Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Al! posted:

i just learned that nathan fielder is heavily involved in Who Is America, which isn't a surprise at all
yeah that checks out. the other bit of outrage regarding Who Is America is that Kurt Metzger wrote for it, and when that was revealed just before the show debuted, people shat a brick, because he was the guy Amy Schumer banished from her show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
whats ozy.com u ask? im glad u asked

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

to be fair to the reviewers the first episode was hit or miss. as insane as the gun stuff was a lot of the grosser bits didn’t land very well

the second episode is amazing however

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

to be fair to the reviewers the first episode was hit or miss. as insane as the gun stuff was a lot of the grosser bits didn’t land very well

he's def at his best when he's basically minimally prompting them and letting the subjects hang themselves, not when he's seeing how normal people react to an over-the-top character

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I'm kind of mad they didn't make the second episode the pilot, if they're capable of such quality, so more people would see it before tuning out

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

my friend said exactly this about the first episode, but that's not what the critics were saying about the show in general

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I'm kind of mad they didn't make the second episode the pilot, if they're capable of such quality, so more people would see it before tuning out

yeah the second episode was dynamite, weird decision

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
i mean the show caused a poo poo storm today so it's not like its going to turn anyone away, it's all over the news even in australia

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Al! posted:

he's def at his best when he's basically minimally prompting them and letting the subjects hang themselves, not when he's seeing how normal people react to an over-the-top character

my favorite parts so far are the moments where the person is so eager to act unabashedly horrible that you see Cohen’s surprise slip through just a tiny bit. like when the gun guys suggests arming toddlers before cohen does or how enthusiastically the rep started screaming the n word

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

wrong thread

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Reclines Obesily posted:

yeah the second episode was dynamite, weird decision

i think if you replaced the spokesmodel bit in the second episode with the nra bit and made it the first episode the whole thing would be dynamite

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
chasing terrorists with my bare rear end and screaming USA to own the libs

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Right? Like, sure, if have to do N episodes you maybe have to stretch your good content out between episodes, but why not just not do that many episodes? Cut out the fat, show everyone a shorter series that's perfect for maximum impact, and go down as legends forever

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Right? Like, sure, if have to do N episodes you maybe have to stretch your good content out between episodes, but why not just do N/2 episodes? Cut out the fat, show everyone a shorter series that's perfect for maximum impact, and go down as legends forever

that georgia state rep certainly had an n episode

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Right? Like, sure, if have to do N episodes you maybe have to stretch your good content out between episodes, but why not just not do that many episodes? Cut out the fat, show everyone a shorter series that's perfect for maximum impact, and go down as legends forever

eh, it's fine :shrug: im sure they're on contract to do a certain number of episodes so they can't all be bangers start to finish

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Al! posted:

eh, it's fine :shrug: im sure they're on contract to do a certain number of episodes so they can't all be bangers start to finish

some shows can manage it

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
the only clunker from last night's is koppell, imo. like, what are you gonna get koppell to say? nothing, you're just gonna confuse and annoy him. cohen is a comedy conman at getting people to say outrageously horrible poo poo, but sometimes it'll just end up being a one sided improv scene with an unwilling partner. even the town in arizona, say what you will about punching down, hooooly poo poo those were some awful people.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

youre never punching down when youre punching nazis and im afraid all of those people are fuckin nazis

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

“i’m a racist”

at least that guy had the decency to say so

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

my favorite parts so far are the moments where the person is so eager to act unabashedly horrible that you see Cohen’s surprise slip through just a tiny bit. like when the gun guys suggests arming toddlers before cohen does or how enthusiastically the rep started screaming the n word

This subtle smile has me crying laughing.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this movie made me go back and watch borat and holy gently caress has literally nothing

"WE SUPPORT... YOUR WAR OF TERROR!" *entire stadium cheers*

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

it’s because the town hall meeting was a no firearm zone

I know this because one of the people shouted that if it hadn’t been a gun free zone “someone would’ve gotten hurt”

i remember that part, but im shocked it didnt happen afterwards

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Hostess Snack Cake posted:

i remember that part, but im shocked it didnt happen afterwards

they probably got to the part that happens on shows like this and eric andre where the host has to immediately backpedal to avoid getting their rear end kicked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPt6DeMZTk0

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Security and insurance must be a fair slice of the budget.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

it owns that these people choose to act like this even though they have cameras literally pointed at them and signed a release prior to filming

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Al! posted:

i just learned that nathan fielder is heavily involved in Who Is America, which isn't a surprise at all

Nathan Fielder rocks, he did most of the production work for the second crazy episode.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/07/nathan-fielder-who-is-america.html

quote:

Nathan for You mastermind Nathan Fielder received a consulting producer credit in the premiere episode of Sacha Baron Cohen’s Who Is America?, but his involvement went up a notch in week two.

Fielder is listed as a writer, director, and consulting producer for the second episode, though it’s unknown which part he had a hand in creating. Between Dick Cheney’s torture interview, Corinne Olympios’s pro-child soldier PSA, Georgia state representative Jason Spencer’s (hopefully) career-ending appearance, and the Arizona mosque focus group, the episode was filled with plenty of segments that might have benefitted from Fielder’s prank expertise.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

this tweet was ted cruze saying he supports spencer hahaha

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm rewatching last night's episode and oh my god Sacha nearly corpsed the gently caress out when the dude started screaming the n-word

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Dirk Pitt posted:

This subtle smile has me crying laughing.

lmao

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
sasha baron cohen, thinking internally: surely, this next bit is too on the nose, no one's gonna fall for this one...maybe i've lost my touch...

Politician: ILL TURN YOU GAY

Sasha: lol

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://i.imgur.com/WdWb3hX.mp4

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

rudatron posted:

sasha baron cohen, thinking internally: surely, this next bit is too on the nose, no one's gonna fall for this one...maybe i've lost my touch...

Politician: ILL TURN YOU GAY

Sasha: lol

during cohens prank hiatus there were lots of clickbait articles/videos about how he could never get away with another show like ali g/borat again

cuntman.net posted:

this tweet was ted cruze saying he supports spencer hahaha

#cruzcrew

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Don't use your butt Arn, use your patented spinebuster.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Reclines Obesily posted:

during cohens prank hiatus there were lots of clickbait articles/videos about how he could never get away with another show like ali g/borat again

luckily we have the deductive skills of American conservatives to help out with that

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Reclines Obesily posted:

considering all the pearl clutching by both the right and the kinds of people who write those articles, i'd say he isn't getting away with it

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
The show is amazing, but I'm a bit uncomfortable about how softball it is to the lefties. Their mock character is basically a caricature of a right-wing idiot, so even if they're fully taken in by it their reaction would be the same as if they're not, "stop this, this is a stupid waste of time".

It would be nice to see the bicycle character suggesting outrageous things to the lefties. Though I guess that's tricky because outrageous on the right is "let's murder people for being different lol" and outrageous on the left is like "let's seize the means of production and distribute things so nobody experiences poverty".

Anyway, my favorite thing about the butt politician is that when he speaks in his own defense in the media after the fact it's pretty loving damning. "I'm a weak-willed chump who can be manipulated by my fears, and wah it's not fair to do that for amusement at my expense, it's only fair to manipulate me by my fears so I'll enact policies that persecute minorities!"

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Really what Baron-Cohen should do to screw with libs is just be a Eric Garland type figure.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

so youre saying getfiscal should write for the show

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Hmmmm. maybe do just a variation of Borat,mixed with the MOssad guy, but have him be a claimed former Russian agent who had seen information in the eighties relating to ties to the Trump Coroporation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Al! posted:

so youre saying getfiscal should write for the show
now that you mention it, i'd love to see him write for a tv show

• Locked thread