Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
CBR is acting like Alita 2 has been greenlit. All Landau has confirmed to ScreenRant that they're working on getting it greenlit, not that it has definitely been greenlit. Internal development work inside Lightstorm, if that is going on, doesn't mean that it's definitely happening either. They were doing that for many years before the first movie came out.

Alita 2: Battle Angel Will Work if It Fixes the First Movie's Biggest Issue

quote:

Alita: Battle Angel is finally getting a sequel, but the follow-up needs to fix a major mistake of the first movie that involves its runtime.
(....)
Based on the legendary manga, the live-action film's somewhat tepid box office made it unlikely that it would receive a sequel. But the second film has been confirmed, and it will hopefully learn from the mistakes of the first.

The first Alita film was notably short for its scope, coming in at around two hours in total. That made its third act come off as rushed, throwing away any quality the movie had. Some of this may have been a lack of confidence in getting a sequel, but since an Alita follow-up is now on the way, it must take time to expand the franchise's universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I will be playing as Alita in Street Fighter 6's World Tour mode:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Vir posted:

CBR is acting like Alita 2 has been greenlit. All Landau has confirmed to ScreenRant that they're working on getting it greenlit, not that it has definitely been greenlit. Internal development work inside Lightstorm, if that is going on, doesn't mean that it's definitely happening either. They were doing that for many years before the first movie came out.

Alita 2: Battle Angel Will Work if It Fixes the First Movie's Biggest Issue

Yup, can't trust CBR or ScreenRant for scoops. Gotta wait for Deadline or Variety for confirmation. But still, we manifesting this sequel into existence :pray:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

As awesome as a 3 hour Alita film would've been (soooooo awesome, whole lotta stuff they could've done with backstories for everyone) I think they made the right call for it to be just 2 hours. Maybe if it was Cameron directing, I think it would've been well-received, but I remember the whole YEAR before it got released, and most of the reactions I saw and read were "ugh, some sappy YA love story in a post-apocalyptic setting, next please" and the reason for our thread title "why are her eyes so big? They're creepy"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Aces High posted:

As awesome as a 3 hour Alita film would've been (soooooo awesome, whole lotta stuff they could've done with backstories for everyone) I think they made the right call for it to be just 2 hours. Maybe if it was Cameron directing, I think it would've been well-received, but I remember the whole YEAR before it got released, and most of the reactions I saw and read were "ugh, some sappy YA love story in a post-apocalyptic setting, next please" and the reason for our thread title "why are her eyes so big? They're creepy"

One thing I did really like about the length was I liked the way motorball and Vector's organ dealings fit together.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

The last act could stand to be 15 minutes longer or something. It does feel very tightly paced.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aces High posted:

Rodriguez seems to like to make his films leaner than three hours? I like to think he's just good enough he doesn't need extra time.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I think someone described the budget of Alita as riding a knife edge, like every extra minute over 2 hours in theater time cost them such and such contractually and also every 5 seconds that Rosa was on screen was pretty expensive. I can't really articulate it, but RR seemed to understand very clearly how much was going against the film both regarding questionable traction with audiences due to being an unfamiliar property and also how the Disney-Fox deal might be swaying things (competition from other releases). That is to say, the script is not only a shrewd compromise, but hitting that 2 hour mark on budget is probably a big deal not just symbolically.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I wonder if budgets would be, not smaller, but more efficient going forward, given all of the recent developments and refinements through Alita and Way of Water. Asset development is a pretty big bottleneck, and since a lot of Iron City POI were already made, and for the Motorball arc, Alita doesn't have many big physical changes.

Then again, Cameron doesn't compromise when it comes to visuals, or he won't let the execs do what's happened in a lot of the flagship Disney films of late

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Rodriguez made a name for himself being pretty shrewd in regards to working within a budget (thanks to his initial indie film background), so I'm not surprised he was able to get things done in a timely m(and efficient) manner.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

teagone posted:

I will be playing as Alita in Street Fighter 6's World Tour mode:

I made short hair giant butt and legs woman and realized I just remade Elena after the fact. She'll meet your Gally.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Rodriguez confirms that they're talking about it, to the magazine Total Film in the UK. He also makes clear that it's not green-lit yet.
https://twitter.com/totalfilm/status/1655943256314875909

quote:

"Yeah, we have been talking about it, so we would love to make one," Rodriguez tells us, though he adds that nothing is confirmed at the moment. "We haven't set it for sure yet, but we're definitely hoping to and talking about it a lot. They're slammed with all the Avatar stuff, but they've definitely been engaging in it."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Aces High posted:

I wonder if budgets would be, not smaller, but more efficient going forward, given all of the recent developments and refinements through Alita and Way of Water. Asset development is a pretty big bottleneck, and since a lot of Iron City POI were already made, and for the Motorball arc, Alita doesn't have many big physical changes.

Then again, Cameron doesn't compromise when it comes to visuals, or he won't let the execs do what's happened in a lot of the flagship Disney films of late

To respect a lower budget, Rosa Salazar has to wear Jackie O sunglasses in every scene.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

To Collider, Rob Rod talks about how the Fox-Disney merger messed with things:

quote:

Quizzed by Collider on any developments, Robert said: "I mean, movement other than us talking about it?

