Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

wrong quote wtf nvm

Dongicus posted:

someone post the smarxisat meltdown post i remeber it being funny

Dongicus has issued a correction as of 18:43 on Jun 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

AnimeIsTrash posted:

nope

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Coward poo poo

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Sorry, multiple ultra-tall images aren't extremely good posts :shrug:

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Yes they are

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

ArfJason posted:

lol one of my best takes

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
son of thunderbeast, i hope u l;earned a valuable lesson about the pitfalls of "democracy" or whatever itt. i would suggest u lock this thread and return it to its original purpose, or tis destined for the 'chamber.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Smythe posted:

son of thunderbeast, i hope u l;earned a valuable lesson about the pitfalls of "democracy" or whatever itt. i would suggest u lock this thread and return it to its original purpose, or tis destined for the 'chamber.

A good experiment proving why anarchism is fail and democratic centralism is the only way.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

FormaldehydeSon posted:

Free taintrunner

I hope he fishes on a chokebone

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dongicus posted:

someone post the smarxisat meltdown post i remeber it being funny

As requested,

smarxist posted:

Hi mods, please ban me you bootlicking thugs!

I love CSPAM and because of that I'm doing my best to save it from the completely lovely junkyard that it sprang from before the literal child-brained owner flushes either the community here, or the entire website down the toilet

the events that occurred on the night of the stream with the "livebans" were really beyond the pale and basically killed any appetite I had to post here or spend money here, at the behest of a nazi chud peanut gallery, a man in his 40's banned some of my favorite people from their favorite place and seriously upset them, if you can countenance that poo poo, be my guest

i've been workin' hard (thank you!) to capture as many disaffected, displaced and banned posters as I can, and have literally hundreds trickling into the new hotness.

so come check us out!
:siren: https://breadnroses.club/register/ :siren:

if you register with your SA account name, I can track you down and approve you (we're doing manual approvals for now) and you can come check out the new joint, which despite being a work in progress is already REALLY loving solid.

if you can't be bothered, or if all of this is "dumb online bullshit" or you don't care, then I bid you good posting friend, it was nice making content with you!

hasta siempre,
Smarxist

ArfJason posted:

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

lmfao thank you

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Shogi posted:

Great idea for a thread! Forgery adds the spice of mystery and controversy to art and livens up any artist's record.

My forger of the day is Zhang Daqian, who had a backstory most GMs would turn down and an S-tier beard.

That scholarly affectation with the flowing beard and flowing robes helped him build an almost cultic sense of myth around himself, so you might be wise to take his backstory with a pinch of salt here and there:

Sichuan, 1899: a painter, heavily pregnant, dreams of a white-bearded man giving her a black gibbon. She gives birth to Zhang Zhengquan the next day. This is an ink-blooded family - her older son Zhang Shanzi's tiger paintings will be famous in their own right. She teaches the kid to paint from a young age and by the age of 12 he was getting commissions to paint fortune-telling cards. Now at 17, he was at boarding school in Chongqing but didn't have the money to get home. While making the 120-mile trek home with a few friends he was abducted by bandits and told to write his own ransom note. His calligraphy convinced the bandits' leader to make him his secretary and Zhang proceeded to spend the next three months slinging that impeccable brushwork, robbing houses, studying poetry from looted books and practicing copying stolen paintings until the group were busted by police.

Somehow his family talked him out of this situation and sent him and his brother over to study shibori in Kyoto a couple of years later, separating Zhang from his fiancée Xie who died soon after. After attending her funeral Zhang decided to step back from the world - probably to avoid an arranged marriage rather than any sudden religious conviction - and become a Buddhist monk, taking the new name Daqian. His reclusion didn't last as his Roman Catholic family sent his brother - who had joined a republican precursor to the Kuomintang while in Japan - to drag him away, but it added the touch of classical flair which Zhang would play to his advantage for the rest of his life.

From there Zhang went to Shanghai to take instruction in traditional painting and had the chance to study the work of old masters in close detail. He became obsessed with mastering the styles of great artists such as Shitao and would copy their paintings over and over. The accidental bandit became, by his account, an accidental forger as connoisseurs simply refused to see his copies as anything but the real thing. Zhang began to amass a huge collection of seals of authentication, faking them if necessary. His success as an artist and con artist took him to Beijing where he fell in with Pu Xinyu, an artist who happened to be related to two (2) emperors and was able to supply Zhang with colophons to mark his fakes as genuine. Zhang would read up on the descriptions of lost paintings and then forge them on antique silk, age them with tea and a hairdryer and apply one of his dubious seals.

Through all this Zhang was becoming a prodigious polygamist with a crowd of hangers-on and a pet gibbon (prophetic dream remember, he was a gibbon reincarnated) and constantly producing paintings at an industrial rate, averaging maybe 500 a year. His style became more and more varied, blending elements from different masters and creating something strangely original. He left China as the CCP closed in on victory and began to drift around the world from Sao Paulo to Nice building pavilions and bamboo gardens and his myth as the last great intellectual of classical China without ever learning a Western language. Having injured his eyes in an accident he added an impressionistic flourish of splashed-colour to his repertoire, enlivening his style even further.

Zhang kept painting up to his death at the age of 83. He was decadent and brilliant, some kind of agent of chaos. Paintings attributed to him routinely sell for millions to art-as-investment psychos while curators are warned to be mindful that any given classic that resurfaces might be one of his forgeries. Now of course the circle of grift is complete - the forger has become the forged, and that eclectic style makes the forgeries hard to pick from both directions. You can only imagine him being happy with that.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Sorry, multiple ultra-tall images aren't extremely good posts :shrug:

I thought that Arf's image recipes were extremely good.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Augus posted:

As requested,

thanks I needed a laugh today that comic is fuckin perfect

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

LegoMan posted:

thanks I needed a laugh today that comic is fuckin perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpOuP1hdtFk

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

aaaaand theres my daily crack ping

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is this mod loving smoking lol.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Get rid of whichever dipshit keeps doing this as the coward android app doesn't show names.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

arf is like an exquisite bonsai tree that deserves tender care lest he spend entire days posting about idiocracy

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Get rid of whichever dipshit keeps doing this as the coward android app doesn't show names.

Just click on the upper part to expand the rap sheet entry to show names

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Smythe posted:

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Augus posted:

As requested,

lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

xtal posted:

Searched for posts which meet the following criteria:
Text contains the term 'redacted slur'
Posted by user (name=a Loving Dog; uid=21188)
Showing results 1 to 10 of 18 results. Query took 0.08 seconds to complete.

Do you even want to know the word?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

how the gently caress is arf not perma'd every time he posts here. The gently caress are the mods doing?

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody has issued a correction as of 03:55 on Jul 2, 2021

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

chairface posted:

how the gently caress is arf not perma'd every time he posts here. The gently caress are the mods doing?

Extremely Good Post. Emptyquote Zone.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

chairface posted:

why would a perma be warranted here?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

olives black posted:

South Park only appeals to budding right-wing dickheads. The cool kids all knew Adult Swim (ATHF, Sealab etc.) was better

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Stabbatical posted:

wait, if data is the new money then why do companies buy data and sell data for money instead of more data

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

lol

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

chairface posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9O94UTDAJQ

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

Depends on the coffee at costco. The used to sell these fresh roasted 2 lb bags, single origin (SO). It was pretty decent coffee. I stopped buying roasted coffee though when I started roasting :smug:.

I'm kind of unsure of what you're asking though. I think you're asking if the quality of the coffee is so bad and all other brew variables are bad, is optimizing grind worth it? I think it depends on who's drinking it. If you are on a crusade to get your parents into good coffee but they couldn't care less, I think you're destined to fail and I wouldn't even bother. If you think they could be swayed, I wouldn't even bother with baby steps. I'd show up with a modded skerton or mini mill, some fresh roasted coffee, and a CCD and do a good coffee full assault on the senses. Then when they :stare: at the enlightening experience of a proper cup of coffee, getting them to get a 100bux grinder is a lot easier.

Edit: even if you get the cheap Costco "Jose's" brand, this coffee is still miles better than preground folgers/maxwell/yuban/whatever. I think proper grind treatment will still be noticeable.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:gas: and ban whichever mod stickied this in the first place

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

chairface posted:

lmao

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lol

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

chairface posted:

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

reversal of fortune? :thunkher:

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Crusty Nutsack posted:

reversal of fortune? :thunkher:

queue up a real perma, coward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS