Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I believe what the underground residents are saying is "doomo", as in "arigato mister roboto".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Nidoking posted:

I believe what the underground residents are saying is "doomo", as in "arigato mister roboto".
Ah, alright. I guess that makes sense.

Part 8 - Manager For a Day

Well, I finally solved the mystery of the films, though I was a bit disappointed that all they seem to be are little clips. I'm not sure what I was really expecting, but a bit more than that. Then again, I at least got a kiss thanks to trading the Old Film in so I guess that's all alright. I didn't realize how long going to the factory would take, but I'm glad I did that since I managed to get a surprise kiss from the trip. Still, I'm going to want to start focusing on getting more Underground Resident kisses until I've run out of ones I can get at the moment, and thankfully there aren't too many left that fall under that category. Still, some like Jamtrack 415, Pinch Poncho, and 20-year-old Guy seem like major pains in the rear end to get kisses from. That being said I'm surprised at the amount of Underground Residents where all I need to do to get a kiss from them is just stand around and wait until they become kissable, so I suppose it's nice there's a couple that are a challenge of some kind.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The films are the source of the puns I mentioned earlier - the first film was one of them. The title was ”悪魔の人形”, which is read "akuma no ningyo", meaning "evil doll", as the subtitle said. The punchline when the girl opens the box is ”あ、くまの人形”, "ah, kuma no ningyo", which means "ah, a bear doll". The rest of the dialogue is basically him urging her to leave the box alone and her insisting that she wants to open it.

The workers at Funny Bone City all have faces drawn with Japanese katakana characters. It's a familiar guide to drawing simple faces using ”へ” (he) for eyebrows, ”の” (no) for eyes, ”も” (mo) for the nose, and a final "he" for the mouth. It's called "henohenomohe", which is why all of the named workers have names starting with "heno".

I remember Cyborg 009. Got the whole manga series somewhere, buried at the back of a bookcase probably.

And have you been calling Long Life Town "Low Life Town" this whole time?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Nidoking posted:

The films are the source of the puns I mentioned earlier - the first film was one of them. The title was ”悪魔の人形”, which is read "akuma no ningyo", meaning "evil doll", as the subtitle said. The punchline when the girl opens the box is ”あ、くまの人形”, "ah, kuma no ningyo", which means "ah, a bear doll". The rest of the dialogue is basically him urging her to leave the box alone and her insisting that she wants to open it.

The workers at Funny Bone City all have faces drawn with Japanese katakana characters. It's a familiar guide to drawing simple faces using ”へ” (he) for eyebrows, ”の” (no) for eyes, ”も” (mo) for the nose, and a final "he" for the mouth. It's called "henohenomohe", which is why all of the named workers have names starting with "heno".

And have you been calling Long Life Town "Low Life Town" this whole time?
I have to admit, that is kind of funny. I know it wouldn't have made things any clearer if they did this, but I wish they had translated that text for the English release. Even though the pun would still be lost, I was still confused as to what they were saying at all.

Ah yeah, I do recall seeing that face in anime/manga often. And after doing a Google search extensive research I found out Japanese kids draw them on scarecrows a lot, explaining why the Heno-guy that left the factory went on to dress like a scarecrow.

No, I've been calling it Long Life Town since the first episode, or at least I was trying to if I misspoke or stumbled over my words.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Police Man handles any lost items. He has a quirk where his rate of fire is based on how close you are to him. It is fun to run around him while his Emperor Stand revolver is firing like a semi-auto.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Ah, neat, a new Chulip LP. This will make Chulip one of only a few games to get all three of the major subtypes of video LP. Chorps did the more jokes-centric, podcast-style LP, Jamesman did a fairly thorough informative LP sometime back in the paleolithic era, and now we've got a blind LP. Given the sheer scope and raw weirdness of Chulip, it feels appropriate that so many people have approached it from all these different angles over the years.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Scalding Coffee posted:

Police Man handles any lost items. He has a quirk where his rate of fire is based on how close you are to him. It is fun to run around him while his Emperor Stand revolver is firing like a semi-auto.
Thanks for the tips regarding him. Gonna have to try that latter one out sometime...

