Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

currently trying to work out the bare minimum to repair if I want to rapidly shift galaxies with portal hopping to each center. not sure if I need a fully upgraded hyperdrive to go from portal planet -> center warp. otherwise I can just repair the drive, the shield, the pulse engine and the launcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
What is the point of switching galaxies? I'm still in my first one

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Jarvisi posted:

What is the point of switching galaxies? I'm still in my first one

not a lot tbh, galaxies have a "type" which affects the ratio of different planet biomes, so some have more paradise worlds than others, but generally it's more of the same.

I just don't have a current in game goal so I'm going to go visit that goon planet talked about upthread

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

not a lot tbh, galaxies have a "type" which affects the ratio of different planet biomes, so some have more paradise worlds than others, but generally it's more of the same.

I just don't have a current in game goal so I'm going to go visit that goon planet talked about upthread

one exception are my favorite, "silent" galaxies, the reason for that is that back when more exotic types were introduced, the devs ran a script just replacing many of the boring dead planets with them, and as a side effect, those silent ancient galaxies carry since then a disproportionally high amount of really weird poo poo with them, far in excess of the individual differences between the other galaxy types

because silent galaxies had the highest amount of dead planets, so when the script ran through, they turned weird

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Libluini posted:

one exception are my favorite, "silent" galaxies, the reason for that is that back when more exotic types were introduced, the devs ran a script just replacing many of the boring dead planets with them, and as a side effect, those silent ancient galaxies carry since then a disproportionally high amount of really weird poo poo with them, far in excess of the individual differences between the other galaxy types

because silent galaxies had the highest amount of dead planets, so when the script ran through, they turned weird

I did not know this and now I want to check those out.

Also, is there anything in-game that gives a list of all of the galaxies? I've seen and saved many charts online from wikis and places like that, but always wondered where they got that info from, unless they data mined them.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Reinstalling to get in on this goon planetary dogpile. Closest thing to realizing Goon Island we'll ever get.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Goon Prime just happens to be in a good position galactically, and a classification of Dissonance & Piracy, whilst also being a pretty planet with decent sized fauna.

There's no reason to care beyond that.

Reminder for new page:

E: It's just got the right colour palette to make pretty screenshots...

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 18, 2024

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Libluini posted:

Do the planets actually get weird or is it just the “planet with the broken tvs” and the “planet of the spheres held down with ropes” over and over?

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Shockeh posted:

Goon Prime just happens to be in a good position galactically, and a classification of Dissonance & Piracy, whilst also being a pretty planet with decent sized fauna.

There's no reason to care beyond that.

Reminder for new page:

E: It's just got the right colour palette to make pretty screenshots...

You got a real nice curious deposit there, don't even really need to build walls.

These craters are just begging to be made into goatse's.

Organic Lube User fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 18, 2024

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Before today, the only time I actually made a galaxy jump via the galactic core was as a result of following the main story arc. I actually didn't know how to use the core to jump until figuring it out today!

Luckily, I already made a base in Eissentam years ago. I got into it from visiting a community featured base via the anomaly warpgate, then hopped in my ship and kept warping until I found my own fresh, undiscovered system.

Galactic core hopping is a royal pain in the rear end with all your poo poo broken on arrival! At least making it to the core of a galaxy is easy enough- alien charts until you find a monolith, monolith to find a stargate, and then just google on up a core system code :v:

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

5er posted:

Before today, the only time I actually made a galaxy jump via the galactic core was as a result of following the main story arc. I actually didn't know how to use the core to jump until figuring it out today!

Luckily, I already made a base in Eissentam years ago. I got into it from visiting a community featured base via the anomaly warpgate, then hopped in my ship and kept warping until I found my own fresh, undiscovered system.

Galactic core hopping is a royal pain in the rear end with all your poo poo broken on arrival! At least making it to the core of a galaxy is easy enough- alien charts until you find a monolith, monolith to find a stargate, and then just google on up a core system code :v:

I have a little solar ship I use for the final jump. No modules but the basics so there's not much to repair. Then switch to a backup multi tool. I'm either way on removing my exosuit gear because there's so much of it that it's basically the same amount of work to remove and replace (and get it all arranged the same way) the items as it is to do the repair on each one.
But I'm done finding new universes for a week while I give birth to this drat living ship. Core jumps reset the egg timer.

Also, sorry Shockeh, apparently there's no way to chat from the PS4 version, all I can do is emote like a douchebag.

Organic Lube User fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 18, 2024

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I built a stubby, ugly tower atop the butte that overlooks the Leper's Colon and called it a night.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Construction begun on Low Goon Orbit

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Shockeh posted:

gently caress yeah glitch build me, daddy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

5er posted:

and then just google on up a core system code :v:

If you go to the monolith portal, power it up, and then just put in the first symbol over and over again, you can get VERY close to the core. Like within 6k LY. Power up your freighter and make a few jumps and you're good!

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 18, 2024

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Organic Lube User posted:

gently caress yeah glitch build me, daddy.

Structure coming along nicely!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If you go to the monolith portal, power it up, and then just put in the first symbol over and over again, you can get VERY close to the core. Like within 6k LY. Power up your freighter and make a few jumps and you're good!

The wiki page on Galaxy Centre has a portal code that is either right next to the core or literally one hop away for almost every galaxy.

It's Bird Sunset Sunset Bird Sunset Eclipse Sunset Sunset Balloon Sunset Sunset Balloon

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The wiki page on Galaxy Centre has a portal code that is either right next to the core or literally one hop away for almost every galaxy.

It's Bird Sunset Sunset Bird Sunset Eclipse Sunset Sunset Balloon Sunset Sunset Balloon

Oh nice!

I'm currently in the galaxy right before the goon planet one, I'd be happy to taxi people there, though I won't be able to until tonight (like 8pm EST).

Also, if anyone has an Eissantam base, that's just two galaxies away, so you're almost there yourself.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 18, 2024

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I'll try to remember this in about 9 years whenever the next arbitrary goon rush is declared :D

drat, that's even nicer.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

Shockeh posted:

Looks sick. What is the floor of the large open-air area in the middle? Is it just a bunch of triangles? Been trying to find a nice foundation to build on water.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Man, building on console sucks. Y'all make such a nicer bases.
If y'all see me puttering about, I'm not being rude I just can't chat. All I can do is emote.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

My contribution so far is scanning up a lot of flora, fauna and rocks and giving them stupid names.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Do the planets actually get weird or is it just the “planet with the broken tvs” and the “planet of the spheres held down with ropes” over and over?

I haven't even seen all the different types of weird planets, so I can't answer that question, sorry.

Edit: I mean, technically the answer is "no", since there are more than two types of weird planets...

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Zet posted:

Looks sick. What is the floor of the large open-air area in the middle? Is it just a bunch of triangles? Been trying to find a nice foundation to build on water.

It’s all of the Triangles, but be warned, once you stop using squares, nothing will align nicely ever again.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Organic Lube User posted:

Man, building on console sucks. Y'all make such a nicer bases.
If y'all see me puttering about, I'm not being rude I just can't chat. All I can do is emote.

you say that but I've found glitch building a lot easier to do with a controller than a keyboard

might just be habit/practice but I just don't have the muscle memory to wire glitch if it's not a controller

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I think I'm three galaxy hops away from Aptarkaba, got the rhythm down pretty well now. Only thing I seem to constantly run out of is Oxygen.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Why not just portal here?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Shockeh posted:

:confused:

I'm portalling to the Galaxy Centre, going through the black hole, and repeating to traverse galaxies as quickly as possible. I'm running out of Oxygen due to a combination of needing to build fuel containers for the hyperdrive (it needs to be full to reach the core, and sometimes the portal is one stop away), power the portal, and keep myself alive after each jump. Sometimes I need to mine more copper or whatever so I end up spending time on the surface of planets. I can't be bothered unstashing all my exo-suit upgrades so my sprint, jetpack, and general life support systems are absolute garbage. Hence being low on Oxygen fairly often.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 19, 2024

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shockeh posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but those portal glyphs you posted only work for someone if they're already in your galaxy.

If someone in Euclid or any other galaxy puts them in, they'll go to a completely different location, but in the galaxy they're in.

So, in order for anyone to visit that planet, they first have to get to your galaxy, and if they've never been there, they'll need to get to the centre of these galaxies to travel to the next one, and so forth, to finally make it to yours and THEN use the glyphs.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah on-planet portals only take you to places in the galaxy you're in. You can get to player bases from the Anomaly though, regardless of galaxy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah on-planet portals only take you to places in the galaxy you're in. You can get to player bases from the Anomaly though, regardless of galaxy.

Yep, if someone in the Anomaly has a base or something in your galaxy, then anyone can portal to it directly.

But let me tell you, the chances of randomly being in the Anomaly at the same time as someone else in your galaxy (which I didn't even realize existed, as I haven't checked the galaxy chart in a while) is slim to none. I'm shocked that I have places in Isdoraijung, because that was a fluke.

Except not really.... Isdoraijung, like Eissantem, is a lush galaxy, which seems to be a bit more popular than others, as most players want those paradise planets. Those paradise planets exist in all galaxies, but have a slightly higher chance of showing up when you're exploring a lush galaxy. Yours isn't one of those, Shockeh, so it's likely lacking in players even more than Eis or Isdor. At least that's my theory.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 19, 2024

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Wait. What's a portal code?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Jarvisi posted:

Wait. What's a portal code?

not much, what's a portal code with you?

when you go into photo mode, it should display a series of Glyphs. That's the planet's portal code. If you find a portal, and have unlocked the relevant Glyphs, you can use the portal to travel to that address.
eg:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but those portal glyphs you posted only work for someone if they're already in your galaxy.

If someone in Euclid or any other galaxy puts them in, they'll go to a completely different location, but in the galaxy they're in.

So, in order for anyone to visit that planet, they first have to get to your galaxy, and if they've never been there, they'll need to get to the centre of these galaxies to travel to the next one, and so forth, to finally make it to yours and THEN use the glyphs.

Well gently caress me I didn't know. :v:

(Or I did, and just forgot, I'm not sure.)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Now I'm remembering the old days when portals were just for visiting, and you had to return to your previous system afterwards.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shockeh posted:

Well gently caress me I didn't know. :v:

(Or I did, and just forgot, I'm not sure.)

All good! I actually love the idea of all of us making the pilgrimage to your weird but nice planet so we can build giant space dicks.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
to be fair, you can use portals to reach other galaxies than your own, it's just more convoluted:

you need to look at the list of official player bases put on display via the anomaly, and travel to them, if then one of them is further down the chain from your own, you just get out of that base on foot, call your ship and save on the next station you reach, presto, you're now in another galaxy

on my old PS4-account, I managed to make a super-jump from the early 10s into the late 40s this way

it's a nice way to take a short-cut if you are trying to reach one of the higher-numbered galaxies

5er
Jun 1, 2000

'Check the Anomaly teleporter for community featured bases in other galaxies' is how I got to Eissentam before even beating the Atlas plot for the first time.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Don't forget the space balls!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Been going photo-mode crazy lately