Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Found a vendor who sells a trenchcoat :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

teagone posted:

Found a vendor who sells a trenchcoat :allears:

Now all you need is the keytar. :D

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

You need to convince someone to make Zapan now

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Aces High posted:

Maybe I'll redo my character.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
So which style is panzerkunst?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Schwarzwald posted:

If you want a lot of high powered impacts and that cool skidding on the ground thing Juri and Cammy have you covered.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

Cammy is probably the closest, yeah. Panzer kunst in the RR film is partly inspired by wing chun, so Chun is a natural fit. My Alita avatar uses a mix a both. I maxed out Chun’s style, so I’m working on Cammy now. Then prolly Juri next. Luke and Ken have flaming punch specials, so I made sure to include a few of those in Alita’s moveset.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Aces High posted:

I was such a massive loving dweeb in high school that I started work on a basic-rear end Battle Angel text adventure and at the very beginning you were registering your hunter number with the Deckman and if you entered Zapan’s number from the manga it branched off into a separate story following him instead of Alita.

I wish I had ever had any kind of follow through so I could see how far I actually got into either of the paths but I know I gave up on the project pretty quickly.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
In this article about James Cameron selling his California ranch, he talks like it's a done deal, though it might still be aspirational - as in that a greelight hasn't happened yet:

quote:

Family has been central to the Camerons during their two-decade-plus stay at the ranch and it’s partly why they’re selling. The couple’s three children are “all pretty much out on their own now,” the Canadian-born director says. “And on Avatar, I’m working in Wellington and Los Angeles. And on the new Alita: Battle Angel films, I’ll be working in Austin, so it just didn’t make sense for us anymore.”

Adds Suzy Amis Cameron: “Our hope is that someone will come in with young children or decide to have children and enjoy it.”
(Emphasis added.) Cameron already has a home in New Zealand, and intends to spend most of his time there.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

God (if you exist) I don't ask for much, so if you would do the needful, I'd appreciate that :pray:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

oh, god def exists, if only for the purpose of being punched by a cyborg fist so hard that he explodes

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

oh, god def exists, if only for the purpose of being punched by a cyborg fist so hard that he explodes
However, it is the Nazi who is punched by a cyborg so hard that he explodes into submunitions, taking out other Nazis behind him.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Nessus posted:

However, it is the Nazi who is punched by a cyborg so hard that he explodes into submunitions, taking out other Nazis behind him.

As well as their transport!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
From another thread:

BeAuMaN posted:

Heat: 4k Director's Cut Definitive Edition Blu-ray (4K blu-ray + Blu-ray + Digital Download code) for $4
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/heat-includes-digital-copy-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-blu-ray-1995/6452023.p?skuId=6452023

Source: https://slickdeals.net/f/16800578-4k-movies-alita-battle-angel-heat-ad-astra-3-99-each-free-shipping
(Also Ad Astra and Alita: Battle Angel for the same price and 4k etc.)

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

James Cameron adressed the rumors that he'd make an OceanGate movie - he won't.
James Cameron Will Never Make an OceanGate Submersible Movie

quote:

“I don’t respond to offensive rumors in the media usually, but I need to now,” wrote Cameron in reference to rumors from earlier this week. “I’m NOT in talks about an OceanGate film, nor will I ever be.” The Sun reported that Cameron was allegedly approached by an unnamed streamer to direct a series on the Titan submersible that was headed to see the Titanic, but Cameron did not let those rumors linger for very long.
Bloody The Sun again.

quote:

Besides, he’s too busy working on the upcoming Alita: Battle Angel sequels to focus on another intense project.
:hai:

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

TSG Entertainment, which co-financed Alita and other 20th Century Fox movies, is suing Disney for self-dealing and stiffing TSG out of box office earnings and other income by, among other things, putting the movies on streaming for less than it's worth:
‘Avatar: The Way of Water’ financier accuses Disney of self-dealing in new lawsuit

quote:

The financier had a revenue participation agreement with 20th Century, the lawsuit says, laying out how TSG would get a portion of certain films’ revenue in exchange for co-financing production and marketing-related expenditures.

But after TSG noticed a declining return on its investments, the firm hired an independent auditor to look into how 20th Century was calculating its share, the suit says — and “what the auditors found in sampling just three of the 140+ films at issue was clear evidence of Hollywood Accounting.”

In total, the audit reportedly suggested that 20th Century underpaid TSG “by at least $40 million.”

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

TSG also outright accuses Disney of abandoning 20th Century Fox movies during the merger. This reminds me of James Cameron and Jon Landau talking about how when they were dealing with Alita, all the people they knew at Fox had already been fired or quit:
Film Financier TSG Entertainment Sues Fox And Disney For Breach Of Contract, Claims They Have “Tried To Use Nearly Every Trick In The Hollywood Accounting Playbook To Deprive Us Out Of Hundreds Of Millions”

quote:

“In short,” they then declared, “Disney (and the executives running it) had and continue to have every incentive to do anything and everything they can, including manipulating distribution of the Qualifying Pictures and preventing TSG from liquidating its interests in certain tranches of Qualifying Pictures, to attempt to boost Disney’s share price.”

