Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

pokeyman posted:

the whole awful.app posting flow needs reworking, it is janky as gently caress

tbf its an app on a phone, so it sucks but its less painful than website which is a plus. mad props etc

but i cant figure out how to zoom a posted picture without "unpinching". or are goons just posting links instead now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

images don’t zoom for me reliably either. have to do the firm tap just so

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

have to hold longer than you think. no, longer than that

if this baby shower this afternoon doesn’t go forever I plan to try to figure that out again (and hopefully not get lost in VisionKit or whatever again)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Carthag Tuek posted:

"pregenerated_posts" is a bit clunky. any better ideas?

pregenerated_posts is an excellent name for a property containing pregenerated posts

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
"oh no having descriptive names is cringy, like enterprise java framework class names"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Wheany posted:

"oh no having descriptive names is cringy, like enterprise java framework class names"

I feel like the designers of rust believe this unironically

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
The idiomatic Go variable name would be p

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

The Fool posted:

I feel like the designers of rust believe this unironically

they're just metalang weenies. ml was an academic project by real mathematicians so obviously their variable names are absolute dog poo poo

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they're just metalang weenies. ml was an academic project by real mathematicians so obviously their variable names are absolute dog poo poo

turns out the metal in metalang was iron

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

lmao the UK bit of the company that I work for merged with an acquired US company and one of the questions was "is there going to be any pay alignment between UK and the US since our devs are now split half and half and work together"

the answer was, verbatim, "that ain't never gonna happen"

I mean fair enough but it's pretty funny, at least to me

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

there was another question, if anyone can move to the US

the answer was "no"

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
sounds like it might if they said “ain’t never”.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Using double negatives around programmers seems like a dangerous game to play, tbh.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

i think they were trying to sound jovial about it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

they’ll equalize UK and US pay…to Philippines rates

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Or just cherry pick a region of US & UK, like Fargo and Bangor.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

The Fool posted:

awful app does this on the last word if there is s "pending" correction in ios

google hangouts on ios used to apply autocorrect to the last word when you hit "send" (same behavior as imessage) but they changed it in chat so now all my hangouts messages end with typos

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Plank Walker posted:

but they changed it in chat so now all my hangouts messages end with typos

better than sending with a word you didn't intend

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
yeah... sort of... like the keyboard will show the correction highlighted and every other app behavior is to replace it when you hit space or return, so i got used to relying on that

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

https://www.tomshardware.com/tech-i...o-be-fraudulent

quote:

"We stand behind our performance claims and are excited for consumers to get their hands on Snapdragon X Elite and X Plus devices soon.”

Absolutely nothing is going to change with fact checking or even remote cynicism on fantastical claims, at least it’s being tested post announcement:

quote:

After OEMs got their hands on the X Series chips, SemiAccurate claims no OEM has been able to replicate Qualcomm's touted test numbers. In fact, the site reports OEMs first saw numbers "far sub-50%" of the numbers Qualcomm claimed.

It would be funny if Qualcomm are nitrogen cooling and overclocking beyond 6Ghz, but Occam’s razor clearly pointing at bad testing.

For those not aware of the humble advertising,

quote:

Snapdragon X Plus features the state-of-the-art Qualcomm Oryon™ CPU, a custom-integrated processor that delivers up to 37% faster CPU performance compared to competitors, while consuming up to 54% less power

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releases/2024/04/qualcomm-continues-to-disrupt-the-pc-industry-with-the-addition-

ie ARM64 running faster than Intel i9, Apple M3, and AMD Ryzen 9, with “days” of battery life.

:okpos:

More realistic numbers of 16%, of Snapdragon to M3, which is pretty much a rounding error and not great leap for almost 3 quarters trailing release.

https://wccftech.com/snapdragon-x-elite-tested-in-surface-laptop-6-high-multi-core-score/

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 25, 2024

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I'm shocked that a processor manufacturer would cheat on benchmarks

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
What is the endgame for Qualcomm here? Did they hope that not a single independent reviewer on earth would run benchmarks themselves to verify their numbers???

