Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

edogawa rando posted:

They co-promoted it with NJPW, who put in quite a bit of effort to put on the best show they could.

RoH put on a series of shitarse matches where you'd swear everyone was in a fiercely competitive game of one-downmanship. I think this was also the show that noted rapist shithead Enzo Amore made his first RoH appearance on as well, so there's that.

The worst thing you could say about the ladder match is they did too much and went too long. The ROH guys worked really hard on that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I remember inviting people over to watch the show, and being sooooo happy that they couldn't make it because the ROH section of it was sooooooooo bad.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

coconono posted:

...This is including the Briscoes who were legit going to beat Enzo to death had they not slipped on each other.

of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: “It might have been”

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I do think how bad the ROH half of the show was has been overstated. Kenny King winning the battle royal was fine apart from the tease of Liger winning it. Rush squashing Dalton Castle was absolutely the right thing to do. Cobb vs Ospreay wasn't as good as it could've been but was still plenty good. The ladder match was far from the best ROH Title match ever, & it was stupid that Taven went over instead of Scurll but it was...fine. The street fight & the Women's Title matches were both below fine.

The big knock is just it was the biggest show ROH was ever likely to be involved in & they didn't put their best foot forward. Is that understandable considering they lost the top of their card 4 months before it? Yeah, sure but a three way ladder match with Taven & Lethal & Scurll was never going to end up in the pantheon of ROH matches. Why do a three-way in the ladder match? Why was the Tag Title match a 4-way? If you want the ROH belts on GoD then just do GoD vs Brody King & PCO. I know this is before the Pure Title was resurrected but man, have Jonathan Gresham in a singles match. I dunno, but the point is that while how bad it was is overstated, having Lethal vs Party Marty vs Taven sandwiched between Naito vs Ibushi & White vs Okada was always going to make it look a bit flat.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Let's not forget another major misstep from that show: ROH NOT PLAYING LIGER'S MUSIC ON THE PPV FEED WHEN HE WAS ON HIS FAREWELL TOUR.

I wasn't happy with them blocking Kaze Ni Nare, but blocking Liger's music is unforgivable.

e: I think part of the hyperbole for that show was that it was supposed to be the highlight of what was an outstanding Maina weekend: Invisible Man v Invisible Stan, a fever dream of a Spring Break, etc. The ROH stuff was too long and too meh and messed up the schedule for everything else that night.

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 29, 2021

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
lmao I forgot Enzo fell on his rear end immediately

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

cams posted:

here is a quick video covering exactly why njpw stopped working with roh after this show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWZsngzKLFA
Gedo just spiking the camera and shrugging is what sells me as the end of the relationship for me

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

lmao I forgot Enzo fell on his rear end immediately

Par for the course.

His main roster run makes it all the more galling they thought Adam Cole, a very good wrestler was only manager material, while letting Enzo, a man who broke his leg doing matwork and nearly ended his own career in a PPV match wrestle regularly and hold main roster gold.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
the wwf cruiserweight belt isn't main roster gold.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Enzo's best work was Cass using him as a bludgeon.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

karmicknight posted:

It kind of was around that time period. Amore getting the belt was obviously a Vince call, because he could talk in a way that Vince liked. Amore was the centerpiece of that division until he tired everyone out with his bullshit.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pinwiz11 posted:

Let's not forget another major misstep from that show: ROH NOT PLAYING LIGER'S MUSIC ON THE PPV FEED WHEN HE WAS ON HIS FAREWELL TOUR.

I wasn't happy with them blocking Kaze Ni Nare, but blocking Liger's music is unforgivable.

e: I think part of the hyperbole for that show was that it was supposed to be the highlight of what was an outstanding Maina weekend: Invisible Man v Invisible Stan, a fever dream of a Spring Break, etc. The ROH stuff was too long and too meh and messed up the schedule for everything else that night.

Invisible Man vs Invisible Stan was the night before.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

karmicknight posted:

It definitely was at the time. They were promoting it on main roster PPVs, and Enzo being cruiserweight champ was a pretty big midcard angle on Raw at the time.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I know we all hate Enzo now, but let's not memory-hole that he was super popular at the time and one of the company's biggest merch movers.

Even after he got fired in disgrace, he still had a big social media following and ROH thought they could tap into that audience by bringing him in.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
He's apparently going to MLW now as "nZo", which is... unfortunate.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, the issue is less that ROH's stuff was outright bad (although I'll say, if the street fight got over in the building that sure as hell didn't come across at home, as the match was bad and the crowd sounded dead) and more that they did a bunch of angles for HEAT in what I guess was an attempt to hook the big audience that was tuning in and get them to watch future shows, whereas NJPW treated it like one of their big cards like a Dome or Osaka Castle show, and just had big matches with clean finishes. And a big portion of the crowd (and the PPV audience) was there for the NJPW guys (and technically the Elite, had they not bailed 4 months earlier).

The Enzo thing, Matt Taven going over, Kenny King winning the battle royal all make sense in isolation but they're not things you do on a big blow off show, they're stuff you do to set the table FOR the big blow off show. Which is where I think people get the idea that ROH half-assed it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

coconono posted:

the Enzo thing was the dealbreaker from what I remember. They did it in the middle of NJPW shooting an angle and completely screwed up everything. It was a Bully Ray call. He opted to keep everyone in the dark. This is including the Briscoes who were legit going to beat Enzo to death had they not slipped on each other.

Pretty good rib by Bully Ray tbf

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Enzo and Cass doing a run-in was the straw that broke the camel’s back, but I do remember there also being a big sticking point over what should be the show’s main event. ROH thought the ladder match was the bigger deal than the IWGP title change, and that because Sinclair had saved the MSG booking by threatening to sue when MSG tried to pull out of it at the behest of WWE, who was threatening to go exclusively with Barclays if they kept the booking (an empty threat, of course), that somehow this meant ROH deserved the slot and New Japan didn’t.

New Japan simply told them to piss up a rope, knowing their brand and talent were the draw. ROH backed down, the crowd went home happy with an Okada title win (imagine how the show would be regarded if it faded out with Matt Taven celebrating), and by the end of the year New Japan locked in a booking for MSG all on their own. Which was definitely a big sign that the relationship was on shifty terrain.

It’s not even so much that the ROH matches were bad, but the booking was an utter mess all over the promotion at that point and it hadn’t been great even when the Bucks, Cody, and SCU were still under contract. They really were leaning on the Bucks having built a very dedicated fandom and Bullet Club being a cool thing they were allowed to tap into, plus regular guest spots for big New Japan talent like Tanahashi and LIJ. Once they lost all those guys who went to AEW as their founding roster, and New Japan talent went “we don’t like working there” and all they could get were New Japan Dads like Nagata and Kojima, they were pretty well and truly hosed.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ROH did not look organized at all in that show. Bully wasn’t even a part of the match so him being out there is a clear sign he didn’t clear that with anyone.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Again, it feels like New Japan went "let's have a killer show" and ROH went "let's do a bunch of stuff to get BUZZ".

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Again, it feels like New Japan went "let's have a killer show" and ROH went "let's do a bunch of stuff to get BUZZ".

New Japan booked it like it was: a replacement for Sakura Genesis. Everything they booked was something that came out of the New Japan Cup, Honor Rising Japan, or the Anniversary Show, and things that would lead into Dontaku and Dominion were kicked off either at this show or in the wake of it. Steady as she goes with the booking.

ROH, yeah, pretty much just tried to get as many headlines as they could on a Mania weekend, sensible storytelling be damned.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1460060939605139465

Can't imagine any other US company giving Taven as much for as long

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Rick posted:

They are trying to find buyers for the RSNs but there is a reason Disney and Fox agreed to decouple them from the sale. Outside of local sports, they have a major content problem; Fox was already consolidating that stuff and Disney was rumored to just be interested in canibalizing their rights for ESPN (and as it turns out could also just wait those out and buy them later separately). These things are anchors.

The local sports rights are super expensive and then they just didn’t have local sports immediately after the purchase because of the pandemic, and my guess by judging the type of ads on the network now they probably aren’t getting the most revenue coming their way still.

So they can’t sell off the thing they need to sell off to go back to what was a very successful previous to this for them before although that is what they are trying to do.

E: If I write a post on my phone, then get busy for like five hours, I just need to delete it and not hit send. My brain doesn't catch the grammar problems until it's too late.

You’re right that the RSN bubble has burst but Disney sold them because they were forced to. Getting rid of them was a condition of the regulatory approval.

TheJunkyardGod
Sep 19, 2004

Do not taunt the Octopus
Bandico has Covid and is out for Final Battle.

ROH is cursed.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Poor ROH, and even more poor Bandido.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tony Khan:

quote:

“Absolutely. I do want to wish those folks with Ring Of Honor the best. I’ll be doing some things to support them in this last show to make it a good show for them. [Working partnerships] is what AEW is all about [inaudible], so I am wishing them the best tomorrow and tonight, I think you’re going to see some of the best wrestling that you’re ever going to get on a Friday night. We’ve packed so much great stuff into one hour on Rampage, and then we’ll be really focused ahead towards Winter Is Coming, but yeah, over the weekend I am going to lend some support to them and try and help them out because it’s the right thing to do.”

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

drat cm punks gonna return to this show?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Punk, Bryan, Cole and Fish would make for a romantic little curtain call.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

STONE COLD 64 posted:

gently caress the refund!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It would be so ROH to get a bunch of talent from AEW, then not announce any of them beforehand

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Someone on discord suggested Ki/Fallen Angel/Dragon as the main event and I'm into it

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

$12.99 for this thing as part of a month of Honor Club seems like a no-brainer.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I’m into it solely for whatever nonsense Ki stirs up in and around it

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Someone on discord suggested Ki/Fallen Angel/Dragon as the main event and I'm into it

thatd be sick

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

Punk, Bryan, Cole and Daniels would make for a romantic little curtain call.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Fightful/status/1469394628327530511?s=20

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
lmao and also lol

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I hope Gresham pulls all of Lethal's limbs off

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Gresham and Lethal is a match ROH had been building to forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Yeah, this is cool. I get people don't like Lethal because of everything but it'll be a good match, they wrestled in April for the Pure Title & it was real solid, there was a 2018 Iron Man match for the World Title match, their record in singles is Lethal 3 Gresham 2.

And honestly, Jay Lethal is ROH at this point, he debuted in the first year of the promotions existence, he went from just a guy in Special K to a mainstay on the roster, he's held every men's belt in the company, and has appeared at least once every year the company has existed except between 2007 & 2010. Jay Lethal has been a huge part of ROH history & it would be weird if he wasn't on their final show in some form.