Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Every game has those actions you repeat too many times that don't really need to be there but fill time between the more interesting parts. A sliding tile puzzle or a room full of basic bad guys that you could take out with one hand, basically the same idea. It stands out in adventure games more because there's really only two things, moving and puzzling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Aw heck I missed out on most of the thread. I've been enjoying the videos, never even heard of this game before you started LPing it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Separated, betrayed, and only hours away from civil war erupting in Meruza; things seem bleak for our party....until things start to look less bleak and we curve hard into Metal Gear even more.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Aw heck I missed out on most of the thread. I've been enjoying the videos, never even heard of this game before you started LPing it.
I live and work in the shadows, I'm impossible to find on here without my semi-racist moniker.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

While I can appreciate when adventure games try to throw in HIGH-OCTANE ACTION PUZZLE SOLVING, even when it comes with time limits, a boss fight is a bit much to work with point and click mechanics.

discworld is all I read posted:

Separated, betrayed, and only hours away from civil war erupting in Meruza; things seem bleak for our party....until things start to look less bleak and we curve hard into Metal Gear even more.

I live and work in the shadows, I'm impossible to find on here without my semi-racist moniker.

It's true. It took me some time before I figured it out.

I suppose the heroic sacrifice is the most appropriately dramatic way for Steve to go out, assuming the game doesn't throw in a swerve. Maybe Steve is a double secret agent.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I think my superpower is missing threads I want to follow, actually. 🤔 Buuut there are worse problems to have. Like Pachamama's.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Just started watching the video, and you calling Katoh the Japanese Spider-Man and also that the game's going Metal Gear... Am I going to see at least one Giant Robot by the end of the episode?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Lopez is even pulling a Liquid Snake and refusing to die.

Thanks for this LP, I heard about this game a while ago and its interesting to see.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
That boss fight was silly looking as hell.

Please be OK Steve...

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
Why does the base alarm sound like an apathetic man trying to to an imitation of an alarm? At first I thought you were doing a goofy voice-over to replace an annoying background sound, but apparently that is what the developers chose.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Delvio posted:

Why does the base alarm sound like an apathetic man trying to to an imitation of an alarm? At first I thought you were doing a goofy voice-over to replace an annoying background sound, but apparently that is what the developers chose.

It is a goofy voice-over replacing an an annoying background sound, not sure why you think that's actually in the game.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

It's a very little known fact that the developers attempted to get John Williams to contribute in some way to the soundtrack for the game, but John felt the entire thing was below him. Still the developers cornered him in a dark alley and he acquiesced to their demands, but ol' sneaky John had the final laugh. His only addition to the game came in the form of one single audio track simply labeled 'alarm.wav' and the world was never the same...

VVVVVV
;) I'm glad you got the reference

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 4, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

discworld is all I read posted:

It's a very little known fact that the developers attempted to get John Williams to contribute in some way to the soundtrack for the game, but John felt the entire thing was below him. Still the developers cornered him in a dark alley and he acquiesced to their demands, but ol' sneaky John had the final laugh. His only addition to the game came in the form of one single audio track simply labeled 'alarm.wav' and the world was never the same...
Kenji Eno made this game?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

And with that, our South American adventure has come to an end and my first real attempt at making 'good' subtitles and 'translating'. Was it a good adventure game? Kind of...it was short and sweet, and interesting to a degree but it also had problems with pacing and repetition and being a bit boiler plate in regards to it's plot. It's mostly interesting to look at in regards to the timing it was released and the relative obscurity and I'm happy that I was able to show it off. Hopefully you guys dug it as well and maybe if I stop being lazy and scared I could maybe LP 'Mizzurna Falls' (though right now I'm also pounding my way through Fatal Frame 5 to get an LP ready for that).

In the mean time, if you're interested in seeing more lesser known, Japanese only PS1 games I did a stream LP of an FMV game called 'Alive' and it was a bizarre ride which someone was nice enough in the comments to translate what was going on.

Part 1: Alive with live commentary
Part 2: Still Alive (though I can't say the police are fairing as well)
Part 3: Alive behind the wheel
Part 4: Alive with smocks
Part 5: Alive...or dead (Schrodinger's Atsuko)
Part 6: Alive with explanations

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Never mind, Steve bumbling in, complaining, and then randomly saving the day is much better.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

That was a good LP and they game ended just before it started to wear out its welcome. I'm a bit disappointed that the airplane bombing was just dropped after a while especially since they bring up Lopez's innocent family being killed in a terror attack.

Looking forward to finally seeing the end of the fatal frame series when you get around to it.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Thank you for the LP. Glad Steve made it through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
I was really impressed they had Spanish voice acting as well as English. I enjoyed the overall plot, too; the setup seemed somewhat realistic, even if Katoh was clearly adding huge embellishments on how they survived.

Thanks for LPing this game. :)

I hope Fatal Frame 5 is good; I know you burned out on your first attempt through Fatal Frame 4, and it definitely was lacking the tight coherence/plot of the previous games. Looking forward to you guiding us through the game!

• Locked thread