it have the gigantic hole in the hull?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Memory and conspiracy stuff aside, one of the smart things about the first movie is establishing that the existence of the Ghostbusters is tied to the slow build-up of supernatural activity thanks to Ivo Shandor. Without Shandor there isn't enough to sustain the continued adventures of Ghostbusters. Where GB2 and Frozen Empire break from this is saying no no, we can do sequels, there are a bunch of evil artifacts that will conveniently keep ending up in New York City, don't worry.

I don't know if the cartoon ever explained it (and you can laugh at me wondering) but they obviously dealt with big supernatural stuff all the time and I don't know if we were meant to think that kind of stuff had always been happening or if something changed. Like maybe the events of the 1st movie permanently increased the level of supernatural stuff.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 9, 2024

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They mention in Afterlife that there hasn't been any ghosts sightings for 30 years

Just to be clear, I was wondering if the cartoon ever explained why in the cartoon stuff was always happening. But like SMG said, the cartoon was supposed to be its own continuity and it treated the first movie as an adaptation that existed in the world of the cartoon that the characters saw and didn't particularly like. So it could have been easy to say that in the world of the cartoon, lots of supernatural stuff happening was just always the baseline and movie made things more rare for its own purposes in its story.

In the movie universe, to us, things are clearly rare. Before Frozen Empire because we had two movies related to Shandor and Gozer and one movie with an evil artifact. Now with Frozen Empire and the studio's sequel ambitions, significant events will obviously have to be more frequent I doubt they will ever mention or lampshade this new normal.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 9, 2024

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Are we using the right word here? The 2nd movie never says people forgot or didn't know about the events of 1, but that it was all blamed on the Ghostbusters and we're meant to infer the number of people who know the truth is vanishingly small. If most people assume that the events of 1 were not an interdimensional cross-rip but just a laser lightshow with explosives then yeah eventually people would move on. Stay-Puft only travelled like, a few blocks maybe?

The events of 2 might be harder to explain with the Statue of Liberty but I suppose it could be a new and improved version of the same trick as Stay-Puft especially if they were thought to use hallucinogenic gases on people.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The thing about 9/11 humour is it's taking something intensely serious and grim and making it absurd but the end of Ghostbusters 1 was already there. It would be hard to treat the day's events as serious and grim if a Macy's Day parade balloon somehow broke free and went Godzilla on people. You'd be watching the Chief of Police on TV going "...and once Charlie Brown saw the bus full of Sex & the City tour patrons, he --defying all our preconceived notions of him-- he punted the bus into the East River."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah, I may have said it upthread but the Frozen Empire trailer reminded me of the cartoon for that reason. New York looks well and truly hosed, and I don't mean ghost blowjobs, in a way we haven't seen in the other three movies. Something like the Sandman episode.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LividLiquid posted:

I'm gonna' need all media to stop doing this forever, please and thank you. "That crank peddling conspiracy theories is actually right" was a hell of a lot cuter when conspiracy theories were about aliens landing or loving bigfoot and not goddamn public health and trans people.

But even back then, it was still all about Jews and everybody should've loving known better the whole time.

Especially since Ghostbusters 2 basically did the joke. One of the guests on Venkman's show at the beginning is exactly right about what's to come by the end of the film.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sure but "memory hole" sounds like an event was completely forgotten, not that the cause or people responsible is denied.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In Ghostbusters Afterlife none of the characters under the age of 30 had ever heard of the Ghostbusters, including a kid who was the granddaughter of a Ghostbuster and still had the same surname. There was some chatter on the internet but I guess it was never mentioned at all on TV or referenced in pop culture where a kid might hear about it. "Memoryholed" is an apt phrase for that.

Afterlife maybe but GB2 was part of the same convo.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The thing I struggle to 'get' with these movies, or at least the first one, is why is getting the job considered a hassle? Why were there only 3 guys when Winston joins, despite them being huge celebrities, and he joins from a newspaper ad. Call them the equivalent of exterminators all you want, they were still famous and very busy.

The in-movie reason to me is that they had only just recently put out the ad for help. The first time we see that the job is grinding them down is that very scene when Winston joins.

And there was likely more to the interview process that eliminated other candidates (by their choice or the Ghostbusters') before Peter & Ray happened to walk in when Winston was there and bypass the whole thing because they needed just any random, average person to share the load.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Merkinman posted:

I think the read is that no eye witnesses saw that The Ghostbusters fixed the issue(s). Still a big stretch though.

True for the first one. Can't really ignore the finale of Ghostbusters II, though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mr Hootington posted:

The polish trailer is much better

They gave it a lot more polish.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Basebf555 posted:

He's in it for like half a second

Thank god.

Edit: Oh you meant the trailer, not the movie. Dammit

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Surely that ghoul cab driver in the first movie caused some accidents and killed folks. Otherwise people would have known immediately he wasn't a cab driver.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Season 1 of RGB is truly great. Punched way above its weight as far as Saturday morning cartoons went in the '80s. JMS took the writing assignment seriously.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

As with every Saturday morning cartoon, I mainly just wished that the show would look as good as the theme song sequence.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh my god, yes. The consistent frame rate the detail, the colours... It's so good.

Also, I have to admit, before I even knew why I really really liked the shot of Janine blowing a kiss.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That could have been so cool. The Ring but with a painting and not a television. And many years earlier, obviously.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Basebf555 posted:

They hit a home run by casting that really scary looking guy as Vigo(he also appears in Die Hard and In the Mouth of Madness). Because of course the situation is goofy as hell and no adults watching are really going to be scared by it, but then you cast that guy and it's a super simple way to make sure that any kids watching are gonna have nightmares. And then Von Sydow's voice is just the icing on the cake.

Vigo himself didn't freak me out. If I put the scariest parts from least to most, it'd be Vigo-Ray, Slime Tub, heads on pikes in the subway, and then Eyebeam Janosz in the darkened hallway.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.

For quick reference:

Jesus. Now that would have been terrifying.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I suppose we could be glad that they aren't going with off-putting sex jokes. They would do it by including thirty different versions of the dickless joke. Not even one character has a dick.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Timby posted:

Walter Peck is in Frozen Empire. There is zero chance they don't go for a "dickless" joke.

"Hey, aren't you the guy who's missing a... y'know..." [makes a show of dangling an icicle between the legs]

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TL posted:

I hope Judge Wexler suits up.

Other than Winston being left out, I just love the whole courtroom part from start to finish.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Moldavia is Moldova.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Timby posted:

Moldavia is a region. Moldova is a country.

Moldavia was also a country and I was trying to stick up for Ragnar not being wrong but I will take the L because I had thought most of Moldavia in Vigo's time was present-day Moldova but too much of old Moldavia territory now belongs to Romania that without specifics from Vigo I can't just assume the two are synonymous.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The final version is basically Vlad but originally he was more Rasputin-ish and lived in the present day in New York under an assumed name. The baby was his girlfriend's, not Dana's. And it was he who animated the Statue of Liberty to chase after them. As he became more like the Vigo of the final movie, there used to be lines in drafts where each of the Ghostbusters referenced different sadistic tyrants throughout history, with Venkman mentioning Steinbrenner.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Basebf555 posted:

The question is whether or not that version of Vigo would've included a minion like Yanosh. Because if it meant not having MacNicol's performance in the movie that would not be a worthwhile trade.

It's pretty much one or the other, yeah. As Vigo went from an active, present, character to a mostly stationary painting the minion character appeared, though it wasn't Janosz at first.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Look, I've heard a bunch of stuff about the original GB2, but not much of this. Whoa.

Is this the script that had "Jason" in it, which is likely now Janosz?

Janosz exists because they split the villain into two. Before Janosz appears in scripts, it was all Jason Locke who was actually "Jalmar Litvinov" who was also Vigo the Carpathian, who basically did everything in the movie himself. He could command the baby to try and come to him (a similar scene to the Janosz Ghost Nanny one but without Janosz Ghost Nanny), he was in the courtroom when the Scoleri brothers appeared, and he attacks Venkman at one point with a big showy telekinetic blast.

He was this Tsarist-era Russian Eastern Orthodox wizard whacko who was so old because he made himself part of a magical painting that he could go into and out of. But he didn't look his age. The whole thing with the baby is that in the present day it was his baby that he had with a woman who would eventually be rewritten to be Dana, and he was a creepy ex-boyfriend.