"You know, I just wasn't sure it was ever gonna happen because even when the first movie came out, Disney had just bought Fox, so even our marketing people, everybody, were gone by the time that movie came out. And then there wasn't any Fox movies being made for years because Disney was still busy making their own Disney stuff.

"But now I've seen some Fox movies come out, so that gave me hope."

The 'Spy Kids' director added: "And then when Jon (Landau, producer) mentioned that, and then (James Cameron) and I have been talking that we always wanted to do an 'Alita' sequel.

"He outlined, very thoroughly, a second and a third film, so there's already material there. So yeah, we're hoping that that will happen. But nothing more definitive than that."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

To respect a lower budget, Rosa Salazar has to wear Jackie O sunglasses in every scene.
Do the Tuned arc thing, then they only have to make one eye big

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

I'm still laughing at that "gently caress the haters" article about how they made the eyes bigger.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I have to admit that the eyes put me off at first as well, but the original version. The first trailer I think my thoughts were "are they just trying to do the anime thing?" But I also hadn't read BAA yet, I think I had heard of it and seen pages posted over the years but no one I knew, or circles I hung out in had heard of it or read it.

I decided to at least read the first volume to see what this movie was purportedly to be about. I ended up blowing through all of BAA over a couple weeks and suddenly cared A LOT about this upcoming movie. When the final trailer came out, I remembered thinking "I don't know what they did to her eyes, but they don't weird me out anymore. This movie is going to be fine for visuals!" Maybe they made them bigger and maybe that was the right decision, weird how this also happened with Sonic, they made his eyes too loving small and it was unsettling to look at

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

You know, they really will be able to economize during the Tuned stuff. Salazar can play the hero AND the villain!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

One of those ultra low budget sequels where it's just a different cheaper actor playing Ido watching a tv screen showing footage from the first movie while just talking about all the crazy cool stuff that's happening in the story now.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Just wait until Last Order she can play Alita, Elf, Zwolf, and Sechs.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

TheMopeSquad posted:

Just wait until Last Order she can play Alita, Elf, Zwolf, and Sechs.
Somehow I feel these characters may be called Eleven, Twelve and Six in the Rodriguez films. Also, I will learn my numerals past five, at last.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Neo Rasa posted:

One of those ultra low budget sequels where it's just a different cheaper actor playing Ido watching a tv screen showing footage from the first movie while just talking about all the crazy cool stuff that's happening in the story now.

Ooh yeah, its anime so they can save money by just making the second act a clip show of the first movie+the first act.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

salazar playing a harmonica in the wasteland plz

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

:hmmyes::agreed:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

or a keyboard/keytar at the jazz club

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Throw reason right out the fuckin' window.
Oo

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Took a selfie with Chun with my Alita avatar in SF6, lol

I like the random NPC photobomber. This game is awesome.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

im the dude in the green shirt

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

teagone posted:

Took a selfie with Chun with my Alita avatar in SF6, lol

I like the random NPC photobomber. This game is awesome.

Chun is mad at me because I said she was thicc.

Darko fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 6, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Darko posted:

Chun is mad at me because I said she was thicc.

Lol, I saw that interaction choice with Chun about her legs on twitter. I haven't gotten to that part just yet myself, but I'm also totally picking that option :allears:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

GoldStandardConure posted:

or a keyboard/keytar at the jazz club

Any Alita sequel where they recreate her playing the keytar is like an instant 5/5 flick

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

Any Alita sequel where they recreate her playing the keytar is like an instant 5/5 flick

Imagine an Alita sequel that opens similar to Desperado; that same energy/vibe, but Alita with a keytar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h2wyp0M6fM

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Okay but she has to play a Blue Oyster Cult song.

Come on, they even kept the symbol on Zapan's face!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Added the "bloody" eye black today, and it really completes my Alita avatar's look lol. Selfie with Killer Bee! Alita using a mix of Chun/Cammy movesets is so perfect :allears:

[edit] Also now have Ken's DP and Luke's flash knuckle for fiery punches :supaburn:

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 6, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/pkjMQUR.mp4

:allears:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

teagone posted:

Imagine an Alita sequel that opens similar to Desperado; that same energy/vibe, but Alita with a keytar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h2wyp0M6fM

yes please

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Alita combos :black101:

https://i.imgur.com/pQcJp1u.mp4

I need to practice Cammy's moveset more so I can level up her style. I only know how to play Chun right now in SF6, hah. I'll lab Cammy eventually; Alita's gonna look so cool using Cammy's level 3 super/critical art :allears:

[edit] Also gotta level up Chun style a bit more so I can get her level 3 super with the wing chun chain punches. Perfect for Alita.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 8, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

teagone posted:

I need to practice Cammy's moveset more so I can level up her style. I only know how to play Chun right now in SF6, hah. I'll lab Cammy eventually; Alita's gonna look so cool using Cammy's level 3 super/critical art :allears:

Also recommend Juri's level 3 SA.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Also recommend Juri's level 3 SA.

That's a good one too, has the axe kick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Yesterday, Alita fans had a banner flyby over disney HQ. Also a cosplayer requesting a sequel, while writers are on strike.
https://twitter.com/11serb16/status/1669095399611846656
https://twitter.com/AlitaArmy/status/1669103777918459904

Now that the release of the Avatar movies have been delayed by Disney, maybe Lightstorm has some extra time to work on an Alita sequel? When the first Alita movie was made, some of the crew from Avatar did become available to work on Alita.