Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
For some reason I was expecting a variety of space station interiors, not just one new (and awesome it is!) one.

Some of the station hit boxes are still hinky, and I have to move around a bit to activate them, especially the left hand starship one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I hope they make procedurally generated interiors at some point too, but the new one is so much better than the old one in any case.

I'm not too keen on how the guilds work, because now there's essentially one guild for a big region of space, and if you're in the same neighborhood for a while you go a long time without meeting envoys from the other two guilds.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

If nothing else the guild system gives you a good reason to go black hole mode.

Idk about procedurally generated station interiors, though. The uniformity is practical and purposeful — if you’re just passing through and the layout of where vendors are in relation to one another shuffles, people are going to HATE it

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Lib and let die posted:

Still waiting for Orbital on game pass lmao Microsoft ftw

If you haven't seen already it's been released.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

MikeyTsi posted:

If you haven't seen already it's been released.

Neat, thanks!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

decided to stop buying ships for parts and actually test out the build process.

behold, the S-Class Explorer, (GCU) Reckless Unseriousness

it looks like someone glued jet engines to a bug, and I love it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I haven't yet had a lot of time with this update yet, but are the ship parts also distinguished by decals? I'm assuming we can't put decals on it, but rather search out the parts that already have the decals we want on them (out of the available selection, of course)?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I haven't yet had a lot of time with this update yet, but are the ship parts also distinguished by decals? I'm assuming we can't put decals on it, but rather search out the parts that already have the decals we want on them (out of the available selection, of course)?

I'm not sure how it handles decals tbh, there's no mention of them at all in any of the part descriptions, which are distinguished by icon and name.

It's a bit annoying, the Explorer hulls in particular only have two icons (one for upright, one for prone) but have a lot of variants within those two types; hence the "Dragonfly" and "D" designations on that part in the image.

Savage Bliss
Jul 4, 2007

woah, just realized you can summon/switch your ships in a space station now. Unless that has been there a while?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Basic Chunnel posted:

If nothing else the guild system gives you a good reason to go black hole mode.

Idk about procedurally generated station interiors, though. The uniformity is practical and purposeful — if you’re just passing through and the layout of where vendors are in relation to one another shuffles, people are going to HATE it

Yeah I wouldn’t mind some/more decorative changes station to station but everything should stay where it is.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Savage Bliss posted:

woah, just realized you can summon/switch your ships in a space station now. Unless that has been there a while?

Nope, that was added this most recent update

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I totally get this, honestly just having three distinct variants with a bunch of procedurally generated decorative elements would be good enough for me. Distinct enough that you recognize the layout the minute you enter the station.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The haulers you can make can be absolutely enormous. Also I tried to replicate the cover art ship but this is as close as I could get.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

The haulers you can make can be absolutely enormous. Also I tried to replicate the cover art ship but this is as close as I could get.

I always thought the cover art ship was just a Radiant Pillar but with a pointy nose. That looks pretty close, though, nice job.

I am having a hell of a time finding ship parts. I can buy ships, sure, but I have like 50M units and they'll go fast if I keep doing this. I get the emergency maps, but more often than not, it's for a crashed freighter or an abandoned building.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Thanks! Yeah I've already spent an ungodly amount of units getting parts and according to the list of parts I don't even have half of the fighter wings available because there are so many variations. I did learn for the first time that some fighter wings have a little R2 droid sitting in them. :3:

There apparently is an exploit currently in the game when disassembling ships where the moment you get a part and the dialog box closes, open the quick menu and summon any other ship to the space station. The pulped ship will stay in your collection and can be disassembled again and again. I've been looking for a reason to spend all my money and nanites and I feel iffy about exploits so I haven't tried it but that should work for the time being in case anyone else feels the need to get a leg up.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

I always thought the cover art ship was just a Radiant Pillar but with a pointy nose. That looks pretty close, though, nice job.

I am having a hell of a time finding ship parts. I can buy ships, sure, but I have like 50M units and they'll go fast if I keep doing this. I get the emergency maps, but more often than not, it's for a crashed freighter or an abandoned building.

If you use the mech to scan for distress signal it’s slightly better than the maps. It’s like 50/50 abandoned ship you can claim, or an actual guy in distress you can help if you want.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm slightly annoyed you have to destroy a ship to just get one part from it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I'm slightly annoyed you have to destroy a ship to just get one part from it.

I'm okay with this because it still makes ship hunting valid, and gives more end-game content.

Also ship parts are the same no matter the quality of the ship, and space stations always have the same ship variants arriving. So if you've got enough money to buy them, you just have to wait for three to spawn.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Haulers are still goddamn expensive though. I've frequently seen some B and C-class ones go for 70-90 million. I'm pretty sure storage space has a huge effect on price and haulers have the most space by default which would explain it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Am I missing a door somewhere, or are there no more locked rooms on stations? Did I craft this AtlasPass v3 for nothing? That's where you used to find the Remembrance terminals and it'd be a shame if they were gone

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I'm going to go double check but I think abandoned system stations still have their old layout (which is now the old-old layout?), which would arguably make "more sense" for rememberance terminals anyways, and you could always find them in ground installations in specific layouts as well

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Found this interesting look into the game's music. I have the soundtrack which is great but always wondered just how the music in the game was procedural.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ngM8W6Gx4Q

I hope they use 65daysofstatic for Light No Fire too.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I'm going to go double check but I think abandoned system stations still have their old layout (which is now the old-old layout?), which would arguably make "more sense" for rememberance terminals anyways, and you could always find them in ground installations in specific layouts as well

Oh absolutely, but the groundside installations take the v2 AtlasPass; mostly I'm just wondering if the v3 is functionally obsolete now (it's not, because of the abandoned stations, but still)

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Finally got myself a freighter (Class A) so I spent a bunch of today setting that up,and grabbing a few new ship bits as I've jetted between stations. It'll take a lot of ship expansion modules to match my Starborn Runner, but I think I'd rather like having a ship that's 'mine'.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!
I am just getting into this game and trying to digest everything. One thing that I am struggling with is playing without any kind of map, am I missing it, or is there just not one? The closest thing I have is when I'm flying my ship around this first planet where I made my base, I can see icons on the radar but I don't know what they are and they're all a 5-10min flight away. Last night I flew out to one of the icons to check it out and found a bunch of angry robots that attacked me then followed me all the way back to my base.

I did find a small trading hub near my base on accident, but then I couldn't remember where it was and didn't want to burn fuel flying around to find it. I also managed to find a distress call for a damaged ship, repaired it enough to fly it but now I don't know what to do with it or where to go to sell/salvage it, or how I would go about keeping it (it's better than the starter ship).

Maybe I am getting ahead of myself because my current tutorial goal is to learn the blueprint for the biofuel generator but I haven't found the resource I need to unlock it yet. If I focus on the tutorial goals, will they eventually lead me to traders and other points of interest?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

I am just getting into this game and trying to digest everything. One thing that I am struggling with is playing without any kind of map, am I missing it, or is there just not one? The closest thing I have is when I'm flying my ship around this first planet where I made my base, I can see icons on the radar but I don't know what they are and they're all a 5-10min flight away. Last night I flew out to one of the icons to check it out and found a bunch of angry robots that attacked me then followed me all the way back to my base.

I did find a small trading hub near my base on accident, but then I couldn't remember where it was and didn't want to burn fuel flying around to find it. I also managed to find a distress call for a damaged ship, repaired it enough to fly it but now I don't know what to do with it or where to go to sell/salvage it, or how I would go about keeping it (it's better than the starter ship).

Maybe I am getting ahead of myself because my current tutorial goal is to learn the blueprint for the biofuel generator but I haven't found the resource I need to unlock it yet. If I focus on the tutorial goals, will they eventually lead me to traders and other points of interest?

Following the tutorial will teach you pretty much everything you need to know, but to answer your question about maps, specifically, no there are none.

