Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Fun fact, you can't get components out of exotic squid ships. I've yet to try it with "normal" exotics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I bought a couple of ships that didn't seem out of the ordinary and couldn't get anything off of them either. I'm betting the most reliable way is to find crashed ships, which is basically buying maps and hoping you get a transmission tower, huh?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

still no update on xbox series x :(

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

I bought a couple of ships that didn't seem out of the ordinary and couldn't get anything off of them either. I'm betting the most reliable way is to find crashed ships, which is basically buying maps and hoping you get a transmission tower, huh?

I've had plenty of luck buying normal ships for parts, has your game definitely updated?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I've had plenty of luck buying normal ships for parts, has your game definitely updated?

Yeah, I was able to pull apart a salvaged ship just fine. It was weird.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

You can't build shuttle-type ships. Only fighters, explorers and haulers. No idea why they left out shuttles, solar ships, sentinel ships and exotics but they did.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Another update has fixed the station discounts

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

My main save started crashing upon loading at my base on PS4 since the update, and two patches later it's doing the same thing.

I've got a second save that's fine but that's a bummer if it killed my 100h save file. I hope there will be further patches.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

You can't build shuttle-type ships. Only fighters, explorers and haulers. No idea why they left out shuttles, solar ships, sentinel ships and exotics but they did.

Do you know if it's all exotics? Shame if it is, I wanted a custom orb-cockpit one.

This is still a very pretty game.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Wheatley been working out

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Stare-Out posted:

That must be it, I bet I just happened to grab two shuttles.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Sentinels and Exotics I kinda get to keep them a little more alien and, well, exotic, but I reckon they'll add them eventually. Could be they just didn't have time for all the ship classes.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Black Griffon posted:

Thing I've wondered about for over 300 hours: anyone done stats on how much you earn from extracting metals via the largest brush vs. the smallest brush? I know you get more from the smaller brush, but I'm curious about how much more.

drat I've been shooting them with the big brush for that long without thinking about it.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Starbase visual improvements: did not disappoint!

Ship "editing" being limited to a build process of the three base-game starship types and no editing or at least recoloring of ships you already own: very disappointed.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Black Griffon posted:

Sentinels and Exotics I kinda get to keep them a little more alien and, well, exotic, but I reckon they'll add them eventually. Could be they just didn't have time for all the ship classes.

Kind of my thoughts, too, but hopefully they will add them. Particularly the Sentinels since they're already semi-modular and have lots of cool parts.

Kind of disappointed they didn't boost ship storage with this, though. Haven't really had the chance to make my own when my current collection is all rares or expedition ships I don't want to get rid of.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

can I do a skinny x-wing fighter chassis with big ol' hauler orbs

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

istewart posted:

can I do a skinny x-wing fighter chassis with big ol' hauler orbs

I know you're making a dick joke but now I wish I could make the Satellite of Love.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Axel Serenity posted:

Kind of my thoughts, too, but hopefully they will add them. Particularly the Sentinels since they're already semi-modular and have lots of cool parts.

Kind of disappointed they didn't boost ship storage with this, though. Haven't really had the chance to make my own when my current collection is all rares or expedition ships I don't want to get rid of.

I agree. I ended up scrapping the Utopia Speeder, since I never bother using it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I need to make an Interstellar Ecto-1.

An Ecto-8000 or something.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

My conclusion is that while this is a major step forward and provides a lot of nice choice, there's still a lot that needs to be done with ship building/customization. Primarily to include more ship types, being able to look at specific parts (and have an indication whether or not you already own that part) while in the ship purchase screen and being able to customize ships you already own, even if it's paint. Make it cost materials/units/nanites but it would be great to have. I can only really assume it was a timing issue rather than an actual decision to not include that stuff.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Stare-Out posted:

My conclusion is that while this is a major step forward and provides a lot of nice choice, there's still a lot that needs to be done with ship building/customization. Primarily to include more ship types, being able to look at specific parts (and have an indication whether or not you already own that part) while in the ship purchase screen and being able to customize ships you already own, even if it's paint. Make it cost materials/units/nanites but it would be great to have. I can only really assume it was a timing issue rather than an actual decision to not include that stuff.

i mean this is all stuff i thought it wouldve main sense to include years ago, before many of the major updates. imo customizable - or at least paintable - ships makes more sense as a basic feature of the game than obtaining freighters or building bases or going on expeditions etc so i always assumed there was some other reason why this stuff is particularly difficult for them to add. especially given how limited it is once they did

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Earwicker posted:

i mean this is all stuff i thought it wouldve main sense to include years ago, before many of the major updates. imo customizable - or at least paintable - ships makes more sense as a basic feature of the game than obtaining freighters or building bases or going on expeditions etc so i always assumed there was some other reason why this stuff is particularly difficult for them to add. especially given how limited it is once they did

I can only assume that they had concerns whether it would somehow take away from one of the main features of the game which is ship hunting but then why exclude the shuttle type ships which are among the four original types of ships the game had. I can only assume they'll come in future updates along with solar ships but maybe they want to preserve exotics and sentinel ships so people will have something to hunt for.

