Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I know nothing about horses so just going with the most exotic one... 5. rare slate gray Grulla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
We bet on the Bay in the Camptown Races and used our winnings to buy his freedom. Doo dah, doo dah!

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Buckskin

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Avalerion posted:

I know nothing about horses so just going with the most exotic one... 5. rare slate gray Grulla.

....I think we just took a part Zebra??

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Only the rarest of rides for this Marshal!

quote:

I find it hard not to smile at my steed; a rare slate gray Grulla that bears the faintest hint of zebra striping along the legs.

As you wait for things to clear up, the bearded man in the rusty red shirt slips a halter over the head of your steed and begins to guide it down the ramp... right past you into the camp; taking your horse with him.

1. "Hey, that's my horse!"
2. "What do you think you're doing?"
3. Pull my pistol and drill the bastard.

For however long we have it, I suppose.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
1. "Hey, that's my horse!" I mean, maybe it was an honest mistake?

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

3. Pull my pistol and drill the bastard.

Horse theft is a hangin' crime, might as well cut out the middle man.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
That’s my horse! Warning before shooting seems a good idea here.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

2 seems appropriate here; I can't imagine they don't know it's not their horse.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
#2. "What the gently caress are you trying to pull here?"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Bold Kobold posted:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

The Bold Kobold posted:

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

The Bold Kobold posted:

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Hey there beardo, what's going on?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
We choose to ask questions before murdering anyone.

quote:

"What do you think you're doing?" (+1 Persuasion)

"Setting my brother's horse out to pasture. Why?" the bearded man asks as he turns in confusion.

At the sound of your voice, your slate-gray Grulla flicks an ear your way and nickers eagerly. The man in the red shirt blinks in astonishment as the steed tugs at the halter and strains to reach your side.

"You got apples in your pockets Miss?" he wonders and watches as your steed noses up to you with evident familiarity. "My mistake. This here horse looked just like the one my brother wrote me about."

1. "Understandable. Until you get to know a horse, a particular horse, they often look alike."
2. "That means your horse must still be inside the rail-car."
3. Just nod.

It seems to have calmed things down.

Dav
Nov 6, 2009
Ah, you thought it was your brother’s horse. Which is a horse that exists. And can be seen. In the train car.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

And we just picked the most exotic looking horse of the bunch too. 3. Just nod.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Let's try not to drag this conversation out too long and just nod.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
2. "That means your horse must still be inside the rail-car." So get the hell away from my zebra.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

2. Lets see how deep this horse hole go

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Your horse must still be in the rail car. Btw, I looked on Wikipedia and a Grullla is a dun gray horse breed mostly from Spain and Iceland. They have zebra stripes on their legs sometimes but do not require actual zebras to breed. But I guess we can keep calling it a zebra if we like. :)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

2. Let's warm up as a marshal by catching this horse-thief. Via clever deduction.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Comstar posted:

2. "That means your horse must still be inside the rail-car." So get the hell away from my zebra.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

3. :hai:

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Comstar posted:

This is my zebra. Get your own.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Time to solve this mystery!

quote:

"That means your horse must still be inside the rail-car."

"Guess it is," he admits belatedly. "I'm Denny, Denny Baso; Lead drover for the Central Pacific camp here."

Denny holds out a grubby hand

1. Shake his hand.
2. Decline.
3. Let him take my hand.

It's deductive reasoning skills like this that make us the best marshal in Nevada.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Well, he did acknowledge we were right. We'll shake his hand.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Be polite, no reason not to. Shake hands.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

1. We're drat well going to give him the hands.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

No cracks about my man hands please.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

All in all no harm done, so shake his hand.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
No real objections to behaving like civilized beings so let's move on.

quote:

Denny gives your hand a gentle shake and looks you in the eye, "Good to meet you, ah, Miss. Sorry about the mix and all."

(Honor slightly increased) (+2 Honor)

The clatter of the camp continues. Men amble too and fro. The scent of baked beans wafts in from somewhere close by. A hint of dry dust lingers in the air.

"So, you traveling? You look like you're traveling," Denny asks as he finishes shaking your hand.

1. "Yes, I'm traveling east."
2. "On horseback, apparently. How long until the trains are running through the tunnel up ahead?"
3. "What exactly do you do around here?"
4. "Can I ask about the Chinese?"
5. "I hate to impose, but do you know the best way through the mountains ahead?"
6. "You wouldn't happen to have a spare map, would you?"

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
#2. Ask about the train tunnel and don’t let him forget it’s our horse.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

achtungnight posted:

#2. Ask about the train tunnel and don’t let him forget it’s our horse.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

6. Have a map?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
4. because it seems like a total non-sequitur, and I expect the answer to be "Oh, the people digging the tunnel? They're basically slaves. You don't have a problem with that, right?" and then we can choose to have a problem with it.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
3. "What exactly do you do around here?". Apart from attempting to steal my zebra.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Opinions are mixed, but fortunately this is basically a dialogue tree. Everybody wins!

quote:

"On horseback, apparently. How long until the trains are running through the tunnel up ahead?"

Denny grimaces at the question, "Don't know. The celestials in there are blasting their hearts out. Well, drilling and blasting; three shifts a day, every day but Sunday. From what I've heard, they're measuring the gains in feet. We may be here through the winter and then some."

"What exactly do you do around here?"

"I'm the lead drover. That means I look after the animals here. Sheep and cattle mostly. Oh, horses too, and mules. A few chickens too where we've got room," he explains, "not as much fun as prospecting, but then I don't have to tighten my belt when I don't find any nuggets."

"Can I ask about the Chinese?"

"Sure, they're from China—but I guess you knew that already," Denny says and scratches his head a moment. "They're tidy and…I like them. I mean, as people. I mean, they're people like you, except I've really only met men. Not that I haven't wanted to meet a…I'm screwing this down to the nuts aren't I?"

1. "You weren't doing too badly."
2. "I swear I can taste iron filings."
3. Just smile.

He tried.

quote:

"You wouldn't happen to have a spare map, would you?"

"Map?" Denny asks mostly to himself, "Of course," he bobs his head agreeably then belatedly offers his arm, "if you'd walk with me a little bit, we'll visit the map-maker."

It is indeed just a short stroll over to one of the tents. After a brief conversation with a cartographer who is all mustache and smiles as the two present to you a full roll of a map that depicts everything from ridges to rivers and forts to fords.

As you examine the paper Denny glances down at the revolver riding at your hip.

"That's quite a piece," he notes. Then his eyes widen in sudden realization. "The gun. I meant the gun, Miss."

1. Let the sun glint off my mighty Colt Walker forty-four.

quote:

The Colt Walker is an older smoke-wagon but it shoots as far and hits as hard as a rifle but without all the fuss of a long arm. Reliable too, just so long as you don't load up anywhere near sixty grains of powder because then the packing lever will flick down and jam the cylinder, or worse bust it wide open.
-Distance is not important in a gunfight. I would have a different weapon.
-I need a gun that is also a rifle and that gun is the Colt Walker forty-four. It is always by my side.
2. Let the shadows play along my Remington 'New Model' forty-four.

quote:

The Remington is a long draw of iron, lethal in purpose. Easy to swap out whole cylinders too, which is a good thing because sometimes you need to shave down the bullets to get them to fit in the chamber.
-I want something less fussy for my weapon.
-Penetration is important and the Remington 'New Model' forty-four certainly gives that. It is the gun I always have by my side.

3. Tap the engraved cylinder of my Colt thirty-six Navy Revolver.

quote:

The Navy Revolver is of a smaller caliber than most handguns, but this one is engraved with the victory laurels of the second Texas Navy; Campeche. The gun has more history than most people.
-I don't need so pretty a weapon. I'd have a different one.
-This Navy Revolver is a piece of history and it is always by my side.
4. Finger the grip of my little nickel thirty-two.

quote:

The pocket pistol is small enough to slip into a coat and carry it without much notice unlike other irons. The pistol may only have five shots but the action is smooth and that can count for far more in a fight.
-I want something more powerful. I'll choose a different weapon.
-Concealing my weapon is important. This pistol will always be with me.
5. Tap my Smith and Wesson Model 1, a twenty-two caliber pistol that uses the new rim-fire cartridges.

quote:

A little pistol but one that fires the most modern of rounds called rim-fire cartridges. No loose powder and bullet, and no need to pack it all in together. Reloading can be done in seconds.
-I want something more powerful. I'll choose a different weapon.
-Easy reloading is a good thing. This is the weapon that is always by my side.

Five different choices for our trusty pistol, each with its own unique trait. Fortunately, the game lets you inspect each one and you can always go back to reconsider before you settle on something. What gun best suits Marshal Shen Ruolan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

4. A concealable weapon means we can literally always have it with us.