Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Here's my quick 'oh poo poo, a new update, let's reinstall and see if it's any better' story.

I started a 'normal' game. Even with an i9 PC with an M.2 SSD and an install of Win10 that's less than a week old, loading still took two minutes. Beats the 5 to 7min from last time that I remember, I can be fair.
The 'normal' game started me on a planet with an extreme heat hazard. The thing I'm supposed to do next is mine ferrite so I can fix the scanner and then *find my loving ship*? Really? They thought that was an improvement?
All that was around for ferrite are itty bitty pebbles, and none of the yellow poo poo you need for recharging your environmental hazard shield. For extra fun, half the pebbles were actually mimic life forms, further wasting my time. There were no caves to duck into, no loving ship to hop into to save my rear end from the extreme heat hazard. I loving died in about five minutes, with only 3/4ths the ferrite needed to fix my scanner.

Quit the game and uninstalled. This game and its developers can gently caress off forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

You got hosed over by the RNG. Big deal.

Yup no big, especially with it off my system.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Got back into the game after a couple years, and I had a good time of it. One annoying thing though, is that it seems the exocraft scanners for finding drop pods or crash sites or anything particularly specific, will send you back to places you've already been.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I was all excited to have built a mech exosuit! Then I drove around in it a bit. What a loving headache. There is no reason I can think of that backpedal can't be backpedal, instead the big stupid machine has to walk a giant awkward arc that gets you into more trouble if you're trying to get out of it. I'm assuming if the Minotaur's been out for a year in this shape, they're never fixing it.

Also exciting was discovering the 'scan an underwater life form and boom it's extinct' feature. Good stuff.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I have been through twenty five distress star charts and haven't seen a single stranded lifeform rescue mission yet. How bad is my luck?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Devor posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a bug. See upthread the advice to do the Nexus mission (wait a while if it's not offered as a mission)

Oh gently caress brilliant, I'll go see if that's an option.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Spoke too loving soon it appears.

The mission in question is at the Nexus, great! I start it, head out, meet the stranded guy, then start rooting about for the modules I'm supposed to unearth with the terrain manipulator.

Until the last module left is apparently stuck inside of a large noclip structure that can't be tunneled into or destroyed.

Well played, hello games, you loving filthy pieces of poo poo.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Haha I grinded this weekend until my ship components were completely fixed and built a base in a separate star system so I could build a minotaur geobay. I was not able to summon one and had zero luck finding a neighboring base with a geobay. Oh well, I think I still took the same amount of time I would've to clear the season. Apart for the big injections of cash and nanomachine clusters, I didn't feel like the seasonal step unlocks were huge contributors to progress.

In other news of my unsolicited opinions, wow is settlement management loving boring and unrewarding.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

LegionAreI posted:

Do settlements just not spawn on moons? I have my base on a good moon that isn't trying to murder me every 5 minutes and every time I use a chart it sends me to either Planet Bullshit or Everything Is On Fire.

Also the last time I played was before water planets and imagine my suprise when the Artemis storyline makes you deal with one. Have been spending a lot of time trying to get the sub so I can go back without terrible problems!

I haven't seen a planet without a hazard since like 2017.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Dwesa posted:

is that sandworm head on player?

I'm going to wear that loving thing forever until something more horrific comes along.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Powershift posted:

get past what now?

I hope whoever designed the living ship quest always has sand in their shoes that they can't get out and every time they take their shoes off it gets sand everywhere.

And they can only take off their shoes once every 24 hours and can never just dump out all the sand, only some of it. Then the shoes have to go back on until the next 24 hour timer ends.

Jenny Agutter posted:

Finished up the expedition. Never once was touched by a big worm. It was cool having to do a derelict freighter as part of it. They should be more specific about where rewards show up, took me a while to realize the worm head was specific to vykeen bodies

I was thrown into the air three or four times. The first time it was hilarious. The subsequent times, I was in the middle of doing something that mattered, but it was just a mild inconvenience. The big problem I have is that I'm kind of easily prone to headaches, and there were moments when it felt like there was an unending string of breaching worms and the screen would just not stop shaking. I'd have to put the game down for an hour and let tylenol kick in.

5er fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 28, 2021

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Sentinel ship appearances are locked to the system/planet they're found on. My kid found one that looks a bit like a Silon raider from 70's BSG, with black & red accents. Here's the portal code:

If you didn't know, you can find the portal code for wherever you're at by just going into 'Photo Mode' from the quick menu.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Finally shut Laylaps off. Got tired of its propensity to get directly between you and EVERYTHING you're trying to scan, or shoot at, or just take a look at. Laylaps is the AI buddy version of the pet cat that will attempt to lay on your keyboard the moment you have work to do.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Black Griffon posted:

Been trying to get an A/S sentinel interceptor all day and I've had no luck, but man it's good money. Kill a sentinel capital to get at least 30-40 mill from the resulting interceptor salvage. When you're planetside, destroy enough corrupted sentinels to get one of those locator chits. When you're there, scan for a new ship on planet. Repeat until you wonder if you've gone colorblind.

Yeah that usually solves everything, but I don't have the frigate modules for the upgrade on my new save yet.

I blew tens of thousands of nanites to upgrade to S on mine. Earning the nanites goes faster than gambling on the 2% (I think) odds of spawning an S.

That's the second style of interceptor I found. Black with red and dark purple accents.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah I'm just poking fun, no worries. There's really nothing to worry about in this game anyway and we all make our own grinds. If I wanted to I could cheat myself into infinite everything very easily, but it's all about finding the grind that feels interesting and rewarding.

No flippance here but if you aren't opposed to using guides on how to ramp up your cash & nanites, there's a lot of 'git rich quick' plans out there that should be less agonizing to a person's nerves than the time it takes to gamble on popping an S-class ship. Plus, once you're rich, you're rich! Having a shitload of capital makes it easier to just make a shitload MORE capital when you need it that I can tell in NMS.

I completely respect a 'I've seen the guides and that's no way I want to play,' kind of response too. There's hardly a wrong way to do NMS if you are certain you're having fun the entire time.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

EDIT: also, my plan to have an entire squadron of yellow exotic fighters proceeds apace. Canary Wing is go.

Holy gently caress you're either the luckiest person I know, or the most patient. I've got all S-class pilots, but only one of em has an exotic. The rest of them are in jalopy looking tubs, which I feel is the perfect insult to all the elite-tier pirates they murder.

5er fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 12, 2023

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Lord help me I cannot stop collecting these things.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Schwawa posted:

did scanning payouts get nerfed at some point? I swear I used to get like 300k minimum for an animal scan but now I'm lucky to get half that.

edit: nevermind, just actually looked closely at my S class scanner upgrades and only one of them actually had a fauna scan bonus. Whoops!

After not playing for a bit and coming back at some point last year, just about all my procedural upgrades for exosuit, ship and multi-tool were just removed and sitting in my inventory, and I didn't notice until I did some scans and saw I wasn't making money like I used to.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I think once you learn the autotracking gimmick, all dogfighting is very trivialized. This is kind of a good thing because trying to dogfight legitimately isn't impossible or even necessarily difficult, it's just tedious as gently caress.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Saxophone posted:

Yeah now I’ve got missiles and I put my photon cannon in a juiced spot, plus I have an extra 50+% shield from mods and space fighting is easy peasy.

I might go anger some sentinels and see how I do this time.

What’s the best multi tool gun(s)? Bolt caster feels anemic versus things now.

I'm personally fond of the pulse spitter, especially once you've got a few S-class mods on it. You have to get used to the initial muzzle lift when you start shooting but it's great for deleting smaller poo poo at mid range and very satisfying with slower moving big targets.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Can this expedition get run an 2nd time so you get both cosmetic heads?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I get the Dream Aerial blueprint. I make one. I go pulse. It tells me there is an anomaly. I drop out of pulse, and there's a waypoint that looks like it's for a space whale, and a space whale sounding noise... but no space whale. What the gently caress?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Is there any alternative to having to wait three hours between events to get into a pirate freighter ship battle?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Stare-Out posted:

This game needs ships for the Autophage race. I want a rusted old jalopy looking ship to match the aesthetic but all my ships are slick as all hell.

There's a fight every 5 or so warps, in the past it was just small ships attacking a freighter that if you saved, you could claim/buy but now those fights are replaced by the pirate freighter attacking civilian ones that if you save you can claim/buy.

If three in-game hours haven't passed since the last encounter, you can keep on warping past the 5-count threshold with nothing happening.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I was hoping using an echo resonator would kick off some sort of questline but I got the same camp as always. :sigh:

People online are saying you have to find an abandoned system? I just want options for robot space ponchos!

EDIT: to be clear, I have a settlement, a pet sentinel, an AI ex-suit, and have access to the robot race in appearance customizers (possibly because of completing the previous expedition?).

