Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I was loving around in franchise mode and simmed to 2040. Both Justin Tucker and Johnny Hekker are still playing at age 50, and Jake Elliot at 46. Also the game sims multiple years pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
つ ◕_◕ ༽つ EA Give ROSTER ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

OxySnake posted:

Broken in that you can actually throw them before you flattened by a rampaging dlineman or that 75+% of the time it doesnt matter because your RB gets caught on a T and doesnt actually get near where they are supposed to?

yes

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
how the gently caress does this game still not have the option to actually watch the whole game when you're super-starring in franchise? How could there not be a single person on this whole dev team who actually wants to see kicks and INT's and poo poo that actually led their franchise player to be on the field? Much less game winning kicks, punts, etc.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Does this Madden have DBs and lbs for the CPU have magical teleportation powers to get picks and does the key moment mode or whatever still force artificially close games like 18 did

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Have screens been fixed yet?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Key Moments

Dont use this feature

You'll be down 30 before you touch the ball while the CPU kicks 65 yard FGs and gets nothing but pick sixes while you sim

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Does this Madden have DBs and lbs for the CPU have magical teleportation powers to get picks

Yes. But I’ve only really noticed it on All-Madden. There are so many times where they would get this insane boost of speed to either pick or knock down one of my passes that they should have not been able to.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
This is the first Madden I've ever owned and played for more than a few hours. As a fan of the sport that watches every week but doesn't live in the US and didn't grow up playing Madden this game has a stupidly big learning curve. Finding guides and information resources is kind of tough. Everything on the internet in print form seems to be a bunch of pre-release overview stuff done by reviewers or other people spouting press release content and all of the Youtube content I've seen is the same, or it's done by super experienced people that just speak a bunch of jargon. Everything on reddit and other forums is just a bunch of jaded players making snarky complaints about everything. Please excuse my noob questions:

-Where do I start with trying to learn to read the offense/defense? At best I might be able to tell if it's a passing play or running play, but beyond that? Ugggh. Ditto for offense, how do I tell if I'm going to need to pass quickly or if I'm going to have time to let the receivers run their routes?
-Once I've got better at that, where do I start with calling audibles/making assignments/adjusting routes accordingly? That poo poo looks complicated and even if I learn it, I feel like by the time I've manually selected a play (at the moment I'm just using the suggested stuff) I'm not even going to have time to execute all the button presses anyway.
-How do I call for a fair catch/take a knee in the end zone? Why can I seemingly not control my punt/kick returner before I catch the ball? He just stands there and it lands behind him and it's up to the gods as to whether it ends up as a touchback.

I've been playing MUT which I'm quite enjoying. Have the following questions though:
-Is there a quicker way to adjust my lineup when I get a new card? I hate using the "promote to lineup" from the action screen when I open a card because it puts them at the top of the depth chart instead of 2nd or 3rd where I'd like them. Ideally I'd like a command to replace them with the highlighted player card when I'm in the "compare players" view but I assume that's not possible?
-Does quick selling a card refund the training points I've invested or do I have to manually go in and refund all the training I've invested before selling the card?
-How do I evaluated the value of all the different types of cards. It's ridiculous how many types there are. Are the Green cards better than Purple ones? What about the Master cards? Or the Legend cards? Or the Rookie Cards or the Red cards? Is there a general guide for this?
-Which solo challenges should I generally be focusing on to get the biggest bang for buck upgrades? I've been making my way through the Season/Career ones with a smattering of "TOTW", Training and whatever the Purple ones are called.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 21, 2018

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Go to the skills trainer

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
dont play madden

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Looten Plunder posted:

-Where do I start with trying to learn to read the offense/defense? At best I might be able to tell if it's a passing play or running play, but beyond that? Ugggh. Ditto for offense, how do I tell if I'm going to need to pass quickly or if I'm going to have time to let the receivers run their routes?
If the offensive line as a whole goes backwards, it's a pass. If some go backwards but some go sideways it's either a screen or a run play with a pulling lineman; follow the lineman. Anything else is a run play, watch the RB.

On offense, if the defenders in the box are numerous & close to the line you probably will have less time to react. (Might be a bluff, but better safe than sorry IMO)
Check the edges of the offensive line for outside rushers pre-snap, and post-snap and if a channel opens up in the middle watch for a blitzer.

quote:

-Once I've got better at that, where do I start with calling audibles/making assignments/adjusting routes accordingly? That poo poo looks complicated and even if I learn it, I feel like by the time I've manually selected a play (at the moment I'm just using the suggested stuff) I'm not even going to have time to execute all the button presses anyway.
tbh I always use suggested plays, just audible out of it if it sucks. The easiest example I can use that doesn't involve pictures is this: say you call Four Verticals, or PA Verts or a Hail Mary or anything like that where everybody goes long. You line up and the defense has two deep safeties. If those two do anything other than blitz, you're hosed throwing the long ball. Since those are your only available routes on the play you've called (coupled with the fact that if they were blitzing they wouldn't be deep), you should audible out.
Another, less common example: if you call Slants (short slant routes on the outside, flats/slants for slot/TE/HB) and the secondary comes out in press coverage, or even inside coverage, the defense is in the way, so audible out.

The advanced mechanism is to run practices until you figure out how long you want to hold the ball on various routes, figure out where the receiver is when you get to that point, and figure out what defenders are going to be in the way of that & what they'll be doing if they're in the way/not in the way.

quote:

-How do I call for a fair catch/take a knee in the end zone? Why can I seemingly not control my punt/kick returner before I catch the ball? He just stands there and it lands behind him and it's up to the gods as to whether it ends up as a touchback
It's triangle/Y on controllers, idk what the default KB/M is.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
MUT guy:

1) mut is a cancer, but I have it too so it's ok

2)
Yeah the whole "promote to starter" thing is dumb if you're putting someone somewhere other than your top spot for the position. The better thing to do is just go to your team screen and tell it to auto-populate for your best team (Y or Triangle I think?). It's pretty spot on for when you're starting out but you'll eventually want to make adjustments to get chemistry's together or use lower OVR guys who you like more.

I'm also curious about what happens to the training points because I swear there was a preview video that said you could refund/demote players and get the points back but I haven't found the mechanic for it or tried to sell anyone with points on them yet.

As for evaluating card value OVR is the big obvious one. I forget the order for colors but I believe it's bronze<silver<gold<elite-red, the other colors are like special promo cards that are their own thing and can range anywhere in there but they also have other properties like being upgradeable or useable to complete the sets for other rewards.

For solo challenges just kill off anything you can. You can always scroll through and look at what rewards you're going to get off of a solo challenge set. If you need players around 77 OVR then hit up those legends lists because they'll give you specific players at around that level. Do anything that pops up as "weekly" or limited time, they always give good rewards.

Don't buy packs, use the auction marketplace and buy specific players. Packs are a ripoff most of the time unless you're doing the special deals and things like the pack offers they give. In the auction place you can filter by position/team/offense/etc to find a particular position you're trying to upgrade or just browse. You can also filter by the "buy now" price and just see what's on there that you can afford.

Also watch the "objectives" screen (all the way left and top left on the main page) to see what you can do to get bonus money/cards. The daily one is usually pretty easy (I think it's always win 2 games, buy a pack/player, complete a set...the last two you can just cheese buy buying a single lovely player for like 200 gold and completing the player-trade set where you trade in like 3 lovely dudes for one slightly less lovely dude)

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 21, 2018

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It feels so freeing to have never touched the MUT section of the game at all this year.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I suggest if youre unfamiliar with certain football concepts to watch your favorite team's America's Game documentary, its where some of our madden players learn everything about their team

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I suggest if youre unfamiliar with certain football concepts to watch your favorite team's America's Game documentary, its where some of our madden players learn everything about their team

It owns that I've beaten you over and over in the game and made you rage quit.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
U mad

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the tips guys.

I assume all the people here touting that MUT is poo poo, and bitching that franchise mode is shallow and awful are playing.... online H2H or something? gently caress playing against people that have played Madden all their life, I'll stick with my MUT stuff vs CPU haha.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm also curious about what happens to the training points because I swear there was a preview video that said you could refund/demote players and get the points back but I haven't found the mechanic for it or tried to sell anyone with points on them yet.

