Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Six AM posted:

Get high, go around and see proc gen planets and animals and plants. Build your base however you want.

Hell yeah, looking forward to doing a bunch of this tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Fuuuuuuuck, I'm loving all the changes but the interface still gets stretched at 21:9 resolutions :negative:

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

For anyone on PC, the most important mod is working with Next now.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Vaporization of concentrated THC. In third person view, your guy pulls out a little dab rig and torch and gets blazed as gently caress.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

I just want a simple container with 10 slots that hold stacks of 250. :negative:

Edit:
Things I enjoy about NMS after 15 hours of play:
Exploring
Finding new animals and plants
Interacting with the aliens

Things I do not enjoy:
crafting
Space combat

Check out creative mode, it’s all the fun exploration and discovery parts but none of the tiresome crafting/grinding.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Quinton posted:

Do any of the simple floor tile pieces snap to the corridors or prefab rooms or landing pads?

I can connect landing pads to prefab rooms via I / T / X corridors but I can't seem to nicely put together an open-to-the-sky walkway between things.

Am I missing some trick for snapping these things together?

I've run out of blueprints to unlock with the blueprint analyzer, so I think I have all the possible bits handy...

If you build a wall at the end of an open walkway, you can then snap a landing pad to that wall and it creates a door. Unfortunately, if you then remove the wall, it creates a gap between the walkway and the landing pad, so you’re either stuck with a weird wall by itself, or going with enclosed walkways to make it look less weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

People ruin sandbox games like NMS and Elite by spoiling the discovery process and telling newbie players an "optimal gameplay route" which turns a game that should be about discovery and exploration into a boring grind. Don't spoil your experience.

Elite is about flying your ship instead of planetary stuff. The galaxy generation system, system orrery physics simulation, and flight model is a lot better than NMS.

I’d also mention that the terrain generation is really good. People often complain about this game not generating true mountains but I’ve seen plenty of massive mountains/ranges and impact craters and stuff in Elite. Falling/flying down the side of a 20 km tall mountain or jumping a 5 km deep canyon can be a lot of fun. Currently you can only land on barren, airless planets but eventually that’ll be expanded.

It’s very much a make your own fun kind of game. There’s no main story to guide you, you just get dumped into a big galaxy and it’s up to you to figure out what to do. The game could do a better job of exposing various things but there’s lots to see and do and “a mile wide but an inch deep” is a load of nonsense at this point.

Edit: If you want a bit more guidance than what the game offers, try joining up with the Goon faction, Diamond Frogs. I like cruising around solo personally but there's plenty of fun stuff to do as a group too.

Eyud fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 17, 2018