Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Tin Star, by Allen Gies, is another one of the many Choose Your Own Adventure games in the Choice of Games catalogue. In this case, it's one of the Hosted Games, a selection of entirely user-generated games put out there to sink or swim on their own merits. Previous Hosted Games that have been LP'd include Life of a Wizard and Life of a Mobster.

If you haven't seen any of these before, these are basically Choose Your Own Adventure RPGs. You make decisions about what your character does, and you can cultivate various skills and abilities which determine how things play out. For the purposes of the LP whenever we get to a choice the thread gets to vote on it (usually in bold), but for expediency I may gloss over some things and/or have the thread vote on a batch of choices at once.

Tin Star specifically is a Western story set in the frontier during the late 1860s, a few years after Civil War. You probably know what to expect in a land of outlaws and gunfights. It's one of my personal favorites of the CoG catalogue since it's a pretty drat beefy game with a lot of branching paths, varied choices and some pretty dramatically different ways it can play out, including some fun out-of-the-way stuff you really have to explore to get to. No Spoilers for the first play-through at least.

If you're interested in playing along, you can get from Choice of Games' website, or buy it on Steam, Google Play, Amazon or Apple's Store.

With that said, let the adventure begin...

quote:

Tin Star

by Allen Gies

Dawn creeps steadily towards the sleepy city of San Francisco. A host of ships lie at anchor with their sails furled as they bob in the bay. You turn from the ocean view as you reach the top of the stairs and find white tufts of wooly sheep drifting up the lush green hillsides to the east.

Sunlight slowly broaches the uncluttered mountains until a golden sheen illuminates a crown of glory against an endless blue sky.

Down below, the creak of metal rimmed wheels rises up as the city awakens to a chorus of horses and carts. A hint of rain hangs heavy in the air and promises to wash every corner of the sprawling expanse clean.

A fine morning, or it would be if not for the impatient whisk of a hangman's noose.

quote:

"The crime is murder and the sentence is hanging by the neck until dead; the execution to be carried out this day, April 23rd, 1867," a stiff-shirted deputy intones as the noose is slipped around your neck. The lawman's pepper-box pistol remains holstered but his fingers keep seeking the grip because he knows as well as you that desperate people do desperate things.

At the far corner of the platform waits an ominous figure: a hangman in a flat black leather hood that refuses to shift in the early morning breeze. His hard eyes are fixed upon you and his hand stays poised atop a simple lever. Beneath you the trapdoor gives out a low groan as if in morbid anticipation. The creak of rawhide about your wrists echoes that sentiment all too readily.

A terrible stillness settles in. This is it. The end. As if hearing that very thought, a black-clad priest steps close with bible in hand.

"My child, you stand upon the final threshold," the priest asks with a profound gentleness. The clerical collar about his neck is crisp, white and, relatively speaking, tight about his throat. "Will you renounce Satan in all his guises?"

1. Say nothing.
2. "I am innocent."
3. "Father, I have been wrongfully convicted. The prosecution didn't even present prima-facia evidence!"
4. "Yes, I do. Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name…"
5. Struggle against my bonds.
6. "All due respect, Padre, now's not the time for making enemies."

This could be a very short trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
This is one of my favorite CYOAs of all time. Glad someone's showing it off here. Best of luck.

The last response, #6, is just so badass I can't help but pick it again.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I feel like if there is an opportunity to put our character on the path to kicking rear end for the Lord, it should be taken. So I'll pick #4.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I'm addicted to lawyering through a combination of Choice of the Deathless and Ace Attorney, so #3: complain about the prosecution's lack of evidence.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Objection, Father (#3)! The prosecution refused to follow the evidence to find the true culprit.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
#6, 'cos it seems we're gonna be needing all the help we can get.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

achtungnight posted:

The last response, #6, is just so badass I can't help but pick it again.

Also I love the implication that we're saying "If I'm about to die, I don't wanna piss off Satan," with the concordant assumption that pissing off God is already a foregone conclusion.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
I'm assuming that last one is for 6 as well, breaking the three-way tie. Let's make some new friends below.

quote:

"All due respect, Padre, now's not the time for making enemies."

The Priest blinks hard. The bible closes with a snap and he backs away.

The Hangman coughs out a chuckle then pulls the lever.

quote:

It is a short drop followed by a long slide. The noose never snaps although you strain in vain against that moment.

At last you tumble to a halt amid a dusty cellar. At the far end a hint of morning light leaks in around a simple door and silhouettes a man in tidy grays that match his thinning hair and broad mustache. Upon his chest rests a simple tin star that marks him as the only law in most parts of California: A marshal. He leans against a timbered wall as though he hadn't a care in the world. An ivory inlaid pistol is holstered at his hip and a rather large knife balances out the low rig.

The man idly watches as you lurch to your feet and doesn't raise an eyebrow when you pull the noose off. That length of rope snakes down to the ground at your feet and only then does your full breath return.

The Stranger's voice is edged with a dark humor as he begins to speak, "I heard you with the priest. Quite the tongue on you, and that might just save your neck. I'm Marshal James and there's a need in the territories for stalwart folk who'll wear a badge and get things done. Folks like you."

1. "You've perked my interest. Go on."
2. "You could have just asked me first."
3. "No, I ain't wearing no tin star."
4. "This has been quite a trial of faith. I would be remiss if I declined."
5. "If this means I'll be able to practice medicine again then sign me up."
6. "If I can resume being both a Doctor and a Lawyer, fine."
7. "Speaking of tongues, you've got a forked one there yourself."

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

If we're going to play the heretic priest, then by all means, your forked tongue intrigues me, Stranger.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
White man speak with forked tongue!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
#7 "Why hello there mister Cypher."

Are these choices defining our background? Like, if we pick #5 we are a doctor but if we pick #6 we're a doctor and a lawyer, and if we pick something else we're neither of those?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
The consensus is overwhelming. Time to banter, let's see what happens...

quote:

"Speaking of tongues, you've got a forked one there yourself."

"If things were other than they are, you'd be swinging in the morning sun," the Marshal notes calmly as he ceases to lean against the wall and calmly unholsters his pistol. "Let me lay it all out."

The barrel of the pistol is a cold, dark thing to stare down as the Marshal talks, "You don't want this? Well, to be honest neither do I. But there's a county, Lander County, in trouble out in Nevada and every marshal I've sent there has come back in a pine box or not at all. You want your life back? You'll get it after you survive four winters out there as Marshal. Don't like those odds? Too bad. They're what I'm offering right now. Take them years working in Lander county or six rounds to the chest. If you live through either of those, you can go on your way."

1. "Fine. I'll do it."
2. "I'd rather take the six. At least that'd be faster.
3. Reluctantly nod.
4. Shake head firmly.
5. "I shall place my faith in the Almighty and accept this earthly charge."
6. "I cannot in good conscience go against the laws of God in such a manner."
7. "There has to be a law against this!"
8. "Do I get to choose where the rounds go? As it turns out, the body can survive quite a bit."

He doesn't seem to be amused.

The_White_Crane posted:

Are these choices defining our background? Like, if we pick #5 we are a doctor but if we pick #6 we're a doctor and a lawyer, and if we pick something else we're neither of those?

There are many choices in the opening section that let you determine things about your character, some with more concrete results than others. I'll explain more later.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The game wouldn't kill us off before we even get started, would it?

#8, keep bantering.

We are a smart aleck cowboy, folks.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

"My friend, my tribe has taught me that there are places in the body that are less lethal than others."

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
#8 please.
Let's see how much of our wit it'll take to get us shot.

Edit: Also

quote:

the Marshal notes calmly as he ceases to lean against the wall and calmly unholsters his pistol

Grade A prose right there. :rolleyes:

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 19, 2018

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
8. "Do I get to choose where the rounds go? As it turns out, the body can survive quite a bit."

If we don't find out we're a robot and this is all a fantasy world where we rise up AND DESTROY ALL HUMANS I am going to be disappointed.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Comstar posted:

If we don't find out we're a robot and this is all a fantasy world where we rise up AND DESTROY ALL HUMANS I am going to be disappointed.