EclecticTastes posted:

Ah, neat, a new Chulip LP. This will make Chulip one of only a few games to get all three of the major subtypes of video LP. Chorps did the more jokes-centric, podcast-style LP, Jamesman did a fairly thorough informative LP sometime back in the paleolithic era, and now we've got a blind LP. Given the sheer scope and raw weirdness of Chulip, it feels appropriate that so many people have approached it from all these different angles over the years.
Well, I hope you enjoy my clumsy LP, I just wish I didn't feel the need to look up how to do some of these kisses with the Undergorund Residents. Like I would never have figured out how to deal with Turtle Boy on my own, at least not in a timely fashion.

Part 9 - Kisses and Nudity

A bit of a shorter video, but I managed to get three kisses in so I'm satisfied with it. But really, gently caress Eggplant Boy. I'm starting to run out of Underground Residents I can kiss at the moment, with only four or five outside of Funny Bones Factory I can get at all. And while I at least know how to get started in helping with the alien, I still need to work together what to do with the other two areas, Worldly Desire Temple and Funny Bones Factory. I think I at least made a bit of progress with the former by getting the Monk to actually talk to me and him wanting to meet me in town, and I'm hoping it will lead to what I must do with the bell situation. Once I get all the other stuff done, I'll work on Funny Bones Factory, as well as getting kisses from those above-ground, since those seem to all require a bit more work and thought than the Underground Residents.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They did add a censor texture on Melvin during localization.

The cost of the comic affects how much time passes per reading. Here is the Marvel comic review we didn't see.

You might want to use those name cards to get info on the overground residents.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Just finished catching up to this LP. This game is certainly a weird one. The most surprising thing is that they bothered to release it outside Japan.

Let me get this straight: The main plot is that Melvin wants to get Sephiroth, so he needs the love letter. The letter is then stolen, so we have to get them back. Is that right? Everything else in the videos are optional?

I haven't watched the other LPs so I guess I'll be following this one blind, too.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

1234567890num posted:

Just finished catching up to this LP. This game is certainly a weird one. The most surprising thing is that they bothered to release it outside Japan.

Let me get this straight: The main plot is that Melvin wants to get Sephiroth, so he needs the love letter. The letter is then stolen, so we have to get them back. Is that right? Everything else in the videos are optional?

I haven't watched the other LPs so I guess I'll be following this one blind, too.

I mean, kind of. There are times where damage is difficult to impossible to avoid, so you'll want to get those Underground Residents to make sure your level's high enough to tank any hits you can't avoid, but that's more of a "soft" requirement. As for the rest, I wouldn't want to say.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Scalding Coffee posted:

The cost of the comic affects how much time passes per reading.
Yeah, I figured that out when I saw there were three comics to choose from. I just didn't expect the most expensive one to suddenly just get torn in half like that.

1234567890num posted:

Close, the letter that Melvin first wrote was really terrible because his heart power isn't up to snuff. But before he could get it up high enough, the telephone pole guy (Yamada) stole the letter writing kit, which in turn got stolen by the other three faces-on-objects people. Why Melvin can't just write his love letter on scrap paper is beyond me, but then I guess there wouldn't be a plot otherwise. And what EclecticTastes said, leveling up is pretty important because high-damage situations are almost everywhere, and in some cases are mandatory to complete certain parts of the story or get other kisses.

Part 10 - Kisses and Law Trouble

Well, I made a bit more progress than I expected here, and I believe I may have figured out the next logical step in the bell subplot. I really do need to move on from Underground Residents considering there's only a few outside of the factory I can kiss at the moment. Still have to hunt down more of those alien dictionaries so I can find out what else the alien needs from me, though I suppose I can just try handing him anything I can get my hands on out of desperation if need be. I had honestly almost forgotten all about the character cards until Scalding Coffee brought them back up again, so I'll need to collect more of those to work out how to get more kisses from those living above ground. I at the very least have a starting point on some of them, like Cheapot and Dr. Dandy. What can be a bit frustrating is I sometimes get snippets just small enough for subplots and sidequests, but not enough to figure out a step-by-step plan.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
You know, you'd have a much a much easier time saving money if you had bought the train pass as soon as it was available like I had told you to a page ago. I already said that doing so would not crash the game like you seem to think so there was no reason not to get ASAP you're spending so much on train tickets not doing so.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Chimera-gui posted:

You know, you'd have a much a much easier time saving money if you had bought the train pass as soon as it was available like I had told you to a page ago. I already said that doing so would not crash the game like you seem to think so there was no reason not to get ASAP you're spending so much on train tickets not doing so.
But I did buy it. I've had it for several videos now.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Sorry, I haven't gone though the backlog.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If you want a sure kiss, the Invisible Man does not rely on RNG, but be careful when stalking him at the correct path.

If you didn't guess already, smoking leaves you with one heart.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Okay, finished the backlog and you need to finish Michelle and Dandy's subplots before they become useful. And the Graveyard is why you don't want to have the pass in your inventory when you're taken there as it's in Worldly Desire Temple and it happens as soon as you get the third crime stamp.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 12, 2018

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Scalding Coffee posted:

If you want a sure kiss, the Invisible Man does not rely on RNG, but be careful when stalking him at the correct path.

If you didn't guess already, smoking leaves you with one heart.
Are you sure you get a kiss from him? I followed him all around in today's video and just got money, granted a decent amount of it.

And I guess it's a good thing I probably never have to use it again, poo poo gave me a heart attack.

Chimera-gui posted:

Okay, finished the backlog and you need to finish Michelle and Dandy's subplots before they become useful. And the Graveyard is why you don't want to have the pass in your inventory when you're taken there as it's in Worldly Desire Temple and it happens as soon as you get the third crime stamp.
I didn't realize those two could even BE useful, unless you mean in terms of showing them cards, since Michelle just tries to take it before changing her mind.

Part 11 - Love Ink

Another four kisses down and getting one piece of the Love Letter Set. I'd consider that some good progress. At this point, outside of the Funny Bones Factory, the only Underground Resident I have left to get a kiss from that is that thief guy in Long Life Town. The next video will probably include more above-ground kisses, or at least me trying to work towards them. It seems I'm still not quite done with the Worldly Desire Temple since I've yet to get a kiss from Bell yet and I don't know what the deal with that tiny bell spirit is, or that cave behind the waterfall. Soon I'm gonna run out of stuff I can do without just getting name cards for every Long Life Town citizen and using them on everyone else. I want to at least get Ad Balloon and Thief Tip Toe IV's kisses next video, though I'll probably have to just look up what to do with the latter case.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

TheLoneStar posted:

Are you sure you get a kiss from him? I followed him all around in today's video and just got money, granted a decent amount of it.

Not only does he not kiss you, he's totally unnecessary; this is the only LP in which he appears (unless I've forgotten more of Jamesman's LP than I realize). I didn't even know he existed until you found him.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I was misleading you. I didn't want you grinding so much early on to get the pass, without getting a chunk of cash that would make it easier on you. If you only looted trash cans in LLT, I was worried you would be burned out, because the payout is poo poo.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

EclecticTastes posted:

Not only does he not kiss you, he's totally unnecessary; this is the only LP in which he appears (unless I've forgotten more of Jamesman's LP than I realize). I didn't even know he existed until you found him.
Yeah, if I recall right I just happened to pass by him and I decided to investigate the weird question mark that cropped up out of nowhere. Didn't realize I could get more from him until Scalding Coffee brought him up.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I was misleading you. I didn't want you grinding so much early on to get the pass, without getting a chunk of cash that would make it easier on you. If you only looted trash cans in LLT, I was worried you would be burned out, because the payout is poo poo.
I mean, you could have just told me I'd get a fat sack of cash from the Invisible Man and I would've done it anyway. Also, I tend to root around in the trash can in Scarecrow Field when I grind for cash since it tends to give better loot. Now with my permanent free pass, I can go back and forth between location without spending a dime which certainly helps. The main reason I waited so long to do the Invisible Man thing was because I was just preoccupied doing a bunch of other stuff.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Yeah, you're only half done with the WDT subplot and you need to finish it completely before you can kiss Thief Tip Toe or the cop.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 12 - The Monk's Possession

Well I'm happy with today's video. Another five kisses in the basket, and it seems I'm all done with the Worldly Desire Temple area, aside from using it as a way to get to the Funny Bone Factory. I had been thinking recently how I seemed to have gotten used to the game, like I was now numb to all the strange or surprising things it could throw at me. Pleasantly so, I was proven wrong here. Two familial disputes, one ending in violence, exorcism, sword fights, and Leo proving even stone lion statues can be terrifying. It does almost seem like I'm going to be at the endgame soon, the Alien subplot will probably be easy to wrap up in an episode or two, and then I just have to take care of the stuff at Funny Bone Factory, and I already have the code to the vault. Then, I assume, after that I just go get to the Lover's Tree and get a kiss from Sefiroth and call it a playthrough.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Now you are able to get both the Tip Toe and Cop kisses.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can guess why the crane didn't attack you and he would have done so much earlier.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Chimera-gui posted:

Now you are able to get both the Tip Toe and Cop kisses.
Alright good, I was hoping that'd be the case.

Scalding Coffee posted:

You can guess why the crane didn't attack you and he would have done so much earlier.
Oh yeah, didn't think of that. Of course me actually finding that area never would've happened any earlier.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 13 - Melvin's Arrest

Yeah, I was not happy with this part. While getting Michelle's kiss went off without a hitch, I felt I had an embarrassingly hard time working out what to do with the Thief and the key. I honestly never even noticed that tiny green box behind Julie's bar. I was looking for a larger, more stereotypical safe or something like that. The Thief guy vanishing into thin air certainly didn't help matters and I still have zero idea what happened there. As for the button puzzle in the prison, I now know what I have to do in order to solve it, and it feels so obvious now that I look back on it. On a brighter note, I at least (probably) have another item that the Alien needs for his spaceship, and I think that maybe the third piece might be another piece of junk found in the garbage since I really can't think of what else it could be. Like I doubt it would be a food item so it's probably a tire or a refrigerator, since a broken telescope is apparently not correct.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I said you needed healing items to face tank.
There is a fail state in the graveyard by being in a certain tight area at night where you meet a resident. Don't think you can accidentally do it, but you learn something about meeting him.
The alien was a weird thing to figure out, even by knowing what it wants. Maybe it is something you buy.

edit: Nope.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 18, 2018

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
*Her assuming you're referring to the character you find in the same area Voodoo Doll's hole was at which I'm assuming you are.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 18, 2018

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 14 - Zombie Mika

Okay, I was not expecting to meet a zombie that whisks me away to the Spirit World(?) and offering me deadly tea. Have to say, really started to feel bad for her by the last conversation, memory loss is some brutal poo poo. It was nice to finally make visible progress with the Alien subplot though, and I plan to finally wrap that up in the next video. I've found out where the third flower is, it's found in Scarecrow Field, and will also finish up Mika's kiss in the next video. I guess after that I'll finally move on to making progress in Funny Bone Factory. First I'll become the boss or CEO or whatever, then work on getting the kisses from that area.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Not mentioned in the manual; if you sit down from idling, press buttons that don't make you move.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I'd also note that you when give Suzuki each piece of the set, you get kicked to the next day so it's a good idea to give his each as soon as you get it.

By the by, the the Fresh Mint is by the dumpsite in scarecrow fields.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 21, 2018

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Scalding Coffee posted:

Not mentioned in the manual; if you sit down from idling, press buttons that don't make you move.
I wish I even had the manual, would've probably helped out a lot.

Chimera-gui posted:

I'd also note that you when give Suzuki each piece of the set, you get kicked to the next day so it's a good idea to give his each as soon as you get it.
Didn't even think about that before, though doesn't seem all too helpful.

Part 15 - Love Paper and Love Fountain Pen

Did not expect to finally get the last two Love Letter Set pieces in one video, but I'm glad I did. Can't believe I hosed up with the Alien puzzle, but that Space Invader Easter Egg almost made up for it. Almost. Comparing the alien and temple subplots, it's surprising how easy the factory one is. It was a lot shorter and a lot easier, with one of the more extensive parts just involving me putting in the numbers into that train. Didn't expect to catch that Seρor Pink guy right outside the vault, but I'm glad I did. At this point I can maybe get the rest of the playthrough done in about three videos or so, with the most major obstacles being Dr. Dandy and Jigsaw with all the annoying RNG involved with those two kisses.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Yeah, there's a reason the game is packaged with a full walk-through booklet.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The manual incorrectly solves the space invaders puzzle.

Tell Mr. Hyde what blood type he prefers. It may be important to know later.

Your Cards are important for end game. If you ask all the residents in each map about each other, it will help you finish the end game. You will be punished for not using this item a whole lot. Try using them on the rear end in a top hat teachers and get some insight on why they are such dicks.

The banana is your best healing item.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Scalding Coffee posted:

Your Cards are important for end game. If you ask all the residents in each map about each other, it will help you finish the end game. You will be punished for not using this item a whole lot. Try using them on the rear end in a top hat teachers and get some insight on why they are such dicks.
Ah, so there's a quiz of some kind then. I think a lot of my running around and card showing I'll do between videos, though.

Part 16 - You're Fired

I didn't get all the kisses I was hoping for, but I still feel like I made some decent progress in this video. All I really have to do in the Funny Bone Factory is get Jigsaw's kiss and I can cross that area off the list too. Hopefully I'll be able to finish up this playthrough in about two more videos, with just Jigsaw, Bayonetta, and Dr. Dandy left to go before the endgame. Jigsaw seems like the biggest loving annoying in the game so far. According to the Chulip wiki at least, there's a 1% chance of finding the correct piece each time he spawns a set of pieces. Like I know Chulip likes to be difficult at times but that just takes it to another level. At least he's the last Underground Resident.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You really should check the outhouse because the guard craps something that might be useful.
Confirmed: You may have to talk to the fortune-teller, who tells you to look in the trash for something. Two important items in the manure pile. That could be the trigger. That might be why you have trouble finding the video.

Follow Mr. Hyde into the hospital when he is done doing his rounds at night.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 25, 2018

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Catching up on the videos after falling behind: The chapter title card when you hand over the Love Ink says "Until you die, life is suffering." The word for suffering is a bit of an idiom, 四苦八苦 (shikuhakku), which refers to the four and eight kinds of suffering in Buddhism. It's also the source of a numeric pun, because "ku" written another way can mean nine, so "4989" can be read the same way, but that doesn't happen in this game.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Scalding Coffee posted:

You really should check the outhouse because the guard craps something that might be useful.
Confirmed: You may have to talk to the fortune-teller, who tells you to look in the trash for something. Two important items in the manure pile. That could be the trigger. That might be why you have trouble finding the video.

Follow Mr. Hyde into the hospital when he is done doing his rounds at night.
Seems like I was too late. I went back to the outhouse, or at least one of them and just got poop.
Two items? I actually did finally manage to get the film can after trying over and over, but what's the other thing?

I'll assume that gives a hint on what to do to kiss him.

Nidoking posted:

Catching up on the videos after falling behind: The chapter title card when you hand over the Love Ink says "Until you die, life is suffering." The word for suffering is a bit of an idiom, 四苦八苦 (shikuhakku), which refers to the four and eight kinds of suffering in Buddhism. It's also the source of a numeric pun, because "ku" written another way can mean nine, so "4989" can be read the same way, but that doesn't happen in this game.
Well, that's good to know, if a bit needlessly depressing. Is there any rhyme or reason to these that you know of? Because that first chapter title card was also really odd.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The poop might also be RNG, because Chulip.

The other item was supposedly an expensive ring. I don't know why I edited that out. I know it exists from the Jamesman LP. He didn't seem to show where he found it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
Jigsaw is the hardest kiss if you don't know what to do, he gave me so much trouble. The 10-15 minutes it takes every time to do the tour to get to him makes it so much worse too.

The outhouse poop is definitely random. You'd have to get the lazy guard message at the last section and then hide by the outhouse, and even then it's not guaranteed that you'll get the result SC is talking about.

The manure pile though? THE worst RNG in the game by a mile, and that is saying something. I'm not sure if the fortune teller is helpful for getting the ring in there, he could be bullshitting for all I know. There is one other way to get an expensive ring without relying on chance, but it is just as tedious, if not more so. You need to be at the max level for it too, so you'd have to get it around the endgame when it doesn't matter anymore. The devs really don't want you to get that ring.

• Locked thread