But then hunting for ship parts wouldn't be too radical a replacement as an activity. In fact the whole enterprise of ship building is already a pretty great time/money/nanite sink for a gameplay loop so I don't know. It's weird.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I kind of have a feeling sentinel ships will eventually come if they keep updating the game long enough because the original quest to get the ship is basically finding parts except because the parts weren't around it's finding places to mine special plants, and the design is pretty modular.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Being able to at least recolor ships you already own should have been part of this update, but at the very least I'm confident they'll get to it eventually. Hopefully as an append to the current patch and not waiting an epoch for another comprehensive feature update.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Rick posted:

I kind of have a feeling sentinel ships will eventually come if they keep updating the game long enough because the original quest to get the ship is basically finding parts except because the parts weren't around it's finding places to mine special plants, and the design is pretty modular.

I didn't even think about that, the questline to get a sentinel ship is pretty extensive so maybe they don't want to include those in the ship building stuff because acquiring them is an event of its own.

5er posted:

Being able to at least recolor ships you already own should have been part of this update, but at the very least I'm confident they'll get to it eventually. Hopefully as an append to the current patch and not waiting an epoch for another comprehensive feature update.

Yeah I was really surprised that editing or recoloring your owned ships, be they "regular" class or exotics or whatever wasn't included in the update. I feel like that's coming down the line but it would've made a ton of sense to put it into this update.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I think a lot of the ship customisable jank might be due to how the backend systems work. I have no doubt that they'll get around to the other classes eventually.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

You can see shuttles (and black paint!) as an option when they show the ship builder in the trailer, so I assume something is broken with them, maybe they will be added soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3svmrkl3_M

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

This update brought me back after apparently 10 months. Of course I'm getting massive unplayable amounts of stutter even when it's showing over 100 FPS. This happened to me before and was randomly fixed after the next big update.
Newish i7 and 4070Ti Super. Tried all the vsync options, DLSS, dropping to Medium etc :(

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Ah, the modern era.

I still fondly remember one of the past big updates, that caused my PS5-version to immediately crash whenever I used the terrain tool.

Forced me to just stop playing until that bug was fixed.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

If they wrap up active development of this game with only one (1) set of xenofauna vocalizations implemented across the years and years of dev, I’m going to be so disappointed in them

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

What's the best way to get a hold of frig modules these days?

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Black Griffon posted:

Do a mission for one, and then dupe glitch it into like two hundred of em.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

They tightened up fleet raid incidence but I think they’re more common in lawful space. You can always fly by and scan modules.

Beyond that, scour mission boards, and send frigates on expeditions; they’re a drip feed but ime they’re pretty reliable in spinning up x1 a day on average.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The explorer's guild envoy has one for free on almost every space station if you have the reputation for it so doing their missions is worth it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Cheers, I'll pump up my rep and do some missions. Don't feel like getting into duping.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I mostly got into duping because my 100h save file got completely booched by the update, so I'm trying to rebuild to where I was quickly.
But it's addicting.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I appreciate that they finally scrapped all the economic sub-classifications. They added flavor, sure, but it was never fun to stop and google which symbol indicated advanced material economies and which indicated high-tech

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I don't dupe but I was just hanging out in the Anomaly and someone gave me billions of credits worth of trade good so SOMEONE is.

EDIT: I'm going to spend it all on ships to scrap for parts.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Still waiting for Orbital on game pass lmao Microsoft ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I don't dupe but I was just hanging out in the Anomaly and someone gave me billions of credits worth of trade good so SOMEONE is.

EDIT: I'm going to spend it all on ships to scrap for parts.

Nah there's literally just a point where you have your infrastructure set up to make stacks and stacks of stasis devices or whatever, and you've hit the credit cap but just keep making them because what else are you going to do with all this infrastructure so you may as well just hand them out to randos on the anomaly rather than let all that work go to waste.