The reason Lady Liberty was originally involved is because there's stuff about how Locke first immigrated to New York, so she wasn't a beacon of good vibes for the city but a symbol of immigration. A lot of the "New York City is a cesspool of anger and hate" is in there but it manifests as bugs and earthquakes, there's no slime at all, and none of it really ends up amounting to much other than as clues for the Ghostbusters to follow. The real ending of the movie really ties things together much better because in this early draft all they do is supercharge their proton packs to attack the Statue of Liberty in basically the same scene as them roasting Mr. Stay Puft, but successful this time.

One of the big, potentially funny things in hindsight is that in the actual movie the Mayor jokes that he's not about to tell New Yorkers to be nice to each other which is kind of a meta-reference to this old script because in this draft the Ghostbusters use Venkman's TV show to do exactly that, so you have these scenes of New Yorkers about to fly off the handle at each other but threatened by sudden tremors they get scared and act super fake nice to one another.

Edit: didn't realize how much of a wall of text this appears as when on mobile so I split it up a bit

Lobok fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 6, 2024

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This is incredible and I need to know more. Is the full script out there?

Also, is this the version that Bill Murray signed on for?

I could look up the timing but I think so, given how close to production it is.

https://www.spookcentral.tk/sclib/ghostbusters-ii-scripts
It's the August 1988 one there, listed first.

Edit: not sure if this is truly warranted but Trigger Warning for the part of the script with Venkman's TV show at the beginning because there's this really unfortunate line where he's kind of a rape/SA apologist? The typical what-were-you-wearing line. I know Venkman's a prick but I'm not sure if Ramis and Aykroyd know where the line is before he becomes an actual skeev.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 6, 2024

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder if they got as far as discussing casting options, because obviously von Homburg wouldn't have been up to that sort of expanded role. Hell, maybe they would've just gone with von Sydow for the whole thing in that case.

Yes, the casting possibilities are the most interesting part because he would not have looked at all like our eventual Vigo. He would have been some handsome, dark featured guy who could conceivably be old school Russian.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah the whole thing with Vigo being in the painting until the end means that in both movies we have the big bad only showing up because The Ritual Has Been Completed just before they get defeated (which IIRC they did again in Afterlife?). Would have been interesting to have the main bad guy actually around and interacting with everyone throughout the course of the film.

Also that script answers the question of why Egon suddenly has a new toy in the movie because the draft script has him going into more of the theoretical physics of supernatural energy and how to measure it. He wasn't working on moods, he was working as an actual physics prof and did ghostly physics studying on the side, secretly. Even as a kid I wondered why they added a second device other than the PKE meter.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

On the one hand... huh?

But on the other, at least it sounds like they'll stop abusing a dead guy to act in their films. To answer the question posed on The Atlantic cover in the first movie's montage, Ghosts Do Not Have Rights, I guess.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Could have saved some money and filmed at Aykroyd's place.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The really sad/unhealthy reality here seems to be that older people have formed parasocial relationships with media characters because they don't have real friends or that their current life isn't fufilling in some vital way.

Kind of dark, and I agree insofar as stuff like Ready Player One can't exist without that but I think we also need to assume it's the writers and filmmakers and producers assuming that they can't make an appealing sequel without the lovely trifecta of putting the past up on a pedal, explaining and linking everything, and retreading/calling back as much as possible.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Guy A. Person posted:

There's legitimately a lot of reasons you might stash a bottle of booze that aren't exclusively "I'm ashamed to drink in front of my coworkers":

- you were hiding something top shelf from the other alkies
- Dana came in and you didn't want her to know you were drinking on the job
- bills were due and you didn't want to be chewed out for buying booze while money was tight
- alternatively, cash was flowing but you remember a time when it wasn't so you squirrel stuff away just in case the bad times come again

There's only one reason why any Ghostbuster is hiding food and drink around the firehouse. Slimer.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

deoju posted:

That doctor is Bryan Doyle Murray, one of Bill's brothers. He's also in Caddy Shack.

And Groundhog Day.

He's not in Scrooged but Joel Murray and John Murray are, where weirdly only one of them plays Bill's brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gnome de plume posted:

"Choose the form of your destructor!"

*Giant disembodied foot appears*

"Ray, what did you do?"

"Nobody steps on a church in my town without also stepping on me!"