I think you need to be 100% clear of all the story plot missions, and through the 'corruption / dissonance' content that was released with the prior content update. All anyone should need to do if they're all caught up is just warp to another system and the Autophage plot will trigger. My son still had some main story / prior patch mission stuff to complete when he jumped in last weekend and couldn't trigger the recent stuff.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Pretty sure I am, I'll try warping somewhere. Generally I travel by teleporter unless I feel like exploring.

I hope that's all you needed! Most any time they patch in new content, the trigger is typically 'jump to another system and you'll get a radio contact.'

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Staff achieved, friendship began with the Autophage

That third pic was a camp build in the side of a giant volcanic caldera, it was pretty :black101:

Here's my autophage cosmetic setup after grinding for those drat motes for a few days:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Lol so that's how the game deals with applying the hood to the dinner plate head.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Oh woah what, there are more staff parts to be found? I only looked at one mote vendor out of all this so far.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

ElectricSheep posted:

*sighs, rolls eyes, reinstalls*

:same:

I uninstalled it a few days after the last expedition got done figuring I'd be done until the next one.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Starbase visual improvements: did not disappoint!

Ship "editing" being limited to a build process of the three base-game starship types and no editing or at least recoloring of ships you already own: very disappointed.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Being able to at least recolor ships you already own should have been part of this update, but at the very least I'm confident they'll get to it eventually. Hopefully as an append to the current patch and not waiting an epoch for another comprehensive feature update.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It should also be noted, and I think it was ITT where I read this, that when this game launched, the focus of the entire game was 'moving forward'. I didn't play it until 2021, so some other goons here can probably clear this up, but I believe that going back to previous locations used to be either much more difficult, or outright impossible.

Nowadays, though there are a few things I wish they'd allow*, it's fairly simple to jump back into your past. And the moment you establish any base, it gets added as a place you can teleport to, even if you haven't actually added a teleport to it.

(*is there an easy way to just pick a planet or system from your history and set a marker or waypoint to it? There's some waypoint system, but I felt like I couldn't reliably find it when I would check, like it was only an option in some part of the discoveries tab, and not literally everywhere, as I'd prefer it. Like "Oh, see a neat creature from 55+ hours ago? Click on it, get an option to set a waypoint, and you'll easily be able to go back to it, even if you didn't set up a base there". Does that exist?)

From the Discoveries panel there is totally a way to set a custom destination to a star. Just put your cursor over a star from the big list and read all the tooltips. Setting a wp has been in there all this time. I actually had to look this up recently myself and I felt like a turbo loving dummy when I realized it was always there, I just wasn't reading everything.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Oh, ok, nice. I'll remember that.

So, if I'm in the Wonders screen, looking at the hottest planet, for example, can I quickly set a waypoint to it? I'd try it right now, but I'm not at my computer.

And if I'm at a portal, looking at various destinations, is one of them denoted as being the system with my waypoint?

You can't wp planets, you can wp their stars from the Discoveries list. When you go to warp in your ship or your freighter, you can change the the path to 'Custom' wp and it'll give you a line from there.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Stare-Out posted:

Behold, my parking skills!

Like a glove.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I KBAM during fights on the ground and mining, because it's easier to aim. The mouse controls on the spacecraft feel like crap.

Same. K/M for everything that isn't vehicle driving, and an XB gamepad nearby for anything that needs driving.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Reinstalling to get in on this goon planetary dogpile. Closest thing to realizing Goon Island we'll ever get.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Before today, the only time I actually made a galaxy jump via the galactic core was as a result of following the main story arc. I actually didn't know how to use the core to jump until figuring it out today!

Luckily, I already made a base in Eissentam years ago. I got into it from visiting a community featured base via the anomaly warpgate, then hopped in my ship and kept warping until I found my own fresh, undiscovered system.

Galactic core hopping is a royal pain in the rear end with all your poo poo broken on arrival! At least making it to the core of a galaxy is easy enough- alien charts until you find a monolith, monolith to find a stargate, and then just google on up a core system code :v:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I built a stubby, ugly tower atop the butte that overlooks the Leper's Colon and called it a night.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

If you go to the monolith portal, power it up, and then just put in the first symbol over and over again, you can get VERY close to the core. Like within 6k LY. Power up your freighter and make a few jumps and you're good!

I'll try to remember this in about 9 years whenever the next arbitrary goon rush is declared :D

The wiki page on Galaxy Centre has a portal code that is either right next to the core or literally one hop away for almost every galaxy.

It's Bird Sunset Sunset Bird Sunset Eclipse Sunset Sunset Balloon Sunset Sunset Balloon

drat, that's even nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

My contribution so far is scanning up a lot of flora, fauna and rocks and giving them stupid names.