Additionally, TGS also believes that “Fox also improperly charged TSG millions of dollars in purported ‘distribution expenses’ associated with the operation of a service called ‘Movies Anywhere’,” as “Fox reports no receipts to TSG in connection with this Movies Anywhere service, yet Fox has allocated to each Qualifying Picture a portion of its costs associated with operating this entity.”

Yet, perhaps TGS’ most damning complaint regards their belief that following the Fox acquistion, a number of films “were effectively abandoned in bad faith” by Disney, thus “leading to a significant decline in audience awareness and market positioning for Fox’s films.”
In the lawsuit filing TSG also say that they would have invested more in new movies if for not this happening.

I wish this case would go to discovery, and see Bob Iger deposed over it, but it'll probably just be settled for some money before that. Also some of the shady practices might have gone on at Fox before the merger, but it seems the merger made it much worse.

Vir fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 18, 2023

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Maybe it's because I was very invested and was tuned in, but I don't recall Alita not having a lack of media coverage and stuff when it came out. Could it have done better if it released a week or two earlier to squeeze more earnings before Captain Marvel came out? Maybe

I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Alita was sent out to die in February, Disney didn't want it competing with Captain Marvel.

Disney is cancer. The Fox acquisition is one of the worst that's ever been pushed through in any industry, should've never been allowed.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I may be misremembering the timeline, re: the Fox buyout, but I do remember that Alita was supposed to be a summer 2018 release, and then it got pushed back 6 months when test audiences reacted negatively to her eyes. I'm not denying it being pushed out juuuuust before Captain Marvel wasn't a fucky decision.

I am the last person that would go to bat for any of these corpos, I just don't remember it being so suspect at the time.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Aces High posted:

I may be misremembering the timeline, re: the Fox buyout, but I do remember that Alita was supposed to be a summer 2018 release, and then it got pushed back 6 months when test audiences reacted negatively to her eyes. I'm not denying it being pushed out juuuuust before Captain Marvel wasn't a fucky decision.

I am the last person that would go to bat for any of these corpos, I just don't remember it being so suspect at the time.

Oh, I don't think Disney had much of a say in the Alita release date, unless there were backroom dealings, but they def seemed interested in it just getting pushed out the door and not competing too hard with their own franchises.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

gently caress Disney.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

The issue here is that it seems Disney had more influence over 20th Century Fox before the merger was closed than they were supposed to have. It seems it may have harmed movies like Dark Phoenix and Deadpool 2 even more than Alita. The merger process took place from December 14, 2017 to March 20, 2019, remember.

Vir fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 19, 2023

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I think Alita was just sort of a hard sell- it's based on an IP that's not very familiar to most people, you had the big eye factor, and honestly, over decades of only wanting big movies to be based on big IPs, studios have gotten kinda lazy about marketing anything that's not already familiar.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Vir posted:

The issue here is that it seems Disney had more influence over 20th Century Fox before the merger was closed than they were supposed to have. It seems it may have harmed movies like Dark Phoenix and Deadpool 2 even more than Alita. The merger process took place from December 14, 2017 to March 20, 2019, remember.

Not to dispute the toxicity of Dinsey, but Deadpool 2 did fine and there were a whole bunch of other factors that hurt Dark Phoenix.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The films that got it the worst were the ones that had their origins pre-Disney that came out post-pandemic, there’s a bunch that Disney basically left to die in the early fall including movies by Ridley Scott and Wes Anderson.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Disney stuffed a bunch of extra money into that absolute stinker Ad Astra and afaik put pressure on them to gently caress with parts of the movie but it didn't really work out lol and everyone was left with mud on their face in the aftermath

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Not to dispute the toxicity of Dinsey, but Deadpool 2 did fine and there were a whole bunch of other factors that hurt Dark Phoenix.
Yeah there were other problems with Dark Phoenix, but Disney did come in and mandate reshoots to change the ending. Not sure if it would be a better movie without it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if you want the hardcover box set of the entire Battle Angel Alita manga, Crunchyroll has it for way cheaper than it's been elsewhere before. or at least way cheaper than I've seen it, I think the cheapest I've seen it was $140.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

do i NEED to buy this manga like a fourth time? no. do i REALLY WANT TO? yes.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
It's a nice edition for what it's worth. I've had 2 other sets over the years and this one is definitely my preferred way to re-read.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

nobody talk to me about reading alita until you remember hopelessly trying to keep the loving pages in the binding despite the best efforts of viz’s shoddy loving glue.

Still one of my more fond weird memories is getting and playing a copy of Martian Memory finally and my brain going “uh why are all these environments from the manga laid out backwards” thanks to the ol’ flippin standard

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

hello big eye lovers

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

5 year anniversary of the film coming out next month. What the gently caress is time.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

a great year for film

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

5 years and still nothing on a sequel, though :(

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Aces High posted:

5 years and still nothing on a sequel, though :(

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I like Dredd more, but certainly wouldn't say no to an Alita sequel.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And everybody involved was so up for more Dredd, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