Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
:owned:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
none of this would've happened if napoleon had kept to his three-year plan for the russian war

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

ferroque posted:

Not a disney movie but yeah.

I don't even think Nicky is really in the movie that much but it really pushes the idea that they were innocently manipulated by Rasputin, who is a Literal Demon/Necromancer in the movie.

rasputin was a secret communist sorcerer who manipulated events to guarantee that the revolution would occur. he feared that the tzar would be so incompetent as to fail even at being an absolute failure of a monarch.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

grandfather not uncle, tsar alexander ii, and he got blown up by a bomb courtesy of the People's Will anarchist group
very much the jfk assassination of its day

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

jBrereton posted:

very much the jfk assassination of its day

i still cry when i think about it :qq:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

grandfather not uncle, tsar alexander ii, and he got blown up by a bomb courtesy of the People's Will anarchist group--two really, one that damaged his carriage and killed some of his cossack bodyguards, then a second thrown at the tsar's feet after he and his surviving guards disembarked. died a mangled wreck in abject agony at the st. petersburg palace. nicky's father alex iii was the dumb failson who rolled back such liberal reforms as alex ii hadn't gone back on already, waged the disastrous & pathetic russo-japanese war, etc.

failed son of a failed son

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huXNdLQt_bk

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
https://twitter.com/theeconomist/status/822926264285753344

this take has aged incredibly well.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://twitter.com/TrumpdaFraud/status/822929929977237504

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Kerensky was Russian Hillary

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I got a bunch of downvotes on Reddit for endorsing revolutionary justice for the Romanovs. history communities on Reddit are just awful

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Frog Act posted:

I got a bunch of downvotes on Reddit for endorsing revolutionary justice for the Romanovs. history communities on Reddit are just awful

I like ask an historian or whatever it’s called but it’s also heavily moderated

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Shark Sandwich posted:

I like ask an historian or whatever it’s called but it’s also heavily moderated

what ya wanna know

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Didn't Lenin have to keep moving the royal family around since a lot of the guys guarding them wanted to kill them outright? Nicholas could've abdicated but nooooo. Too bad divine right isn't bulletproof, I'm sure some people missed having Cossacks rape and kill them.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Watching Americans flip from 'watering the tree of liberty with the blood of tyrants' to 'ugu royal wedding' is the weirdest loving thing.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

rudatron posted:

Watching Americans flip from 'watering the tree of liberty with the blood of tyrants' to 'ugu royal wedding' is the weirdest loving thing.

Temporarily inconvenienced noblemen.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

byob historian posted:

what ya wanna know

oh I just meant it’s decently moderated so it’s not wehraboos jacking off to Panthers

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

rudatron posted:

They don't actually see the royal family in its correct context, to Americans (and braindead Canadians) the royals fall under the umbrella of generic celebrity worship.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

lmao

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

phasmid posted:

Didn't Lenin have to keep moving the royal family around since a lot of the guys guarding them wanted to kill them outright? Nicholas could've abdicated but nooooo. Too bad divine right isn't bulletproof, I'm sure some people missed having Cossacks rape and kill them.

Nicky did abdicate. he was basically in citzens arrest because of his crimes but the whites wanted to reimpose the tsar rule, hence the moving them around and eventual execution.

which was good

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

really queer Christmas posted:

Nicky did abdicate. he was basically in citzens arrest because of his crimes but the whites wanted to reimpose the tsar rule, hence the moving them around and eventual execution.

which was good

Yeah one of the straw was that his named heir, Grand Duke Michael, saw which way the wind was blowing and refused to accept the crown unless an elected body of some sort offered it (presumably a reformed Duma under the auspices of the provisional government), while the Ispolkom wouldn't accept the alternative of the tsarevich for obvious reasons.

Captain_Maclaine has issued a correction as of 01:06 on Jul 18, 2018

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

really queer Christmas posted:

which was good

Hey, no argument here.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Kurtofan posted:

anyone got a good song about it, preferably from the time of the events

also a heavy-metal style animated music video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZqVOFSYRWI

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

phasmid posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_II_of_Russia#Abdication_(1917)

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
only one european emperor worth the vivat

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
still waiting for lin-manuel miranda to drop his hip hop musical about lenin

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lin-Manuel's latest musical "BYRD!" has taken Broadway by storm, a rapturous tribute on one of the greatest Democratic senators.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Napoleon... hell, he was good.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Not good enough to avoid getting owned by the Romanovs.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Its pretty funny that the cheat codes for earth is living in a frozen wasteland and telling lies all the time

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
puyi was arguably a worse person and got a better deal

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Instant Sunrise posted:

anyway lurkers i’d suggest “october” by china miéville as a good introductory overview of the russian revolution.

yeah it was good, had so many weird parallels to the modern world too
like I could not help but think of weakass 'satire' like the daily show or smug cofveve memes in the section about liberal and moderate protest of the czar murdering serfs. They hosted swanky feasts where they'd give scathing and witty 'ironic' toasts to the czar
dude also had every chance to abdicate or make reforms before it was too late

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I was wondering the other day how the Soviets saw him

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Feldegast42 posted:

idk but that reminded me of the story about how there's a guestbook from the museum at borodino with an entry from a soviet officer in 1941- purpose of visit: "to defend the battlefield"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

lol Goddamn

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/sophia_tha_red/status/1019057448412467204?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Feldegast42 posted:

The Soviet attitude toward him was usually tied up in residual Russian nationalism and pride in defeating the Grand Army, which became all the more acute when Stalin started lionizing Suvorov and Kutuzov during the great patriotic war.

• Locked thread