Amen! Bonus points if our name is Shooting Irons and we never find out how we got built. (Referencing a Radioactive Man villain from The Simpsons- a robot cowboy from 1869 who got dug up by archeologists and went on a rampage which ended when he got zapped with a time portal gun that sent him back to 1869- but wait, then how’d he get built in the first place?)

Or if we do die and go with a completely different character next round, that’s fine too!

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Time to push our luck some more with the strange gun-wielding law-man.

quote:

"Do I get to choose where the rounds go? As it turns out, the body can survive quite a bit."

"No, Doc, you don't get to choose that. So, what's it going to be?" Marshal James asks.

1. "Then shoot me."
2. "Fine. I'll wear your tin star."

What's it going to be?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I’ll wear your Tin Star under duress.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
Guess I'll Die Then

I love this game soooo much and want us to die in the dumbest way

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Well, if I have no other choice..."

We'll have plenty of other opportunities to die in ridiculous ways. Let's not start with this way.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

"Sure, toss me that there bottle cap."

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

achtungnight posted:

I’ll wear your Tin Star under duress.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
The goon mind looks death in the eye, then turns away and mumbles an apology.

quote:

"Fine. I'll wear your tin star."

The soft scrape of boots is heard from the scaffolding above. A steady whisk of an all too familiar rope being coiled up follows hard on its heels.

Marshal James settles back by a narrow seam of sunlight that flickers through a warp in the wall and gives you a little nod, "Glad we understand each other. I might seem a mite hard, and I am, but I ain't flickin' my whip solely on account of needing a tin star out in Lander County. You remember who you killed? That deed what got you here?"

1. "I did not kill that man."
2. "I did not kill that woman."
3. "I killed that man only because he would have killed me first."
4. "I killed that woman only because she would have killed me first."
5. "Yeah, I remember that guy."
6. "Yeah, I recall that gal."

But how'd we get here to begin with?

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
I did not kill that woman. I just happened to have sex with her right before she died. It happens.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Yeah, we remember. He had it coming.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
3. "He was coming right for me, I had no choice!"

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

I did not kill that woman. The evidence was falsified.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Going with #6 here. I like the idea of us being guilty but it being a bit complicated in ways we don't necessarily want to talk about with someone we just met (and yeah, those complications might should have come up in court, but too late to worry about that now).

Going with female victim because gender generally doesn't make much difference in CoG games while it makes things more interesting IRL.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Kind of a tie between killing or not killing a woman, but we also had more votes for murder in general, so let's go with that and keep things going along.

quote:

"Yeah, I recall that gal."

"Murder will do that. Fixes a face in the mind and not just yours either. All the kin and every friend that woman had will be looking to shimmy in a little revenge by tooth or claw. Everything you hold dear is in peril unless someone intervenes."

1. "I take it that 'someone' means you."
2. "Why, aren't you just chock full of charity."
3. "What exactly are you offering here?"
4. Just let him talk.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
#2 seems in keeping with our attitude.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
2. "Why, aren't you just chock full of charity."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Yeah, #2. We are full-on smartwit.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Being a smartass continues to be our thing.

quote:

"Why, aren't you just chock full of charity."

"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. You might find a coil of rope waiting for you," the Marshal says pointedly.

The sun continues to rise and the day has nearly breached the last of the night. Little bars of sunlight continue to spill through the cracks in the walls until the shadows between begin to retreat.

"Now, you are going to have to leave the state. Heck, you are going to have to leave behind your former life. But I've made special arrangements concerning that," the Marshal promises as clear as the coming day. "What you leave behind will be kept safe. Now, you might be inclined to think that I'm holding hostage, and I expect you'd be half right. This way I can be sure you won't just run off into the wild and because of that you won't be sleeping atop old Boot Hill come nightfall. So, why don't you tell me what exactly I'll be looking after of yours here in California?"

1. "Family, of course."
2. "A good friend."
3. "A nice bit of land."
4. "My medical practice."
5. "My legal practice for doctors."
6. "My hospital for lawyers."

So, what's at stake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat