Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who did you vote for/support in the 2008 presidential election?
Barrack Obama
Ron Paul
Other [please specify]
View Results

• Locked thread
galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I was 17 in 2008, so I couldn't vote, but I was psyched for Obama. He said so many things that gave me the false impression he'd do something, like

Obama posted:

We worship an awesome God in the blue states, and we don't like federal agents poking around our libraries in the red states.

before his government started issuing their own National Security Letters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Oh poo poo, and the saga of Toblerone Triangular

People who aspire to be great, useful trolls need to learn from this man. He became the perfect Ron Paul libertarian - and was clearly insane and catastrophically embarrassing, especially to his fellow Paulogists

His freeform schizophrenia gave us some great turns of phrase, like purestrain gold, and "the Clinton machine, Bill and Hillary"

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

The legend of TT resounds through forums history, touching the lives of all of us who regged in his wake

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
dennis in the primary obama in the general

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Oh poo poo, and the saga of Toblerone Triangular

People who aspire to be great, useful trolls need to learn from this man. He became the perfect Ron Paul libertarian - and was clearly insane and catastrophically embarrassing, especially to his fellow Paulogists

His freeform schizophrenia gave us some great turns of phrase, like purestrain gold, and "the Clinton machine, Bill and Hillary"

:milk: u forgot the best part :sad:

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
i voted for goku

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

I remember how Obama was considered radically left-wing at the time :lol:

i got into an argument with my college professor who said obama was the most left wing senator. i knew it was bullshit but sadly i didnt have the facts at hand to own him

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!
TT indirectly threatened my life once. I consider it one of the high points of my times on these forums.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
At least I got laid the night he won.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

I've been on a kind of '08 nostalgia kick already because the Shiggy challenge has Instagrammers ghost riding tha whip when even back in '08 these grammers were ghost ridin the whip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqsnJ3fUZRI

I remember feeling inspired when I read a transcript of Obama's Knox college commencement address back in 2005:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlqEle3tFGA

I was excited to have him running although I hoped he would get a little more of the experience of Washington before someone with his charisma and vision tried to tackle the beast of our failed experiment. Closer to the primaries, I think I took an online Democratic candidate alignment test, and I think my number one closest response was Mike Gravel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rZdAB4V_j8

Looking back Gravel's political career, it's a combo of "he's quite right" and "how the gently caress can he be so wrong" so I guess it's no surprise that he wound up a Libertarian and I developed the political cynicism to be posting in cpasm. Still, I'll give him props for the Pentagon Papers.

By the time the primaries came to my state, I voted Obama, and Obama in the general. At best, we haven't gone to war with Iran yet.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Obama snuck in a lot of small things for, like, national parks and the VA and enforcing the Violence Against Women Act and making student loans at least less onerous and creating the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, but they were taken for granted or completely unnoticed by the people who were unaffected, or reversed by the following administration.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Michael Scott is every person who voted for Obama both times and then Trump

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I voted Ron Paul in the primary as a protest vote because I hated McCain so much. Would have voted for Romney but he'd already dropped out.

Voted for McCain in the general.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca7IhkfBMes

Seems like it was yesterday, and yet here we are, 10 years, two presidents, one Lowtax wife and one Lowtax spine later.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

General Dog posted:

I voted Ron Paul in the primary as a protest vote because I hated McCain so much. Would have voted for Romney but he'd already dropped out.

Voted for McCain in the general.

yikes

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

you gotta remember that SA was pretty libertarian until after the 2008 elections or so. we even had a libertarian mod of D&D

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Nobody because im british

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

i was going through the mccain.gif thread in the LF goldmine to dig up some old relics than remembered 'oh ya everyone used waffleimages to host' welp :rip:

all i managed to scrounge was this

https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=350754201

and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OIZa4TZI7Q

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
I voted for McCain in 2008 and Romney in 2012. at the time I was quite conservative and religious and I'm definitely not either now and I definitely regret voting for them, I would have likely voted for Obama if I was the kind of person today that I was 10 years ago and that includes his reelection.

Good God was I a loving idiot 10 years ago.

I know we all look back on Obama's administration now as not being what he had promised but despite that in the end I felt he did more good than any Republican in the last 20 years has done so there's that.

In either case I would never loving vote libertarian.

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc

get that OUT of my face posted:

you gotta remember that SA was pretty libertarian until after the 2008 elections or so. we even had a libertarian mod of D&D
was that the guy who posted pictures of his $8000 couch on D&D

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adc3MSS5Ydc

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I voted for Obama, in 2004, I did not vote, but I could have

I was 23, I was fresh out of college with a political science degree, working as assistant manager of a record store, living to party and get drunk and to gently caress like a maniac, a wild time in my life in which I shamefully did cast a vote for one barkobama

by 2012 I had quit drinking in favor of focusing on mind expanding drugs and marijuana and I had begun a career in early childhood special education so I made the correct choice of not voting.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

HobbitGrease posted:

was that the guy who posted pictures of his $8000 couch on D&D
i had no idea there was such a person and i posted in D&D for way longer than i should have

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I voted for Obama for all the same reasons everyone else did.

Sorry he renewed the sunset provisions in the Patriot Act, extended Bush's tax cuts, hosed over Libya, repealed Habeus Corpus, cost the Democrats 1000 seats... and in a sense put us on the course for Trump, particularly with the TPP at the end.

Feels bad man.

If you were a liberal in 2008 you'd have no way of seeing it coming. I think we all expected he'd disappoint on some things but only the most cynical folks thought he'd be virtually another term of Bush.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
17, wasnt old enough to vote

supported kucinich, then became a ron paul kid because i hated the iraq war/warrantless surveillance/drug war. glad i wasnt old enough to vote for him in light of his white supremacy

i preferred obama over mccain, but i really didnt trust him because he voted for the bailout, which i loving hated

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It was my first year living in Minnesota so I voted for Obama, Al Franken, and Keith Ellison on that ballot.

That sure worked out super.

(The kicker is, if I had a time machine that only went to November 2008, I'm not sure at all what I'd do differently.)

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i didnt vote but i did google ron paul

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

I was 17 and literally got jumped in school by some pasty cornfed proto-chuds for being vocally pro-obama

So i became pro-communist instead :twisted:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I couldn’t vote in 2008 so I only have one shameful vote for Barack Obama on my conscience

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

docbeard posted:

It was my first year living in Minnesota so I voted for Obama, Al Franken, and Keith Ellison on that ballot.
:thurman:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Voted barry oboth times and held my nose for hillary in 16. Not voting for a corporatist again and voting trump if zuck or some dumbass tech person is the dems 2020 choice.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I was slightly too young to vote in 2008, but I was living in Alaska so I got to see a lot of people be real dumb about Palin. To be fair though she seemed like a competent enough governor before the whole national campaign thing. (i.e. not hilariously corrupt and in the pocket of the oil industry)

t0aine
Apr 7, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
i voted nader in 08, the last time i voted :0)

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

get that OUT of my face posted:

this revisionism will not stand

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
TRUMP

t0aine
Apr 7, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
there were several libertarian mods of d&d, all terrible

which to be fair is more about that being a requirement of modding d&d and less about libertarianism

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

wrap it up obamailures

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012 but I didn’t vote in 2016 because I’m from Oregon so my vote doesn’t matter

Maybe if I was from Florida or Ohio or Pennsylvania I would have but as it stands there are only really like 5 states that matter for election voting and I’m jaded as gently caress now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

I voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012 but I didn’t vote in 2016 because I’m from Oregon so my vote doesn’t matter

Maybe if I was from Florida or Ohio or Pennsylvania I would have but as it stands there are only really like 5 states that matter for election voting and I’m jaded as gently caress now

you should’ve at least done it so you could tell your kids you voted to have our first female president when you had the chance

like me, when I voted for Gloria La Riva

• Locked thread