Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Donnerberg posted:

Is all of season 3 going to be about loving around in the city with boring rear end politics and the occasional hacking at each other with swords and steampunk guns, or are we going to see some human on titan and titan on titan action soon?

Nope. (mild manga spoilers) This arc of the story will mostly be human vs human, but it gets a lot more interesting near the end, and some Titan action happens. Then after that comes the attempt to retake Shiganshina which is loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Thank you very much, I needed that boost to get me through this.

It's not that it's bad at the moment. It's just different from what I was looking forward to.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Donnerberg posted:

Thank you very much, I needed that boost to get me through this.

It's not that it's bad at the moment. It's just different from what I was looking forward to.

Honestly if you don't like the conspiracy parts of this show, I suggest jumping off now. The manga shifted into more of a political drama right around this time and you gotta get on board with that if you want to enjoy what comes.

See how you feel by the end of the season, which will have super cool stuff I'm sure, but you gotta make peace with the fact there will be a lot more talking only episodes from this point on.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Its interesting how all of a sudden humans are absolutely more dangerous than titans. Even than the human titans.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Alright. I'm way into mechas, and the titans were basically flesh mechs, but simply knowing that the show will be different now makes me feel less blueballed.

That backstory we got in 40 was arguably even darker than Mikasa's. For one thing, I'd like to see how their plan plays out, but I also think Historia is carrying some serious baggage that could make her a terrible queen.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Woof, 3 episodes into the new season and only 3 pages in this thread... does nobody watch anymore or is everyone reading the manga now? Is anyone out there?

I can't hear you!

(There's some real gif-worthy stuff in ep 2 but I'm wondering if anyone even cares to see 'em.)

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Still here and doing a first-run watch with my spouse (the first and second season viewings we're my second or third time through each one). Discussing this stuff with a writing-savvy partner is definitely more fun.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Based on this most recent episode, it seems like the reason that Titans are constantly eating people is because they (either consciously or subconsciously) want to eat a Titan Shifter.

The episode also mentions that this allows the Titan to gain the powers of the person they consume. However, other than Eren's coordination and Annie's hardening, have we seen any other powers? More specifically, does every intelligent Titan have a power? Certain things, such as armor, being colossal, or having hair, seem more like attributes than an actual power.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Let's gif it up!
https://i.imgur.com/cgi6kQ3.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/ESJUEeQ.gifv

I love how you think the brightness is broken until you realize he's in shadows the whole time.

https://i.imgur.com/C75bg5h.gifv

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 7, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DaveKap posted:

Let's gif it up!

I love how you think the brightness is broken until you realize he's in shadows the whole time.

Extremely good animation this time round, much better than previously imo. Real good sense of momentum too.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Brutakas posted:

The episode also mentions that this allows the Titan to gain the powers of the person they consume. However, other than Eren's coordination and Annie's hardening, have we seen any other powers? More specifically, does every intelligent Titan have a power? Certain things, such as armor, being colossal, or having hair, seem more like attributes than an actual power.

Colossal Titan has greater control over its mass-energy, as evidenced by its ability to nearly instantaneously manifest and likewise disappear without leaving a body behind, as well as emit pressurized steam as a defensive measure.

In addition to hardening, the Female Titan could also summon titans to herself with her scream.

Beast Titan had the ability to direct other titans with a seemingly high degree of control (ordering both individual titans and groups to attack, stop, speed up in pursuit, etc), and could also speak and make uncannily human facial expressions.

Aside from the Coordinate, Eren's titan form has displayed much faster healing than the other shifters (able to fully regenerate his oft-destroyed hands in just a few seconds), and while it might not be something exclusive to him and rather than a power be a side-effect of his inexperience, his titan form also goes on auto-pilot.

But for Reiner and Ymir, yeah their distinct abilities seem to be passive attributes rather than 'activated' powers, though Reiner was shown to be able to discard his armor for the sake of increased mobility, and it wouldn't be a stretch to expect he could also quickly regenerate it or even reinforce further if the situation demanded.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that with the end credits music in ep 2, I'm super happy. Brings me back to the first two season openers and I'm glad they didn't completely abandon the style.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DaveKap posted:

Let's gif it up!

This is an extremely pro run of Sonic Unleashed.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

DaveKap posted:

The brightness is in fact broken by the broadcaster auto-adjust - he only goes in shadow at the end.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Oh, my, I hadn't realized I had posted spoilers earlier. I specifically tried to do the opposite :suicide: My apologies to those who may have saw 'em. That being the case, I think I'll bow out of discussing the anime to be on the safe side.

I could watch Levi get smacked in the head by splintering wood all day. What a gorgeous sequence.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Conspiratiorist posted:

The brightness is in fact broken by the broadcaster auto-adjust - he only goes in shadow at the end.
Well poo poo... the broadcaster? Like... the TV station itself, my video player, or somewhere in between?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's common practice. It's not law or anything, but ever since the Porygon episode of Pokemon all those years back, action/scenes with quick movement and flashing lights may be darkened (and then removed for the blu-ray releases). It's not law, as I said, it's mostly to avoid the possibility that it might happen again and cause more problems. You'll see it a lot more in series aimed at kids, like Hero Academia.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I’ve been watching on Hulu. Are there sources that don’t do the dimming? It does get a little distracting.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Professor Wayne posted:

I’ve been watching on Hulu. Are there sources that don’t do the dimming? It does get a little distracting.

Wait for the bluray.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

For a long time I thought my friend's TV had really bad auto-brightness

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It gets even worse on a TV with really bad auto-brightness :v:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Crazy how it took me this long to ever notice it, especially considering the zappy transformation lights this show can do.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Brutakas posted:

Based on this most recent episode, it seems like the reason that Titans are constantly eating people is because they (either consciously or subconsciously) want to eat a Titan Shifter.

It could be that simple, but that's not what the story is really telling. I suspect basic titanism, shifting and coordinating are all remnants of an older biological warfare program. They're all a part of the same serum slightly altered to implement different purposes. Those original purposes are probably lost, but what they're used for now is what really matters, like basic titanism being used as punishment for dissent.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

DaveKap posted:

Let's gif it up!

This really needs to be its own series without the titans and the other stuff. Just honest and out in the open wire-fu mayhem fights between spidermen and women slinging all over the place while they shoot each other or - I dunno, throw gas powered hooks and blades at each other.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i can't imagine that quality of animation is terribly sustainable for a whole series

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It would also get tiring after more than half a minute tbh

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i dunno about that

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Imagine thinking that what Titan needs is more panning stills with mouth flaps

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Eej posted:

Imagine thinking that what Titan needs is more panning stills with mouth flaps

I seem to recall a number of them in season one that didn't even have mouth flaps while they were talking. It's amazing how much better the show looked in season two, even when they had to break out similar shots.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

This season is flying by and I'm loving it

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Too bad the thread is dead. Won't stop me making gifs, though!

https://i.imgur.com/wO7PaiD.gifv

Also, looking forward to the slowest plot being done next episode so we can hurry back to some action! (This is speculation but that preview makes it seem like it's over)

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 14, 2018

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I love the show, I just don't have much to say because I'm all caught up on the manga and the more interesting stuff is still probably several episodes away. I suspect others are in the same boat. The animation is stellar so far and Hange is still the best.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

And I'm feeling better about the story now after your posts last week.

It's nice to see bowl cut guy return. I wonder if he'll live long enough to meet Eren. That's a meeting I want to see.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

For those who are also reading the manga, does Annie ever get out of the crystal? Just a yes or no answer is fine i’m curious if she’ll return

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lube Enthusiast posted:

For those who are also reading the manga, does Annie ever get out of the crystal? Just a yes or no answer is fine i’m curious if she’ll return
There is no answer to your question yet.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Queering Wheel posted:

I love the show, I just don't have much to say because I'm all caught up on the manga and the more interesting stuff is still probably several episodes away. I suspect others are in the same boat. The animation is stellar so far and Hange is still the best.
Hange has always been great, but they are more awesome than usual this season. I look forward to more crazy plans.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

DaveKap posted:

Woof, 3 episodes into the new season and only 3 pages in this thread... does nobody watch anymore or is everyone reading the manga now? Is anyone out there?

I can't hear you!

(There's some real gif-worthy stuff in ep 2 but I'm wondering if anyone even cares to see 'em.)

I've been loving the action scenes so far, will post more when I'm caught up

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Yeah, as the only person on earth who hasnt and wont read the Manga I'll post some predictions as of episode 4.

The secret king is actually a Titan and wants to eat Eren for himself.
Anne, Berdholt and Reimer are from a rebel faction fighting against the King's faction (easy guess)
Historia and Eren's blonde friend are gonna hook up
Kenny will eventually join the good guys to bring down the secret titan government
And the way that Erwin gets out of being executed is also going to be another secret titan shift reveal.

I was so jazzed by the Reimer and Bertoldt reveals last season that I expect a loving awesome reveal every episode

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 17, 2018

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Yeah, as the only person on earth who hasnt and wont read the Manga I'll post some predictions as of episode 4.

Anne, Berdholt and Reimer are from a rebel faction fighting against the King's faction (easy guess)
Kenny will eventually join the good guys to bring down the secret titan government
And the way that Erwin gets out of being executed is also going to be another secret titan shift reveal.

I was so jazzed by the Reimer and Bertoldt reveals last season that I expect a loving awesome reveal every episode

'Sup, fellow non-manga reader. My theorizing:

Do you mean the "secret king" as in Reiss? He doesn't seem to have any power, so I'm not sure how he would have the pull to make things happen. Possibly the acting king wants to control Eren's power, and thus thinks that if Reiss (who seems to be under his control) eats Eren, that's good enough. Of course, that raises other questions: is Reiss a titan, or does he have some other power to inherit Eren's power, or is the acting king have incomplete information? I have no idea how Historia ties into this. I can believe that the acting king might want to eat Eren as a way of somehow solidifying his power.

I think the shifters from Outside the Walls are trying to get the Coordinate so they can control the titans, to bring down the walls, destroy the resisting pocket of humanity, whatever (if they even know what the final goal is). I don't think they know about the acting king/secret king situation, and they're probably ignorant of the political situation in general. They will not show up before the military/political situation plays out.

I'm pretty sure Historia is going to be damaged by Ymir's leaving and will be doing the "I'm totally damaged/don't deserve love, people who say they love me are lying" thing for the foreseeable future. No hooking up with anyone. (My guess here is based on the tone and imagery of the ending credits.)

No idea about Kenny's fate, but I see him more as a mercenary than anything else. Whoever he thinks can promise him security after the dust settles will get his talents.

Erwin will get out of being executed, and it will be horribly ballsy. Either the coup happens just in time, or everything goes to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

As another non-reader, let me :speculate:

I'm thinking "last bastion of humanity" within the walls is actually a big scam set up for the 1% who use all of the people as chattle. The closer we get to the interior, the better tech we start to see. At the outer wall they were basically medieval. Inside Maria starts to look more like the 18th/19th century. The super rich probably set it all up as some kind of North Korean-style state, with everything flowing to Dear Leader and the Inner Party. Reiner, Bertoto, and Annie seem to be exiles from the outside (perhaps born there, or are they hundreds of years old like Ymir?), looking to break down the super rich's enclave and steal back titan powers. I'm guessing if they knew Eren was the ~coordinate~ they would have eaten him and dipped a long time ago.

Maybe Eren's dad stole it from the government and hid it in his son? It seems like titan powers are passed when a titan eats a human ala Ymir's comments, so Eren's dad may get shittiest parent ever award.

Mikasa's hot take means her and Kenny are related, I guess?

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Yeah, looking forward to some more big plot reveals (basement this season?), but I'm guessing it's going to slow burn until the second half of the season.

Maera Sior posted:

'Sup, fellow non-manga reader. My theorizing:

Do you mean the "secret king" as in Reiss? He doesn't seem to have any power, so I'm not sure how he would have the pull to make things happen. Possibly the acting king wants to control Eren's power, and thus thinks that if Reiss (who seems to be under his control) eats Eren, that's good enough. Of course, that raises other questions: is Reiss a titan, or does he have some other power to inherit Eren's power, or is the acting king have incomplete information? I have no idea how Historia ties into this. I can believe that the acting king might want to eat Eren as a way of somehow solidifying his power.

I think the shifters from Outside the Walls are trying to get the Coordinate so they can control the titans, to bring down the walls, destroy the resisting pocket of humanity, whatever (if they even know what the final goal is). I don't think they know about the acting king/secret king situation, and they're probably ignorant of the political situation in general.

I'm pretty sure Historia is going to be damaged by Ymir's leaving and will be doing the "I'm totally damaged/don't deserve love, people who say they love me are lying" thing for the foreseeable future. No hooking up with anyone. (My guess here is based on the tone and imagery of the ending credits.)

No idea about Kenny's fate, but I see him more as a mercenary than anything else. Whoever he thinks can promise him security after the dust settles will get his talents.

Erwin will get out of being executed, and it will be horribly ballsy. Either the coup happens just in time, or everything goes to poo poo.

I dunno...Ol' Armothy may bite the big one now that he can't fly around with the other scouts. It would make for a shocking moment. :asoiaf: