Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Khrushchev wept when he read of Everett's many-worlds interpretation, and when his comrades inquired what ailed him, "Is it not worthy of tears," he said, "that, when the number of worlds is infinite, we have not yet killed even all the royals of this one"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

StashAugustine posted:

i feel like a) we're wandering back and forth between putting too much emphasis on personal responsibility and not enough and b) losing sight of the point of this thread which is sic semper tyrannis bitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGFZD93I4ZM

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

If anything the more recent American wars were more morally executed than the previous ones because they started out as naked imperialism, genocide, and ethnic cleansing, and moved to a comparatively much more human brutal total war. Well at least until you get into the modern days endless police actions. I'm not sure what the gently caress to call that but I'd say it's worse than war with a goal in mind

I'd say a war which has the possibility of ever ending is more moral than the idiotic forever wars we're in now

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
My God, can you stop arguing about ethics and just enjoy dead totalitarian dictators

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Typo posted:

imperial russia 1900s had modern day chinese rates of economic growth and industrialization until the civil war blew it all up

ww1 blew it all up you idiot

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

By early 1917, Russia was on the verge of total and utter collapse. The army had taken 15 million men from the farms and food prices had soared. An egg cost four times what it had in 1914, butter five times as much. The severe winter dealt the railways, overburdened by emergency shipments of coal and supplies, the final blow.

Russia began the war with 20,000 locomotives; by 1917, 9,000 were in service, while the number of serviceable railway wagons had dwindled from half a million to 170,000. In February 1917, 1,200 locomotives burst their boilers and nearly 60,000 wagons were immobilised. In Petrograd, supplies of flour and fuel had all but disappeared.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I guess the Bolsheviks just weren't putting the 3 million dead from WW1 in the right perspective.

Venom Snake posted:

ww1 blew it all up you idiot

WWI killed 3 million and was fought mostly on russia's peripheries so the heartland wasn't touched, the russian civil war killed 17 million and absolutely devastated the russian heartland

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Typo posted:

WWI killed 3 million and was fought mostly on russia's peripheries so the heartland wasn't touched, the russian civil war killed 17 million and absolutely devastated the russian heartland

It had nevertheless totally destroyed the Russian economy (among other things) and thus any illusory industrial progress of the earlier 20th century was, at best, a moot point.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It had nevertheless totally destroyed the Russian economy (among other things) and thus any illusory industrial progress of the earlier 20th century was, at best, a moot point.

no it didn't, there were transportation issues and shortage of consumer goods but the physical infrastructure and factories/farms etc was still there, they would have bounced back if the war ended in 1917-18 without a civil war afterwards

it's the difference between the great depression and having armies of millions of men destroying everything in your country

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Typo posted:

no it didn't, there were transportation issues and shortage of consumer goods but the physical infrastructure and factories/farms etc was still there, they would have bounced back if the war ended in 1917-18 without a civil war afterwards

drat those are some weasel words right there

"Consumer goods" such as food and fuel

"Transportation issues" such as the incredibly vital rail network being decimated and reduced to less than half it's pre-war load

Yeah I'm sure they could have just walked that off with that loving moron still in absolute power dragging them back every step of the way

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
So a civil war is the same as a war against another nation? Good to know.

Death to tyrants.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's all the more remarkable then that the Soviets became one of the most powerful industrialized countries on the planet so soon after complete economic ruin.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Typo posted:

it's the difference between the great depression and having armies of millions of men destroying everything in your country

This is so staggering a misunderstanding of the state of the Russian economy and crisis at the time of the revolution that I have to question exactly where you're getting this poo poo.

And "bounced back if the war had ended?" That's some grade-A counterfactual bullshit right there.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXEVFDdUA1E

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Business Gorillas posted:

Small brain: the serfs were mad they were starving
Galaxy brain: the czar was a false flag

The czar was the deepest cover Marxist of all time

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Khrushchev wept when he read of Everett's many-worlds interpretation, and when his comrades inquired what ailed him, "Is it not worthy of tears," he said, "that, when the number of worlds is infinite, we have not yet killed even all the royals of this one"

If this isn't real then I loving hate you

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Hostess Snack Cake posted:

If this isn't real then I loving hate you
Well, Kruschev might have decided to paraphrase Alexander, who knows. It could be real.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

boy this guy sure has a fetish for failed ethnostates. i see a confederate flag and a rhodesian flag behind him.

:thunk:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Instant Sunrise posted:

boy this guy sure has a fetish for failed ethnostates. i see a confederate flag and a rhodesian flag behind him.

uh youre forgetting the skyrim map

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

the south belongs to the southrons

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
is there a good book showing what a dumb loving goober nicky was. on the kids. i was sad but probably necessary. nicky hosed them, he should have just fled or dissolved the monarchy.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

another failed ethnostate

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

another failed ethnostate

yeah, gently caress ulfric.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Question, since people are using the word in this thread: Why's everyone suddenly talking about ethnostates now? Is it just the hip new way to say nation state, but with a more negative connotation?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Question, since people are using the word in this thread: Why's everyone suddenly talking about ethnostates now? Is it just the hip new way to say nation state, but with a more negative connotation?

A nation enhabited entirely one ethnicity, in other words what white supremacists want

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Agean90 posted:

A nation enhabited entirely one ethnicity, in other words what white supremacists want
So basically a more extreme version of a nation state, not being content to merely have the state built around the nation; instead, the territory of the state must only contain people of that nation? Alright, I suppose it goes pretty well with the name ethnic cleansing, so it's not a terrible choice of name all things considered - and it makes sense, given the state of modern politics, that there'd be a demand for an expanded vocabulary on this front.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

A Buttery Pastry posted:

So basically a more extreme version of a nation state, not being content to merely have the state built around the nation; instead, the territory of the state must only contain people of that nation? Alright, I suppose it goes pretty well with the name ethnic cleansing, so it's not a terrible choice of name all things considered - and it makes sense, given the state of modern politics, that there'd be a demand for an expanded vocabulary on this front.

see also: israel
by the way, this is the number one reason neonazis are fine with the existence of israel because it both codifies the successful ethnostate and keeps all the jews in their own little country separate from everyone else

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

not really but sure

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Typo posted:

imperial russia 1900s had modern day chinese rates of economic growth and industrialization until the civil war blew it all up

loving lmao

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Typo posted:

Is more popular among the working class in Britain than actual Communists are

this one of the worst posts ive ever seen what the gently caress hahaha

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i cant believe someone actually showed up to defend motherfucking imperial russia i mean what the gently caress

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZqVOFSYRWI

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the tsar might've survived to become some kind of waxwork monarchy like england but the particular pigheadedness of the aristocracy and political right in general in russia at that time would prove to their downfall

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Typo posted:

if the Tsar didn't want his country descending into civil war, there was an answer to that

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONKNwtlaF44

Significant Ant
Jun 14, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Instant Sunrise posted:

Does it even make sense to call Russian Empire an ethno state

The Russian aristocracy spoke French, German, and English

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
they were also huge anti-semites, OP

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Significant Ant posted:

Does it even make sense to call Russian Empire an ethno state

The Russian aristocracy spoke French, German, and English

Hurrrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frog Act posted:

anyone got a good book recommendation on the Russian revolutions and, as a follow up, on Stalin and the transition of power after his death? I'm fine with something academic, I never got to take any Russian history courses

FWIW I'm reading Neil Faulkner's A People's History of the Russian Revolution and I found it a lot more readable and approachable than Mieville's October

• Locked thread