Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
by the way, did anyone get the sense that Frieda intentionally threw the battle against Grisha as a gently caress you to the royals trying to mind control her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Makes more sense with the timeline. Reiss tried to pass off her loss as being "new" to the titan form, but from what Kenny said she must have had it for years.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
She was probably never in a fist fight in her life, while I imagine Grisha must have fought feral Titans on his way to the walls. Being in Titan form doesn't seem pleasant or convenient, so I can't imagine the Reiss's ever spent any real time training to fight. There's a parallel with the military police there.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Yawgmoft posted:

Makes more sense with the timeline. Reiss tried to pass off her loss as being "new" to the titan form, but from what Kenny said she must have had it for years.

On the other hand, Grisha caught them in the crystal chamber, where they hold the ceremony for transitioning. What were they doing in there, if it was not the day Frieda inherited the source titan?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Freakazoid_ posted:

On the other hand, Grisha caught them in the crystal chamber, where they hold the ceremony for transitioning. What were they doing in there, if it was not the day Frieda inherited the source titan?

Who knows but Frieda had explicitly had it for a while at that point.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah Historia's memories of Frieda visiting the ranch were erased which pretty much means it had to have been Frieda herself that was erasing them, which means she'd had the power for at least a few years before the walls fell.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just binged seasons 2 and 3. Holy shitballs. This show got so good. :stare:

ATP_Power posted:

Ymir was able to brokenly talk in titan form, and the quadruped titan also talks.

Even Conny's mom was able to squeak out a word.

Speaking of which, I'm still wondering what happened to that town. Yeah, they were apparently the titans who engaged the scouts in that previous fight, but how the hell did they transform? Did Zeke just schlep gallons of spinal fluid past the wall and targeted the village due to proximity to the battle? And how did he simul-transform all those titans in the battle for the wall? So far, we've only seen shifters able to transform like that without an injection.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Every single one of those questions gets answered next season :v:

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I mean, isn't every titan shifter a walking container of titan spinal fluid?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Yawgmoft posted:

I mean, isn't every titan shifter a walking container of titan spinal fluid?

That would be funny if we just find out that whenever Zeke isn’t on screen, he has a continuous spinal tap going. Though, it would make sense if Marley just has the last of the nine chained up somewhere with a drip hooked up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I assume that Merely just takes out all the spinal fluid they can from a Titan Shifter before they pass on the power, combined with regularly taking samples this would give them a large stockpile.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Wouldn't doing that give them the power of the shifter they are taking it from? We don't see a bunch of monkey titans or armored titans, but there are colossals in the walls so how does that work?

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
i'm not sure those are colossals? Like, they look like the colossal (in that they're huge and have no skin) but that might just be what they look like rather than anything about their nature. Maybe when you make a titan really big the skin just falls off? At the very least there's no evidence to suggest they have the steam-emitting power that I think(?) is the Colossal's actual unique shifter power.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

It's the Colossal Titan not the steam titan :colbert:

He big.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Rod Reiss most likely took a colossal titan cocktail serum.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I want to know why armored, female, and colossal titan all don't have skin, but attack titan does and Zeke has fur on top of skin

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
ymir fritz thought they looked cool

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

ninjewtsu posted:

I want to know why armored, female, and colossal titan all don't have skin, but attack titan does and Zeke has fur on top of skin

For Zeke, it's because he really liked his monkey doll.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I just finished binge watching Season 3 and I cannot start to process what the hell I just watched, but I know it was really drat good. gently caress.

gently caress.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

teagone posted:

I just finished binge watching Season 3 and I cannot start to process what the hell I just watched, but I know it was really drat good. gently caress.

gently caress.

your avatar is quite appropriate here, isn't it?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

your avatar is quite appropriate here, isn't it?

Haha, that it is.

I read that Season 4 next Fall is going to be the series finale. I haven't read the manga, but does the anime series ending align with the manga ending? Or am I going to have to read more to continue the story proper?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Theres 2 major story arcs left. The final season should be in line with the manga's conclusion (which is coming soon).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Perfect! I'll hold off reading the manga until the anime is over then.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

teagone posted:

Perfect! I'll hold off reading the manga until the anime is over then.

I wouldn’t, the anime has cut what I’d consider important and interesting scenes, especially during the Uprising arc. Some of it improved the pacing, sometimes it just resulted in certain actions lacking any context( you won’t really understand why Historia punched Levi for example).

