Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoU7M3181Qw

think i'll have to get a new computer soon so i can finally try gta v :pcgaming:

dxvk, vulkan implementation of d3d11
DXUP, d3d10 -> d3d11 translation layer so you can use dxvk for d3d10 too
wine-staging
esync patch, makes cpu bound programs that does a lot of synchronization a lot less demanding on wine
PBA patchset, to make WoW and other opengl stuff go smooth by i guess

post your favourite linux gaming moments in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

just now wine gained support for vulkan under macos too, because of codeweavers and moltenvk

and i forgot to mention, there's also VK9, a d3d9 translation layer

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

my last linux gaming moment was SOMA, that game and story owns bones

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

re: dota 2 perf: Dota 2 Vulkan Performance Across MacOS, Windows 10 & Linux Benchmarks

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

red wine or white wine, op

looks like red to me!

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hahahahah

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

dont give a drat about gta online anyway

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

dxvk's not perfect yet i guess, they just got it working

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

dxvk 0.63 out with lower cpu overhead and support for the latest nvidia driver
wine 3.13 out with support for vulkan on macos! due to moltenvk

everyone that does 3d stuff on macos should use moltenvk

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Themage posted:

only a linux user could get so excited at the prospect of running a 5 year old game with missing effects

of course, anything that makes us be able to not use windows

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

year of linux on the desktop 2099

alternately get you some WSL, year of linux on the windows desktop was last year mate

over my dead body

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

eschaton posted:

hmm, yes, a rejection for using internals is totally the same as a rejection to steer a developer to platform technology

did you see that MoltenVK is actually using internals and just took a PR to stop doing so?

yep, it went over quite fast actually, i'm impressed

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

well played demonstrating that there are worse things than phoronix benchmarks

yep

posting linus tech tips should be bannable, he's computing's doug demuro

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

and being all /r/linux about phoronix is not that constructive, show me any other site, any at all, that actually does graphics benchmarking on linux. he also maintains that test suite of his that has become the defacto cross-platform benchmarking suite

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

r u ready to WALK posted:

I don't care if wine is a bit buggy, it runs the games that matter

also the core midi support on macos is really good

what program is that upper e-piano thingie? looks neat

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

r u ready to WALK posted:

It's the DX Simulator software from yamaha, it's probably useless when you don't have the hardware it controls through midi

I've got an old MU-2000EX with the DX board in it, it sounds like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7FAJIRIrek

:yosnice:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

what about turok for linux?!

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lol even more vulkan wrappers is emerging

OpenGL ES over Vulkan aka GLOVE
Core OpenGL over Vulkan aka VKGL

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

this thread suddenly got a lot more relevant too, it finally emerged who were financing dxvk!

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton

extremely awesome, it seems like this could push a lot of people over the linux edge

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Triglav posted:

dont use wine. play official ports, use a passthrough windows vm, and boot into window for games that dont like vm (counter-strike)

with an ssd and grub menu, rebooting into windows a breeze. the power of free and open source linux. "linux: it's about choice"

no

what the hell, "counter-strike"? all cs versions has been out on linux since valve started the focus on linux

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brqurr3n-8I

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

:yosnice:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

moltenvk 1.0.20 out, maybe interesting because they've wired up a few more extensions

now if all the people in the project thread could stop fiddling with metal and get going with moltenvk it would be great

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

someone from phoronix also mentioned gfx-rs for you rust people

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Doc Block posted:

why would I want to do that? metal is nicer than vulkan IMHO.

if I’m writing something for windows it’s gonna use DX, mac and ios versions use metal (mac also gets opengl if I wanna support old macs like my home 2011 iMac LOL). linux never enters into the picture.

even if you only use vulkan, you’re gonna have to do platform and vendor specific tweaks anyway.

i can't do anything about you hating on linux, but why would you use dx on windows if you could just make all the graphics stuff with vulkan from the start. it's not like vulkan's not working in windows.

vulkan works everywhere, so why not use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

eschaton posted:

because using the platform API instead of a third party wrapper will always result in something that’s better for the user

you say that, but i can't see why

• Locked thread