You can refund them from the upgrade menu by selecting an already purchased upgrade. But yeah, yet to confirm whether you need to do it before Quick Selling a player.

What do you do with your extra/no longer needed players? Do you just quick sell them for Training or do you try and complete sets with them?

Can you add a player to a set and still use them in your lineup until you cash the full set out?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
MUT is ok but it's a pay to win trap and if you play people online there, you'll degrade in actual football concepts because it's basically a battle of who stops the cheese faster, and that doesn't translate to goon leagues. My monitor is on.

In MUT, only focus on collecting football mans you care about instead of chasing every upgrade or you'll hate yourself. training can be refunded, albeit manually, and you lose 50% of it if you downgrade, so keep that in mind when you are powering up guys when it starts getting expensive. Also ignore OVR because as I mentioned, MUT h2h is all about the cheese and nothing else. OVR doesn't matter unless you care about your e-peen

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I don't play MUT and just do offline franchise god bless.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Last year I'd just auction them but idk if training is a better investment now

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Dubious posted:

Also ignore OVR because as I mentioned, MUT h2h is all about the cheese and nothing else. OVR doesn't matter unless you care about your e-peen

What stats do I focus on for maximum cheese?

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Looten Plunder posted:

What stats do I focus on for maximum cheese?

Find your fastest WR, put them in as a RB.

Profit.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah I'm glad there's a lot more vs cpu modes in MUT because playing other people is not worth the like 1 in 10 games you win and actually enjoy or the grind towards making that 1 in 5, but I do enjoy the whole card collection and team improvement stuff.

Baker Mayfield has the stupidest card art of all time.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Baker Mayfield has the stupidest card art of all time.

lmao you weren't kidding

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
They also made a point of putting a huge version on splash screens you dismiss before getting into MUT because it's one of the reward cards for playing through the rookie gauntlet solo challenges.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
*extremely Trump voice*

The Baker Mayfield card art is not happy with me--that's okay, I'll still keep starting that garbage

Oberst
May 24, 2010

OxySnake posted:

Find your fastest WR, put them in as a RB.

Profit.

enjoy your fumble machine

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Looten Plunder posted:

Thanks for the tips guys.

I assume all the people here touting that MUT is poo poo, and bitching that franchise mode is shallow and awful are playing.... online H2H or something? gently caress playing against people that have played Madden all their life, I'll stick with my MUT stuff vs CPU haha.

goon league bitch

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I play off line career cause I enjoy drafting rookies and the roster management. U play I am hood games a year. They should have the Dolphins so I always play the Pats Bills and Jets but apart from that I usually play Big hockey teams are in the playoffs

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Waroduce posted:

I play off line career cause I enjoy drafting rookies and the roster management. U play I am hood games a year. They should have the Dolphins so I always play the Pats Bills and Jets but apart from that I usually play Big hockey teams are in the playoffs

Are you doing a mad libs

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Got a GameStop gift card burning a hole in my pocket. How’s the mycareer in this?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
There isnt one

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Oh well poo poo. I’ll just play longshot when it’s cheap again next year. Thanks

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Madden is $30 on psn if you don't have this terrible game yet

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I like to play offline career and I just set my philosophy to 46 for max exp and run whatever playbook I want. Its dumb as gently caress there are no bonuses or penalties. This poo poo is as shallow as your high school gf

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
So has this game been patched to be more playable than last year? Or should I just go back to 17, the last Madden I enjoyed.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Epi Lepi posted:

So has this game been patched to be more playable than last year? Or should I just go back to 17, the last Madden I enjoyed.

honestly with a decent slider set i had a lot of fun vs the CPU in franchise, but the latest patch made the AI almost godlike with that same slider set, so.

also to be fair my franchise standards are pretty low

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Do DBs still randomly rubber band to the ball? How are injuries this year? They were stupid as hell in 18 you’d either get none or everyone would be hurt every game.

Edit: one other gripe I had with 18 is that when you played local multiplayer the circles underneath the players were unreadable so you couldn’t tell who you were. The colors were all too transparent to see.

Epi Lepi fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I haven't touched this game in months. Are screen passes "fixed" from where they were at launch? Are middle linebackers still incredibly good at intercepting bullet passes?