Plus if Studio Wit is out for season 4, we don’t know how the quality is going to hold up. If we’re really unlucky we may get a One Punch Season 2 quality drop

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

re anime changes, the first half of the Uprising arc got reshuffled and condensed. It skips:

- Squad Levi (that is, Eren and co.) interacting with each other while staying at the homestead.
- More in-depth explanation of the results of Eren's titan experiments (cognition, dexterity, uptime, successive transformations limits).
- Erwin having a longer conversation with Nile, and how they both pinned for his now wife when they were younger.
- The sequence in Trost at the beginning of the season is actually two separate events: the Reeves company men are foiled with decoys, but there's no confrontation with the MPs yet (Eren and Historia stay in a safe location).
- Levi having a chat with Reeves to convince him to help the scouts. Actual negotiations, not just threatening him or anything. Reeves then pretends he succeeded with the kidnapping and that's how he lures the MPs that the scouts then go on to capture and interrogate.
- Erwin has a longer and more in-depth discussion with Pixis over the topics they touch upon in the anime.
- This gem

- This other gem

- Since Historia is still around when they come up with the plan to make her queen, rather than just going 'okay' like it's no thing in the anime, she says "no way, that's too much", so Levi loving manhandles and berates her in front of everyone until she accepts. He doesn't abide bullshit.
- It's Reeves who later suggests Historia punch Levi after she becomes queen, in light of how he treated her (he was present).
- The Scouts come up with a plan to have Reeves hand over Eren and Historia to the MPs so that they can then track them to Rod Reiss location. It is during this exchange that Reeves and his men (except for his son) get murdered by Kenny, and then while tracking E&H the Scouts get ambushed by the Kenny's Squad. The battle plays out similar to the anime, but rather than chasing E&H, Levi immediately orders to give up on them and the cart chase scene is instead the MPs pursuing the fleeing Squad Levi.
- Hange and Moblit pulling a Batman sudden appearance act on the journalists to get their cooperation.
- When Historia pauses before taking the serum injection, she mentions (and the manga briefly flashes back) to how sometimes Frieda would act like a different person, saying they were sinners, and get really depressed afterwards. This is what the anime references much later while they're discussing Grisha's books and the Founder's vow to renounce war.

That's about it. From then on it follows the manga almost beat for beat.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Asuron posted:

I wouldn’t, the anime has cut what I’d consider important and interesting scenes, especially during the Uprising arc. Some of it improved the pacing, sometimes it just resulted in certain actions lacking any context( you won’t really understand why Historia punched Levi for example).

Plus if Studio Wit is out for season 4, we don’t know how the quality is going to hold up. If we’re really unlucky we may get a One Punch Season 2 quality drop

Ehh, I'm in no rush to read the manga. And I've only been following the anime so I don't mind waiting. And maaan, that'll suck if Wit isn't going to finish the series out.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

teagone posted:

Ehh, I'm in no rush to read the manga. And I've only been following the anime so I don't mind waiting. And maaan, that'll suck if Wit isn't going to finish the series out.

Pretty sure WIT is still the studio, the season 4 announcement didn't mention them leaving. :shrug:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

- This other gem

Makes the entire season almost totally unwatchable, smh.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Pretty sure WIT is still the studio, the season 4 announcement didn't mention them leaving. :shrug:

There was another announcement prior to that saying season 3 would be wit's final season

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There were certainly rumours but was there any confirmation?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There were certainly rumours but was there any confirmation?

No.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

The last opening is a very slick piece of editing, but I gained a new appreciation when I watched it with the lyrics on and caught some additional things they snuck in. The things you can do when a story gets this layered and the team stays together.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Waiting for the season 3 dlc to the AoT 2 game to go on sale so i can finally start playing it

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Maera Sior posted:

The last opening is a very slick piece of editing, but I gained a new appreciation when I watched it with the lyrics on and caught some additional things they snuck in. The things you can do when a story gets this layered and the team stays together.

About that....

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Trailer for the 4th season just dropped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_OauHnAFc8

I think they're still shooting for October air date.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

ATP_Power posted:

Trailer for the 4th season just dropped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_OauHnAFc8

I think they're still shooting for October air date.

I am actually super hyped with the new characters I cannot place into the timeline, since there has clearly been a timeskip but also hints of some origin story stuff. If the anime had to change hands, this looks like the best possible place to do so.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

:siren:THE TRAILER IS FULL OF SPOILERS SPANNING THE ENTIRE REST OF THE STORY:siren:

You've been warned.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
i'm hype

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
Super hype!

I don’t think the trailer is that bad if you haven’t read the anime. It’s just full of “huh? Nice!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

There's a lot of teases from later in the story, but unless you're going frame by frame and know what you're looking at (I.E. have read the manga) I don't really think they're spoilers any more than any modern trailer 'spoils' what it's previewing.