Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Lamuella posted:

Wonder who they'll put against Gresham when he comes over. Chris Ridgeway would be fun.

Ridgeway's wrestling Cara Noir for the title in a 2-out-of-3 falls match, but Wrestle Carnival did Gresham/Ridgeway earlier this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Lumbermouth posted:

Ridgeway's wrestling Cara Noir for the title in a 2-out-of-3 falls match

god help me i am going to watch some britwres in 2022

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Need to get Ridgeway back over to Japan so he can kick some Noah juniors in the face.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/RevProUK/status/1479091696428322818?s=20

Akira vs Kidd sounds like fun.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Yeah, Kidd has been a revelation since he came back. If there's anyone who hasn't seen his match against Jonathan Gresham on new Japan Strong, hunt it down.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

This card is actually pretty sick. Shaw vs Charlie Evans has just been added as well. Shota/Tsuji will be weird to watch live as I’m convinced that match is a future Tokyo Dome main event

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lamuella posted:

Yeah, Kidd has been a revelation since he came back. If there's anyone who hasn't seen his match against Jonathan Gresham on new Japan Strong, hunt it down.

Also the one with Eddie Kingston

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

In one sense, a Conservative MP defecting to Labour 15 minutes before Prime Minister's Questions isn't pro wrestling

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1483768328107827201?t=sba0fo9qff7dWDQGnwI7Wg&s=19

But in another sense it's as pro wrestling as it gets. They even had an ALL ELITE graphic.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bury South? he sign to NWA???

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!

https://twitter.com/gcwrestling_/status/1489365754852040706?s=21

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I hate having to travel that far North but I guess I’m going to have to.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

History Comes Inside! posted:

I hate having to travel that far North but I guess I’m going to have to.

you can travel from London to Glasgow in like 3 hours by car. Your country is tiny.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

coconono posted:

you can travel from London to Glasgow in like 3 hours by car. Your country is tiny.

where can I get one of those magical traffic-removing laser beams

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s realistically 4-5 hours in the car or a £140 per person train journey with at least 2 changes for me.

For a tiny country that definitely has better public transport options than the US, it’s still tremendously bullshit to get around.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ignore speed limits, endanger other motorists, ignore all road construction warnings

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
if you can take trains directly between large cities the uk is quick and relatively cheap to get around, anything else is kind of a mess

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

coconono posted:

Yeah but distances feel further in a small country. I bet going from 1 side of San Marino to the other feels gargantuan.

Also when you rely on public transport it'd mean an overnight stay & those costs add up. When I'd go to Glasgow for gigs by the time they end I'd have missed the last train home by 2 or 3 hours so I'd often just sit around the bus station because it's open all night & at least gives you a little shelter. And a cheap instant hot drinks machine, which helps a little at 3am in November. But I'm getting too dang old to pull all-nighters and wait for 8 hours in a bus station. And hotels are an expensive luxury.

So instead I'll just move back to Glasgow one day, because being able to go to your own bed after a gig is the height of decadence

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

coconono posted:

you can travel from London to Glasgow in like 3 hours by car.

clueless

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

did you all lose your licenses in brexit or what

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

coconono posted:

I’ve lived in London my whole life. I never needed to learn to drive

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

coconono posted:

Never learned to drive. It's costly.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
If you book months in advance you could probably get a cheap ticket (especially if you are eligible for a railcard of some form) but you are still talking about four hours on the train to Liverpool if you have to travel into London from anywhere appreciably further out (you could also save a decent chunk of money if you went on the slow train to Birmingham and change there but that makes it five+ hours and its hell don't do it) but realistically you'd have to also stay overnight because the last train probably leaves before the show starts, never mind ends.

No one drives in London for a litany of reasons (very good public transport including night buses, the fact that you have to pay daily to take your car anywhere vaguely near the centre, traffic is awful and parking very difficult in most places etc) so public transport is the most relevant aspect of things - plus if you are going to a show you probably want to be able to have a couple of drinks with your pals before, during and perhaps after and you can't do that if you are driving back afterwards. Its also probably not that much cheaper - petrol is expensive and rising pretty significantly at the moment.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Finally got to see RevPro High Stakes. Generally a very very high quality show.

1) Gideon Grey vs Alex Coughlin. Standard "cocky weedy villain vs new dominant face" squash. Grey starts by taunting the crowd. Coughlin is his surprise opponent in new gear. Lots of fun crowd pleasing power moves and an easy victory

2) Shota Umino vs Yota Tsuji. Lion vs Lion. Tsuji is looking fantastic. He's turned heel, leaned up, joined a faction called the Legion, and looks like the business. Umino is Baby Tanahashi. Still repping the Death Riders. Nice play with the face / heel dynamic with the handshake. Very athletic, Dojo foundation with some fun variations in terms of speed (Umino) and power (Tsuji). This is a good match overall. Umino got some brutal strikes on him. Tsuji has some Nakajima energy. Towards the end of the match Tsuji attacks one of his Legion handlers and it becomes a Face / Face slap fight. Umino ultimately wins, which Tsuji takes poorly.

3) Dan Moloney vs Callum Newman. Huge heelish bruiser vs softboi babyface. Newman is fast, flippy, pure white meat babyface. Moloney is musclebound, has some decent power spots, but needs work. He's just a little clumsy. His strikes aren't bad though. Couple of rough move attempts and they start to lose the crowd until Newman does a somersault off the stage and the excitement wins the crowd for a bit. Problem is they're following Umino and Tsuji who are as crisp and sharp as any wrestlers ever have been, while Newman and Moloney have more rough edges than is ideal. Gideon Grey is a decent ratbag on commentary. Crowd are quiet enough that individual shouts can be heard. They get a bit more fire with a strike exchange, and Moloney feels like he's woken up and joined the match finally. Moloney wins in a match that could have had five minutes trimmed comfortably.

Moloney does some decent poo poo talking of the crowd post match.

4) Alex Windsor vs Charli Evans. Charli Evans is loving world class. Technical, hard hitting, not afraid of a bit of blood and guts. Alex Windsor I'm less familiar with but she's got a lot of swagger and a great look. This is an athletic, hard hitting match. Windsor has some great tech skills, Evans has power, Windsor has reach. Evans has a GREAT running knee and some beautiful suplexes. This is an excellent match overall. Windsor could deal with a tour of somewhere like Stardom or Sendai Girls. Evans could do with a contract with AEW, and probably a place on Team Taz because her suplexes are loving insane. Windsor barely scraped out a win in a great contest.

Post-match, Windsor is attacked by Debbie Keitel, who then cuts a promo that the crowd only sort of care about. Liked the line about "If I can't remember the end of the match it didn't happen". A wrestler called Hyan comes out at the end. Seems to be a power brawler. Cool.

5) Ricky Knight Junior vs Luke Jacobs. RKJ is Paige's younger brother and a mainstay of the British scene. Luke Jacobs has a good shooter look. RKJ is a crowd favourite, but on first sight Jacobs is more impressive to me. Commentary are very high on the two of them, and the match warms up a lot as it goes on, but this is a step down in terms of match quality from the last match. Not a HUGE step, but still a step. As with many of the matches tonight I feel like a few minutes could be shaved off this, but these guys both also warmed up after a while. They still need some time to work out the clumsy bits, though. RKJ ends up winning but I think Jacobs has a higher ceiling.

6) Gabriel Kidd vs Francesco Akira. It's weird to see Kidd back in England. Last time he was here regularly he was The Young Bull Gabriel Kidd, a rawboned puppydog of a wrestler who had some skill but was undeservedly cocky and wasn't fun to watch. The snarling pro he's become under Shibata is a world apart and he proves this with how he starts this match: tremendous flurry of strikes, suplex out of the corner, right into the hard hitting action. Kidd is working bully here, not quite heel but definitely dominant. Akira is small, fast, and very skilful at fighting from underneath. Gabe Kidd's chops are loving awesome, by the way. This is brutal in the best way. The Fighting Spirit chop exchange in the middle of this match is absolutely world class. Akira's chest is destroyed. Finally Kidd wears Akira down, and with a jumping piledriver he finally gets the Italian down for long enough to get the three. Bloody hell.

7) Aussie Open (Mark Davis and Kyle Fletcher) vs Sunshine Machine (Mambo and Cooper). Aussie Open are Will Ospreay's recruits to United Empire, and are a legitimately great tag team. Mambo and Cooper are really talented perpetual underdog faces who have ended up with the titles somehow. This could be fun. Sunshine Machine are clearly doing the "fun guys choosing violence" thing, and they have a REALLY long shine at the start. However, Aussie Open, and in particular Mark Davis, are undeniable. I remember seeing Kyle Fletcher at UK independent shows about four of five years ago, and he was this weird gangly thing, and he's become an absolute assassin in the ring. They spend just a bit too long on the heat section. Mambo and Cooper need to look like underdogs, but there's a calculus that needs to be done about making someone look like an underdog without making them look like there's no possible way for them to win. By the time Cooper comes in with a hot tag he looks as beat up as his partner. Because of this, they start losing the crowd a bit. They get them back for the end sequence, where Cooper starts showing some toughness and Mambo demonstrates heart. Mambo does what I can only describe as a Tombstone Destroyer, which looks amazing. Things get a bit indieriffic and the match has about six end sequences. Wish indy guys would learn some restraint on this. I know they want to do Epic End Sequences, but they can collapse under their own weight if you're not careful. Finally on the seventh end sequence Sunshine Machine win. Great stuff, would have been better five minutes earlier.

8) Will Ospreay vs Michael Oku. God, reviewing Will Ospreay matches is frustrating. He is technically incredible and SUCH an arsehole. Oku is incredible. In a world with no pandemic I am certain he would have been offered something huge by a bigger company by now. This match is fast, hard hitting, acrobatic, and beautifully paced. It would be easy to write this up as Oku being the young cruiser while Ospreay is the veteran heavy, but the psychology is much more interesting than that. In one strand, Oku is who Ospreay used to be. In another, Oku is nothing like Ospreay because he has the anchor of family so prominently in his character. There are some beautiful spots in this match. Oku has a genius with huricanranas where every one has unbelievable snap. Credit to Ospreay who is selling the hell out of them. Oh jesus, there's a spot where Oku is thrown out of the ring and through the timekeeper's table where he looks like he died. There's an awkward bit after this where Oku's girlfriend gets involved and Ospreay hits another woman (gently caress Will Ospreay), and they hard pedal the melodrama too much. However out of that we get absolutely spectacular shine from Oku. As with several other matches on this show they go hard on the false finishes, but to be fair this is the match you use those for. Oku is definitely the underdog, but he looks entirely credible both when on the attack and when being destroyed. Oku has an absolutely beautiful leglock variant towards the end, just gorgeous. The "towel" spot with Connor Mills is this match at its most Cody, but it works. In the end, Ospreay's victory is inevitable, but the amount of damage he has to pour on to make sure of it is just incredible.

All in all, bloody good show. The worst match was average, the best watches were world class. Would like to see more out of their women's division, but in general this is a high quality wrestling product I would watch a lot more of.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Lamuella posted:

Post-match, Windsor is attacked by Debbie Keitel, who then cuts a promo that the crowd only sort of care about. Liked the line about "If I can't remember the end of the match it didn't happen". A wrestler called Hyan comes out at the end. Seems to be a power brawler. Cool.

Don’t cut promos in York Hall. The acoustics are so bad that the crowd can’t hear a word you’re saying

Hyan normally works the US invites but she’s back in the UK after a successful tour of last year

Glad you enjoyed the show. It was unbelievable live (I’m the blonde guy in the front row constantly losing his mind). The crowd really believed Oku could do it. Going to one of their smaller shows tomorrow and just casually getting Aussie Open vs Shota/Tsuji

https://twitter.com/revprouk/status/1489896909154275330?s=21

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Looks like a good card, hope they give Coughlin some time to shine.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Mambo and Teeks changing their name from “Escaping the Midcard” is a loving crime

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

https://twitter.com/UntitledWresPod/status/1490387347032223745?t=PMSJFdKwnMaMlFuN8SANxQ&s=19

siiiick

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

that won't be on the VOD

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

coconono posted:

that won't be on the VOD

It might be on the WWE side.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Anyone else going to PROGRESS this weekend? The top two matches look like they're going to absolutely rule. Strickland and Noir in a battle of brilliant entrances:

https://twitter.com/swerveconfident/status/1490763986857598977

https://twitter.com/ThisIs_Progress/status/1491129358358319104

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

How's Progress under the new owners? Same old thing or have they improved at all?

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://youtu.be/-qaPd70191I

Oooooooh shiiiiiiiiiiit! I get to scream Kaze Ni Nare live for the first time in years

Ziggy Tzardust fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 3, 2022

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
https://www.pwtorch.com/site/2022/0...october-return/

Um, who had this on their bingo card?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

How can you have 1PW when there's no Sterling James Keenan?

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Today's RevPro card lost Jeff Cobb ad Will Ospreay within a matter of days. Henare is replacing Cobb in his match against RKJ (a bit of a downgrade imo but can live with it) and the haven't announced what they're doing with the main event yet. Probably been up all night trying to find someone

https://twitter.com/RevProUK/status/1528128762025586688

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Today's RevPro card lost Jeff Cobb ad Will Ospreay within a matter of days. Henare is replacing Cobb in his match against RKJ (a bit of a downgrade imo but can live with it) and the haven't announced what they're doing with the main event yet. Probably been up all night trying to find someone

https://twitter.com/RevProUK/status/1528128762025586688

Jeez, that sucks for them.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Lamuella posted:

Jeez, that sucks for them.

RevPro might be the unluckiest promotion around that’s yet to go out of business. They just can’t catch a break

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

So I’ve been living in Berlin for about a month and a half and have had very little time for the wrassles. Also been too busy painting BattleTech miniatures. There is, however, a local wrestling scene here and I’m excited to go see GWF (German Wrestling Federation) for the first time today. Anyone here seen a GWF show? Any important names that’ve come from GWF?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

a cyborg mug posted:

So I’ve been living in Berlin for about a month and a half and have had very little time for the wrassles. Also been too busy painting BattleTech miniatures. There is, however, a local wrestling scene here and I’m excited to go see GWF (German Wrestling Federation) for the first time today. Anyone here seen a GWF show? Any important names that’ve come from GWF?

They had a lot of BritWres crossover for a while and even had British commentary. Post-pandemic they're much more focused on homegrown talent. In terms of notable names, John Klinger (Bad Bones) is pretty good and GWF is in his stomping grounds. Axel Tischer (Alexander Wolfe from NXT UK) turns up a lot too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Lamuella posted:

They had a lot of BritWres crossover for a while and even had British commentary. Post-pandemic they're much more focused on homegrown talent. In terms of notable names, John Klinger (Bad Bones) is pretty good and GWF is in his stomping grounds. Axel Tischer (Alexander Wolfe from NXT UK) turns up a lot too.

Oh cool, both dudes seem to be on the card today as well! Klinger in a singles match and Tischer in what seems to be a good ol’ Royal Rumble-style match.