Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGFZD93I4ZM

lmao get rekt nicky

anyway nicholas ii was a garbage ruler and the revolution did substantially raise the standard of living because imperial russia was that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

wrecked

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

anyway there are twitter accounts that are going through WWI and the russian revolution in real time and there are a lot of monarchist bootlickers in the replies.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Instant Sunrise posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGFZD93I4ZM

lmao get rekt nicky

anyway nicholas ii was a garbage ruler and the revolution did substantially raise the standard of living because imperial russia was that bad.

it really was op

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

it's like he set out to start a revolution

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lawman 0 posted:

the autocracy is back and richer than ever so who really won the russian revolution :smugbert:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Al! posted:

the autocracy is back and richer than ever so who really won the russian revolution :smugbert:

zyuganov would have won

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

did you know some local nerd found the remains in 1979, reburied them and told nobody for 10 years

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
What I'm about to say is 100% unironic:

It takes real guts to execute the whole rear end family and spare you countrymen from years of plight and insecurity.

Reminds me of the brave Mexicans who executed Maximilian even though he was kind of a harmless nerd.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Lawman 0 posted:

Small brain: the serfs were mad they were starving
Galaxy brain: the czar was a false flag

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

does anyone remember that disney movie Anastasia? i was thinking about rewatching it to just see how counter-historical it was and how much it fellates the aristocracy in russia

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Condiv posted:

does anyone remember that disney movie Anastasia? i was thinking about rewatching it to just see how counter-historical it was and how much it fellates the aristocracy in russia

Not a disney movie but yeah.

I don't even think Nicky is really in the movie that much but it really pushes the idea that they were innocently manipulated by Rasputin, who is a Literal Demon/Necromancer in the movie.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

ferroque posted:

Not a disney movie but yeah.

I don't even think Nicky is really in the movie that much but it really pushes the idea that they were innocently manipulated by Rasputin, who is a Literal Demon/Necromancer in the movie.

tired:

wired:

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Yeah it's weird, from what I remember, even though the movie is set in WWI Russia they barely mention the war or the much of the royal family at all. It's pretty much just a fairytale with the setting being an incredibly loose framing for the story.

Unfortunately that is all most people in the West have been exposed to about the Romanovs. It doesn't help that they've been sainted by the Orthodox church, people assume they were innocent victims of circumstance instead of the horrible war criminals they really were.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

yeah a lot of cold-war whitewashing tends to erase the fact that nicky 2 was insanely anti-semitic or that he abolished russia’s kinda-sorta-parliament that was established after the 1905 revolution.

so you end up with this “uwu nicholas 2 did nothing wrong” attitude that persists today.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Instant Sunrise posted:

yeah a lot of cold-war whitewashing tends to erase the fact that nicky 2 was insanely anti-semitic or that he abolished russia’s kinda-sorta-parliament that was established after the 1905 revolution.

so you end up with this “uwu nicholas 2 did nothing wrong” attitude that persists today.

A lot of people forget that republican france loaned the russian government over 2 billion francs to cover the costs of putting down the revolution. This is a big reason why nicholas was able to regain power and abolish the duma.

This pissed off a lot of french leftists who thought it hypocritical to prop up a tyrannical authoritarian regime solely to protect the french from the threat of germany.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

anyway lurkers i’d suggest “october” by china miéville as a good introductory overview of the russian revolution.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Instant Sunrise posted:

And that he was literally a divine-right absolutist, which got masked at times by just how bad he was at his job.

Instant Sunrise posted:

anyway lurkers i’d suggest “october” by china miéville as a good introductory overview of the russian revolution.

A longer but still worth reading book would be Robert Massie's "Nicholas and Alexandra," which is at times a little too sympathetic for my tastes but still tells the story well enough without devolving into hagiography.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
anyone got a good song about it, preferably from the time of the events

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

A longer but still worth reading book would be Robert Massie's "Nicholas and Alexandra," which is at times a little too sympathetic for my tastes but still tells the story well enough without devolving into hagiography.

Was this the one that got made into a movie? I remember it being pretty good, especially the guy who played Witte.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/romanovs100/status/1018963769781817344

the replies are gold

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

rest in piss

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

anyone got a good song about it, preferably from the time of the events
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8EMx7Y16Vo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Frijolero posted:

What I'm about to say is 100% unironic:

It takes real guts to execute the whole rear end family and spare you countrymen from years of plight and insecurity.

Reminds me of the brave Mexicans who executed Maximilian even though he was kind of a harmless nerd.

it didn’t really take guts, they were just afraid that they’d be taken by the Whites. the Bolsheviks even kept the executions secret until 1925.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
good op. i'm glad

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

ferroque posted:

A lot of people forget that republican france loaned the russian government over 2 billion francs to cover the costs of putting down the revolution. This is a big reason why nicholas was able to regain power and abolish the duma.

This pissed off a lot of french leftists who thought it hypocritical to prop up a tyrannical authoritarian regime solely to protect the french from the threat of germany.

ironically it did protect France and ended up setting a left wing government in Russia 2 decades later :v:

also death to monarchs

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

https://twitter.com/Tackle_Talk/status/1019210728660758528

Holy poo poo.

Piss (on their graves).

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
*makes finger guns and ratatat sound effects*

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

really queer Christmas posted:

also death to monarchs
but ... national dignity :qq:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Gazpacho posted:

but ... national dignity :qq:

which royals are those

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
romanovs, maybe a few relatives from eastern europe thrown in?

Gazpacho has issued a correction as of 21:12 on Jul 17, 2018

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
really you need to shoot them once and let the hemophilia carry the weight

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Nicky is funny as poo poo because his uncle was a modernist who wanted to help harden the state to ward off famines and empower some of the lower classes while curbing the excesses of the nobility to help prevent peasant uprisings but he died of small pox or some poo poo so nicky's dumb failson father just got on the throne and was like "u know I think the serfs have it too well" and rolled back reforms so Nicky isn't just a failson he was the failson of a failson

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Instant Sunrise posted:

the replies are gold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M_5oYU-IsU&t=134s

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Agean90 posted:

Nicky is funny as poo poo because his uncle was a modernist who wanted to help harden the state to ward off famines and empower some of the lower classes while curbing the excesses of the nobility to help prevent peasant uprisings but he died of small pox or some poo poo so nicky's dumb failson father just got on the throne and was like "u know I think the serfs have it too well" and rolled back reforms so Nicky isn't just a failson he was the failson of a failson

grandfather not uncle, tsar alexander ii, and he got blown up by a bomb courtesy of the People's Will anarchist group--two really, one that damaged his carriage and killed some of his cossack bodyguards, then a second thrown at the tsar's feet after he and his surviving guards disembarked. died a mangled wreck in abject agony at the st. petersburg palace. nicky's father alex iii was the dumb failson who rolled back such liberal reforms as alex ii hadn't gone back on already, waged the disastrous & pathetic russo-japanese war, etc.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

grandfather not uncle, tsar alexander ii, and he got blown up by a bomb courtesy of the People's Will anarchist group--two really, one that damaged his carriage and killed some of his cossack bodyguards, then a second thrown at the tsar's feet after he and his surviving guards disembarked. died a mangled wreck in abject agony at the st. petersburg palace. nicky's father alex iii was the dumb failson who rolled back such liberal reforms as alex ii hadn't gone back on already, waged the disastrous & pathetic russo-japanese war, etc.

Hereditary system doesnt seen a very good way to pick governments, weird

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
"But Stalin was bad" I continue to insist as I shrink and transform into a feudal peasant

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

ferroque posted:

Was this the one that got made into a movie? I remember it being pretty good, especially the guy who played Witte.

They made a film version of it in the seventies if I remember right, and Massie released a followup in the mid-nineties when he had had access to the Soviet archives made available to westerners for that tantalizingly short window following the collapse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
im glad they no longer exist OP

• Locked thread