Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How's the thread?
This poll is closed.
Chill 11 10.48%
Comfy 16 15.24%
Relaxing 3 2.86%
Witty 0 0%
Delightful 1 0.95%
Cool 1 0.95%
Engaging 0 0%
:kazooieass: 73 69.52%
Total: 105 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

And the thread is up.

I'll be contacting a mod about getting them stickied. Also, the times for the goon runs mentioned in the OP here are from my OP which i showed Pants Donkey before we posted the threads and are in my Swedish UTC+2 time, so someone might want to check what times those are going to be at in some more US-relevant time zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Have arrived at the venue and checked myself in and made myself comfy in the room.

Let's party.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Also: Hotel has free popcorn and ice cream.

Ice cream machine is broken.

Nobody is probably surprised.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I have yet to locate Punchy, I thought I would for sure find him around the Quick & Crash cab but no luck so far.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Octatonic posted:

So what is the Stream 1 vs Stream 2 thing. Please use small words because I'm bad at reading OPs :(
There are two streams, the second one being hosted by GeekyGoonSquad. It's not running all the time, it starts one day after the main stream starts, ands one day earlier, and isn't running 24/7. It's to give you more speedrunning content and stream 2 is also used for some other types of content, like D&D which was a huge hit when it was done during the open block at ESA Winter despite not being a speedrun at all.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Raised By Birds posted:

That's a lot of Red Bull. Do they have that for the interviews or for the overnight runs?
So, fun fact about the Red Bull, if I have everything correct: ESA Winter was sponsored by Red Bull. We got free Red Bull and Red Bull Cola, and there were Red Bull brand fridges of varying sizes in the venue.

The fridges you see on stream and some more in the stream room are the same fridges as on ESA Winter. Red Bull doesn't sponsor this ESA, but apparently they never came to get their fridges back and we had a whole lot of Red Bull left over too. So... free ice cream, free popcorn, and free Red Bull. And a discount at the local Domino's from which I just ate a pizza that was definitely too big but whatevs, next time I'm getting a smaller size though.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

TeaJay posted:

How's the venue this time? Seems like it's a bit smaller than the indoor arena.
It's great! The roomyou see on stream is only the main streaming space, which also has practice TVs and poo poo in the back, kind of like the arena. But there's a lot more - just outside is a bunch of arcades (and the free popcorn and ice cream), then there's more rooms for practice and tabletop gaming and stuff like that. I don't know which one is actually bigger by physical space but this one is much much better than Fortnox.

I mean, at ESA Winter we absolutely had less space than at Fortnox and that was still a much better venue so it's also that Fortnox was actually not a good venue, I liked the venues we had in Skövde better than that one too.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Raised By Birds posted:

I hope Red Bull has a long shelf life. :v: I've had a red bull only once I can recall. I thought it was fine, but too expensive to buy regularly.
Red Bull honestly has nothing special going for it as far as being an energy drink goes, and the Red Bull Cola tastes more like cola-flavoured ice cream in liquid form than, well, cola, but as long as it's free I'm not going to complain. Would absolutely not buy it though givenn that it's lol-expensive for being an energy drink and there's bigger cans of brands with varieties that actually taste good for cheaper available.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The Lobster posted:

When I ACTUALLY DRINK an energy drink which is rare I drink the white can of Sugar Free Zero Calorie Monster. I don't know what flavor it's supposed to be but it's palatable and it has kept me up for things (tech week, Awful Block).
Monster Ultra Citron and Ultra Red are the best energy drinks, imo

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Also: Stream is being run on the in-hotel TV so I've been in my room since Gremlins 2 but still seen everything since. Gonna head back down now though, def want to actually be in the audience for Hollow Knight.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

"This game has it all, and none of it's good."

Good morning. Time to descend upon the breakfast buffet.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Update: Red Bull Cola is still not good

Also the keebab place right outside closed an hour earlier than it said on the door they would and the huge shopping center across the street apparently closes already at 20:00, which is all sorts of bullshit.

Anyway time to head to Stream 2 room for best Pokémon game.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Pokémon Snap setup was an adventure, two N64s and three video cables there was no signal and nobody knew why

Eventually an extremely ghetto setup happened, linkboss has pictures on his Twitter.

also: The first N64 turned out to not have the default thing in the slot for the expansion pak, though the issues went way deeper than that. The video quality suffered a lot as a result. Also that was me on commentary because Snap is literally my favourite Pokémon game so I asked if I could be on commentary and Dante was fine with it!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I'm gonna be around for Rearmed, at least, and then I'm going to be on donation reading throughout a bunch of the following NES block - am scheduled to take the station during Rearmed - so get your donations in during that so I can read them!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

D. Ebdrup posted:

I wish I could get a chance to troll KennyMan666 a bit, but I can't find room in my budget. :smith:

Will someone do it in my stead? :ohdear:
Don't worry because Quick & Crash has trolled me enough already.

