Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
This is screening mid-October for a film festival and I'm kind of excited for a Von Trier film, maybe? Also, holy poo poo, it's 155 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Teenage Fansub posted:

It premiered here in NZ at a movie marathon last weekend, which was quite the thing to stick in the middle of a bunch of easy going old exploitation movies.

Do we have a good idea of what's out for the R-rated cut yet?
I'm guessing:
Not seeing the middle-aged lady's body after the dragging.
For the 'family' section, not looking down the sights while the kids are shot, not seeing a wide shot of them propped up for the picnic, and a total removal of him posing Mr. Grumpy.
No explicit breast cutting, and maybe a reduction in stranglings overall.

It's only about 80 seconds or so, but point one and two are definitely in the R rated VOD cut. The last one seemed like it definitely had some cuts, pardon the pun.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Teenage Fansub posted:

The 'Family' chapter is intact? I can't quite believe that.

I mean I have no frame of reference but the Family chapter seemed mostly fine although it wouldn't surprise me if there was some trimming around the actual kids being shot - they get pegged in the leg and head respectively, but there's no fountains of gore, while the Riley Keogh chapter has a very abrupt cut when he raises the knife to her chest, before cutting to the streetside where he puts the breast on the windshield . The half-face of Incident 2 was there in full view, and the taxidermy lesson/Mr. Grumpy bits seemed intact as well, and in Incident 1 there were some shots of the jack attack that felt truncated and shorter than the trailer , but I think the cuts didn't diminish the message at all.

Also, the cut to credits might be the best comedic beat of 2018.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Hollismason posted:

I didn't find it that gruesome really. Everyone acted like it was really grisly and it just wasn't.

Overall I just thought it was okay. The beginning was really good but the end was kind of a let down.

Man I think it's been subject to the Cannes/film festival frenzy of "PEOPLE ARE FAINTING AT THIS MOVIE" (see also: Raw), but the whole conceit of a sociopathic murderer justifying his violence is never gonna fly at a PG-13 level regardless of how much violence is or isn't shown