Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
hmm, yes, a rejection for using internals is totally the same as a rejection to steer a developer to platform technology

did you see that MoltenVK is actually using internals and just took a PR to stop doing so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

eschaton posted:

hmm, yes, a rejection for using internals is totally the same as a rejection to steer a developer to platform technology

did you see that MoltenVK is actually using internals and just took a PR to stop doing so?

yep, it went over quite fast actually, i'm impressed

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

vulkan is cool and good but posting phoronix benchmarks should be bannable

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsgI1mkx6iw

Linus Tech Tips collaborates with Wendell from Level1Techs to (attempt to) explain the current state of gaming on Linux. On the one hand I think the video does a pretty bad job, Wendell brings up a lot of technical details but doesn't explain them very well nor does the video actually go into enough depth on how to actually set any of this stuff up. Also it completely glosses over running games natively on Linux and jumps straight to WINE and GPU passthrough VMs. On the other hand that's pretty reflective of gaming on Linux, so :shrug:

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 23, 2018

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

well played demonstrating that there are worse things than phoronix benchmarks

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

well played demonstrating that there are worse things than phoronix benchmarks

yep

posting linus tech tips should be bannable, he's computing's doug demuro

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

and being all /r/linux about phoronix is not that constructive, show me any other site, any at all, that actually does graphics benchmarking on linux. he also maintains that test suite of his that has become the defacto cross-platform benchmarking suite

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

eschaton posted:

it wasn't even using any internal apis directly, they were just setting a flag to use IOSurfaces when initializing metal, which was a no-no prior to iOS 11. the initial fix was a trivial 3 line patch.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Mr.Radar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsgI1mkx6iw

Linus Tech Tips collaborates with Wendell from Level1Techs to (attempt to) explain the current state of gaming on Linux. On the one hand I think the video does a pretty bad job, Wendell brings up a lot of technical details but doesn't explain them very well nor does the video actually go into enough depth on how to actually set any of this stuff up. Also it completely glosses over running games natively on Linux and jumps straight to WINE and GPU passthrough VMs. On the other hand that's pretty reflective of gaming on Linux, so :shrug:

I liked when he copy pasted something into bash. setting that up probably took hours and hours so it makes sense that they'd skip over basically everything for the video.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Tankakern posted:

and being all /r/linux about phoronix is not that constructive, show me any other site, any at all, that actually does graphics benchmarking on linux. he also maintains that test suite of his that has become the defacto cross-platform benchmarking suite
I met the guy behind Phoronix once. It really is just one dude, writing the benchmark and articles and website and everything.

Compare that to, say, the business behind 3DMark or whatever.

On that note, running benchmark tools in Wine is still a thing.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I don't care if wine is a bit buggy, it runs the games that matter

also the core midi support on macos is really good

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

r u ready to WALK posted:

If these are in 16 bit mode note that they don't work on Windows 64 any more

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

challenged chip, the Linux game

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

what program is that upper e-piano thingie? looks neat

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

It's the DX Simulator software from yamaha, it's probably useless when you don't have the hardware it controls through midi

I've got an old MU-2000EX with the DX board in it, it sounds like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7FAJIRIrek

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

extremely good?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Stop wasting time on this vulkan crap and fix the really important stuff

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=21360

:smith:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

It's the DX Simulator software from yamaha, it's probably useless when you don't have the hardware it controls through midi

I've got an old MU-2000EX with the DX board in it, it sounds like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7FAJIRIrek

:yosnice:

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Noice! I have an SC-88VL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUKJ9M9EcEM

EDIT:
SC-55 composed stuff also sounds pretty much on point as well and that means:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciOpZiuUe3o

TheCoach fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 24, 2018

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuAaCb_lkgs

MIDI can be great, it's a shame the GM standard is such a low common denominator, and .mid files usually contain very little information about what gear they were designed for.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Yeah the main thing ya do when you own a hardware midi synth is dig for stuff that sounds good on your particular device

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GKUCMvdpAs

(BTW TTD on SC-88 is really drat good)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSJu8u3QOmk

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the linux gaming ultrathread page 1 of 3

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

what about turok for linux?!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

well, yeah, what kind of platform would macOS and iOS be without world class audio support?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

The_Franz posted:

it wasn't even using any internal apis directly, they were just setting a flag to use IOSurfaces when initializing metal, which was a no-no prior to iOS 11. the initial fix was a trivial 3 line patch.

passing a flag to an API on iOS whose docs say “don’t pass this flag on iOS” is considered use of private API

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

vulkan cannon

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

pram posted:

the linux gaming ultrathread page 1 of 3
lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

first post 2002, last post 2013

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lol even more vulkan wrappers is emerging

OpenGL ES over Vulkan aka GLOVE
Core OpenGL over Vulkan aka VKGL

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

this thread suddenly got a lot more relevant too, it finally emerged who were financing dxvk!

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton

extremely awesome, it seems like this could push a lot of people over the linux edge

pram
Jun 10, 2001
actually it mostly benefits the worlds most advanced operating system: macos

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

pram posted:

just wait for tim cook to deprecate quartz and metal for an electron overlay

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Tankakern posted:

extremely awesome, it seems like this could push a lot of people over the linux edge

there are hotlines for such sorts of thoughts, and theres hope left in life outside of mailing lists of linus related projects! :)

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
dont use wine. play official ports, use a passthrough windows vm, and boot into window for games that dont like vm (counter-strike)

with an ssd and grub menu, rebooting into windows a breeze. the power of free and open source linux. "linux: it's about choice"

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

pram posted:

honest question, does that benefit macOS at all?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

PleasureKevin posted:

"no plans" to support macos, says valve

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

PleasureKevin posted:

because directx -> dxvk -> vulkan -> moltenvk -> metal

dont you wanna play game through 17 emulators???

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i wanted to play deadly premonition but i cant get it working in wine

granted, apparently it's not exactly great at running in windows either, so eh

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Triglav posted:

because directx -> dxvk -> vulkan -> moltenvk -> metal

dont you wanna play game through 17 emulators???

ok, i thought it would be more complicated than that. are you saying i just gotta install the right combination of stuff and games will run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Triglav posted:

dont use wine. play official ports, use a passthrough windows vm, and boot into window for games that dont like vm (counter-strike)

with an ssd and grub menu, rebooting into windows a breeze. the power of free and open source linux. "linux: it's about choice"

no

what the hell, "counter-strike"? all cs versions has been out on linux since valve started the focus on linux

• Locked thread