OKAY I NEED TO BE AT THE DONATION STATION IN TEN MINUTES (15 minutes before I go on) SEE YOU LATER

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The Lobster posted:

They should start using fictional flags. :allears:
The flag thing is done by inputting the country code in a thing at the tech computers so Oromit probably just looks up obscure countries and their codes to give the plants.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Aight, amost time for me

Time to put on my tie and head down!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Woop

Well that was my one run of the marathon but I do still have two more donation shifts, and I also signed up to be in the SM64 relay race on Friday. Even though I don't actually like SM64. :V

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

TeaJay posted:

Is it gonna be like the 70 people relay last year?
It's a 70-star relay race with two teams, so, 140 runners. Chaos is guaranteed.

I'm doing Star 26: Bully the Big Bully on Team 2.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jul 24, 2018

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Edit: Turns out my star is number 26, not 25. Boy, that would have been embarassing.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

parabolic posted:

I'm sorry I didn't get to see it live, but KennyMan666 had an awesome run of The Useful Dead!

first try necromantic telekinetics!

the celebration of a new PB!

and a thread shoutout!

You should all watch the full VoD when you have a chance, great run, Kenny!
I am Kenny and I approve of this message.

I really didn't think I'd PB since all practice runs I had were mostly trash (still under estimate but y'know)

Also: We ran out of Red Bull. Not that I particularly like Red Bull, but rip free drinks

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 24, 2018

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Good news: I have another donation reading shift tomorrow.

Bad news: It's contained entirely within Mario Party 3 on stream 2.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

SeXReX posted:

Has anyone posted to this thread in the middle of their run?
Posting from the donation station on Stream 2, at least.

On donations for 4 hours of Mario Party, send help.

And donations.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Having hashed it out now I am also commentating two runs on Saturday. Plus I got my own thing with Celeste on Thursday.

Kingdom Hearts birth by sleep (makes sense) and sonic mania

sonic mania is the confusing one because I actively dislike that game and the runner knows this but he seems to think it'll be funny so ok then hope everyone likes me being incredibly unchill and trashing Manias poo poo bosses live on air
Gonna be double goons then 'cause I'm on donations during Sonic Mania! Schedule says I go on slightly into Hearthstone and then I'll be there basically until the end of Sonic Forces.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

TeaJay posted:

I bet it has an actual name but ever since classic Metroid I've always seen it as some kind of bun. (I didn't know a croissant when I was a kid)
It's called a Ripper.

Also fifty fuckin' k which means over 100k raised thanks to the 50k match from generous anonymous. Generonymous.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Okay, since a lot of people seem to have missed ESA Winter, the origins of marathon D&D:

At ESA Winter, there was a 10-hour "Open Block" in the schedule, where nothing was scheduled from the start, and there were instead whiteboard signups/suggestions at the event. At least one of the runs were put in as an extra rrun when one PC run got stupid delayed due to having to download and install the game. The open block was also what finally let me get Ragnarok Battle Offline into a marathon. Bu anyway.

One of the things entered was a D&D game. Opinions were a bit mixed - it wasn't really speedrunning, or video games at all, but it was decided - let's try it, why not? So five hours of D&D were streamed. Firepaw was the GM, and the party consisted of four players: Zephyyrr, Joshimuz, WiredWicky and one guy I forgot the name of. It was a bit touch and go, but it was a surprisingly big success, everyone involved had a lot of fun and the viewers seemed to enjoy it too, so it was a given that it would return as a Stream 2 feature at ESA Summer. If you enjoy this D&D block, do check out the VOD from Winter. You'll enjoy it, and the ending of it was Top 10 Anime Betrayals.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Raised By Birds posted:

lol, I think one of the participants was donating to some of the names. Zephyrr.

$30 for Bob Ross, $15 for Sneed, $15 for DIO.

Wonder if he was trying to pick his own name.
He said he'd donate to make sure he wasn't going to be Braaaaap.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Also, 2 hours until my fueled by McDonald's and Red Bull graveyard donation shift starts

It will contain a Sonic Mania run with Punchy on commentary (inside sources have told me that Punchy is mostly there to poo poo on the bosses of the game), making it the only part of the marathon where me and Punchy are featured on stream (okay, only my voice, but anyway) at the same time, so obviously I'm expecting a goon donation rush during that!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

On donations for an hour and a half of loving Hearthstone

Send help

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Jelly Omelet posted:

I did the thing
You are a good tripod.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Almost enough belts and chains to be in Kingdom Hearts.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

These guys never stop talking I have donations to read

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

This guy seriously points out literally every single button press he does

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Raised By Birds posted:

https://donations.esamarathon.com/donor/805/?comments

I remember seeing that donation message, but I don't remember it being associated with that name...

okay wow, yeah, look at that top message
Yeah that top one was one of only two donations I got sent to me that I made the choice to not actually read out. The other one was one that consisted entirely of Twitch emotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I'm trying to watch this GTAIII run in my room but the constant camera switching is nauseating.

• Locked thread