You will encounter a cartographer (many actually) and there will be the exchange of 'maps', both buying, selling, and trading, but these won't be physical things you can view in game. Instead, you'll get beacons to locations.

The thing about NMS is that traversal and discovery is a lot like the internet itself; you're truly always just one jump away from, generally, everything, though discovering things as you go takes times. Think of portals like bookmarks and links, and every location with a portal like a webpage. And on those webpages, your browser (which is your exosuit, exocraft, and space ship/freighter) will have options to direct you to certain locations.

For example, I have an option to scan for the nearest trade outpost, which will do just that. You may not have that tech at the beginning, but eventually you'll get it.

The Anomaly is truly the one shared constant hub, but you really have to think of your journey through the universe of NMS as creating a web browsing history, and eventually you'll even start making your own webpages (bases) and even changing up your browser (customizing exosuit/craft/starship) to add style and different, additional functionality.

Also, sentinels are pop-ups. Sometimes easy to kill, other times killing them just makes more appear until you go somewhere else.

Oh! One very important thing to remember is that every single space station you visit will be tracked in your history, so when you go to use a portal and select 'space stations', you'll see, in reverse order of visitation, every one you've been to. Space stations really are your 'port in the storm that is NMS' vast universe'.

You can't play or expect this game to be played like any other open world game. It's so massive that points of interest are repeated throughout; it might be very difficult to locate a certain PoI, but you're never too far away from that type of PoI anyway, and if you want to be pointed to it, go get that type of map from the cartographer at the nearest space station. For example, if I wanted to find a crashed freighter, well, there are possibly hundreds on the planet I'm currently on, but the land is so vast, good luck just happening upon one. Instead, I should go buy an 'emergency signal' map, which, among other types of emergencies, will also eventually point me to a given crashed freighter.

So you're rarely looking for just one specific spot, you're more like looking for 'a spot of this type'.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 9, 2024

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!
That makes sense, thanks for the detailed explanation. The vastness of this game is pretty crazy but I'll keep on the tutorial for now and figure the rest out as I go.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

That makes sense, thanks for the detailed explanation. The vastness of this game is pretty crazy but I'll keep on the tutorial for now and figure the rest out as I go.

It should also be noted, and I think it was ITT where I read this, that when this game launched, the focus of the entire game was 'moving forward'. I didn't play it until 2021, so some other goons here can probably clear this up, but I believe that going back to previous locations used to be either much more difficult, or outright impossible.

Nowadays, though there are a few things I wish they'd allow*, it's fairly simple to jump back into your past. And the moment you establish any base, it gets added as a place you can teleport to, even if you haven't actually added a teleport to it.

(*is there an easy way to just pick a planet or system from your history and set a marker or waypoint to it? There's some waypoint system, but I felt like I couldn't reliably find it when I would check, like it was only an option in some part of the discoveries tab, and not literally everywhere, as I'd prefer it. Like "Oh, see a neat creature from 55+ hours ago? Click on it, get an option to set a waypoint, and you'll easily be able to go back to it, even if you didn't set up a base there". Does that exist?)

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 9, 2024

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

It should also be noted, and I think it was ITT where I read this, that when this game launched, the focus of the entire game was 'moving forward'. I didn't play it until 2021, so some other goons here can probably clear this up, but I believe that going back to previous locations used to be either much more difficult, or outright impossible.

Nowadays, though there are a few things I wish they'd allow*, it's fairly simple to jump back into your past. And the moment you establish any base, it gets added as a place you can teleport to, even if you haven't actually added a teleport to it.

(*is there an easy way to just pick a planet or system from your history and set a marker or waypoint to it? There's some waypoint system, but I felt like I couldn't reliably find it when I would check, like it was only an option in some part of the discoveries tab, and not literally everywhere, as I'd prefer it. Like "Oh, see a neat creature from 55+ hours ago? Click on it, get an option to set a waypoint, and you'll easily be able to go back to it, even if you didn't set up a base there". Does that exist?)

From the Discoveries panel there is totally a way to set a custom destination to a star. Just put your cursor over a star from the big list and read all the tooltips. Setting a wp has been in there all this time. I actually had to look this up recently myself and I felt like a turbo loving dummy when I realized it was always there, I just wasn't reading everything.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

5er posted:

From the Discoveries panel there is totally a way to set a custom destination to a star. Just put your cursor over a star from the big list and read all the tooltips. Setting a wp has been in there all this time. I actually had to look this up recently myself and I felt like a turbo loving dummy when I realized it was always there, I just wasn't reading everything.

Oh, ok, nice. I'll remember that.

So, if I'm in the Wonders screen, looking at the hottest planet, for example, can I quickly set a waypoint to it? I'd try it right now, but I'm not at my computer.

And if I'm at a portal, looking at various destinations, is one of them denoted as being the system with my waypoint?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

So, if I'm in the Wonders screen, looking at the hottest planet, for example, can I quickly set a waypoint to it? I'd try it right now, but I'm not at my computer.

And if I'm at a portal, looking at various destinations, is one of them denoted as being the system with my waypoint?

You can't wp planets, you can wp their stars from the Discoveries list. When you go to warp in your ship or your freighter, you can change the the path to 'Custom' wp and it'll give you a line from there.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm trying to grab a cool exotic from the reddit coordinates exchange and it's just refusing to spawn. fine i'll just hang around this system for however long it takes until it does

5er posted:

can't confirm since i'm on playstation where this does work, but i'm sure i remember people complaining this isn't possible on xbox

Yeah just hover over it, hit "view discovery" to take you to the planet view, then hit back to get the list of systems where you can set a waypoint.

no, not as far as i can tell. just shows up on the galaxy map. it does for quests though.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

"Waypoints" are unfortunately not super reliable, at least on PC-- I've only ever had luck with them if it's something I already know is nearby, since in my experience they only show up on the map screen and can end up sending you to the literal other side of the galaxy with no obvious way of seeing that's where it's pointing you.

That said, if you continue the main quest you'll eventually get access to something called Portal Glyphs that give you access to portals (not to be confused with teleporters on space stations and bases), and (from what I recall on the most recent patch notes) portal glyph coordinates should show up on most discoveries now, so there's theoretically A Way to get back to the general location of any previous discovery even it's way the hell elsewhere.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

"Waypoints" are unfortunately not super reliable, at least on PC-- I've only ever had luck with them if it's something I already know is nearby, since in my experience they only show up on the map screen and can end up sending you to the literal other side of the galaxy with no obvious way of seeing that's where it's pointing you.

That said, if you continue the main quest you'll eventually get access to something called Portal Glyphs that give you access to portals (not to be confused with teleporters on space stations and bases), and (from what I recall on the most recent patch notes) portal glyph coordinates should show up on most discoveries now, so there's theoretically A Way to get back to the general location of any previous discovery even it's way the hell elsewhere.

Yep. This is it. This is The Way.

It takes a bit for you to unlock all of the portal glyphs, but once you do, this would be the preferred method of travel to a specific system shown in your discoveries tab, I guess. Thanks for reminding me!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Did they add a new icon to the galaxy map in this patch? It’s next to a star and has like three bullets? Missiles? Next to each other. When I warped there it had pirates attacking a freighter but I think it was a coincidence since the icon is still there even after I completed the event. It’s not tied to any quest from what I can tell nor do I have a frigate there.

E: Picture

It's the second from the right. It looks like three specific-style freighters.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 9, 2024

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Behold, my parking skills!

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Stare-Out posted:

Behold, my parking skills!

Like a glove.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Goddamnit let me build Sentinel/Living/Exotic/Solar ships next patch, because I've got three Exotics sat here that I want to make an unholy amalgam of.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Solar at least must be on the way, because shuttles were absolutely supposed to be buildable, you can see it in the trailer even, but they axed it last minute for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I don't think you'll ever be able to build Living ships or Squid Exotics, but Shuttles, Ball Exotics, and Solars must be planned for, they're all just as modular as the supported classes.