Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok so I often connect between TWO separate blue tooth speakers, and one of them is used by more than one person

I have to go into GOD drat SETTINGS, on the iphone, and click connect.

anyone noticed on the wee pop up screen you can hold down on the music bit and select which speaker to use? yes this works well if your speaker is already connected BUT WHERE THE gently caress IS THE OPTION TO GO RECONNECT TO A SPEAKER YOUVE CONNECTED TO A DOZEN TIMES BUT ARE NOT CURRENTLY CONNECTED TO?

you have to go into SETTINGS like a computer janitor

also my ipad and connecting to my iphone for tethering REQUIRES YOU GO INTO SETTINGS

SETTINGS is the kind of app you should go into very rarely.. ideally never once things are the way they should be

making a new folder in windows 10 IS HARDER THAN IT USED TO BE and the lack of identify in the icons makes this difficult I always imagine what my dad would do if he watned to create a folder and ya know what he probably wouldnt and just save everything in the same downloads folder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

you writing good posts, op. that one currently seems impossible

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i reckon.. entirelyl possible just requires someone to care about something for once

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

:qq:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ldap

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

you seem upset that the settings icon is called settings

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

smtp

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

lol agreed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

you seem upset that the settings icon is called settings

there is a good place for these things and that isn’t settings

well it can be in settings i don’t care about that, i just also want to be able to do it easily

every time i have to open settings just to do something basic, rather than change a setting for example, i feel anger and then fear

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I literally think this exact thing like three times a day

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
It used to be that you always had to go into settings, but now they added the little button you can click from the control-panel or whatever it is called, but it only has apple things on there and no 3rd party stuff.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
your mom, op

edit:

er,
oops, I though this was things that couldn't be easier thread, my bad

angry_keebler fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 18, 2018

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
smtp and ldap aren't anywhere near as bad as snmp

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

smtp and ldap aren't anywhere near as bad as snmp

true

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

It used to be that you always had to go into settings, but now they added the little button you can click from the control-panel or whatever it is called, but it only has apple things on there and no 3rd party stuff.

it only helps ya select between stuff that is currently selected, but no option to try to find new connections, especially to things it’s connected to in the past

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

echinopsis posted:

it only helps ya select between stuff that is currently selected, but no option to try to find new connections, especially to things it’s connected to in the past

Yeah exactly, the list in setting should be the same as the list in the control center. It’s so dumb.

Also you can only set iTunes as your default music player so whenever I get in the car I have to manually open Spotify like a dweeb

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Much in the same vein as the OP, changing your sound output device in Win 10 is too many steps. I should just be able to right-click the little speaker and choose it there but oh no I have to right-click then go into sound settings, and THEN I can change it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
settings is something you should access to change something in a indefinite fashion

not something you should actually end up opening multiple times per week if you live a normal life where you visit multiple friends and have to change wifi and bluetooth

its wrong. if you think its ok.. I wonder what is wrong with you? sure its hardly life destroying, but why argue devils advocate for it. argue for UI advancement, not ludditism

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
like windows settings is a bit of a mess now coz it still ends up opening legacy poo poo for when you really need to change something BUT it gets a pass because in reality you barely ever need to go in there

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

It's a very microsoft way of fixing a problem

Control Panel / Settings is a confusing mess? Let's just remove all the customization options!

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

one thing that could be a lot easier: removing our chains

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

r u ready to WALK posted:

It's a very microsoft way of fixing a problem

Control Panel / Settings is a confusing mess? Let's just remove all the customization options!

each windows version modernized about half of it

another iteration, another half of the control panel modernized, but that half wasn't chosen with the previous modernizations in mind, so in win10 there's still some poo poo you have to fix with xp style dialogs and other stuff you'll never find clicking through menus, so hope when you search for whatever you're after that there aren't a bunch of similarly named apps on the bing store or whatever the gently caress it's called

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I was just commenting to someone 2 days ago that the windows UI is a total mess for doing anything.

It's like 3 different look-and-feels and it's a crapshoot on which one you're going to get. Then you have weird "links" (which is the worst way to navigate a native UI) that are ambiguous, like "Change settings..." and "Configure devices..." and sometimes both of them open the same window but just on different tabs. I can never find what I'm looking for.

Also I love that clicking the same link multiple times will open multiple dialog boxes. Really cool to have the same sound device settings open 4 times because you lost focus.

The windows UI is just total trash. They need to just re-do it.

At least they finally updated the font installation dialog.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

you want to run a program

press start button

the app is on it now, but you're used to typing it so you start typing the name of the app

the app loving disappears, as the start button goes blank and a mostly naked video game woman begins building an index of the entire library of congress

once the index is finished, the top-level result is the option to search bing for the thing you typed

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

wifi grinding to a halt when stepping outside but still demanding a connection instead of just switching to mobile data

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Cat Face Joe posted:

wifi grinding to a halt when stepping outside but still demanding a connection instead of just switching to mobile data

yeah it’s bad

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

flakeloaf posted:

you want to run a program

press start button

the app is on it now, but you're used to typing it so you start typing the name of the app

the app loving disappears, as the start button goes blank and a mostly naked video game woman begins building an index of the entire library of congress

once the index is finished, the top-level result is the option to search bing for the thing you typed

gently caress i thought i had some weird cortana option set wrong that was doing this, but it seems like the start menu search just doesnt work at all for anyone, huh?

then again, my windows computer isnt for any real work, its just a glorified console

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you don't disable the indexer then search works fine.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
taking screenshots of a single window is absolutely horrible in windows 10. They have "Snap" which is a standalone application that requires like 4 mouse clicks to take a screenshot.

The keyboard shortcut only does the entire visible area, and the "single window" keyboard shortcut uploads it to Microsoft drive or something, that we don't have.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Also I love that clicking the same link multiple times will open multiple dialog boxes. Really cool to have the same sound device settings open 4 times because you lost focus.

I've had really good results with Adderol XR and a standard in the afternoon as-needed?

:shrug:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Stereotype posted:

taking screenshots of a single window is absolutely horrible in windows 10. They have "Snap" which is a standalone application that requires like 4 mouse clicks to take a screenshot.

The keyboard shortcut only does the entire visible area, and the "single window" keyboard shortcut uploads it to Microsoft drive or something, that we don't have.

windows is absolute trash and has no redeeming value

see also

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

not using a computer ever again.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Stereotype posted:

print screen for the whole desktop and alt+printscreen for a window.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Shaggar posted:

hey, cool. :waycool:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

That just copies it to the clipboard at which point I have to open up some other program, paste it in, then save it through that program.

The wind+prntscreen full window will save to “pictures” automatically with a timestamp, and wind+alt+prntscrn does literally nothing.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i usually paste it from the clipboard into whatever im gonna use to send it ex: teams, mail, imgur.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

i usually paste it from the clipboard into whatever im gonna use to send it ex: teams, mail, imgur.

can ya paste it directly into imgur

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

if there's one thing that truely separates windows (caveman, shits self, shunned) from MacOs (divine, beautiful aesthetic, rapturous), it's the screen capture functionality

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
taking screenshots is not a core os functionality. it should be (and is!) handled by third party applications

there's plenty of good reasons to hate on windows, "it doesn't do screenshots like macs" is not one of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Roosevelt posted:

if there's one thing that truely separates windows (caveman, shits self, shunned) from MacOs (divine, beautiful aesthetic, rapturous), it's the screen capture functionality

yah

Suspicious posted:

taking screenshots is not a core os functionality. it should be (and is!) handled by third party applications

there's plenty of good reasons to hate on windows, "it doesn't do screenshots like macs" is not one of them

mmm no peg

• Locked thread