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they probably dont care. theres probably so many inter-company management promises going around that the only thing that matters is the thing launches by the deadline so everyone gets their bonuses. whether anyone buys the product doesnt matter, just so long as they hit their deadline.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lmao i wrote a half dozen small java class files in intellij then closed and reopened it and it had helpfully replaced the contents of all of them with one line of the form "package lmao;class SucksToBeYouIdiot {}" ayfkm with this poo poo?

edit: yeah idk my install is hosed somehow, I hit Save and none of my changes appear in the filesystem even though intellij remembers them.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 26, 2024

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
we have a web app. it's a pretty straightforward web store type of thing that we customize for different clients. there are no unit tests and no integration tests and naturally it's all tightly coupled spaghetti code. there have been some regressions with recent changes so my boss says we need tests. his solution: something like cypress or selenium running through the checkout process. when i asked if we were just testing the frontend the response was "no, the whole app". ok whatever, it might be difficult to mock things like payment processors and db connections out of the backend for testing...

that's not what he means either. he wants us to run actual credit card transactions with a real card in automated tests. what about the charges? naturally we write another test for the refund page :psyduck:

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Does your processor not have test env + cards to use to test transaction flows??

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
we do for some stuff but there are other things that go through a third-party before they get to the real payment processor (long story that's just as dumb as everything else) and those don't work with anything but a real card

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Joe Chip posted:

we do for some stuff but there are other things that go through a third-party before they get to the real payment processor (long story that's just as dumb as everything else) and those don't work with anything but a real card

“if” you can make those full coverage tests fast and reliable they are the best kind. there isn’t like a CAP theorem for tests that says you can’t have it all.

still a big “if” tho

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Joe Chip posted:

... does the third party not have a test environment?

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
i asked a similar question my first week here a few months ago. the "test" environment is actually their dev/staging server and not only is it frequently down it can behave completely different from day to day as changes are pushed. once i found out why all their api paths started with WS_* i was less surprised

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Joe Chip posted:

we have a web app. it's a pretty straightforward web store type of thing that we customize for different clients. there are no unit tests and no integration tests and naturally it's all tightly coupled spaghetti code. there have been some regressions with recent changes so my boss says we need tests. his solution: something like cypress or selenium running through the checkout process. when i asked if we were just testing the frontend the response was "no, the whole app". ok whatever, it might be difficult to mock things like payment processors and db connections out of the backend for testing...

that's not what he means either. he wants us to run actual credit card transactions with a real card in automated tests. what about the charges? naturally we write another test for the refund page :psyduck:

belize is looking pretty good these days, my friend

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
fwiw I think your boss has the right idea. if i had the option between choosing having unit tests or integration tests like the one your boss is proposing, i’ll take the integration ones every day of the week.

we do something similar at my job, where we are every 10 minutes or so doing “black box” end to end (in so much as it is possible) testing of our product in production. our product going down could be hugely impactful to the integrity of the business, so we want an immediate phone call if it’s ever broken.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
i’ve never done it at the level of UI though, because our UI being down is much less scary to the business than the core backend functionality being down. that may not be the case for you though

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah we have alerts on spikes of traffic to our status page and support search/connections

E2E testing is fine, and often necessary, as a backstop but pretty much every time one of them finds an issue I feel like it’s pointing out either a missing class of unit tests or a bad architectural decision that should be remedied

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
assuming you don’t want to test interactions with payment providers can’t you have a test only promotional code that gives 100% discount. Which would bypass needing to get paid. Make sure to not have that active in prod, or do :anarchists:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Aren’t there specifically test credit card numbers for this very thing?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, OP said that one of the systems they work with doesn’t support them (which is insane, I thought the card networks would crush you if you didn’t support that)

time to find a big-boy supplier for whatever that poo poo is, not that OP probably gets a choice

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
my two questions if you did go with non-test e2e billing tests (with refunding) are 1) which cc are you testing with and 2) how’s that going to look to fraud departments?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have trouble believing your processor doesn't have test numbers and customer data. Did your coworker tell you that or does the system really not have test numbers you can use. I'd suspect you talked to the wrong person/people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

also just move to Shopify