Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
lmao i failed at reading the docs so its kinda moot

i was sad about not having shift because i thought i didn't have a mult, so i beat one of the tutorials by repeating adds instead of using the mult command lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
it is bullshit that mark is a pseudo instruction that doesnt count for cycles but it still counts for size

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Someone should make a game that is connecting logic gates and flip-flops together to solve similar puzzles.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
and then it transitions into HDL once it gets complicated

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
one thing id like to see is more advanced tools in later levels. in these games sure you unlock things as you go but they’re theoretically available from the start

like advanced exa with more registers or something

idk

just rambling

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Stereotype posted:

Someone should make a game that is connecting logic gates and flip-flops together to solve similar puzzles.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/684270/Silicon_Zeroes/

i have no idea if it's actually good, but it seems to match what you described

actually, a bunch of people seem to have made zachlikes that are just kinda half-baked and don't really capture the whole magic

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jabor posted:

actually, a bunch of people seem to have made zachlikes that are just kinda half-baked and don't really capture the whole magic

omg

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Jabor posted:

its good enough, probably worth $5 when its on sale unless you just like computers. the mediocre part is you build all the basic parts of a computer, then you move up to turning complete systems, and youve essentially peaked and from there it’s just making tiny improvements

theres no psudo realist world rules to learn or goofy story like a zachtronics original

echinopsis posted:

one thing id like to see is more advanced tools in later levels. in these games sure you unlock things as you go but they’re theoretically available from the start

like advanced exa with more registers or something

idk

just rambling

i really wish there was a non blocking multicast command where every exa listening to M each get the same value in the same tick.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Sep 1, 2018

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Stereotype posted:

play bug brain if you haven't http://www.biologic.com.au/bugbrain/

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jabor posted:

Okay I beat the first two worlds (building a CPU at the end of the second one is super fun) and am halfway done with the third (high speed design, where latency is a real thing). The puzzles are super fun, and some are way trickier, but overall the progression is super fast since most puzzles take all of 10 seconds to figure out.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Stereotype posted:

my dad got me rocky's boots for the c64 when i was a kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJBm3zlNjXg

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Stereotype posted:

A very early Zachtronics flash game called KOHCTPYKTOP lets you do just that but you have to make the logic gates yourself from N- and P type silicon.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

my dad got me rocky's boots for the c64 when i was a kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJBm3zlNjXg

ever get the chance to play robot odyssey?

invlwhen
Jul 28, 2012

please do your best
Update landed. Nine new puzzles! And stricter cycle counts on older ones.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

invlwhen posted:

Update landed. Nine new puzzles!

:hellyeah:

invlwhen posted:

And stricter cycle counts on older ones.

fuk

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
wtf my save game hasn't seemed to sync across different laptops. poo poo.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
okay, these new puzzles seem to have some insane challenges, it's pretty awesome

e: what am i missing with bonus mission 4? the histograms seem to be way faster than me...

Jabor fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 18, 2018

Angela Merkle Tree
Jan 4, 2012

the definition of open: "mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make"
College Slice
really proud of the horrible hack that made my solution to the final main campaign puzzle possible. needed to somehow provide a global timer/lock to avoid two exas broadcasting at the same time

make
file t
wipe

unique autoincrementing sequences :v:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

invlwhen posted:

Update landed. Nine new puzzles! And stricter cycle counts on older ones.

oh, sweet. making video games harder for new players with updates

v_v

i hate it when companies do this, because i am bad at video games (all types EXCEPT paperboy for the NES)

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

oh, sweet. making video games harder for new players with updates

v_v

i hate it when companies do this, because i am bad at video games (all types EXCEPT paperboy for the NES)

they made it harder to get onto the leaderboards but actually easier to complete the puzzles since you are now allowed to exceed size limits to tick puzzles as completed

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
finished the first four bonus puzzles, and now the second four are turning my brain into mush. thanks zach. thach.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
finished the second four (with a really lovely solution on one of them)

the last one looks ... interesting.

e: done. kinda easy compared to the previous four tbh

Jabor fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 21, 2018

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Zlodo posted:

they made it harder to get onto the leaderboards but actually easier to complete the puzzles since you are now allowed to exceed size limits to tick puzzles as completed

oh awesome! thanks for the heads up!

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

im so loving dumb how do i do a zach tronic

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
very carefully

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Skim Milk posted:

im so loving dumb how do i do a zach tronic
       /
      /

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
cool its available on not steam now
time to start the game everyone else finished by now

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

suffix posted:

cool its available on not steam now
time to start the game everyone else finished by now

don't worry none of us finished it

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
only jabor seems to have gotten very far lol

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
:cool:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

pretend I posted an edit of your avatar saying "I RULE" here

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

just got this earlier this week and only supsuper is in results list for most of the puzzles past the beginning

https://steamcommunity.com/id/polpobff is my steam account

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
funny little turing machines

enjoying it so far, very satisfying
i don't feel the need to hyper optimize as much as in opus magnum opus, pretty happy to make the top quartile

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
finished it :toot:
but i'm missing some trick on the high school bonus level
i barely managed to fit into the size limit and it's slow as hell too, in the histograms everyone else uses half the size :\

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Stereotype posted:

Okay I beat the first two worlds (building a CPU at the end of the second one is super fun) and am halfway done with the third (high speed design, where latency is a real thing). The puzzles are super fun, and some are way trickier, but overall the progression is super fast since most puzzles take all of 10 seconds to figure out.

I tried to make the game accessible to people who didn't have experience in the field. That means that many of the levels are going to be very easy if you have worked with CPU design, or computer stuff generally. There are plenty of levels that should be pretty tricky regardless, especially in the 'side puzzles' section, but I'd probably balance things differently if I made the game again.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the game! (I know this response is pretty late; only saw the thread now.)

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 25, 2018

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
r u him

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
zachtronics inspired rodtronics altho i noticed not every single one of your products has the name zach in it like i want to call my delve into photography rodtrography, are you ashamed of the name zach

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
pleasingfungus is not zachary tronics

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Silver Alicorn posted:

pleasingfungus is not zachary tronics

yeah i got confused too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
i still haven't beaten all the levels in silicon zeros but it was real good until i hit a wall

• Locked thread