Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
2 sounds good to me also.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

quote:

You call upon your powers, crippled as they are in the demon-plane, and surround Smith with a shield--the "air" here doesn't have the same chemical composition, doesn't even have what you'd call chemistry exactly, and as such it's harder to manipulate, slipping out from beneath your fingers. The dot rises, quivers, come on, come on--

You hear a soft zip, and your shield shatters. Shards of superheated crystal burst in all directions--one tears through your suit and bites into your shoulder. You fall back, but not before you see that Smith--he's okay! Your shield saved him. He turns, shocked.

You lift yourself off the floor, moving slowly--your ears ring, the world's in rapid decrescendo, screams of insect rage from the stands and shock and horror and the ping of the exploding shield all pianissimo and sinking. Your shoulder hurts, and your ribs. Smith stares open-eyed and open-mouthed as a netted fish.

The crowd's a sea in storm. Based on the direction of the red dot, you can sort of judge where the attacker must have been sitting, within an arc that only captures ten thousand demons or so. Only. You have your footing now, and you're on full alert. Guards have advanced on many legs from the walls. Their eyes burn with unholy fire.

Fortunately for you all, the attacker's determined. From the spectator sea springs a creature of onyx and thorns; it lands amid the tiles and raises with one hand a complex mechanism of crystal and wires and flame, pointing toward Smith.

"For my people," the demon says, and this you hear--and recognize the voice, from a pier in Shikaw three years ago. Only it was in Wakefield's mouth then.

1. I rush the assassin myself.
2. I take it down with the Craft.
3. "Get him!"
4. I spring my trap.

Liang Wen's Stats posted:

Charm: 77%
Craft: 91%
Cunning: 94%
Determination: 72%

Sleep: 53%
Gunner/Socialite: 77%/23%

Soul: 5640
Debt: :woop:

Achievements posted:

Die: You died! Let's see you get out of this one... (15 points)
Go it alone: You fixed the Transdimensional case on your own. (50 points)
Pro bono: You helped R'ok achieve his dream. (25 points)
Consolation prize: You can't save them all. (25 points)
Depose a goddess: You have successfully deposed the goddess Ajaia. (40 points)
Save Smith: You saved John Smith from the assassin. At least for now. (15 points)

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
4. let's battle tendency this poo poo

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
4 cunning trap!

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
4. Trap!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I spring my Trap Card

Do semi deomnic beings play Yu-Gi-Oh?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
3. Let someone else do the job, for once.

Also, I have no idea how, but I’m sure getting shot was all part of Smith’s plan.

WLMortis
Sep 28, 2001
Nebulosis Defunctus
Slippery Tilde

So you see, demon dude, only the winner of this attack will be able to go back in time and set up a trap!

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

quote:

Well, it's not a trap precisely, but it's the best you could do operating on unfamiliar territory with no time to prepare. You expected this...guy?...to show up again, or else a friend of his, but without a truename or detailed personal descriptions there's only so much you could do.

Easier, though, to bind Smith.

With no control over the venue, you wrote the Craft circle on your own skin, before you went to sleep last night. Took some doing, but you brought the tools along. A simple gesture, and Smith stands in a sphere of rippling light. The sphere's a symbol--what it does is invert the vector of any force that crosses its borders. Within it, Smith is perfectly safe, albeit somewhat cramped, unless he were to do something stupid, like, say, step outside the sphere.

Like he just did.

You dive to push him back in, and--

Zip.

Another red dot appears, this time in the center of Smith's chest. Only this one's not made of light, and it spreads. He blinks, looks down, and falls.

You run to him. So does K'lint, but you get there first, and you're kneeling by his side when he breathes his last wet breath. Your hands are red with his blood. That, at least, keeps its color on this plane.

"Smith!" You shout his name. You feel his pulse. But he's gone. His white shirt's gone red, and there's a hole in his tie, but something shines through the red: a circle broken by the points of a star. The same emblem on the insurance glyph he showed you last night.

The blood rolls back into Smith's chest, leaving his shirt white. You draw back; you've never seen this before.

Smith's eyes open, and they are black on black, and stars burn within them. He stands. Brushes off his jacket. He's alive, but he's more, and less, than he was.

1. What.
2. The.
3. gently caress?

:what:

quote:

Smith grins. His grin has too many teeth. There are dimensions to him that you've never seen before--actual dimensions, new physical elements orthogonal to all those you can describe. He stands taller now. His fingers lose their skin and lengthen into talons. His hair's black flame. The world bends and shivers with his laughter.

K'lint needs no prompt to action. He leaps for Smith, mandibles open, claws unsheathed. Smith raises his hand, and the movement blurs forward and backward in time at once. K'lint flies back through the air, slams against the stadium wall, and breaks. He lies still, spiderwebbed in cracks.

You stagger back, stunned. Guards leap at Smith, and against these he does not even bother to gesture. The guards explode. Showers of crystal and obsidian rain down on the checkerboard stadium floor. The stands are a net of screams.

He raises one finger to his lips, and the screams stop. He does not seem human any more.

1. "What the hells are you doing?"
2. I tackle Smith.
3. I try to bind Smith with the Craft.

Liang Wen's Stats posted:

Charm: 77%
Craft: 91%
Cunning: 95%
Determination: 72%

Sleep: 53%
Gunner/Socialite: 77%/23%

Soul: 5640
Debt: :woop: