Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012
I really loving hated this movie. I think a lot of the gripes I had were because of intentional choices that just combined into a very unenjoyable time. On a story level, I couldn't care about anything going on because there's no real emotional relationship to any characters. The supporting cast is never given any time to develop because of how the film was arranged into chapters, and Jack himself is an emotionless psychopath. Who can you relate to and why does what happens matter? It's very nihilistic, which, again, was intentional.

The narration is obscenely pretentious and self-serious and the best comparison I can make is to that youtube nazi intellectual whos character is a animated suit of armor. I know the movie is arguing more than "killing is art" but that's the biggest theme hammered in. It's a flagrantly personal movie which is interesting, and Lars really exposes himself in a way I can't remember ever seeing any filmmaker do before. But the whole time I'm watching this movie I can't get the image out of my head of the person making this film being a hardcore edgelord. This movie is very weird in this particular time, where everyone under 30 whos angry and has ideas has a youtube channel or podcast. It's very of it's time.

There's some hosed up stuff in this movie, but it just feels like it's coming from a place of wanting to offend instead of creativity. This movie thinks it's the TV series Hannibal but it's really just a classier Saw sequel. I can relate my experience watching this to watching the Uwe Boll movie Rampage, in that it feels like a movie that wants to offend and disgust SO HARD that my reaction is to just tell the movie to gently caress off.

Some of the segments were memorable. The epilogue was great. The taxidermied kid is a horrifying visual.

As you can tell, I'm conflicted. I know that there's a lot of deep reads that can be made that I'm not even thinking about, and I know this movie has a lot of depth, and some great visuals, and nice David Bowie breaks peppered throughout. Hey, it's different enough to make me think and make me ponder. On the other hand, gently caress this movie. It was correct to screen it out at Cannes.

Edit: forgot my last and favorite comparison. This is the movie LVT makes after spending a month binging all the metal gear solid games. All of them.

Macaroni Surprise fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU