Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Sam Faust posted:

Isn't that just them reading about the huge sea next to a small lake?

Ok, I forgot about the rivers and lakes. The wall looked dirtier than the city walls so I assumed it was the one at sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm really glad for the anime adaptation. In the manga Floch was one of many Jean look-alikes and didn't show up often enough to be worth remembering. The faster pacing of the anime and it making him visually distinctive enough from other background characters give his speech here much more weight.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Donnerberg posted:

Ok, I forgot about the rivers and lakes. The wall looked dirtier than the city walls so I assumed it was the one at sea.

I thought you were making fun that the original shot (from S1 EP7) didn't have Mikasa in it.

The location is the kids' hangout spot by the river, inside Shiganshina:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Alright, it's time to watch the whole show again from the start. There's probably a lot that I missed or forgot.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Conspiratiorist posted:

I love this part of the story and the episode was very well executed, but I have a some words to say given how they cut the Owl's and Grisha's conversation a little short here; in the manga, the Owl points out that Ymir couldn't have been the saint that the old texts he handed to the Restorationists portrayed her as. Paraphrasing: "She brought nothing but wealth and prosperity, with this power? Does that sound like a real person to you?". On the same beat, he also points out that if Eldia had engaged in the ethnic cleansing of other peoples for 1,700 years then there wouldn't be any Marleyans alive today (let alone a historically contiguous nation of Marley to rise up and become a world power within a few years of the Eldian Empire collapsing).

This is segued into from his assertion that there's no "truth" (because time and circumstance has denied them the chance to ever uncover it), and informs more firmly that he's taken the empirical view he posited - that Ymir must've been just a girl who came upon a power that defies current human understanding. "Anyone can become a God or a Devil" and its obvious corollary, that both Gods and Devils are in the end just people, have long been running themes of the series.

It's not much, but I believe the full exchange serves to flesh out this character more, and the rapport he establishes with Grisha; at the end of his life he had abandoned his desire for vengeance, as well as any illusions that his actions were in pursuit of some greater destiny or the revival of some forgotten glorious history. The mission he has Grisha inherit is then taking on the responsibility of protecting and restoring the dignity of their people, not out of hatred for their enemies, nor for glory, but for sympathy to their plight. For love. It's why he tells Grisha he must find something to love within those walls.

It's why, many years later, Grisha tells his young son he'll show him what's in the basement "once you've realized what's most important."

Thanks for this, makes that whole scene a lot better.

Great season. Maybe my favorite beach episode ever.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
What was the reasoning the owl had for not saving Dina/the others exactly? Was that also more fleshed out in the manga?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Thinking of watching the dub to see if the translation has any nuance from the sub, but I am worried about everyone sounding different...is this a good idea y/n?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Surprisingly Dope posted:

What was the reasoning the owl had for not saving Dina/the others exactly? Was that also more fleshed out in the manga?

A bit.

And this gem mentioned earlier in the thread:

He also tells Grisha that he kept knowledge of the Curse of Ymir from the Restorationists because the info he fed them was intended to boost their morale, and Grisha would've surely hesitated to implement his plan to use Zeke had he known about it.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

He could only transfer his titan to one person, and without it no one would be able to cross the miles and miles of titan country. And they couldn't exactly go back across the sea, and not just because Kruger had just destroyed all the ships, although it was certainly a big part of it.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

And you can also make the argument that Kruger's unspoken backup plan was that, even if Grisha got eaten on the way, whichever titan did so would subsequently inherit the Attack Titan and their memories.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Rewatch. Season 1, episode 3, after Eren face plants due to the broken 3D gear.

His wound is steaming. This loving show, man. The nerve to hide this stuff in plain sight. I love it!

It isn't even accurate to call it "hiding". The camera focuses on the steam. This is teasing, if not taunting the viewer.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 1, 2019

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
So, before the Owl started dropping plot bombs, he kicked that Marley officer over the precipice. You see a titan pick that guy up and start chomping on him. Later on, though, you see the body of that officer on the ground. It's not really clear, but it seems like maybe he was just bitten and then dropped on the ground. The titan didn't consume his flesh. Is that a huge loving deal? Are titans only compelled to consume Eldian flesh?

It really seems like the Marley people figured out how to program the coordinate with a couple of ideas. First off, don't go to war with Marley, ever. Second of all, compel all titans to eat Eldians. The noble bloodline close to the king, and the 9 shifters, were the only ones immune to the commands coming from the king.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Maxwell Adams posted:

So, before the Owl started dropping plot bombs, he kicked that Marley officer over the precipice. You see a titan pick that guy up and start chomping on him. Later on, though, you see the body of that officer on the ground. It's not really clear, but it seems like maybe he was just bitten and then dropped on the ground. The titan didn't consume his flesh. Is that a huge loving deal? Are titans only compelled to consume Eldian flesh?

It really seems like the Marley people figured out how to program the coordinate with a couple of ideas. First off, don't go to war with Marley, ever. Second of all, compel all titans to eat Eldians. The noble bloodline close to the king, and the 9 shifters, were the only ones immune to the commands coming from the king.

The titan only half ate the officer, which isn't exactly uncommon, particularly for small ones.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

The titan only half ate the officer, which isn't exactly uncommon, particularly for small ones.

Like Marco.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
If this series actually explores the possibility of nations committing counter genocides in response to horrors inflicted on them in the frankly excellent way it has treated this entire conflict I will be beyond impressed.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Maxwell Adams posted:

The noble bloodline close to the king, and the 9 shifters, were the only ones immune to the commands coming from the king.

You've got it wrong here- remember that Frieda was able to freely modify Historia's memories. Royal bloodline itself grants no imunity. What does is either being a shifter, not sharing the blood of the people of Ymir (the nobility inside the walls are the various minority bloodlines who evacuated Eldia together with the king and were granted higher standing in return for helping keep up the official narrative), or being an Ackerman.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
I wonder when Zeke became a shifter/how old he is exactly. Going off him being like 6 when he turned his parents in he should be in his mid 20s now I think? But he seems a lot older, maybe he just looks it. I also wonder how the beast titan works since it seems like it has abilities similar to the coordinate.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Maxwell Adams posted:

No, Titans are compelled to consume all humans, they just throw away or vomit up ones that aren’t shifters. That’s one of the reasons Eldia was able to use them as such effective biological weapons. In the manga, that death scene was much more explicitly shown: the Titan started biting the man’s face off while (what looked like) making eye contact with Grisha.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I wonder when Zeke became a shifter/how old he is exactly. Going off him being like 6 when he turned his parents in he should be in his mid 20s now I think? But he seems a lot older, maybe he just looks it. I also wonder how the beast titan works since it seems like it has abilities similar to the coordinate.

He's definitely ~25 with a kickass beard.

This is just my speculation, but I imagine he feels he looks too much like his dad while clean-shaven.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Catalina posted:

That’s one of the reasons Eldia was able to use them as such effective biological weapons.

Well it's why they were effective for Marley. We don't really know too much of what they said about Eldia is true. (Though I would presume they did use Titans as weapons.)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well it's why they were effective for Marley. We don't really know too much of what they said about Eldia is true. (Though I would presume they did use Titans as weapons.)

They apparently turned a few thousand peasants into a giant ring of walls so I'm sure using them as cannon fodder was NBD to pre-conquest Eldia. :shrug:

That said, for sure everything we know about the past is propaganda, from both Marley and the restorationists. I wonder if we will ever get (historical) Ymir's story or if the past will remain uncovered ("To you, in two thousand years...").

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

e: NO. SPOILERS. :colbert:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

This isn't the right thread for that at all

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

In the old Eldian empire, the Beast Titan must've been the most powerful cause no other titan can launch a 90kg stone over 300 meters.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Well it seems like having royal blood gives bonus power so it could just be that.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

SpartanIvy posted:

Well it seems like having royal blood gives bonus power so it could just be that.

Royal blood doesn't make you a living trebuchet.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

There's also the power up vials, like the one with armor. That seems like a separate thing from the 9 different shifters. The beast titan could be hopped up on extra buffs for all we know.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

ATP_Power posted:

Royal blood doesn't make you a living trebuchet.

...or does it :thunk:

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

ATP_Power posted:

In the old Eldian empire, the Beast Titan must've been the most powerful cause no other titan can launch a 90kg stone over 300 meters.

There certainly seem to be some balance issues. You've got some titans that are complete badasses like Armored, Athletic, and Attack titan. Then you got this little quadruped goober and whatever Ymir is supposed to be.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Also Zeke is the only titan shifter we've seen that can talk as a titan which has got to be a royalty perk.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I want to believe there's been at least some attempt at sciencing their way into getting the kind of titan aspects they want. You don't just have little jars of titan spinal fluid without knowing at least what reactions they're gonna have, and the marleyans have had plenty of time to mess around with them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

They apparently turned a few thousand peasants into a giant ring of walls so I'm sure using them as cannon fodder was NBD to pre-conquest Eldia. :shrug:
they didn't turn a few thousand peasants into wall titans. They turned multiple MILLIONS into wall titans. Remember that this is an entire nation encircled by multiple ringed walls, crammed full of titans t-posing. Someone once did the math ages ago and it'd be at the bare minimum like 6 million colossal titans.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

SpartanIvy posted:

Also Zeke is the only titan shifter we've seen that can talk as a titan which has got to be a royalty perk.

Ymir was able to brokenly talk in titan form, and the quadruped titan also talks.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So approximately as many as Jewish people died in the Holocaust :thunk:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I guess there is a guidebook written by Isayama(based on some quick searching, which you obviously should not do until you catch up with the manga since I was greeted with some major later spoilers despite only searching for wall titan) where they mention that there's a quarter millionish colossal titans inside wall maria, so if you go a bit under tripling that since Maria is by far the largest of the walls, that's about 500-600k colossal titans. Still, uh, apocalyptically huge amounts of them.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Man...much sadness today. :smith:

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Question, What was the last flashback of when Eren touched Historia's hand?

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

After Bert kicked a hole in the walls the first time, Grisha paid the Reiss family a visit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah it's when Grisha stole the founding titan and killed the Reiss family. Seemingly because Freida refused to save the people being wiped out by the titans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Seems like a good reason to me. Really recast a lot of the angst Eren was going through in the first half of season 3 with the whole "my father doomed us" arc.

And it means everything the king was saying to Historia was a lie.