Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

food ordering place i worked at people would just order delivery and expense it. we used stripe, which im sure has test ccns or whatever, but why bother when you can eat lunch every day on the company?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
so i do want to point out here that stripe actively prevents you from using browser automation in their sandbox environment, and i have asked a support rep about this and they have zero plans to change this and it's not an incidental bug but an intentional thing

the way this surfaces is with an iframe breakout so it depends on the testing tool (tldr cypress is hosed, playwright/selenium you might be ok)

it's really hosed up and preventing us from doing true e2e testing of payment flows beyond regular card checkout (e.g. weird european payment types), and if we update to a newer version of the stripe sdk we probably won't be able to test regular card checkout flow that way either and we're now scrambling and considering options like trying to back out of the cypress cloud contract we just signed so we can go try to roll our own poo poo on playwright, it's stupid as gently caress!

i only point this out to say... even the """good""" card processors are hosed up

(if you are curious about this you can google cypress and stripe; there's like a million workarounds to the iframe bust that fall apart depending on which scenarios you try to test and like seven open issues on the cypress github project around this, and cypress has repeatedly tried and failed to add a thing that will inject a stripe sdk monkey patch to avoid this problem)

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 30, 2024

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

imo use whatever the one is where the dude gets really mad on github

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
idk if it's still true but it used to be the case that venmo didn't have any kind of a test network so their engineers' transaction feeds would be full of them sending money back and forth to their coworkers with messages like "test" "trying again" "hope this works"

Private Speech posted:

lmao the UK bit of the company that I work for merged with an acquired US company and one of the questions was "is there going to be any pay alignment between UK and the US since our devs are now split half and half and work together"

the answer was, verbatim, "that ain't never gonna happen"

I mean fair enough but it's pretty funny, at least to me

tbh i find blunt corporate honesty far preferable to songs and dances that redirect blame back to the workers

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Someone just reminded me of this post

simble
May 11, 2004

life… finds a way

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
awful programming opinion: you know, I think we went too far in the direction of making sure every magic value is declared as a constant

why does this SQL that's used by exactly one query method need to be declared as a constant way at the top of the file??

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

CPColin posted:

awful programming opinion: you know, I think we went too far in the direction of making sure every magic value is declared as a constant

why does this SQL that's used by exactly one query method need to be declared as a constant way at the top of the file??

My tech lead will declare every log message as a function at the top of the file, so instead of having e.g.

code:

LOG(INFO) << "connecting to " << db_address << ", attempt number " << attempt_number;

We have

code:

LOG(INFO) << DatabaseConnectionMessage(db_address, attempt_number);

As far as I can tell, there's no benefit to this; it just adds an extra step when you want to figure out what line the logs are coming from, and makes it easier for the surrounding code and the log message to get out of sync

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

this king is going to localize your log messages

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Antigravitas posted:

Someone just reminded me of this post

lmao i totally forgot about this

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

necrotic posted:

my two questions if you did go with non-test e2e billing tests (with refunding) are 1) which cc are you testing with and 2) how’s that going to look to fraud departments?

use the boss's card

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Subjunctive posted:

this king is going to localize your log messages

first thing i thought of too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible