Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

muscles like this! posted:

Delayed again to some unknown 2019 date.

Its probably for the best. If it had actually come out when it was planned it would have been buried by other major films coming out at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm still disappointed. I'll be in my room, playing Blue Oyster Cult records.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm still disappointed. I'll be in my room, playing Blue Oyster Cult records.

:same:

poo poo, I was gonna do that anyways.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I thought the date was reasonable-ish until the latest Bumblebee trailer poked Gen1 nostalgia buttons. Until then, it was just another garbo transformers movie. Now I think it could be a real thing, so I guess I'm glad Alita isn't up against it. I guess it means more time to polish all the CG, too.

Still, :sigh:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Maybe with this extra time they'll be able to secure the the rights for the Blue Oyster cross on Zapan's forehead.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Vanderdeath posted:

Maybe with this extra time they'll be able to secure the the rights for the Blue Oyster cross on Zapan's forehead.

Good point.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

I honestly had forgot that this hadn't already came out and bombed. From the timing, I wonder if The Predator doing so badly has the studio in a bit of a panic.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The impression I've gotten is that this movie has taken a very, very, very long time for the VFX work to be finished, and that this delay is more credit to that than anything else. Fox isn't spooked about this movie at all, which is why this required them to pull a PG-13 cut of Deadpool 2 out of their rear end as their Christmas tentpole instead of them already having a movie potentially ready to go in its spot.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARim4Hjpiz0

If this doesn't play over the end credits I'm gonna be pissed.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Veteran of the Psychic Wars would also be acceptable.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3D2vmWD88w

First look at motorball. Still wished they saved that arc for a sequel.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Stoked that she's still number 99

Not crazy about the Damascus Blade being a sword now instead of an armblade but I can live with it. SO hyped for this

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'm curious if they're going to do a fake out with the boy, in the trailers and advertising we are led to believe he's some plucky guy that wins her heart or whatever. Then we see the movie and it plays out exactly like in the manga and it turns out he's a lovely person too.

I say this in the hope that it's true because otherwise they're taking one of the things I liked about that arc and just making it another cliched romance plot

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Clipperton posted:

Stoked that she's still number 99

Not crazy about the Damascus Blade being a sword now instead of an armblade but I can live with it. SO hyped for this

I'm going to wager that the sword gets integrated into her arm by the end of the film.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Revolver Bunker posted:

I'm going to wager that the sword gets integrated into her arm by the end of the film.

My hopes are this.

I'm not confident about the trailer at all, it seems like they're cramming a whole lot of stuff into just one 2 hr movie. The regular audiences are going to just see it as a 1-shot special effects extravaganza movie. :( I'm hoping it at least doesn't turn out as much a disappointment as The Dark Tower did.

EDIT: Also, I want to minor plug The Battle Angel Alita Manga Thread. We've been posting about the Alita books for years. It's chill, and if you've never read it before, we welcome read throughs and trip reports!! It's lovely to see people re-experience the madcap joy of Yukito Kishiro for the first time. :unsmith:

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 15, 2018

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
It's been a lot of time since I've read the manga, but are those lines from the comics? "You're the most human person I know", "Underestimating who I am", etc. I know the comic is old, so yesterday's fresh ideas become today's cliches, but those lines (and the delivery) seem really bad.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Those lines you mentioned specifically are not really ones I remember from the books, but I did recognize that bit about "standing in the presence of evil".

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

DrSunshine posted:

I'm not confident about the trailer at all, it seems like they're cramming a whole lot of stuff into just one 2 hr movie. The regular audiences are going to just see it as a 1-shot special effects extravaganza movie. :( I'm hoping it at least doesn't turn out as much a disappointment as The Dark Tower did.

Although it breaks my heart to say it, there's just no way this is going to get a sequel. Huge budget to make back, unknown property, no big stars, February release...and I don't see a reboot coming out in my lifetime either.

So with that in mind, I'm cool with them stuffing in as many of the manga's eyeball-kick moments as they can, just so I get to see them up on the big screen

DrSunshine posted:

Those lines you mentioned specifically are not really ones I remember from the books, but I did recognize that bit about "standing in the presence of evil".

The manga had more than its fair share of corny lines and it unabashedly wears its heart on its sleeve, which is a big reason I love it so much, so the trailer dialogue is fine with me.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Having read the first book of the manga after this was first announced and having watched how this movie has been handled so far, I'm pretty confident in stating that this movie will take a mediocre, juvenile manga and turn it into a lukewarm pile of puke.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

MeinPanzer posted:

Having read the first book of the manga after this was first announced and having watched how this movie has been handled so far, I'm pretty confident in stating that this movie will take a mediocre, juvenile manga and turn it into a lukewarm pile of puke.

I will cut you :unsmigghh:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

MeinPanzer posted:

You read like, 1/10th of the story and the movie will more than likely be a grab bag of the best parts of the first few volumes.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Vanderdeath posted:

You read like, 1/10th of the story and the movie will more than likely be a grab bag of the best parts of the first few volumes.

Has the "grab bag of the best" idea ever actually produced a good movie? Ever film that I can think of that tried that approach has turned out to be middling and incoherent.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Clipperton posted:

Although it breaks my heart to say it, there's just no way this is going to get a sequel. Huge budget to make back, unknown property, no big stars, February release...and I don't see a reboot coming out in my lifetime either.

The push back to February was basically the film's death sentence. For those that don't know, the film was originally supposed to be released in July 2018. Then it got pushed to December 2018, and then one last push to February 2019. You could say it's strategic scheduling, but I'd guess the film isn't tracking well at all and Fox probably doesn't have faith in the movie pulling in any kind of significant profit. If only Cameron would have just let go of Avatar for a few years (and I loving love Avatar), then Alita would've definitely had a better chance at becoming a franchise of films.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The secret is to have low expectations. I hope the movie does well enough to lead to consideration of more works in the same general vein, not necessarily the Alita Cinematic Universe (though there's enough material for one)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Nessus posted:

The secret is to have low expectations.

Just in life generally this is good advice, you can only ever be happily surprised.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

teagone posted:

The push back to February was basically the film's death sentence. For those that don't know, the film was originally supposed to be released in July 2018. Then it got pushed to December 2018, and then one last push to February 2019. You could say it's strategic scheduling, but I'd guess the film isn't tracking well at all and Fox probably doesn't have faith in the movie pulling in any kind of significant profit. If only Cameron would have just let go of Avatar for a few years (and I loving love Avatar), then Alita would've definitely had a better chance at becoming a franchise of films.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.

I mean, being realistic, it's probably just that post on the movie is taking longer than expected. If it was an issue of faith, they would have had something better than a censored Deadpool 2 to replace it with in the December slot.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Batista in Foucault's Pendulum. Directed by the Coen brothers.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It would have gotten destroyed had it come out in December, that month is packed. And February isn't the death month anymore now that Black Panther was successful in a February release.

But I'm still lukewarm on this film. Not liking the romance angle and I find this depiction of Alita lacks the charisma the manga art style gave her.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ccs posted:

It would have gotten destroyed had it come out in December, that month is packed. And February isn't the death month anymore now that Black Panther was successful in a February release.

But I'm still lukewarm on this film. Not liking the romance angle and I find this depiction of Alita lacks the charisma lips the manga art style gave her.
This is what's really missing

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I want this to work out so we can have a sequel with Desty Nova.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It doesn’t look like the Zeromites have that gem in their forehead so they might not be intending to ever touch his whole thing.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Jennifer Connelly does have the forehead thing though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Considering they supposedly live in the actual trash of the flying city, everywhere looks remarkably clean and tidy.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I think the new trailer is their best one yet, I saw it before Widows and felt like it actually sold the movie to me more than the original 2.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
To be honest, I expect this movie to be a full 100% trainwreck, and I will love it for it. The fact they did this eye thing apparently fully seriously tells me there's a good chance we will get absolute schlock, and not just boring lukewarm garbage.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Jerkface posted:

I think the new trailer is their best one yet, I saw it before Widows and felt like it actually sold the movie to me more than the original 2.

Same, they had it before Overlord and I was feeling it for once then when the words "Feburary 14" came on the screen it finally hit me that this is actually happening and there will be a Battle Angel film releasing in my lifetime.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It doesn’t look like the Zeromites have that gem in their forehead so they might not be intending to ever touch his whole thing.

Chiren has her's and Ido looks like he has a patch of fake skin grafted over it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I guess I'm disconnected because even though all I have are vague memories of watching the anime like 30 years ago, I think this looks really good :shrug:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Considering they supposedly live in the actual trash of the flying city, everywhere looks remarkably clean and tidy.
I mean, people who live in an area tend to clean it up at least a little. People don't voluntarily live in muddy filth despite what postapocalyptica has conditioned us to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Nessus posted:

I mean, people who live in an area tend to clean it up at least a little. People don't voluntarily live in muddy filth despite what postapocalyptica has conditioned us to believe.

Yeah, but there are slums and ghettoes right now that look trashier. You'd be surprised at what conditioning and the general chaos of poverty inures people to.